Quantcast
AR57 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Rifle Country

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old July 28, 2015, 10:00 PM   #1
Archangel14

AR57

Any thoughts? the cartridge appears to be able to suit a nice niche (varmint, small game, and possible, eh hmmm, unwelcome and unavoidable social work). And you can get a box of 50 for a very reasonable price. Yes?
Old July 29, 2015, 12:01 AM   #2
Welding Rod

Due to the expense of the cartridge, I can't think of a good reason for a 5.7 AR.

The FN carbine offers a very light weight and compact gun that is well suited for those of very small stature.

The light weight 5.7 pistol is easy to shoot accurately even at a fair distance, it is light even with a fully loaded mag of 20, and is simple to maintain.

The 5.7 in an AR? Doesn't seem like a practical match to me.... Might be fun though.
Old July 29, 2015, 02:14 AM   #3
Archangel14

Quote:
Due to the expense of the cartridge, I can't think of a good reason for a 5.7 AR.
The price isn't horrifying. I see one on-line dealer selling American Eagle 40 grain for about .51 cents a round. Still more expensive than 5.56, but a lot less expensive than some "AR" round that have been around for a few years now, like 6.5 and 6.8.

I imagine that a 40 grain cartridge doing 2300+ fps, flat shooting, would be formidable. Particularly on small game.
Old July 29, 2015, 05:07 AM   #4
USAF_Vet

I think a 5.7 AR would make for a great SBR or AR pistol. I really hope the .22 TCM takes off as a good alternative/ rival of the 5.7, because I'm leaning toward a RIA 9mm/.22tcm 1911 combo one of these days. A .22 TCM SBAR would be a fun poodle shooter.
Old July 29, 2015, 05:36 AM   #5
wideym

I have an AR57 in addition to a PS90 and a FiveSeven pistol. Ammo is actually pretty cheap right now when compared to ten years ago. Academy sells American Eagle 5.7 ammo for about $24 on average and many times it can be found on sale for as low as $19.99.

I like the AR57 due to the familiarity with the AR platform, but the short rail limits optics. I put Yankee Hill short flip up iron sights and a Sightmark holosight which works great, but you would be hard pressed to find scope that would fit and still be able to load and unload the magazine without removing the scope first.
Old July 29, 2015, 05:48 AM   #6
USAF_Vet

Question for those of you running a 5.7 upper. Do you just keep the mag well empty or do you have a plug (for lack of a better term) for it. Seems like an open mag well would invite the opportunity for foreign objects to reach the bolt.
Old July 29, 2015, 05:55 AM   #7
wideym

The mag well is where the spent brass ejects. I've used a cloth bag and a heavy rubber band to catch empties and I've read where some people remove the follower and spring from a .223 mag and use it as a improvised brass catcher.
Old July 29, 2015, 06:11 AM   #8
bikemutt
Contributing Member

I have both the rifle and pistol length AR57 uppers, they'e both very accurate and reliable so far. Both have Nikon rimfire EFR scopes with Nikon AR mounts. It's true you can only move the mount so far forward and not interfere with the magazine, the scope/mount combination I use works fine for me. Both are shot suppressed using a Huntertown Arms Kestrel core suppressor.

A gutted P-mag will serve as a brass catcher, just need to keep an eye on it as once it fills up it will cause a jam.

As for ammo, I stock up when I see it on sale, Federal can usually be had for $0.40/round.
There are no "good guns". There are no "bad guns". Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a decent person is no threat to anybody except bad people. - Charlton Heston 1997
Old July 29, 2015, 12:34 PM   #9
eldon519

Unless you already have a lot of 5.7 guns/ammo, I'm not sure why you would want to pay more for a round that does less in a proprietary upper. I understand shelling out the extra coin if you perceive a caliber has an advantage like 6.8 SPC, 300blk or 6.5 Grendel.
Old July 29, 2015, 04:32 PM   #10
wally

Quote:
I think a 5.7 AR would make for a great SBR or AR pistol
Not really, the length of the magazine and the fact it sits on top of the barrel in front of the magwell really limits how short you can go.
Old July 29, 2015, 04:45 PM   #11
ClickClickD'oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally
Not really, the length of the magazine and the fact it sits on top of the barrel in front of the magwell really limits how short you can go.
Oddly enough, my 10' 5.7 is exactly the same length as my 10' 5.56.

I stopped running the 5.7 for a while when the FN blue box disappeared from store shelves, but now that it's back at Academy for $24/box It's back in the rotation. Much quieter than it's 5.56 counterpart and absolutely no recoil.
Old July 29, 2015, 05:41 PM   #12
bikemutt
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally View Post
My shorty AR57 has a 6" barrel. The suppressor I use is about 6.75" and fits nicely inside the handguard with 0.75" of the suppressor muzzle exposed. That 6" barrel is darn near as accurate as the 16" barrel.
There are no "good guns". There are no "bad guns". Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a decent person is no threat to anybody except bad people. - Charlton Heston 1997