Quantcast
The Marlin 39 Club - Page 165 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Rifle Country

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old April 2, 2013, 11:33 AM   #4101
Orion8472

CB, I truly hope you can find a set. I agree that the older version looks better.

Everyone else, . . . I will be sure to keep you informed as to the transformation. The guy I will take it to does very good work, so I'm confident it will be much better in the future. I even THOUGHT about replacing the finger lever with one of those slightly bigger levers. They're a bit more in price though, but if I have already spent more on it, might as well go big.

Before I do that, though, . . . is the larger loop a "no-no" with you guys on here?
Old April 2, 2013, 02:18 PM   #4102
Nematocyst

Not a 'no-no' for me, at all. I want one. Of course, I live up here where it's cold enough for gloves (at least for me) 8 months of the year, including during hunting season. (It's April 2, and fairly cold out. We'll only get into the mid-30's today. My studio door was frozen shut this morning. Of course, we pay during the winter, but we win big time in the summer while southerners roast. )

RE fore ends, I totally understand and respect why many like the older 'perch belly' better. But I don't. I've handled both, but like the newer more narrow one's best. Has to do with my smaller hands; I can get a much more secure, comfortable grip on the newer ones.

Blades, Levers, Sticks & Wheels
Old April 2, 2013, 02:27 PM   #4103
Buffalosix

Just got my first 39A a couple of weeks ago. Brand spankin' new. Its a Marlington (or Remlin), but the barrel still shows CT address on it, not Ilion.

I looked at some higher end (trans. - more expensive) Winchester and Browning .22LR's, but the full-size of the 39A, plus the overall rugged way it felt (plus the fact it was a take down) swayed me.

Wow, is this thing a shooter. And with the Skinner sight I put on it, twice so....

B6
Old April 2, 2013, 02:48 PM   #4104
Orion8472

If I put a peep rear sight on mine, do I have to change the front sight? What about a Lyman?
Old April 2, 2013, 04:17 PM   #4105
Buffalosix

Orion: I didn't have to do a thing to the stock front sight on my 39A, the Skinner sight aligned perfectly. I have no idea if this applies to older 39's...

B6
Old April 2, 2013, 04:43 PM   #4106
Orion8472

Okay. Maybe someone else knows the answer. I'm wanting to get either the Skinner or a Lyman because I like the peep sight better.
Old April 2, 2013, 05:25 PM   #4107
Furncliff

The answer to your question is... maybe.

Visit the Skinner web site for further explanation.
Old April 2, 2013, 05:29 PM   #4108
tinky

marlin 39a

I own a 1946 version of the 39a with a King rear sight.The front has no hood and I have seen two kinds for sale.Which one would be the proper hood for my rifle?One is round and the other has more more of a sculpture look.
Old April 2, 2013, 08:38 PM   #4109
dfariswheel

The round one would be "correct" to that time period.
The more bulged looking on came along a lot later.
Old April 2, 2013, 09:47 PM   #4110
tinky

marlin 39a

Thanks...I'll try to buy one to suit.Can't figure out how to post pictures or I'd post one of this little beauty.I appreciate your help.

Bill Phillips
Old April 2, 2013, 10:11 PM   #4111
Nematocyst

Quote:
Can't figure out how to post pictures
Tink, do you have a .jpg image, or a .gif or something similar in digital format?

If so, and it's already on line, just click on the icon that looks like this in the editing box that you post from, and post the URL of your image into the dialog box.

If it's on your hard drive, you'll need to "go advanced", click 'manage attachments', then upload your image from there. If you need more help, just shoot me a pm.

Old April 3, 2013, 09:00 AM   #4112
tinky

marlin 39a

I'll try again to post a picture of c10xx.
Old April 3, 2013, 01:20 PM   #4113
tinky

Mauser .22 sporter

Old April 3, 2013, 06:31 PM   #4114
Nematocyst

Tink, PM inbound. No worries. We'll make it work.

Old April 3, 2013, 10:51 PM   #4115
Nematocyst

OK, so here's an image from Tinky (Bill). He mailed it to me to put it up.
He's got better stuff to do right now - like care for these rifles (see below) -
than sort out how to post an image.

He'll comment about it, too. Interesting story (that he tells well)
behind this one that includes two other Marlins.
(Clearly we need to get you over to the 336 Club, too. )

OK, here 'tis. More story coming.

Let me be the first to say, nice rifle!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010531.JPG (163.5 KB, 123 views)

Old April 4, 2013, 08:32 AM   #4116
RSchleder

I very recently put a Lyman 66MC sight on my 1946 39A. The Lyman fit perfectly, shoots straight, and I really like the look it adds to my rifle. I DID NOT need to change the front sight, it works fine. I don't have a hood on my front so not sure if that would need to be removed or not on yours. But, to answer your question--the stock front sight is fine with the Lyman!

PS-I put a small dab of "blaster" on the 2 dummy screws that need to be removed to mount the Lyman, let it set for 1/2 hour and they backed right out after 67 years.

Last edited by RSchleder; April 4, 2013 at 08:37 AM.
Old April 4, 2013, 09:21 AM   #4117
tinky

marlin 39a

Thanks for posting my picture,always liked this type of rifle.I also have my Dad's Model 93(30-30) serial number 2469 that Marlin says was mfg around 1905.The stock was shortened for Dad, as he was vertically impaired,and the blue is brown now.Dad used the 30-30 for deer,groundhogs and had "barked" squirrels with it as well.He told stories about the "depression"when ,if the whistle pig didn't come out of the hole;you went without meat that day.My Model 39c(1963)that carries the same four digits of a serial number as the 93 but in different places has already been given to one of my Grandsons.He will also get the 93.My 1892 that was mfg in 1906 is out to a gunsmith having a broken buttplate chip repaired.That rounds out my modest group of Marlins and thanks again for helping me.

Bill Phillips
Old April 4, 2013, 09:34 AM   #4118
Orion8472

RScleder, . . . thanks for that report. The Lyman is really the one I'm wanting anyway. . . for a reason I can't really get in to, but I think I will like it better than the original. Will just have to put up with the "empty dove tale" look. Where is the best place to purchase one?

Also, did I hear you right . . . that you use some of the side screws on the receiver to mount the Lyman, . . . or just the screws on the top of the receiver?

This 39a of mine will end up being one pricey rifle after all is done to it. Oh well. :-)

*Update*

Looks like the new Lyman sights aren't as good as they used to be. People are recommending the Williams.

Last edited by Orion8472; April 4, 2013 at 11:40 AM.
Old April 4, 2013, 12:33 PM   #4119
Nematocyst

Tink, I'd never even heard of a Marlin 1892 until you mentioned it in your mail to me.

Interested in learning more. Found this thread over on Marlin Owners with a web search.

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/ma...92-22-cal.html

Haven't looked on THR yet.

Is it part of the 39 lineage, like a precursor model, or a separate ancestory?

Looks like the same rifle to me, with a different name.

Was that what Annie Oakley shot?

Old April 4, 2013, 01:34 PM   #4120
ColoDave

I believe if I remember correctly, the original marlin 22 cal lever action was the 1892, then the 1897, and then to the 39's and 39A etc.....
Old April 4, 2013, 04:21 PM   #4121
RSchleder

You won't be sorry if you buy the Lyman. I've put a couple of links at the bottom of the message to the Sight purchase as well as a dove tail filler plate for your 39A. Yes, the Lyman mounts to the side of the receiver by removing the two small screws that are adjacent to each other toward the top.

Bought mine at--------Lymanproducts.com
Dovetail fuller plate---http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/sights/sight-parts/front-sight-blanks/marble-slot-blank-prod8820.aspx
Old April 4, 2013, 04:55 PM   #4122
Orion8472

Thanks for the information!

So, I should overlook those who say the aluminum in what you get causes the sight to get easily knocked off zero? It's hard to know what to believe, online. Could be "a person with a grudge".
Old April 4, 2013, 07:18 PM   #4123
dfariswheel

Both Williams and Lyman receiver sights are now aluminum.
Lyman used to be steel, and you might still find one on Ebay or one of the gun auctions, or by posting a Wanted To Buy ad on the gun forum classified sections.

In order to knock an aluminum receiver sight out of adjustment would probably take as much to knock a steel sight around.
These things are pretty sturdy, but nothing can take abuse.
The Williams was always aluminum, the Lyman doesn't seem to have made the transition from steel to aluminum as well as we might like.
Old April 4, 2013, 07:26 PM   #4124
Orion8472

Well, for me, I'm just giving it some thought. Not sure what I will ultimately do. If I DO get one, though, I might go with the Williams.
Old April 4, 2013, 09:18 PM   #4125
tinky

Williams sight

ebay has a Williams F-P 39 for $45.00 said to have a tensile strength of 85,000 pounds.Fits most Model 39's