Quantcast
The Marlin 39 Club - Page 154 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Rifle Country

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old July 14, 2012, 05:42 AM   #3826
Bob1959

What should I expect from the 39a at 50 yards? 100 yards?
I do not normally shoot that far but I want to know the limits.
I would expect with the 24 inch barrel it should be pretty tight.

Bob
Old July 14, 2012, 07:35 PM   #3827
dfariswheel

As above, doing more experimentation with better quality ammo may turn up one that gives better accuracy. Budget ammo often won't shoot well, but .22's are odd in that sometimes a cheaper brand will work better in a specific rifle.

Second, get another shooter to shoot the rifle for you. This will eliiminate any chance it's you.

A good Marlin 39-A should be able to group within 1 1/2" to 2" at 100 yards, and many will do 1" with a good scope and selected, particulary Match grade ammo.
If it just won't shoot, I'd either find a really good rifle expert gunsmith or send it in to Marlin for diagnosis and correction.
Old July 15, 2012, 12:10 AM   #3828
ArfinGreebly

Ammo & Crown

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfariswheel View Post
As above, doing more experimentation with better quality ammo may turn up one that gives better accuracy. Budget ammo often won't shoot well, but .22's are odd in that sometimes a cheaper brand will work better in a specific rifle.

Second, get another shooter to shoot the rifle for you. This will eliiminate any chance it's you.

A good Marlin 39-A should be able to group within 1 1/2" to 2" at 100 yards, and many will do 1" with a good scope and selected, particulary Match grade ammo.
If it just won't shoot, I'd either find a really good rifle expert gunsmith or send it in to Marlin for diagnosis and correction.
Agree.

I have an older 39A with a cheap crap scope that was on it when I bought it.

I've never touched the scope.

Bottle caps, consistently, at 50 yards.

Ammo can make a real difference. And a bad crown can waste a whole lot of your time and ammo.

Daughter: "Dad, how do I know who's a real friend?"
Me: "A friend is someone who cares how your life turns out."

"Truth is a dangerous thing: once found, you must never turn your back on it." -- gh@c2

"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe." -- gh@c2
Old July 15, 2012, 12:48 AM   #3829
Nematocyst

Good to see you in the 39 club room, Arf.

Bottle caps at 50 seems a reasonable goal.

Blades, Levers, Sticks & Wheels
Old July 15, 2012, 06:38 PM   #3830
Bob1959

How much play should there be in the bolt?
With the lever in firing position I have 0.005" of looseness in the bolt. I can push it forward with my thumb to tighten it up.
Will this cause the pattern variation?
Old July 15, 2012, 07:01 PM   #3831
dfariswheel

Is that with or without the chamber loaded?

I'm not sure what effect that would have on accuracy. Right now the only standard I have to go on is my 1950 version which has zero movement forward or backward with the chamber empty.

Again, if you can't find ammo that shoots in it, and a second good shooter gets the same results, the rifle should go back to Marlin.
The only reason to have the muzzle re-crowned is if it has a legitimate problem like a dent or irregularity.
Paying money for a re-crown and that doesn't fix the inaccuracy, you've just wasted money and still have to send it in.
Old July 15, 2012, 08:29 PM   #3832
Bob1959

This is 0.005" with the chamber loaded.
I have had 2 of my sons shoot with the same result.
I have used a gun vise and gotten the same result.
The crown has a small ding in it. Hard to see with the naked eye but visible with a magnifying glass. Also under the magnifying glass the chamfer is not centered. It is much thicker on one side than the other. With the naked eye it is hardly visible.
I would like to have some idea before I take it in to have work done.
Old July 16, 2012, 09:02 AM   #3833
Huckelberry75

Bob, have you checked to make sure that the barrel does not have excessive leading and just needs a good cleaning? If this is a used gun, it could easily be an issue. Regarding ammo, I have not seen a .22 that wouldn't shoot Federal Gold Medal Target ammo reasonably well.
Old July 18, 2012, 12:19 AM   #3834
The Teacher

Hi All!

First, thank you in advance for any help you might be able to provide. I have my grandfather's old 39A and I'm trying to sort out its age from the serial, but I'm not having much luck. It is a 4 digit number with no letter prefix at all, 29XX. The receiver looks like it was once a case-hardened Model 39 receiver, but the barrel is round and distinctly says model 39A. It also has a weaver model 293 scope attached. I can post some photos in the morning once the sun returns.

My father was born in 1948 and always remembers having the gun around. My uncle was born in 1940 and remembers my grandfather always having it as well. I also have his Ithaca shotgun from 1893, and a Winchester model 12 from 1936, so I'm pretty sure it is fairly old. My Dad and his brothers spent their youth shooting the crap out of it, so it isn't in the greatest shape, but I love it and it still shoots straight!!!
Old July 18, 2012, 12:20 AM   #3835
The Teacher

double post...
Old July 18, 2012, 07:46 PM   #3836
dfariswheel

Marlin serial number histories are sort of snaky. There's an in between period where the old Model 1897 numbers ended and the post-War numbers with letter prefixes start.

I don't know how to find a production date, but you might go the the Rimfirecentral web site and post on the Marlin forum.

Marlin made the 39 and 39-A in color case hardened prior to WWII, and there were round barrel versions.
The early 39-A was made from 1939 to 1945, with the First Model 39-A made in 1939 only and had numbers-only in the serial number.

Due to the narrow time frame of the color cased Model 39-A that narrows it down to the very late 1930's.
Old July 19, 2012, 12:00 AM   #3837
The Teacher

Photos

Thanks for the response and information. I appreciate. Here are a few photos of the rifle if they help at all. Thanks again!

Last edited by The Teacher; January 19, 2013 at 09:20 AM.
Old July 19, 2012, 02:49 PM   #3838
Nematocyst

Beautiful rifle, Teacher. Thanks for the pics.

Old July 20, 2012, 07:41 PM   #3839
Retired in 2001

Truly beautiful rifle love this page
Old August 19, 2012, 11:11 PM   #3840
Retired in 2001

BUMP
Old August 20, 2012, 12:36 AM   #3841
Nematocyst

This thing on?

I think we lost reputation
when Rem bought Marlin.

Glad I own a pre-Remlin.

Old August 20, 2012, 01:01 AM   #3842
Retired in 2001

It must have disappeared thought I could give it a little kick
Old August 20, 2012, 06:37 AM   #3843
Crowcifier666

Just picked up my first lever....A Marlin 1897 Texan,and she is a beauty. I will have to get some photos up here when I get a chance.
Old August 22, 2012, 01:00 AM   #3844
Irish Bird Dog

It's working.....

Hey guys,

First posted about this particular M39 & the NOT FEEDING (ie FTF) type of problem as noted in post #3361 & several others after....last post may have been #3683.

Now finally after lots of tinkering via advice from this board mostly....last wknd I put 300 rds thru this rifle and no glitches........and for 300 times if functioned perfectly....and even hit what I was shooting at....actually in previous days past I did shoot 200 more rounds of mixed ammo.....CCI Blazer bulk pack stuff & some Remington Golden bullets also bulk pack & even some of the Remmy Thunderbolts of which some of those did fail to fire even with a strong firing pin dent. Now there were a couple of small glitches when shooting a few days prior to this test run...a slight hiccup a few times where I had to "thump" the receiver with my palm to get the action to close, but close it did without dismantling action.

So, there are two miracles that happened during this shooting of the M39 with the 300 rds of ammo....the first and greatest was the superb functioning of the action...no FTF issues.......the second was that it was with.....forgive me....Remington Thunderbolts.....and NO misfires from that batch of ammo......the second miracle.
Old August 22, 2012, 03:35 PM   #3845
Nematocyst

Welcome to the club, Crowcifer. Looking forward to pics of that beauty.

Irish, that's great news! I've been without my 39 for over two years - in storage on the west coast still (very long story there), and was having thoughts of letting it go, because of my own FTF issues I was having and didn't get solved before I moved over here.

But this is encouraging. Hopefully soon, I'll be able to ship it over here. Maybe sometime in fall or early winter.

Old August 22, 2012, 08:10 PM   #3846
JustsayMo

Nem, You of all people should know the importance of a 39 in what's ahead of us. Git that 39 back to where it belongs - in your hands.

Don't know what you can hunt out that way with your 39 but I'd find out and start practicing. I can think of no other skill that will yield more confidence than actually enjoying sustenance created by one's own abilities.
Old August 22, 2012, 09:09 PM   #3847
Nematocyst

Here's a picture of Mo looking at me while he was writing that ^ .

Yeah, you're right. Need to get it over here and work on it.

Old August 22, 2012, 11:33 PM   #3848
JustsayMo

LOL. I wish I looked that good in the mirror. Seems that camera makes me look fifty years younger. May have to update my avatar with that one.

Here you are, the Honcho of the 39 club and you're not fully outfitted even by your own minimum tool kit standards. I got to roast you

Grouse season starts here in less than two weeks. It is legal to hunt them with a rimfire rifle or handgun in this state. On my last scouting trip I was happy to see good numbers again this year.
Old August 22, 2012, 11:52 PM   #3849
Nematocyst

Mo, I will gladly be roasted by you ,
even if by few others. (Generally, I get up in faces. )

As you know, somewhat, from some PM's,
it's been a rough couple of years, best described
by words beginning with the letters c, f and s.

Eat a grouse for me, please.
No, two, with stuffing and fresh corn.

Nem

Old August 23, 2012, 12:04 AM   #3850
Nematocyst

Quote:
Don't know what you can hunt out that way with your 39
but I'd find out and start practicing.
Gray squirrel in places, but not others.
(Their numbers are extremely variable even in the same habitat. Odd.)

Not many rabbits here. Too dense with woods, not many meadows.

Need to check into what birds I can take.

I'll confess that I'm even more eager to get my 336 over here.
Like some other places, the whitetail population is stressed.
Food was way down last year. But they do exist,
and .30-30 is the gun. There are meese here also (<--- joke),
and in the right hands, .30-30 will take them.
(There's also some squirrelly people living in Stephen King's state,
enough that one could appreciate a 17.5" 336 in the camp. )

But this is not to argue against the 39, just add to it.