Quantcast
The Marlin 39 Club - Page 123 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Rifle Country

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old October 25, 2010, 05:32 PM   #3051
dewalt-2

Kevin, that's not good. I'm not sure what's involved with that modification, but I am sure the smith did a hack job on yours.
I have 2 39As, one old and one new one. I have no issues with the new system, I actually like the ability to dry fire with the safety on.
I hope you can get it fixed.
Old October 26, 2010, 01:00 PM   #3052
kps1991

Follow up

Thanks for the response dewalt-2. Pardon my ignorance but am I correct to assume that with rifles that have the ability to be half-cocked you are not supposed to be able to pull the trigger when the hammer is in the half-cocked position and have the hammer strike the firing pin? The trigger should be locked when it's in the half-cocked position? My trigger can be pulled when it's in the half-cocked position after I had the rebounding action of the hammer eliminated by a gunsmith.
Old October 26, 2010, 05:38 PM   #3053
CaliCoastie

KPS: i would definatly get that fixed, you should not be able to shot the gun at half cock, its there as a safety. i would hold off on shooting that untill you take it to the smith and have him fix it.
PS i dont have a rebounding hammer but you can minize the rebounding hammer and still retain the half cock. check marlinowners and the rimfire section.
Old October 27, 2010, 09:21 AM   #3054
teetertotter

For me, this would be a real SAFETY concern! Suggest getting it fixed, IMO.
Old October 28, 2010, 10:52 PM   #3055
Nematocyst

There's a sad story over here about a Marlin 39.

This kind of thing tarnishes the reputation of our rifle.

Marlin, you should make this right.

Are you reading?

Blades, Levers, Sticks & Wheels
Old November 2, 2010, 03:19 PM   #3056
Stickmann

Hello,
I just discovered that my father in law has left me a Model 39-A with a serial number E25xxx. I believe that is a 1948 manufacture date. The rifle is perfect because he kept it in a rifle sleeve and never banged it around. I have several other .22 rifles but this one is so much stouter than the rest. It feels like a real piece. I am thrilled to have it.
Old November 2, 2010, 06:33 PM   #3057
Badlander

You are A lucky man!
Old November 2, 2010, 06:57 PM   #3058
Nematocyst

Stickmann, welcome. Glad you joined us. And welcome to THR.

I agree, you hit a gold mine there.

Pics, please, if you get a chance.
And let us know how it shoot.

Old November 4, 2010, 12:03 AM   #3059
liseverewx

Hey guys,

I finally tracked down a nice Marlin 39 Mountie! It's from 1977 and in awesome condition. I've wanted one for a while and am so glad to finally have it. I'd be thrilled to join the club!
Old November 4, 2010, 07:31 AM   #3060
johnmcl

This is superb that these 39As are coming into our extended THR family. As Nem pointed out the adoption papers aren't complete without photos!

I'd also like to point out that there's a fun rimfire competition starting in the Rifle Forum. I'd love to see a squad of M39 scores posted.

Respect and Honor
Old November 4, 2010, 06:36 PM   #3061
liseverewx

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmcl View Post
This is superb that these 39As are coming into our extended THR family. As Nem pointed out the adoption papers aren't complete without photos!

I'd also like to point out that there's a fun rimfire competition starting in the Rifle Forum. I'd love to see a squad of M39 scores posted.
I'm pretty psyched too about all of the 39A love here on THR. I will get a picture of my Marlin 39 sometime this week.
Old November 4, 2010, 06:57 PM   #3062
Nematocyst

Welcome, liseverewx.

Mounties are great. Love the shorter carbine feel.

My 39A is going to get cut down to that length asap.

Of course, I've been saying that for 2 years. Long story ...

Last edited by Nematocyst; November 4, 2010 at 07:22 PM.
Old November 4, 2010, 07:01 PM   #3063
sfsmedic

My 39A Mountie was the rifle my dad taught me to shoot with. I love that rifle, it goes with the ruger single six he taught me to shoot with. Same firearms I'll be teaching my son to shoot with once he's old enough.
Old November 4, 2010, 08:39 PM   #3064
JustsayMo

sfsmedic: Dude, that is way cool on so many levels. I am VERY glad to hear such a tradition still exists. Bravo! Standing "O"! and a well done.
Old November 4, 2010, 08:55 PM   #3065
Nematocyst

Ditto that.

Old November 4, 2010, 08:56 PM   #3066
JustsayMo

When it rains, it pours.. or something like that.

I've been standing pat with the two Marlin 39's I have, figuring "one is none, two is one." One is a mid-sixties Mountie the other is the Century Limited variation.

Then last week another Century Limited came up for sale and I figured what the heck, and made an offer. He accepted!

So I tell a pard of mine that owns a couple of 39's his-self including a Century Limited says to me, "I didn't realize you was in the market for another... and if'n you want I'd trade you my CL for your Mountie..."

He's been wanting a Mountie for a "truck gun" on his ranch and his CL it a bit too nice to be a truck gun. He even had the original box. Well, a deal like that I wern't about to pass on...

So in the not to distant future I hope to be posting pictures of my "set" of Marlin 39 Century Limiteds for your dancing and dining pleasure. Now if these other two shoot as well as my first one, I'd hate to be a Grouse in October at my place...

P.S. If one is none and two is one. Is three two?
Old November 4, 2010, 09:06 PM   #3067
Nematocyst

Oh, man. My head is swimming in arithmetic.

Or maybe this is algebra.

Let's see.

Premises:
1 = 0
2 = 1

Hypothesis: 3 = 2

Surely, this must be topology
which deals with Mobius strips.

Man, I miss the smell of wild sage in the upper Great Basin.

Old November 5, 2010, 04:49 PM   #3068
photoman12001

Photos of my 1979 Marlin 39a

One of my favorite guns and probably the last to go if I had to get rid of them. It's elegant, reliable and fun to shoot.

I installed a Skinner receiver peep sight. It works great and looks very good with the gold trigger.
Old November 5, 2010, 06:42 PM   #3069
JustsayMo

Walnut and Blue. Fine examples of both there photoman. Thanks for sharing.
Old November 5, 2010, 07:24 PM   #3070
Nematocyst

Photoman, great pics. Thanks.

And you're right: that Skinner looks great with the gold trigger.

I've decided to put a Skinner on mine soon as I'm able - got to get it out here from the west coast first, and I need to be in more secure living situation before I do (long story; now in temporary situation with friends, house not secure).

I'd thought I'd put a dark one on it, because I thought the gold would stick out.

But with the gold trigger, it really works.

Old November 5, 2010, 07:49 PM   #3071
Nematocyst

Interesting. I just revisited the Skinner site.

It's changed hands. A person named Andy Larsson bought it from Dr. Skinner.

This may be old news, but if I knew it before, I'd forgotten it.

Anyway, I like the feel of the new site. The new owner seems earnestly dedicated to producing a quality product with quality service.

I'll buy a couple from him: one for the 39, one for the 336.

Last edited by Nematocyst; November 5, 2010 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Added link
Old November 5, 2010, 07:56 PM   #3072
photoman12001

If not for the gold trigger I would go for the dark one too. The sight is very good quality and Dr Skinner is great to do business with. That sight increased increased my enjoyment of the rifle, both ascetically and functionally, well beyond the scope of its cost. I wish I could get sights from him for my Savage 24J.

Edit: I have seen the new website but didn't realize ownership had changed hands. I hope the new owner is as good as the last.
Old November 6, 2010, 07:59 AM   #3073
toysoldier

39 mini-musket

Although some said it couldn't be done, I fitted a second barrel/receiver unit (purchased online) to the receiver of my Marlin 39. I then cut the barrel to 16 1/2", fitted a full-length forearm, and added a Skinner sight. The result is an accurate, nicely-balance carbine that's a little different.

no photo; need help getting it

Last edited by toysoldier; November 6, 2010 at 08:01 AM. Reason: photo won't work
Old November 6, 2010, 09:48 AM   #3074
az_imuth

toysoldier, here ya go...

Old November 6, 2010, 12:38 PM   #3075
Nematocyst

ToySoldier, that is wicked cool looking.

Mine will look similar, I suspect, even though my fore end is different (newer),
but I'm just going to get the stock barrel cut.