Quantcast
Cheap AR -- Buy a new low-end, or wait for someone to panic-sell? - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Rifle Country

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old August 24, 2014, 12:17 PM   #1
Nathanael_Greene

Cheap AR -- Buy a new low-end, or wait for someone to panic-sell?

I've been thinking about joining the legions of AR owners.

I don't need anything fancy, so I was thinking about buying an entry-level rifle.

But I've also noticed a few better models being put on the market at good prices here and there.

What's your opinion? Should I just buy something now, or maybe wait for someone who's looking to sell for Christmas money? I'm not in a real big hurry or anything.

Thanks for your input.
Old August 24, 2014, 12:34 PM   #2
highpower

When you can build a decent rifle for $500 I see no reason to wait. I doubt is you will find anything used for much less than that. In fact, most of the AR's that I see for sale on the secondary market are priced at what you can buy one new for.
Old August 24, 2014, 01:10 PM   #3
Onward Allusion

Buy now. Prices are low. There WILL be another panic at some point.

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
Old August 24, 2014, 01:28 PM   #4
M1key

Betcha can't own just one!

M
Old August 24, 2014, 03:35 PM   #5
CLP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onward Allusion View Post
Second that....probably just before Nov 2016
Old August 24, 2014, 03:53 PM   #6
scramasax

Depends on your location. I have seen a large variation in pricing in different locations. I have picked up a couple of factory guns at well below new store bought cost. Just before summer vacation, school starting and before Christmas are good times to look for a deal. The gun market has been vary hard to figure for the last several years. Fear of the political climate and a soft economy have been driving forces that are both volatile and unpredictable. The key is to check every day. Good deals don't last long. Last thing I picked up was a TCM 22/9, it was priced $200 less than any of the others I have seen since.
Old August 24, 2014, 03:58 PM   #7
MIL-DOT

I've recently seen the Smith & Wesson M&P sport for $599, DELIVERED !!!!
How much cheaper can you ask for a solid, name-brand AR?
Besides, as stated above, things are NOT going to stay as calm and reasonable as they are right now. If you want one and have the money, holding off in the hope that you'll save a few bucks down the road is beyond foolish, given what we've seen in the past few years.
Old August 24, 2014, 04:41 PM   #8
sappyg

+1 on buying now while you can. Ammo too.... Who knows what tomorrow may bring. It's not worth waiting. It's likely that prices have bottomed out.
Old August 24, 2014, 04:45 PM   #9
ABTOMAT

Wait for either Labor Day or Black Friday if you want the best prices. The M&P Sport can be had for closer to $500 on sale. It's a good gun for the price but doesn't have some stereotypical AR features.

If you really want to cheap out you can build one for about $450 with budget parts.
Old August 24, 2014, 05:00 PM   #10
Agsalaska

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onward Allusion View Post
exactly what I was going to post. If you want one get it now.
Old August 24, 2014, 06:03 PM   #11
paintballdude902

i think the market hit rock bottom about 2-3 months ago. dirt cheap lowers, dirt cheap uppers. but the market is still pretty good if you want to buy one

i built one for a present for my best bud who is getting out of the service. managed to get everything but a lower for less than 400. now all he needs is a stripped lower and we will throw the parts together and still be at less than 500

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.-Eleanor Roosevelt
Old August 24, 2014, 06:48 PM   #12
Armybrat

+1 on the S&W M&P Sport - Grabagun has them for $565 shipped.

Great buy for a good quality "entry level" AR..... with S&W customer service if needed (mine doesn't).
Old August 24, 2014, 06:51 PM   #13
dprice3844444

somebody had colt 6920's for 800
Old August 24, 2014, 06:55 PM   #14
Armybrat

I've seen those Colts for $879- $899 in the past month.

Would like to get one to complement my Sport.
Old August 24, 2014, 07:05 PM   #15
dbmjr1

I put together my M-Forgery for less than $600, with one P-Mag. PSA chrome lined barrel in an assembled upper, and the lower parts in one kit. Put it together in less than an hour one Saturday morning, with no special tools. Just watched a youtube video.

This was a few months ago.

Since then I've accumulated more magazines and ammo.

I'm not a huge fan of the AR platform, but I'm sure glad I've got mine.

Do it. Build one. Buy one. Then you can get about the business of collecting magazines and ammo.
Old August 24, 2014, 07:28 PM   #16
BSA1

Buy now.

Gambling on the future is a sucker's bet. What do you think is going to happen to the gun market if terrorists make good on the threat to attack Chicago or another major city? Do you really have any confidence in Obama's ability to make the correct decisions to keep this country save?
Old August 24, 2014, 07:35 PM   #17
gotigers

Buy now. AR prices have settled over the last 6 months. As said, there will be another panic. Probably sooner than later.
Old August 24, 2014, 07:38 PM   #18
Texas1948

Look at Bravo company. They have upper and bolt carrier groups and flash hiders for 436. You can buy a complete Spikes Tactical assembled lower for less than 300. Add a bcm charging handle for 40.00 and magpul rear sight hand guards for 40 and for 850 you have a great AR
Old August 24, 2014, 08:18 PM   #19
pwhfirefighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1key View Post
Betcha can't own just one!

M
My thoughts exactly.
Old August 24, 2014, 09:18 PM   #20
Ar180shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dprice3844444 View Post
somebody had colt 6920's for 800
Hell, we're getting Colt 6920's for under $1000 here in Canada, which is unheard of. 3 years ago (before Sandy Hook), they were going for $2k+ as they were basically unobtanium here.
Old August 24, 2014, 09:57 PM   #21
Walkalong

It is a great time to buy, with several good low priced options. A lot of great deals with above average and best quality ARs as well.

Buy now, and then keep an eye out for a deal if someone tries to dump a top end AR, but don't hold your breath waiting for folks who payed panic prices wanting to sell them off cheap.

"Oh bother" said Pooh, as he chambered another round. Author unknown.
Old August 24, 2014, 10:14 PM   #22
silicosys4

You can put together a decent AR for under $500, and you can put together a really nice one for under $750. Now is the time to buy.
Old August 24, 2014, 10:36 PM   #23
welldoya

Armybrat

"+1 on the S&W M&P Sport - Grabagun has them for $565 shipped.
Great buy for a good quality "entry level" AR..... with S&W customer service if needed (mine doesn't)."

My thoughts exactly. $565 from Grabagun. You aren't going to beat that. Get it or you will be kicking yourself at some point in the near future.
Old August 24, 2014, 10:41 PM   #24
newfalguy101

This is probably the BEST time in history to get into the AR world as its a very strong BUYERS market right now, however, I do NOT see prices coming down anymore than they already have, or not enough to really matter.
Old August 25, 2014, 08:52 AM   #25
rodinal220

They were $800 a few days ago but went up 50 bucks:

http://bachmanguns.com/

CDNN has deals on Colt MSRs:

http://www.cdnnsports.com/