Quantcast
Stag model 8 a good AR? - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Rifle Country

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old May 17, 2015, 10:42 PM   #1
elktrout

Stag model 8 a good AR?

I understand the Stag Model 8 is a gas piston AR15 designed to appeal to the under $1000 market. But, is it a good basic AR or does it need a lot of upgrading, such as roller cam pin, different buffer spring, and/or different bolt carrier? How fragile is the gas piston arrangement? Thanks.
Old May 17, 2015, 11:12 PM   #2
DougW

The Stag 8 will serve you well. Stag makes fine rifles and components. I have built on Stag lowers for years, and my "match" rifle that I used for years shooting 3 gun is built with Stag components. Good stuff!
Old May 17, 2015, 11:14 PM   #3
dvdcrr
Contributing Member

They designed the carrier with enlarged pads to ride on and an integral " key" which can not come loose. So the carrier should not need replaced.
Old May 18, 2015, 09:44 PM   #4
Zerodefect

Stag is good stuff.

But, I'd get a regular model, not the piston version.
Old May 19, 2015, 04:25 AM   #5
Ibmikey

Love my Stag AR's, have no experience with their piston rifles, however one day will find a need for a piston run carbine for comparison purposes.
Old May 19, 2015, 09:19 AM   #6
dvdcrr
Contributing Member

I don't think the roller cam pin would be a bad idea. Other than that lube the rear of the carrier well I think you should be good to go.
Old May 19, 2015, 07:02 PM   #7
CarJunkieLS1

I have a Stag Model 3L. I've put 2000 rounds through mine over 3 years and I've not had one single FTF or FTE since I've had it. I bought it brand new and I've just done the regular cleaning and maintenance. If it matters I've have ONLY used brass cased factory loads and my reloads.
Old May 20, 2015, 08:32 AM   #8
Tirod

Any proprietary parts that handle the piston system have no upgrades. It's Stags special system. And replacement parts are the same, Stag only.

Which means it's tough to build a Stag piston gun - no parts from anyone else. That's fine for a lot of shooters, the AR is the exception to the rule that most guns are a Make Model specific thing. The Rem 700 and Ruger 10/22 have a lot of aftermarket support, once past those pickings are slim to none compared to the AR market.

The majority of piston guns on the market in the last five years still in production is very low. Those owners are now facing no repair parts in the long term. If there was a standard pattern they all used, it might help. There isn't.

And that's not even discussing whether piston brings any improvements for the complexity and price. I'll just say that some makers build things because they sell, which is all they are concerned about. Sales. How you determine the gas is trapped and propels the action is up to you. Most of us go with the 45 year old proven pattern.