Quantcast
.223 gel test: 65 gr Sierra Game King - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Rifle Country

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old December 15, 2014, 12:44 PM   #1
chopinbloc

.223 gel test: 65 gr Sierra Game King

Link for phones

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoRQzea-t0g

65 gr Sierra Game King loaded over 24.0 gr of Ramshot TAC fired from 11.5" and 16" barreled AR-15 pattern rifles into calibrated 10% gelatin. A Surefire FA556AR silencer was attached to both rifles.

BB: 603.6 fps, 3.1"

16" barrel resuts

Impact velocity: 2,736 fps
Penetration: 10.3"
Retained weight: 33.3 gr
Max expansion: 0.591"
Min expansion: 0.364"

11.5" barrel results

Impact velocity: 2,567 fps
Penetration: 11.1"
Retained weight: 47.9 gr
Max expansion: 0.592"
Min expansion: 0.412"

This result surprised me quite a bit because it shows a full two inches less penetration for the SBR than an earlier test. I only redid the test because I was unhappy with the video and photos from the earlier test but I'm glad I did. I'm at a loss as to what caused the difference. The only thing I can think of is that Sierra changed the bullet.

Here's the link to the earlier test:
http://youtu.be/0PtAG_6NQOQ
"Murder is a crime -unless it is done by a policeman or an aristocrat... You have the right to free speech; as long as you're not dumb enough to actually try it." - The Clash "Know Your Rights" from Combat Rock

Last edited by chopinbloc; December 15, 2014 at 01:55 PM.
Old December 15, 2014, 01:01 PM   #2
ironworkerwill

Nice, I use that bullet over BLC2. I'm surprised how well it performed.

Studies have shown that a ladder in the house is more dangerous than a gun.. That's why I own guns, in case some maniac tries to sneak a ladder in.-Uncle Stan
Old December 15, 2014, 10:42 PM   #3
dvdcrr

Ive seen pretty substantial damage on game from a 60 gr. Partition at 235 yds. Max load out of a 22" barrel. Probly starting out a couple hundred fps faster than this test. I've been impressed lately with Win. Razorback XT.
Old December 16, 2014, 02:42 AM   #4
chopinbloc

I'll look for it.
"Murder is a crime -unless it is done by a policeman or an aristocrat... You have the right to free speech; as long as you're not dumb enough to actually try it." - The Clash "Know Your Rights" from Combat Rock