Quantcast
The Marlin 39 Club - Page 167 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Rifle Country

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old April 13, 2013, 08:01 AM   #4151
texasred777

History!!!

You guys are fantastic. I'm 70 yo and have never really researched firearms. On this forum, I have learned more about firearms in the past couple of years than in all my past. I'm proud to be a member!!
Old April 13, 2013, 01:14 PM   #4152
Nematocyst

Red, that's the reason I've stayed around here so long, too. I'm 60+, and have owned guns almost continuously since I was about 8 (first bb rifle, then pellet, then shotgun, then .22, etc, etc.). But what I've learned here about firearms (and other tools) and their safe, responsible use in the last (checks join date) 7.5 years (wow, has it been that long?!) is 100X what I knew from the entire rest of my life. And all offered in a tactful manner with a minimum of chest pounding and bravado found on other gun forums.

Can't beat THR for gun education.

Blades, Levers, Sticks & Wheels
Old April 13, 2013, 04:36 PM   #4153
LT.Diver

I finally got around to replacing the broken front sight on my old 39-A. Loaded it up with CB's and had a blast knocking a golf ball around my back yard. I love how accurate that old levergun is.
Old April 14, 2013, 12:33 AM   #4154
cpt-t

This is probabley out of place, but is there a Marlin 444 , 45/70, or 38/55 Club. Like the Marlin 39A Club here on THR. I am a real Marlin Lever Gun fan.
ken
Old April 14, 2013, 07:10 AM   #4155
wabo100

1941 Marlin 39a

Picked up a nice marlin 39a the other day

Old April 14, 2013, 09:17 AM   #4156
cpt-t

wabo100: Your new rifle is just really something special. Will you shoot it, I would love to know how it cycles and how accurate it is. I envey you on owning such a fine rifle.
ken
Old April 14, 2013, 09:12 PM   #4157
HarryB

Thanks to a gift from my dad I get to join...

Not as nice as the one posted above, but I also have a case hardened 39a from 1941. However I need to find a new butt stock. A previous owner was overzealous sanding for a refinish job. Its still sweet. And I want a tang sight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1801.jpg (156.0 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1798.jpg (177.0 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1800.jpg (208.4 KB, 31 views)
Old April 15, 2013, 12:17 AM   #4158
Nematocyst

Wabo and Harry, awesome rifles!

And both 1941! What's the chance!

Welcome!

Old April 15, 2013, 01:16 AM   #4159
Fast Frank

Yes, sweet rifles, both of them!

I'm very fond of the case color look on a 39. Beautiful.

I actually got a chance to ease out to a little creek on some private property today. It's not something I usually get to do so when the opportunity comes up I go for it! The wife came along this time, too. (She took the pic)

That's me, and the 4WD truck is how I got out there. Talk about your "Must Have" accessory! It would be a long walk out there on foot.

The rifle on the left is my Model 60, The rifle on the right is my scoped Model 39, and the pistol is a Ruger Mk3 .22/45.

We had a great old time with it and shot up some carefully hoarded MiniMags.

Those Federals you see there are for the pistol. The Ruger likes those, but the Marlins not so much.

I sure wish I had access to that little creek more often. In my mind, that's the right way to shoot a .22. There's about a hundred yards or so visible from where we were sitting, and there's a high bank backstop all the way out. The nearest house is at least a mile away.

Sure was fun, and now I need to figure out how to replace the ammo I used.
Old April 15, 2013, 09:01 AM   #4160
JustsayMo

That Case Coloring is stunning.

The beauty and craftsmanship we see in the rifles of old amazes me. Definitely more soul than the polymer gadgets common today.

Frank, glad to see you out burning some powder. For a while there I was worried you're 39 might not get enough exercise to stay healthy. Did you get any video?
Old April 15, 2013, 09:33 AM   #4161
Orion8472

Is a case color something my gunsmith could do on mine, or does it require something that most gunsmiths no longer have? I don't know how the case color is created. I'll have to ask my gunsmith when I take the rest of the metal pieces to him.

Harry, is the "overzealous" part of the sanding . . . meaning that he took too much wood off the area where the pistol grip is? I can see that. I'm redoing the wood on mine, but only took a few surface scratches out. It is looking really nice now. Great looking Walnut. About ready for the polyurethane coats.
Old April 15, 2013, 08:33 PM   #4162
dfariswheel

Color case hardening is a highly specialized process that's very easy to botch and ruin the receiver.

If you're serious, talk to Doug Turnbull. They're the American experts on restoring old guns and they've researched the methods the factories used to do color casing and can duplicate the type used by Marlin.
They're expensive but the work is literally world class.
As I recall, Marlin was famous for Red colors in their case coloring.

http://www.turnbullmfg.com/
Old April 15, 2013, 08:48 PM   #4163
Orion8472

I see. I'll just stick with the standard bluing. Thanks for the link. They surely DO. . . . do great work!
Old April 15, 2013, 08:48 PM   #4164
CB900F

Fella's;

And, if I remember correctly, and it's certainly possible that I don't but every once in a while I surprise myself, there are two types of "case hardening". The first is what I'm sure Mr. Turnbull does. It's a (maybe) charcoal process, and the color is deep into the metal. The other is a chemical process, which is quick & easy, but the color is only a surface treatment that wears rather quickly.

900F
Old April 15, 2013, 10:23 PM   #4165
HarryB

Quote:
Harry, is the "overzealous" part of the sanding . . . meaning that he took too much wood off the area where the pistol grip is? I can see that. I'm redoing the wood on mine, but only took a few surface scratches out. It is looking really nice now. Great looking Walnut. About ready for the polyurethane coats.
Yes, too much wood removed from the pistol grip near the lever, and even worse along the tang. I want to keep the replacement wood just as plain, with just a simple oiled finish
Old April 16, 2013, 11:11 AM   #4166
Orion8472

Okay, Skinner Rear Sight guys. . . . . . Did you replace your front sight? Do you need to? Can you make the Skinner work with the original front sight? I'm thinking I may like that look over the side mounts [Williams], but not if I have to change out the front too. Most of my shooting will be .22lr bulk.
Old April 16, 2013, 05:17 PM   #4167
tubeshooter

My original front sight worked fine.

Dr. Skinner (wisely) makes no absolute guarantees, but I think in almost all cases the original front will work for the 39A. Hopefully some others will chime in also.
Old April 17, 2013, 09:14 PM   #4168
Wildlifeforever

First Post

Hello fellow 39 Marlin Club members. New Old Guy Newbie here.
In the past few months I've been on a Marlin buying spree.

Marlin Century Limited
Wild Life Forever
Article II
NRA 39A
1897 Cowboy
39M Square lever

also own
39A from the 60s
39A fixer upper
39M Round Lever
Mdl 70 PSS Papoose Last Month & I'm working to get another 1 soon.
Old April 17, 2013, 10:26 PM   #4169
JustsayMo

Wildlifeforever: Welcome to the club. With a stable like yours I predict you'll make it onto the board of directors real soon. A fine collection indeed with more than a couple you don't see everyday. Some pictures sure would be nice...

Those 1897 Cowboys are hard to come by and don't often come cheap. I got offered enough recently I almost considered parting with mine. One of the best "39" configurations out there and THE best of the modern offerings. Amazingly well balanced, easy to carry all day and that front bead just hangs on the target.

Orion8472: The Skinner sight worked fine with the stock front on my Mountie. I shoot mostly bulk ammo too. There isn't enough difference in accuracy to justify the spendy stuff - Grouse are just as dead, silhouettes fall over just as well and group size on paper will still fit under a quarter at 50. If I was just punching paper for group size that'd be different but my 39's spend more time in the woods and ringing steel than they do punching holes in paper.

Last edited by JustsayMo; April 18, 2013 at 11:27 PM.
Old April 17, 2013, 11:18 PM   #4170
Nematocyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
Wildlifeforever: Welcome to the club. With a stable like yours I predict you'll make it onto the board of directors real soon.
With a stable like that, he may BE the board of directors real soon.

Welcome in, Wildlife. And welcome to THR. Yes, pics if possible. We're big on pics here. Especially for presidential candidates.

Old April 17, 2013, 11:23 PM   #4171
Orion8472

Thanks! I will consider that in my decision.
Old April 18, 2013, 12:37 AM   #4172
Nematocyst

FFrank, I almost overlooked your post above. Glad I scrolled up, I'd have missed it.

Good to 'see' you. Nice to put a face/body to a name.

I'll have to post some of me someday. Got this high level security clearance right now that prevents it.

Old April 18, 2013, 11:42 AM   #4173
Wildlifeforever

Welcome

Thank you for the greetings. I will accept no nominations for anything, for in
my eyes I'm not worthy. I enjoy watching others enjoy themselves. If I'm
able I will post Pics. I was raised in NJ so I don't have much time hands on
with Firearms . My father bought the 1st Marlin 39A in the late 50s early
60s. It was New. I found the fixer upper at a flea Market. It had been left
out in the weather in bad shape minus bolt & shoulder stock. I had them
replaced by a so called gunsmith in NJ it took 2 Years to get that far. I had
to Relocate so off to the Black Hills of SD. I found a new pre Microgroove
barrel & had it installed. It looks bad but it is able to shoot. Octagon
barrels have been my passion lately. The 39WL is such a handsome Rifle.
Half Round Half Octagon got both. Love it. I know it was a joke. Sorry I got to go. Thanks Again for the Greetings
Old April 18, 2013, 07:09 PM   #4174
Wildlifeforever

Pic of Cowboy

Testing
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Marlin Cowboy 1.jpg (95.0 KB, 32 views)
Old April 18, 2013, 07:18 PM   #4175
Wildlifeforever

Rest of my Cowboy

A few more.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Marlin Cowboy 4.jpg (81.8 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Marlin Cowboy 2.jpg (84.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Marlin Cowboy 3.jpg (100.0 KB, 15 views)