Quantcast
Challenge for all you AR guys out there... - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Rifle Country

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old October 4, 2014, 06:59 PM   #1
dallssheep

Challenge for all you AR guys out there...

The Challenge...if you choose to accept it is to help me build a decent AR for the cheapest. I have put together a stripped lower before but thats about as in depth as ive gotten.

Seeing the M&P Sport for sale at 529$ and trying to beat that.
Old October 4, 2014, 07:03 PM   #2
benzy2

Don't, just buy that and be done. Honestly, you won't get better parts for less cost. If you want something that isn't included with the sport, then look at building your own, but from a parts point of view you really can't get quality, basic parts NIB for less money.
Old October 4, 2014, 07:03 PM   #3
shotgunjoel

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...rifle-kit.html
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...category/4282/

$500

And that kit isn't the cheapest that PSA has, just what they have in stock right now.
Old October 4, 2014, 07:56 PM   #4
MachIVshooter

^^^

Although for just a little more, you can assemble one with nicer furniture.

Through PSA:

PTAC 1:7 stainless midlength midweight with MOE hand guard: $229
MOE lower build kit: $125
Blem lower: $59

Then from DS Arms, the bolt carrier group w/charging handle is $89 shipped.

PSA is free shipping this weekend, but they're out of MOE build kits and black PTAC MOE uppers. You could, however, go flat dark earth on the same PTAC upper with a flat dark earth CTR lower build kit for another $15.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.../category/388/

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...category/4220/

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...category/4282/

http://www.dsarms.com/p-14100-ar15zm...-assembly.aspx

That's $516 shipped for a stainless midlength rifle wearing Magpul CTR & MOE furniture. Can't be beat. The PTAC stuff is PSA's economy line, but based on the one example I have, there's not a darn thing wrong with them.
Old October 5, 2014, 10:26 AM   #5
J_McLeod

I've built one of them, and I needed some help from a friend to do it. If you can build one for cheaper, the extra time and equipment needed to build it won't be worth the savings.
Old October 5, 2014, 11:46 AM   #6
dallssheep

Let me ask you another question guys. How does that 516$ rifle compare to the m&p 15? Would it be worth it to build it myself or would it still be an inferior product compared to the M&P?
Old October 5, 2014, 12:05 PM   #7
maxxhavoc

A budget AR is a budget AR as long as it is from a reputable manufacturer.

Building them is relatively easy, and to me far more rewarding than buying an off-the-shelf model.

But some folks just want to buy it ready to shoot with a warranty (and probably change out furniture and maybe trigger later anyway.)

At this point with AR's it is close to a wash. Do you want "your" AR or do you want a S&W AR?
Old October 5, 2014, 12:12 PM   #8
Welding Rod

If you decide to sell later the Bargain basement SW will likely be easier to sell and bring more than a bargain basement home build.
Old October 5, 2014, 12:31 PM   #9
JERRY

unless you just like building stuff, you can buy a basic AR-15 for a very reasonable price.
Old October 5, 2014, 12:38 PM   #10
MachIVshooter

Quote:
Let me ask you another question guys. How does that 516$ rifle compare to the m&p 15? Would it be worth it to build it myself or would it still be an inferior product compared to the M&P?
Depends on what you like/want. The one you can build for about the same price as the M&P will have a forward assist & dust cover, and it will also sport your choice of buttstock, and the upgraded Magpul grip and hand guard. To me, it's a no-brainer. But I personally cannot stand M4 stocks, A2 grips and A2 handguards. They're ugly and uncomfortable.

However, if having the S&W warranty is a big deal to you, then that's a factor to consider. But do remember that the AR-15 is a very easily serviced weapon, every part replaceable at home with just some basic tools and an armorer's wrench.

Quality wise, I'd pit anything PSA is putting out under the PTAC or Freedom labels against the M&P Sport parts. The PSA premiums are a step up. All the PSA stuff is up to spec, with 7075-T6 receiver forgings, 4150 CMV or 416 stainless barrels w/M4 ramps, 8620 steel M16 bolt carriers with 158 carpenter steel bolts, etc.

This is the PTAC 1:7 stainless MOE upper, PSA MOE lower build kit & PSA bolt carrier group/charging handle combo I put together this last Friday on an Ares Armor 80% billet lower I finished out a couple weeks back. I'm into it for $546 after shipping:

Tell me that doesn't look a whole lot nicer than the M&P Sport. I can tell you that it definitely shoots nicer.

Quote:
If you decide to sell later the Bargain basement SW will likely be easier to sell and bring more than a bargain basement home build.
That's conjecture. ARs really are the sum of their parts, and their is no second hand warranty, so that becomes a moot point on the used market. I am positive I could resell a Magpulled-out PSA build for more than an M&P Sport or DPMS Oracle.
Old October 5, 2014, 01:52 PM   #11
Jackal

For just a little more, you can take a large step up in quality. Here's one I recently put together for $690. FN CHF pencil barrel, MI lightweight FF tube, ACT trigger, JP springs, Magpul stock/grip, PSA's best Logo BCG, etc. Weighs 6lbs empty.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0062.jpg (114.5 KB, 11 views)
Old October 5, 2014, 02:03 PM   #12
BigBL87

I agree a little more can buy you quite a bit more quality, but $529 up to $690 is quite a jump. You can get a darn good PSA for under $600.
Old October 5, 2014, 02:16 PM   #13
Jackal

Ya, you could pretty much close the gap by leaving FF tube and using a standard handguard, while losing little to no performance.