Quantcast
The Marlin 39 Club - Page 20 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Rifle Country

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old August 30, 2007, 04:48 PM   #476
Nematocyst

Woof, it's an interesting idea, but my gut level says I don't think it will fly.

There are still those - including some mods - who (understandably) don't appreciate the concept of "club" (that's a thread in itself, best that we don't get into it here), and would balk.

Plus it's another layer of work for an already overburdened set of admins who are doing their best to keep the entire forum (THR) running efficiently with too little time and very little financial support.

I think as interesting as your idea may be, it would just stress an already stressed system.

Not saying it can't happen. Maybe a thread in general gun discussions could explore it. (I'm about to get really busy at work for the month of Sept, so not sure how much I could participate ...)

Blades, Levers, Sticks & Wheels
Old August 30, 2007, 05:29 PM   #477
ArmedBear

How about splitting out Rifles, Evil and Rifles, Non-evil? (No, I'm not serious.)
Old August 30, 2007, 05:39 PM   #478
Nematocyst

<laughs>

Old August 30, 2007, 10:12 PM   #479
Jaguar

Postcard Match

So, I think we're ready to start the match. I believe we should keep the range to 25 yards and make the deadline for entering Thanksgiving 2007. I believe all the rules are fairly well reviewed and set so I will start a new thread titled "Marlin 39 Club Postcard Match" which will state all the rules. We will keep the list of participants updated in the match thread and I will try to keep the thread updated with participants and who has cards submitted.

I am volunteering to be the judge, unless someone else wants the job. I hope no one objects to me scoring myself but if you do, Iíll let you be judge.
Old August 30, 2007, 11:25 PM   #480
Nematocyst

Quote:
I am volunteering to be the judge, unless someone else wants the job.
I hope no one objects to me scoring myself but if you do, I’ll let you be judge.
First prize is $10K, right?

Hmmm, maybe we need an independent judge ... just to confirm at the end ...

Only kidding.

Old August 31, 2007, 09:03 AM   #481
Jaguar

Quote:
Hmmm, maybe we need an independent judge ... just to confirm at the end ...

Only kidding.
What did I hear? Nem volunteering to judge? Was that what that noise was?

Are you going to have your rifle back by Thanksgiving?

The postcard match is up and running. Here is the link to the thread so come on, lets see some participation. I don't want JustsayMo to be the only one to beat me.

I have got my Skinner Sights, just not on the gun yet. I am going to shoot in both classes in the postcard match, and since I have the scope mounted and "mostly" sighted in, I will shoot in that class first. Maybe try a switchover at the range. I must say Dr. Tim Skinner knows customer service. I mailed an order to him with a check in it and received my sights in 6 days. I was somewhat surprised since I asked for (and received) a nonstandard size aperture. The sight looks and feels solid, I am expecting it to last as long as the Marlin, and that is no low expectation.
Old August 31, 2007, 03:47 PM   #482
Nematocyst

Quote:
Are you going to have your rifle back by Thanksgiving?
Man, I hope so.

The postcard match thread looks good. Should be fun and contribute nicely to strengthening THR community cohesion.

Nem

Old August 31, 2007, 05:20 PM   #483
Jaguar

Quote:
The postcard match thread looks good. Should be fun and contribute nicely to strengthening THR community cohesion.
Either that or cause its complete destruction.
Old August 31, 2007, 05:43 PM   #484
Nematocyst

Hahahahaha...

yeah, i guess that's a possibility.

ya never know, even with good intentions.

Old September 3, 2007, 12:53 AM   #485
ArmedBear

Perhaps SIG (Special Interest Group) might be better than Club? Or somesuch?
Old September 3, 2007, 12:58 AM   #486
ArmedBear

Smile And here it is!

Finally brought home the 39M Octagon I posted about many weeks ago.

Pictures (click to enlarge):

I think it's in better condition than I remembered. I'm stoked to finally have it home, especially now that paying for it is almost a distant memory.
Old September 3, 2007, 02:49 AM   #487
Nematocyst

AB, dude, you freakin' scored.

Beautiful.

Old September 3, 2007, 10:16 AM   #488
Jaguar

ArmedBear, beautiful rifle. I like the octagonal barrel, but what kind of rifling is in it, normal or micro-grooved?

Now let's see how it shoots, sign up for the postcard match.

Old September 3, 2007, 02:45 PM   #489
woof

Questions about Skinner sights. How much are they? The products link on the website didn't work and I saw nothing about how to buy. Also, how hard on they to put on? No doubt "I" could screw it up, but can pretty much any gunsmith be trusted with it? Last, does the original buckhorn sight have to come off or is it ok folded down? Thanks
Old September 3, 2007, 03:55 PM   #490
Nematocyst

Woof, try this link for the Skinner sights.

That page does display a bit strangely in my browser (Firebird), but it does display.

Price for them is $45, which includes the front sight.

You won't need a smith for installation, just a good screwdriver.

Can't tell you about the buckhorns. E'trode can though ...

Old September 3, 2007, 10:09 PM   #491
Jaguar

Quote:
Questions about Skinner sights. How much are they? The products link on the website didn't work and I saw nothing about how to buy. Also, how hard on they to put on? No doubt "I" could screw it up, but can pretty much any gunsmith be trusted with it? Last, does the original buckhorn sight have to come off or is it ok folded down? Thanks
woof, The cost is $45 for just a rear sight - or $50 with the front sight. I just sent him a letter telling him what I wanted and a check and had mine in a week. You need an allen wrench to put it on, and it mounts where the scope rail mounts so no modifications unless your gun is not drilled and tapped for a scope rail. You don't need a smith to do it, I switched from scope to skinner at the range no problem. As for the original buckhorn, yep, I just fold it down.

I would recommend you get the front sight as the original is a little low and forces the rear sight to its lowest position. I could still shoot without the front installed, but I am planning to press in the new front just to raise the rear a bit.

I also asked for, and received, an extra small .025" aperture for the rear. It is almost too small, but I used it and I like it.
Old September 4, 2007, 12:29 PM   #492
ArmedBear

Quote:
Now let's see how it shoots, sign up for the postcard match.
It and my 39A will both be in the match.

It's Micro-groove rifling. The Octagon model is a rare variant from 1973; the Article II that preceded it was Ballard and I think they quit making octagon barrels altogether after that year -- though Marlin might start again tomorrow, who knows. The Octagon's barrel is a tad skinnier than the current 39A's round heavy barrel. It will be interesting to see how it shoots.

The outside is nice, but the inside will need a complete cleaning and going-over before I shoot it. Loose screws led to the receiver not fitting together right when I first looked at it, and I want to check all of them. It looks like the previous owner didn't ever clean the receiver, just the barrel.

Thanks to both Nematocyst and Jaguar. You make me feel better about spending money I didn't have budgeted originally.
Old September 4, 2007, 03:51 PM   #493
Nematocyst

Quote:
...I didn't have budgeted originally
<Having trouble with pronunciation>

Bug... bude ... budgeted ...

What's "budgeted" mean?

It's interesting to hear that the octagon barrel is thinner than a standard barrel. Didn't expect that.

Really looking forward to hearing how it shoots once you get 'er cleaned and tightened up.

Old September 4, 2007, 04:19 PM   #494
ArmedBear

It's not like a 10/22 barrel or anything, just not quite as heavy as the 39A.
Old September 4, 2007, 04:36 PM   #495
JustsayMo

AB, I'd gladly give you what you paid for it

I have two Mounties but that is one I've got to find. GREAT score!
Old September 4, 2007, 09:36 PM   #496
snaffle

Hi Guys: I just purchased a new 39A today, not a single round thru it yet just cleaning and inspecting at the moment. At first glance I think that I've got myself a good gun,good wood, good barrel crown, 5# trigger with a little creep; not a Cooper but then not the price of a Cooper. I'll get a trigger job done to try and get the weight down to 3.5 or 4# and turn the creep into a roll. Maybe a Skinner sight but I kinda like the semi-buckhorn, we'll see. I've been lurking on this site for about a week and I just want to thank you all for the information found within. In that I now have the gun in my hands, I can understand why there is such a strong following for this little .22....Thanks, Steve
Old September 5, 2007, 05:19 AM   #497
Nematocyst

Hey, Snaf, welcome to the clubhouse and to THR. Glad you joined us.

Nice description of your new 39. Sounds like you've been around rifles for a while.

Yeah, we should actually discuss trigger jobs a bit. I don't think we've done much of that yet ... maybe a bit here and there ...

You should join us in the post card shoot.

OK, off to bed with me, right after a snack ...

Old September 5, 2007, 11:26 AM   #498
snaffle

Hi: Thanks. I put 20 rounds thru her this morning. No problems, with 10 rounds within an inch at 25 yards using Aguila Rifle Match. I find that it's easier to sight if the gold dot on the front post is illuminated but that's hard to achieve with the hood installed (but it looks good). The trigger was better than I thought, perhaps after a little shooting the creep will smooth out (roll is smooth creep). I have a good gunsmith here in CT, if I take the gun to him I'll let you know what he does to it. I would think that polishing the sear and hammer surfaces would about do it. I bought my first rifle in 1975, a 10/22 that now has a Clark sporter barrel, a Kidd trigger with a 1.5 pound pull and a Leupold 4x scope. It will shoot .5 inch groups at 50 yards
Old September 5, 2007, 11:46 AM   #499
ArmedBear

I found that putting a little oil in the action as well as on the sear smoothed out everything, including the sear. I don't feel the need to have mine worked, since it's not a benchrest rifle and the trigger is really smooth, and doesn't feel "creepy" at all now. It's had about 1000 rounds through it, give or take.
Old September 5, 2007, 12:35 PM   #500
Mal H
Administrator

I've got to add this, the 500th post to the Marlin 39 Club!

I think this is a new record. 500 posts (and almost 17,000 views) in a thread that isn't politically motivated, doesn't get locked for excessive arguing and name calling, and remains on topic!

Tres cool!

And just so my post isn't OT, here's a pic of my 39 (testing out my new camera):
Attached Images
File Type: jpg marlin_39.jpg (80.4 KB, 137 views)