Quantcast
The 336 Club - Page 9 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Rifle Country

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old March 19, 2007, 06:29 PM   #201
electrode1998

Talking extras

Hey Nem.
I just got home from work and all of my stuff I ordered for my 336A has arrived. The camo stock,Skinner sights, xs scope rail, scope rings, and of course the leupold scout scope. I guess I am going to do some gunsmithing tonight if I get the chance after the kids go to bed. If I do I will take some before and after pics to post. I just hope all of the stuff I ordered fits.
I'll let you know later. Hope your xs gr's work out.
Old March 19, 2007, 06:53 PM   #202
Nematocyst

Quote:
...all of my stuff I ordered for my 336A has arrived. The camo stock,Skinner sights, xs scope rail, scope rings, and of course the leupold scout scope.
Whoa! Christmas in March!

Congrats. Bet you're a happy person.
Old March 19, 2007, 07:02 PM   #203
Matt Dillon

Question Help - Question about Marlin lever action 30-30

Folks, a good friend of mine has acquired a Marlin lever action 30-30 (I'm not sure of the precise model) that is not sighted in correctly, and would like me to help him sight it in. I looked at it, and could see no adjustment screws on the rear or front sights. It looks as though pretty much all you can do is bend the rear sight! Is that it, or is there some sort of adjustment tool or technique used to sight these in? Thanks so much in advance for your help
Old March 19, 2007, 07:13 PM   #204
Nematocyst

Matt, others here are probably more qualified to answer your rear sight adjustment question than me (since I'm a relative newbie and not a fan of the stock sights), but the way I adjusted windage on mine was to tap the rear sight to the right or left with a small punch. (It'll slide over in the dovetail in the barrel.)

Shift it in the same direction that you want to move POI. That is, to move point of impact to the left, move the rear sight to the left.

It's imprecise, but it works with a bit of trial and error.

Please take this with appropriate number of grains of salt until expertise arrives.

Nem
Old March 19, 2007, 11:21 PM   #205
Legionnaire

Hey Nem, you left me off your roster! I've already posted to this thread (http://thehighroad.org/showpost.php?...0&postcount=54), and included a link to a range report on my 336RC. Been on the road recently, so didn't see the omission until today.

Great stuff here, by the way ...
Old March 19, 2007, 11:27 PM   #206
electrode1998

Exclamation sights removal

Hey anybody how the heck you remove the rear factory sights on a 336 A? I cannot find out any way to get them off so I can mount my xs scout scope rail. This is one of the last parts of my refit project on the gun and it is also one of the most important.
Thanks for any help. I have looked at the owners manual and all it tells me is how not to shoot someone.
Old March 19, 2007, 11:29 PM   #207
Brassman

Matt

Nem is exactly correct on how to move that rear sight. A good way to remember which way to move what is "FORS" front-opposite, rear-same. It usually doesn't take too much moving to get them sighted in unless the sight is already bent from being dropped or someone incorrectly bending things when they should be drifting them in the dovetail with a punch just like New said.

Electrode,
Just use a punch and drift the sight all the way out of the dovetail, but don't lose the sight. You may want to go back to it later. You never know.

Last edited by Brassman; March 19, 2007 at 11:32 PM. Reason: adding new lines
Old March 20, 2007, 12:34 AM   #208
fiVe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nem
You could just mention that you're a member of The 336 Club. We carry a lot of weight there.
Why, I was talking with Marlin's president over dinner last weekend, and ...
Nem, that gave me a chuckle. You are too cool.

I'm enjoying (and learning from) this thread more and more.

R/fiVe
Old March 20, 2007, 01:34 AM   #209
Nematocyst

Legion,

Sincere apologies for leaving you off. My bad. Not intentional.

I'm going to post another updated roster in a couple of days. You'll be on it.

So glad to find such interest and information in here.

Nem
Old March 20, 2007, 02:17 AM   #210
Charshooter

During my gun shows days, I picked out the best looking Marlins I could find, then traded them if they did not shoot well. I have a few choice ones now and they are probably the last rifles I will sell and most likely, they will be handed down after I am gone. I hope they stay in the family. The 30-30 is just too pretty and the 35 Rem is close, both have gold trigger half-cock and the Walnut is superb.
Old March 20, 2007, 11:13 AM   #211
SSN Vet

Nem said....

Quote:
We carry a lot of weight there.
well I tried to weigh hot air on my little Lee reloading scale and it must weigh less than .1 grain, because it just wouldn't register...

Maine Constitution Article 1, Section 16. To keep and bear arms.
Every citizen has a right to keep and bear arms and this right shall never be questioned.
Old March 20, 2007, 02:46 PM   #212
Nematocyst

Question Sighting in support advice

Quote:
I tried to weigh hot air on my little Lee reloading scale and it must weigh less than .1 grain, because it just wouldn't register...

As I would have expected.

I have a question about sighting in my 336 with the new ghost rings.

I'm hopefully going to get to the range for a while tomorrow.

I don't have any kind of "official" stand to set my rifle in while sighting in. At the range, there is an assortment of padded-fabric-covered wooden blocks (mostly made of either 2X4 or 4X4, etc), and there are sand bags available.

On my last trip, while trying to sight in my 39A, I realized that I have never been formally taught how to set up the rifle while sighting it. I found myself using a mismash of elbow support, barrel supported on blocks, etc. I realized that I wasn't even sure about where, exactly, to place the front end on the support block (relatively far forward or more back for greater balance?), or how high it should be, etc, etc. Nothing was really satisfactory, and I felt my consistency suffered because of it. (Not a good thing when shooting in general, but especially when sighting in!)

Can any of you recommend "the" way to go about it? That is, what is your sure fire (so to speak) bona fide method using blocks and/or sand bags for sighting in a center fire rifle, with specific attention to the 336 (if there are any special considerations for it)? If you have a link(s) to point to, all the better.

And if there are inexpensive stands (is that what they're called? Supports?) available that you'd recommend, I'm open to that too.

Neither of my rifles (336 nor 39A) are going to be "target" rifles. They're hunting guns. So I'm not interested in the most expensive fancy dancy equipment. I'm just looking for the best way to immobilize the rifle to accurately sight it in.

Then, I'll need to work on the best way to hold it (with and without support) in the field. (I'll ask that question in a later post.)

Thanks!

Nem
Old March 20, 2007, 04:26 PM   #213
electrode1998

Smile

Thanks for the info on removing the sights on the 336A. I actually figured it out right after I took a break from my work on my gun. I guess I had to step away and take a fresh look at it.
Thanks again.
Old March 20, 2007, 08:16 PM   #214
JustsayMo

Nem,
My advice to you would be to look for an experienced rifleman and ask for assistance. Most guys are more than willing to help. Some are full of crap but I've gotten some of my best tips from guys that I met at the range. Both Silhouette and Benchrest guys are among the best. At our club I have several Mentors that have improved my shooting by several fold. They are as happy to help as I am to learn.

As for rests and such. I haven't found that the zero from a fully supported rifle is necessarily the same as a rifle that was zero'd from a field position. Off the bench I'll use sandbags under the forend but never rear supports.

Shoot at a distance you can shoot groups (1" or 2" max) even if that is only 25 yards. Shoot groups and then move the sights. Don't chase the bull with a single shot. It will waste less ammo.
Old March 20, 2007, 10:50 PM   #215
CrackerJim

I use the same set up for sighting in as I do for checking what loading the rifle likes best. I'll set up with support under the foregrip and under the butt. I like to take as much of the shooter out of the equation as possible.

If you make sure you're seeing the correct sight picture when you set up on the bench for sighting in, it should be good for shooting from any position. I shoot a carbine standing with a sling. My sight picture is the same and it shoots the same less the variances of my ability to shoot.

If when shooting, it shoots differently, it would seem that you're not getting the same sight picture as the bench work. This could be faulty bench set up or incorrect sight picture when shooting.

Good luck. I'm still considering the various iron sight options for my 336 carbine (I know that it'll be an aperture of some sort) and will be interested to hear your impressions of the ghost ring.

Jim
Old March 21, 2007, 10:01 AM   #216
Z_Infidel

CrackerJim gives some good advice. A consistent sight picture is very important. My usual method is to use the bench with a front support beneath the forestock, with no rear support. The front rest I use is semi-soft, and I place my support hand between the forestock and the rest. Never set the forestock on a hard or rigid surface, as the rifle will react totally differently. I sight in for zero using this setup, trying to make my sight picture as near to the same as it is for practical shooting as possible. With an aperture or ghost ring, "cheek weld" on the rear stock can be important as far as consistency. Once I think I have the sights zeroed at the desired range I shoot from various practical shooting positions including sitting, standing with gun supported, and offhand. For shooting at distances beyond 100 yards or so, offhand isn't really of much use to me since I can't consitently get good hits beyond that distance offhand. However, one benefit of ghost ring sights is that they make offhand shots within reasonable distance quicker to line up and provide more likelihood of good hits on target. That's why the ghost ring shines out to the 70-100 yard range.
Old March 22, 2007, 04:10 AM   #217
Nematocyst

J'Mo, Jim and Z,

Good advice. Thanks.

Thought I'd make it to the range today,
but alas, spent the day dealing with studio equipment failures.

But this is good advice.

Nem,
The 336 Club (at 5,776 views, still the most viewed thread in Rifle Country)
Old March 22, 2007, 05:01 AM   #218
Nematocyst

Heads up, boys and girls.

There's an interesting discussion here
about the relationship between .357 (as rifle rnds) and .30-30.

Quote:
The 30/30 Kicks [.357's] ass on game!!
Old March 24, 2007, 06:33 PM   #219
glockman19

336W 30-30

Nematocyst,

What is the difference between the 336A and 336W. A 336W is on sale for $359. Is that a good deal? I don't have a lever gun and I'm torn between a Marlin and Henry.
The 336W comes with:

6 shot tublar magazine 20"
Micro Groove Barrel
Cut Checkered Finished Hardwood Wanut Stock
Hard rubber butt plate
swivles & padded nylon sling
and it's tapped for a scope mount
Old March 24, 2007, 06:47 PM   #220
Nematocyst

G'man,

The main difference is that the A has a fore end cap, where as the W has a fore end barrel band instead. That aspect probably doesn't matter much for this rifle (although there is some indication that it matters in target rifles).

Other than that, the A doesn't have the gold trigger (I actually like that it does not), and is missing the sling (I didn't like the stock sling on the W. Would have replaced it with a Claw, which I put on my A.)

Both have the same stock (birch) and stock sights (now replaced on mine). The A is also available with a factory mounted scope, but no one seems to know what it is. (See question about it from earlier in this thread.)

For more on the A v. W story, you might want to check the links in post 18 of this thread. Nothing specifically comparing A with W, but there's A v. C and C v. W.

And no, I don't think $359 is a good price on a W. That's what I paid for my A (with FFL and shipping). Around here, W's go for as low as $300 NIB at the chain stores, and that's regular, not on sale. I'd look around a bit more.

I can't offer any info on a Marlin v. Henry comparison in the center fire calibers. I hope maybe some body else here can, though: I'd be interested.

I can say with respect to their .22 LR rifles (39A, for example) that I find them substantially different. While the Henry is clearly a good rifle for its price point, and is a very good seller, and their owners like them, they're no where the quality of a 39A.

Again, I have no knowledge of Henry center fire rifles, however.

Good luck with your decision, and please keep us posted about it.

Let us know if you have more questions. Don't hesitate to ask.
I'm confident there are answers in this group.

Nem
Old March 24, 2007, 10:10 PM   #221
christophera

Boy I haven't posted on the high road in a while but am interested in the 336. Anyone know what the street price is on the stainless version?
Old March 24, 2007, 10:18 PM   #222
Nematocyst

Welcome back, Christopher. Nice of you to stop by the club.
I continue to be amazed at how many views this thread is getting.
A lot of people must really like this rifle.

I don't have a price check for you, but I'll bet others will.

Nem
Old March 25, 2007, 11:04 AM   #223
electrode1998

Lightbulb marlin ss models

Hey Christopher,
I just checked a local wholesaler here in Baton Rouge, LA. They list two models of 336 in stainless in the 30-30 cal. They are the 336ss and the 336xlr. They only list m.s.r.p. prices but they are: 336ss=$622.00 and 336xlr=$782.00. That may be high or not depending what part of the U.S. you are shopping in. Also most of the time the guns never sell for as high as the m.s.r.p. just like cars don't.
That listing may definetly be high since they also list the 336A for $423 "on sale" and they were the supplier to my gun store just 4 months ago when I bought my 336A and I got it for $350 plus tax. Also Academy Sports and Wally world usually sell the 336W for about the low $300s.
Hope the info. helps out.
Old March 25, 2007, 11:11 AM   #224
electrode1998

Talking modifications

Hey Nem,
Glad to see you post again. Missed your postings for a couple of days. I am just about reworking my 336A with my Christmas in march stuff. I was out of batteries in my camera before I started so I could not take "before" pics but I will take "after" pics and post them. Anyway you know what the gun looks like before since it is the exact same model as yours. I have to admit the gun looks totally differently. I have looked thru the skinner sights and the leupold scout scope and I cannot wait to shoot this thing!!!! I did not have the mounting problems you encountered with your xs front sights with my skinner sights since the skinners use the existing front base with the single screw.
Talk to you later,
E'trode
Old March 25, 2007, 04:10 PM   #225
Nematocyst

E'trode, I was buried under work for the last couple of weeks (finishing my academic term), but now have about two weeks of "spring break" to get caught up, work on my the new tools in my "toolkit" (336, 39A, 686 ...), and write some in the "clubs".

I'm planning on taking a few of those days away,
so if I disappear for a while, you can find me in the mountains.

Really looking forward to seeing images of the Christmas in March rifle.

By the way, in terms of the prices on those stainless Marlin's, yeah, I'll bet the street price is going to be considerably under those. I've never seen a price on the 336ss, but my local store did have a 336 XLR recently. Seems like the price was somewhere in the $600+ realm, but I can't remember. (They're very nice guns, even though I doubt I'll end up with one ...)

Nem