Quantcast
The Marlin 39 Club - Page 161 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Rifle Country

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old March 4, 2013, 10:31 AM   #4001
RSchleder

Just joined this forum after finding it a few days ago and reading threads on a daily basis. I'd like to thank Mal for all his assistance in getting my membership setup.
I first owned a 39A in 1956 while in High School. I found the rifle advertised in a local paper and bought it on a Sunday afternoon (no Iowa waiting period in those days). I really don't remember what happened to that gun but I'm assuming I sold it before I went into the Army.
Many years passed and about 20 years ago, my wife (who always out shoots me ) and I went to a local gun show. We have been together since High School, been married for 53 years, and both like guns and shooting them. While in High School, we'd go to her folks cabin on weekends and shoot the family single shoot Remington 22 cal. Her brother inherited that rifle several years ago so we, at the time of the gun show did not own any guns.
While at this gun show we were casually looking for a replacement 39A for me. As luck would have it, we found a excellent 39a that I just discovered by reading this forum to be a 1946 model-c prefix. This gun is almost perfect and I just had no idea it was that old. Needless to say, it shoots perfectly, operates smoothly, and is a pure joy to own.
Anyway, on with the story! Before leaving the gun show, we had the bright idea that we would look for an identical replacement model Remington single shot for my wife. Again, luck was with us as we found a very nice gun that was exactly what we were looking for. I'm not sure how much we paid for these guns as it was a long time ago. I'm thinking it was about $150-$175 for the Marlin and $110-$125 for the Remington.
Recently we've decided to reduce the amount of varmints roaming our 6 acres which includes Groundhogs, Rabbits, Squirrels, and Chipmunks. The upstairs rear bedroom window overlooks our back yard so it's a perfect "perch" to shoot from. The 39A has carried the load here and although I do miss occasionally, it shoots straight and smooth so the miss's fall squarely on my aging eyes.
Well, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. It's a pleasure to be here and participate with other folks that care about the same rifle that means so much to me. I'm sure I'll have questions in the future and thanks to each of you in advance for your help and assistance. Ron

Last edited by RSchleder; March 4, 2013 at 11:50 AM.
Old March 4, 2013, 12:54 PM   #4002
JustsayMo

Welcome Ron, GREAT story!

Was the Remington a model 510? Anyone who can shoot one of those well is indeed a rifleman as pulling the trigger on those could pert near be an Olympic strength event.
Old March 4, 2013, 02:35 PM   #4003
RSchleder

Mo, thank you for the message. Well guess what, my credibility here is shot the first post i make. Based on your question on the single shot my wife shoots, I went to it's corner resting place in our closet to check it out. I haven't looked at the manufacturer/model# in years. Why I thought it was a Remington is beyond me, I "just knew" it. Well, it's not a model 510, in fact---it's not even a Remington, it's a Winchester, model 67. Sorry for the confusion, getting older is, well you know--BAD for the memory!
Also, I have no idea how old it is as Winchester did not serialize these rifles.

PS- just learned that the Model 67 was made from 1936 to 1939 so at least I know it's in that range, Winchester started manufacturing the 67A model in 1940.

Last edited by RSchleder; March 4, 2013 at 05:32 PM.
Old March 5, 2013, 12:16 PM   #4004
cpt-t

I got my 39A 49 years a go for X-MAS from my Wife on our first X-MAS to grather. I was so proud of that rifle I thought I was going to bust. And we went out and shot Jack Rabbits with it the same afternoon. If any thing my 39A shoot better to day than, the first day I got it. I have shot 1000`s of rounds threw my rifle, and never any problems what so ever. I have shot a truck load of varmint, pests, and small game with this rifle. I have carried this rifle many a mile hunting and plinking. It has always been a joy to own and I have always been very proud of it, and still am. I still hunt with and just shoot my 39A many times a year. I would like to join your MARLIN 39A CLUB. What do I have to do, to be excepted as a member. Thank You In Advance For Any Information.
ken
Old March 5, 2013, 02:59 PM   #4005
JustsayMo

cpt-t, I'd say you're already a full fledged member and have been for some time. Your card must of gotten lost in the mail. In the mean time I hope you'll continue to share your experiences, past and present, and post pictures if you're able. We love the pictures!

Mo
Old March 5, 2013, 07:04 PM   #4006
vizlsa1us

I recently aquired a marlin 39 a from my dad.
He told me he purchased it in 1956 for around 15 to 20 dollars.
I was born in 1955,it has a micro groove barrel and no white spacer on the but stock.
It has been a real shooter,I went to the range to fire it and held a 2" group at 25 yards.
Is this gun truly what my dad told me it is or just a wild story?
Old March 5, 2013, 08:02 PM   #4007
RSchleder

VIS- not sure what your Dad told you as I wasn't there. However, if he told you it was a GREAT lever action 22, he told you the truth. If he told you it's been manufactured in the US for over 100 years, he told you the truth. If he told you it was extremely accurate and fun to shoot, he told you the truth. If he told you there is a very large group of gun owners that will absolutely not part with their beloved 39/39A, he told you the truth. If he told you it will fire untold quanty of ammo during it's active lifetime, he told you the truth.
If, however, he told you anything bad or negative about this wonderful rifle, he LIED!
Old March 6, 2013, 04:57 PM   #4008
RSchleder

I'm thinking about putting a scope on my 1946 (c prefix) 39A. I am determined not drill any new holes or disfigure my rifle in any way. There are two screws drilled and threaded (about 1 i/4 " apart and filled with slotted screws) on the side of the chamber opposite the side from where the shell casing ejects.
I believe Marlin. or at least, some company made/makes a scope mount to fit these holes. My questions are:

1) Is there a mount for the 39A as described? Where can I get one?

2) Is it any good? Will it hold the scope steady enough to be accurate

3) What type of "rings" and scope works best with this setup. I'd like to be at >$200 for the setup.

Note: I shoot primarily for fun in the 25-50yard range from a stationary position, no in the forest tramping around.

Thanks in advance for any assistance/info. Ron
Old March 6, 2013, 06:46 PM   #4009
dfariswheel

The holes on the left side are for receiver sights.
I don't "think" anyone ever made a scope mount to fit the holes due to the narrow spacing not being able to give a sturdy enough installation.

You might check into this mount and see if it attaches to the receiver sight holes in the side.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/340...yle-gloss-high

On those era Marlin's, you're pretty much limited to a period type mount that needs to have 4 holes drilled on the left side of the barrel, or have the receiver top drilled.
Old March 6, 2013, 07:53 PM   #4010
RSchleder

dfaris
Thanks for the prompt reply and the great (although disappointing) information.
I am now thinking that perhaps a better (or more sophisticated) sight may be my best/only choice without molesting the rifle. I wear trifocals so whatever sight I use would need to be compatible with my glasses.
Can you possibly suggest a sight/sighting system that would attach to my 39A screw holes and give me better accuracy in the 25-50 yard range. I'd gladly spend $100 or so on a new sight to help my 73 year old eyes.
I spent 23 years in the Iowa National Guard and retired in the mid 80's. For some unknown reason, I don't shoot as well as I once did with my M1 or M16. Can't figure that one out--YEAH RIGHT!
Once again, thanks a bunch, I appreciate being able to bounce this off you and learn as I go. Ron

PS: anyone else want to jump in here, I'd be pleased to hear your opinion/recommendation as well.
Old March 6, 2013, 08:22 PM   #4011
casecolor

reciver sight

http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/s...eiver-peep.php

Hi RS, Lyman makes a reciver sight that will work on your 39, above is the adress, you also may want to check williams sight's, It seems like they also made a reciver/peep sight for the factory drilled reciver sight hole locations on the 39.
Old March 6, 2013, 09:23 PM   #4012
RSchleder

Case, thank you, will check it out. Appreciate your input, Ron
Old March 6, 2013, 09:33 PM   #4013
cpt-t

JustsayMO : Thank you for your info on membership. I am not very sharp on this computer, and can just barely turn it off and on. But I have enjoyed the darn thing and have met some great GUN PEOPLE. Thanks Again:
ken
Old March 7, 2013, 08:35 AM   #4014
RSchleder

After looking into various sights, I took the recommendation of Case and ordered a Lyman #66mc for my 39A as it's a direct fit. This must be a very popular sight as they are stating a "2 week delay in shipping this sight".
Thanks again for those that took the time to help me with this decision.
Ron
Old March 7, 2013, 09:05 AM   #4015
mainmech48

I have experienced much the same problem getting a clear focus on the front sight, RSchleder, especially with traditional open irons. For me, mounting a receiver sight such as the Lyman 66 or Williams Foolproof/5D along with replacing the factory gold bead front with a fiber optic one makes a huge difference.

The fiber optic "bead" gives me much, much better definition and a clearer sight picture. The receiver sight takes one focal plane out of the equation and that helps, too. FWIW, I have this combination installed on all of my Marlin and Rossi LAs, including my treasured 39M, and it has worked very well to help me keep putting the hits where I want them.

IME, the correct model of either make of receiver sight will fit the factory drilled and tapped mounting holes. There are application charts for both on the Brownell's website and in their catalog. Both also offer an assortment of apertures of various sizes which are inexpensive and easily changed-out. Some experimenting may be necessary to determine which aperture size gives you your optimum sight picture but I'm sure that you'll be able to do that.

Hope this is of some help.
Old March 7, 2013, 10:01 AM   #4016
RSchleder

Mainmech,
Thanks for your input. Can you suggest where I might purchase a new(improved) front sight? Ron
Old March 7, 2013, 01:09 PM   #4017
casecolor

Series 17A Target Front Sights

Hi RS, another option for a front sight is the Lyman 17 series, I have them on one of my .22's, its a really fast fun sight that has cross hairs like a scope, and works well with a reciver sight. The major draw back that I have found with it though is that its hard to use in low light (morning/late afternoon). Just thought I would mention it, if you hadnt looked at them yet.

http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/s...series-17a.php
Old March 7, 2013, 04:46 PM   #4018
CB900F

RSchleder;

Go to www.brownells.com & browse around. DON'T order the catalog unless you have the time, and money, to spend with it. The dang thing is addictive I'm tellin' ya.

However, if they don't have it, you probably don't need it.

900F
Old March 8, 2013, 11:53 AM   #4019
mainmech48

You're welcome RSchleder. Glad you found it helpful. I usually order from Brownell's or Midway USA.

The sights come in a rather wide variety of heights and base widths. I've never had to use a taller-than-stock front on any of my Marlins so far in order to obtain a proper zero with ample leeway for elevation adjustment both ways, but I have had to do so on my 10/22s (Wiiliams Guide Receiver sights)and a Norinco ATD (Browning .22 Auto copy) that I installed a Lyman 66A on to make myself an inexpensive, compact take-down truck gun. On all of these the receiver sight's higher line-of-sight relative to factory opens made that necessary.

If you have access to a calipher, just measure your stock front from the base of the dovetail to the top. If none of the available options match that to within a couple of thousandths, go to the next taller to be on the safe side.
Old March 13, 2013, 12:28 PM   #4020
RSchleder

I was examining my 1946 (c-prefix) 39A yesterday and noticed 2 small, less than a thin pencil lead, rust pits located on the receiver section of the rifle .
I would like to stop any further damage to my 39A so would appreciate some advice on the best process to "fix" this problem. I'd like to do three things:
1) retain the originality of the rifle so I'll need to do a localized repair.
2) make the repair as "pleasing to the eye" as possible.
3) Make the repair myself unless that is not a good strategy.

Thanks in advance for any help, I do appreciate it! Ron
Old March 13, 2013, 09:00 PM   #4021
Nematocyst

RS, are they on the outside of the receiver, or inside somewhere?

Blades, Levers, Sticks & Wheels
Old March 13, 2013, 10:16 PM   #4022
dfariswheel

If you have pits in the steel, there IS no "fix" other than a total refinish that polishes the metal down to the bottom of the pits.
A pit is missing steel caused by rust eating into the steel. Once gone, you can't put it back.

All you can do is stop further rusting and pitting by keeping a coat of a rust preventing product on the metal.
CLP Breakfree is good because it penetrates into the pits and stops rust.
Just keep a thin coat on the metal.
Old March 13, 2013, 11:08 PM   #4023
kynwatch

RS hope the rust stops!

Glad I found my 39 before this shortage happened. I was able to pick up 1000 rounds of CCI 22 long yesterday. Now I have an extra 1000 22lr for the less accommodating rimfires. It makes me love this rifle even more!
Old March 14, 2013, 07:35 AM   #4024
RSchleder

Nem, they are on the outside, on the flat side without the screws.

Dfaris, I certainly realize that I cannot "replace" the portion of the metal eaten away by the rust. I simply want to stop any further rust and do it in such a manner that visually detracts the least on my rifle.

PS---Rust-o-liem makes a rust reformer product that I have used extensively on my outside equipment. It goes on essentially clear and turns any rust black and converts it to an inactive state. I thought about using a pin and placing a very small drop into each rust spot. Any feed back on this idea?

Thanks guys for the replies!
Old March 14, 2013, 07:54 AM   #4025
RSchleder

Kyn, congrats on getting your Marlin and finding ammo. I know you'll have many great years with it! Ron