Quantcast
The Marlin 39 Club - Page 120 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Rifle Country

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old August 22, 2010, 05:28 PM   #2976
flusher

I think there is a Golden 39 Mountie, with round lever and Goldem 39 M with square lever.
Old August 23, 2010, 02:03 AM   #2977
actocs

Mine is a 1957 Mountie, and it's just called Model 39A. They didn't start calling them 39M yet. It's the last year that they made them with a black trigger and no sling swivels. Scott.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1000933.jpg (252.4 KB, 70 views)
Old August 23, 2010, 09:48 PM   #2978
crowley1

Hey guys. I came by a marlin 39. It is a .22 caliber. The serial number has 5 digits and came back as being manufactured in 1891 when I ran it through the Marlin dating website I found the link to here. Can anyone tell me if that seems right??? I would have thought one from 1891 would have much shorter serial number. I'll post pics when I can.
Old August 24, 2010, 07:22 AM   #2979
GMAN26

Welcome to the club Mr Crowley! Someone here with more knowledge about 39's will chime in shortly. Looking forward to your pics!
Old August 24, 2010, 07:48 AM   #2980
vaupet

1891 is the very first year Marlin produced rimfires and they were called 1891, it's the type wich was used by Annie Oakley.
It was followed by the 1892 (guess when) and then with the 1897, wich was the first take-down model.
Apparently, they used the name 1939 as of 1922 and as of 1939 the rifle was called 39a. (info from www.leverguns.com )
Old August 24, 2010, 10:11 AM   #2981
crowley1

Here it is. Like I said, 6 digit serial# that bounced back as 1891. All original except for the tapped holes in the barrel. I'm assuming someone thought they would mount a scope that way. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1446.jpg (248.2 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1449.jpg (232.6 KB, 60 views)

Last edited by crowley1; August 24, 2010 at 10:18 AM.
Old August 24, 2010, 11:37 AM   #2982
vaupet

I'm not pretending to be an expert, but this is a weird rifle.
- it can't be made before 1897, because there weren't any takedown versions before that.
- all the pictures i have seen of old 1897 rifles are round barrel and straight stock.
- it does look like it has been restocked and the original square lever was bent to fit the pistol grip.
- congrats on a nice rifle.
- the old marlins all had serials starting with letters. Are you shure yours isn't an 1991 version. There are some centennial marlins 1897 going around.
-
Old August 24, 2010, 02:16 PM   #2983
johnmcl

Hey Crowley, nice rifle.

Ok, it is not an 1891 as that was a side loader. Your rifle is definitely a tube loader. I don't think it is an 1892 either as your rifle is a take-down. '92s were not. That leaves us with an 1897 or a 39 designator. I don't think it is an 1897 as your loop is straight. All 1897 loops have a slight curve in the loop.

So I think you have a Model 39. Now let's figure out what kind. You don't have a hard rubber buttplate and I do not see a bullseye on the stock, which makes me think your rifle was made around 1922. So 39A is out, leaving only Model 39. My guess is a 1922 Model 39.

Can you provide any more information? Most helpful would be anything written on the receiver tang or left hand side of the barrel.

Happy shooting,

Respect and Honor
Old August 24, 2010, 02:20 PM   #2984
johnmcl

Actocs,

Beautiful wood on your Mountie, you must have done some work there. How do you like your tang sight?

Respect and Honor
Old August 24, 2010, 02:22 PM   #2985
GMAN26

Great looking rifle Crowley! Nice find. Now were getting somewhere. Have you put some lead thru it yet! How's it shoot?
Old August 24, 2010, 07:32 PM   #2986
dfariswheel

You have a Model 39. This version was made from 1922 to 1938. There were between 40,000 to 50,000 made.
Earlier rifles with no prefix or an "S" prefix were noted for their fine workmanship and finish.

Your's has had the barrel drilled and tapped for a special scope mount as used in the pre-war days. I "think" the factory would do this on special order, or local gunsmiths would.

NOTE: Unless your rifle has an "HS" prefix, it should be shot with ONLY standard velocity ammo, NOT high speed.
If these non-"HS" rifles are fired with modern high speed ammo, the bolt will break.
Old August 25, 2010, 12:18 AM   #2987
actocs

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmcl View Post
Actocs,

Beautiful wood on your Mountie, you must have done some work there. How do you like your tang sight?
johnmcl, Thanks for the comment on the wood. No I didn't do any work to the wood, that's the original wood with the original oil finish. As far as the tang sight, I just got it and I got a bad one. It wasn't worth a hoot. I couldn't keep 5 shots inside an inch or inch and a half at 25 yds. Marbles will be sending me a new one when I send this one back to them. I took it off and put my Williams rec. sight back on, and without even resighting in, I was shooting one hole 5 shot groups dead center at 25 yds. Scott.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1000911.jpg (251.6 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg P1000913.jpg (254.2 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg P1000912.jpg (250.3 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg P1000914.jpg (253.7 KB, 33 views)
Old August 25, 2010, 08:23 AM   #2988
Carl N. Brown

Tapped holes on the left side of the round barrel are for a Weaver Type N side mount, If I Recall Correctly.
Old August 27, 2010, 12:42 PM   #2989
SandyEggo53

Finally got the Mountie out to shoot

I rescued a used 1960s Mountie two years ago, cleaned it up, fixed the extractor, and took it plinking. I wasn't all that good at hitting moving cans past 25 yards, but the rifle seemed OK--but not great. I got a Bushnell Banner 1.5-4.5 power scope and a Bench Master Rifle Rest at Optics Planet, took the rifle out this week, and what a blast! At about 2 power at 25 yards I shot about a 1 inch group until every bullet went into the same holes, the scope was clear, and the rest worked great. At 50 yards, it was pretty close to the same, this little Mountie was a lot better than I thought. Without the scope and rest, I pretty much had a shotgun type pattern shooting off-hand at a Shoot 'n See target. 30 or so shots pretty much covered the 6" target at 25 yards. My guess is that with the short barrel, my bad eyes, a little wind to help wiggle the rifle around, I was a consistently bad shot. (My other 22s are lighter weight, mostly longer barreled, some scoped, some not--but I shoot them off-hand a little better.) Now with this setup, I think my Mountie has got to be my favorite 22 rifle.
Old August 28, 2010, 10:08 AM   #2990
killerb83

I have posted a few time about receiving my grandfathers Marlin 39 .22 (S, L, & LR) Octagonal barrel. My father has owned the gun but its only been in storage. He fired it as a kid growing up, but that's it. I finally have the gun back from the gunsmith. I had him preform a gun safety check and tighten up any loose ends and also cleaned up the little lit of rust on the gun and re crowned the barrel where the most rust was.

The only markings I can find are the company name/location, the bullet type, "Marlin Mod. 39", and HS68 on the bottom of the tan under the lever. I also found 68 in the inside of the gun receiver are. I would really like to know the vintage and the potential worth of this family heirloom. Besides a few light scratches on the stock and some of the D&T holes the condition is amazing.

Here are some pics

The scope by the way I believe is a Weaver type. This has already been removed since the optics are very cloudy. I also like the look without the scope. I'll try and clean it up the best I can. Also I don't believe the rubber on the butt of the stock is not original. If not any help on obtaining a correct one to the vintage of my rifle would be great. Oh and i need a new rear sight. the original one on the gun was filed down on the left side. I think this was done to allow the scope to be mounted. Any help with were I can get a new one of those too would be helpful.

I don't plan on selling this gun. Just interested in it worth. I plan on passing this down to my kids hopefully one day.

Thanks again.

Any help is appreciated
Old August 28, 2010, 01:16 PM   #2991
Steven7

New Marlin 39A owner

I was very happy to get my 39A only to have FTE problems. After reading all the threads about the newer style stamped ejector I ordered the machined one from Wisner's part # A39A-27. I fixed copiers for 16 years so I have some mechanical skills. I had to file the new one some before tapping it in but what a difference. It doesn't even think about FTE anymore. I wish Marlin would add a little to the price if they need to and go back to the better ejector.

Thanks for all the info here. Happy shooting
Old August 28, 2010, 07:58 PM   #2992
dfariswheel

killerb83:

Here's what I have.
The Model 39 was made from 1922 to 1938 with between 40,00 and 50,000 made.
Yours would have been made later in that period since your rifle has the "HS" prefix indicating it was made for use with modern High Speed ammo.

With a serial number of HS 68 it would be one of the very first "HS" series rifles made, and a collector might be interested in it.

Your rifle has a higher grade of wood, which increases the value. These rifles were made with "X", "2X", or "3X" grade wood.
I'm not sure which grade yours is, but it's nice wood and ups the value and rarity.

The value on yours would be lowered due to the non-original rubber butt pad and the holes drilled in the barrel for scope mounts, both on the top and on the sides.
It's possible your rifle has been refinished, since these rifles originally had color case hardened receivers and levers and yours looks like bluing.

Parts like butt pads and original pre-war milled sights will be difficult to find, and a butt pad would need to be fitted.
Since butt plates were made of hard rubber and individually fitted to the stock, you'd have to find one that is still large enough to fit.
Note that later sights were stamped, but the milled type sight was used into the 1950's on the Model 39-A series

Assigning a value is difficult. On the one hand you have a very early "HS" series rifle with extra fancy wood, but value drops due to the drilling and tapping, and possible refinish. Also, as always, value depends on the actual condition of the rifle.
As a wild guess, I'd say it would start at around $1350.00 if it's in 90% original condition.

For parts for the pre-war rifles, check the following places.
You'll almost certainly have to phone or email them to ask about availability of parts, and be VERY specific about what you have and need, or you'll get post-war parts.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/...spx?catid=3887

If you can't find an original hard black rubber butt plate, the following sell high quality replicas made of plastic:

http://www.vintagegungrips.net/mabu1.html

http://www.gungrip.com/items_154__page0.html
Looks like model number B541E was the correct version for your "HS" prefix, although they mis-printed it as "H5".
Old August 30, 2010, 09:31 PM   #2993
GMAN26

I'm getting close...

Almost got my (56) 39 completely sited in today. I don't know how much closer I can get. Maybe a tweak here and there. I haven't been to the range in awhile so this is pretty good for me. This is from 50 yards.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20100830_191936.jpg (241.0 KB, 35 views)

Last edited by GMAN26; August 30, 2010 at 09:40 PM.
Old August 30, 2010, 11:46 PM   #2994
Nematocyst

Sorry to be so absent from club ranks.
I'm on the road a lot now, and am dislodged
from the place that I spent the last decade.

Trying to read as I can, and live the 39 vicariously
fas mine is stored until I find a place to settle for a while.

Welcome to new members.

The Marlin 39 club: where we seek an optimal, reliable field rifle.

Blades, Levers, Sticks & Wheels
Old August 31, 2010, 05:36 AM   #2995
teetertotter

Gman, maybe for 55' model that is the best group you will get. My 4 year old model will get qtr size group at 77 meters and now have down to dime size at 60 meters using CCI Blazer. Keep trying different ammo and sure you can do better off sandbags. Mine does not like std velocity and HV works the best w scope. I'm waiting for calm day for 100 meters. We have a tree line break at roughly 60m to 77m and the best I can do is 1-1/2 inch diameter. Keep trying different ammo. Have fun!
Old August 31, 2010, 07:28 AM   #2996
GMAN26

Well Teeter...lol...I was using a sandbag. I think I have a combination of issues that are not helping me. 1) Old eyes looking thru a even older JC Higgins scope. It is hard to focus in on the center. 2) Using the 40 grain winchester range ammo. I should step up to some Mini Mags but then again why? The wildcats are what I shoot often because I'm cheap. I'm just a plinker. 3) My 39 could use a cleaning. Last time it was cleaned was about 600 rounds or so ago. And yes...it is a fun rifle for sure! Have a good one!
Old August 31, 2010, 07:29 PM   #2997
killerb83

Marlin 39 HSXX serial bullet selection

What velocity .22's should I be using with a Marlin that has a HS68 serial number. I know I shouldn't be putting high velocity rounds through it.

CCI makes a "Standard Velocity" rounds at around 1050fps. Is this the right ball park?

What is the highest fps I can safely use without risking damaging the bolt?

Thanks
Kyle
Old August 31, 2010, 10:53 PM   #2998
CoastieShep

Dad bought me a golden 39a about 23 years ago. Still have it and it also still shoots flawlesley today. By far my favorite gun. I couldnt possibly count how many squirrels and rabbits have fallen out to around 100 yds with a shot from that beautiful little rifle.
Old September 1, 2010, 08:10 AM   #2999
teetertotter

GMAM, I mean't Nickle size at 60 meters. I understand, the rifle and the scope and the person are very OLD. Not a very good combination.
Too funny. I'm 67 myself, plus special shooting specticles with distance clearity. The bi-focal part helps me find the feeding tube slot opening. CCI Blazers are approx 1235 fps muzzle and price here is $2.19 for box of 50 or $20.00 a brick. Yours might like it. Fellow in our rifle club said standard velocity was not made to be used in a 39a. I tried several stds just to make sure a couple years back and he was right. Our range uses Centurion .22ammo and my rifle just hates it. Might want to look into some specticles??
Old September 1, 2010, 03:43 PM   #3000
vaupet

just to mention: this is nr 3000
greetings to all clubmembers