Quantcast
The Marlin 39 Club - Page 125 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Rifle Country

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old November 10, 2010, 01:01 PM   #3101
actocs

teetertotter,They're usually $17.49 at Fleet Farm. Kurly, I remember seeing a thread here somewhere, where a man described exactly what to do. I wouldn't suggest trying it though unless you're a very skilled craftsman and have the right equipment. I'm a former tool and die maker, and hobby gunsmith and have some special stones for that kind of work. It's very simple and easy for me, but I wouldn't trust anyone else to do it. Hey teetertotter, what's a meter?
Old November 10, 2010, 01:02 PM   #3102
SwampWolf

Quote:
The trigger is the ONE thing that I'm not terribly crazy about. I'd estimate the pull to be about 7-8lbs but thankfully it's crisp.
Yep, same here-only the trigger on mine isn't especially "crisp".
NRA Benefactor Life Member
Old November 11, 2010, 10:44 AM   #3103
teetertotter

actoc's, Current Blazer price in home of F&F is $19.95 a brick. You are fortunate to have a lower price. Early this year it went from 14.95 to current 19.95. I still cannot complain. Define my distance accuracy on small objects using Blazer............. is from 42 yards out to 107yds. I wish at 107yds the group of 3 were less than 1.25 inches on the calmest day, but this is not a target rifle either. Next year, plan to buy one to replace my Golden in competition. With the 6.5-20X40 Vortex, target DOT, it does make for a mighty fine off hand plinking rifle!
Old November 11, 2010, 12:44 PM   #3104
actocs

teetertotter, Yeah I just called, and they're still $17.49 here. I don't get to town much, so when I do, I really stock up. Last time, about 4 months ago, I used a grocery cart and hauled out 20 bricks of them. I still have 6 bricks left, and with winter comming on, that might get me through. Maybe they'll have a late winter sale or something. I'll have to watch for that because at $14.95 each, that would be a significant savings when I'm buying that much. About 50 bucks. Scott
Old November 11, 2010, 01:52 PM   #3105
actocs

Notes from actocs: Why I like CCI Blazer .22 ammo

It reminds me of the good ol' days. When you went to the hardware store and bought a cardboard box of 50 .22 shells. They were plain and simple, no nonsense, lubricated lead round nose. No pretty copper washed bullets. No hollow points. It was either Federal, Winchester, or Remington. And there was always short, long, or long rifle available. And they were all good. CCI Blazer .22s are lubricated lead round nose like that. They are 100% reliable in my experience, and pretty darn accurate in all of my rifles. More than I can say about any of the other bulk ammo that I've compared them to. I only wish they were available in shorts. Maybe someday. Scott.
Old November 12, 2010, 10:30 AM   #3106
teetertotter

Yes, I have tried them all and Blazer has been the most accurate in my 39a. Very clean too. I have heard fellows using in their CZ's as nice for practice and cheap. I still have 8 bricks left of the same lot# and within 15 minute drive of Farm and Fleet. Soon, I will be buying more. I had an usual occurance with 3 FTF in a row 3 weeks ago. I might have 2 FTF in a brick.
I reused the 3 and was okay. CCI Blazer is extremely accurate in my grandaughters new Savage Mark I, youth rifle, with 19 inch barrel at 42 yards.
I had it semi sighted with her using a Nikon Monark 4.5-14 scope 3 weeks ago. We have now moved indoors. Next Spring will see what her group size will be at the different distances with CCI Blazer and Savage youth size rifle.
I think if people tried the .22 CCI Blazer in any rifle, they just might be surprised!
Old November 12, 2010, 12:40 PM   #3107
actocs

I think you're right about that teetertotter. Many would be surprised. I think maybe because some other Blazer center-fire ammo has a bad reputation, their .22 ammo gets passed by and never tried. On your FTFs, check your hammer pivot screw. They have a habit of coming loose on 39s. If it's loose, don't over torque it!!! Those small threads are very delicate. Instead, back it out a ways, so you can see most of the threaded hole from the outside of the frame. From the outside put a drop of Loctite Blue in there and snug the screw back down. This way you can avoid getting any Loctite on the pivot screw bearing surface. That would lock up your hammer. Or maybe your hammer spring is just a bit on the light side. I don't know. I've never had any FTF. Scott.
Old November 13, 2010, 08:00 PM   #3108
Kurly

SwampWolf -- If you're interested in changing your trigger's creep my modifying the hammer, there's a great pictorial over at marlinowners.com. You have to register to see it but it's got excellent instructions on how to lighten your trigger and eliminate creep. I by no means consider myself handy when it comes to modify guns and was able to lighten my trigger pull considerably and get rid of the small amount of creep that was left. It made the gun much more enjoyable to shoot and also helped to improved my groupings a bit.
Old November 14, 2010, 02:00 AM   #3109
actocs

Thumbs up

Kurly, So ya did it then. Good! I'm glad to here you were successful at it. Even I feel better now that you did it. Scott.
Old November 14, 2010, 05:24 AM   #3110
SwampWolf

Thanks for the heads up, Kurly. And welcome to The High Road!
Old November 16, 2010, 04:20 PM   #3111
JustsayMo

Somehow I happened into two more of these last week. Funny how that works sometimes - never seem them, then a bunch land in your lap.

One even came with the box and owners manual.

Of the variations I've owned (39A, 39 TDS, Mountie) I like these the best. Something about an octagonal barrel on a levergun just looks right. They're a little lighter too.

Old November 16, 2010, 05:30 PM   #3112
Nematocyst

^ Them are purty!

Blades, Levers, Sticks & Wheels
Old November 16, 2010, 05:47 PM   #3113
SfcArmy

I have a mdl 39, sn: 11888. It has a octagon barrel. I bought it second hand while stationed in Alaska in 1963. I had to re do the stock and cold blued the gun. The bolt broke in half about twenty years ago and it took me many years to find another one. I had to have a gun smith fine tune the bolt so that it would work. I was told by Marlin that the ammo we use today is a lot hotter that the old ammo and thats why the bolt broke.
Old November 16, 2010, 08:30 PM   #3114
dfariswheel

The change over to a stronger bolt occurred during the production of the Model 39, which was from 1922 to 1938.

The Model 39's that were upgraded with the stronger bolt had serial numbers with an "HS" prefix.
If you have a Model 39 with a non-HS serial number, it wasn't built to shoot modern High Speed ammunition and the bolt can break.
Old November 18, 2010, 04:50 AM   #3115
Leadhead

I picked up another 39 today.....wasn't looking for it but there it was a 1971 sitting in the used rack for $175Cdn.

Couldn't resist.

It's got slim wood up front more like a Winchester. Folding rear buckhorn sight , squared off front sight hood, no checkering and a hammer extension.
One thing I noticed so far is the hammer moves back when you squeeze the trigger on half cock...
Seems to have a light trigger pull as well.
I will strip it down and clean and inspect tomorrow and then I'm looking forward to an outing.
Old November 18, 2010, 08:15 AM   #3116
JustsayMo

Leadhead: Pitchers please!
Old November 18, 2010, 11:11 AM   #3117
actocs

Yes! Pictures please. Hey JustsayMo, those are some nice pictures you put up. Thanks. I don't know how you guys keep finding these things. Scott.
Old November 18, 2010, 12:04 PM   #3118
Nematocyst

And the crowd chants ...

Quote:
Pictures, pictures, pictures!

Old November 18, 2010, 01:24 PM   #3119
Leadhead

Picture taken.....now if I could just find that cable....
Old November 18, 2010, 08:12 PM   #3120
Nematocyst

(Laughs)

Larry the cable guy may have one.

Old November 19, 2010, 01:40 PM   #3121
Leadhead

Found it,

Old November 19, 2010, 03:31 PM   #3122
SwampWolf

Very nice indeed-and especially nice considering the give-away price.
Old November 19, 2010, 04:55 PM   #3123
Leadhead

The guys at the shop said there boss had set the price and it had been on the rack for 30minutes.... Good timing!
Old November 19, 2010, 05:19 PM   #3124
actocs

Thanks for the pics Leadhead! Looks nice. You really got lucky there. Scott.
Old November 19, 2010, 05:34 PM   #3125
holeintoe

I just received a 39A with an old weaver 3/4" tube scope on top. I am having a heck of a time figuring out when the rifle was made. The Ser.# under the lever is 23789 at least I think this is the Ser.# Any help would be greatly appreciated . Thanks

Last edited by holeintoe; November 20, 2010 at 08:33 AM.