Quantcast
The Marlin 39 Club - Page 56 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Rifle Country

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old March 20, 2008, 09:54 AM   #1376
DJR

Quote:
sounds like you'd best hang on to some of those for times that you really need them. Nematocyst
From the sounds of things I'm going to need them right away if I can get out and shoot the Shamrock Shoot. Something I plan to do asap.

I don't really expect these to have the same magic, they are boxed differently but should be from about the same time of mfg. I think they would be about four or five years old.

DJR
Old March 22, 2008, 01:34 PM   #1377
JustsayMo

April Fools rimfire levergun postal match

JohnMcl suggested a "barricade shoot" for April's postal match. This time targets will be posted at 50 yards, bigger bullseye using front rest only (no elbows on the table) scoring five shots closest to the center. What do you guys think?

I'm also considering a side match for companion handguns. Distance 25 feet (minimum), six shots, any caliber, any action, one handed (Wyatt Earp style) scoring yet to be determined.

Still time to do the Leveraction rimfire Shamrock Shoot too!
Old March 22, 2008, 02:17 PM   #1378
ksyodeldog

lets getter' done
Old March 22, 2008, 02:21 PM   #1379
45Guy

I just picked up a Marlin Original Golden 39A. This is a sweet feeling rifle! I can't wait for the weather to be nice so I can go out & shoot it.
Old March 22, 2008, 05:37 PM   #1380
JustsayMo

45 Guy, if you are like most of us, your 'new' 39 will fast become one of your favorites. Not only is it fun to shoot, its fun to talk about. Great group of guys here.
Old March 22, 2008, 09:06 PM   #1381
DJR

Quote:
I just picked up a Marlin Original Golden 39A. 45Guy
Waitin' on the weather hasn't helped the rest of us. Seems like every time I have a range opportunity it's either snowing or blowing. Today it's clear, sunny, and zero wind. Of course I had to work. If you can post a picture of your rifle, we all like to look at them even though they pretty much all look the same.

JustsayMo - Hard for me to think ahead to the next match when I haven't been able to turn anything in for this one. I will, it's just not coming together as quickly as I thought it would. As for the next one the barricade thing sounds interesting as well as a handgun side match.

DJR
Old March 22, 2008, 10:17 PM   #1382
CB900F

Fella's;

If someone needs a new outer magazine tube, 22 & 3/8" long, let me know. I bought one & it didn't fit my model 39, it's a 1964. I did file the groove for the locater pin, which is why I'm not going to attempt to return it.

$10.00 + S&H.

900F
Old March 24, 2008, 03:58 PM   #1383
NOTCH55

New Marlin 39 Owner

Help please just found one in an old musty basement , needs serious work where should I start, and how to I find the DOM ?
Old March 24, 2008, 08:15 PM   #1384
Black Majik

Thumbs up

I just dropped out of the 39a club. But congrats to Beetle Bailey for being the new owner and newest member to the club!
Old March 24, 2008, 08:24 PM   #1385
dfariswheel

Help please just found one in an old musty basement , needs serious work where should I start, and how to I find the DOM ?

For date of birth, check this site.
Use the second box down:

http://armscollectors.com/sn/marlinlookup.php

For repairs and cleaning< here's an owner's manual for field stripping:

http://stevespages.com/pdf/marlin_39a39m.pdf

Unless you're really handy with tools and have some good experience doing full disassembly, I don't recommend disassembling the 39-A, ESPECIALLY not the fore end assembly.
There are two screws on the fore end cap that seem to be almost impossible to get back in place without stripping them, even for a pro gunsmith.

Either take it to a gunsmith for work, or send it back to Marlin for a pro restoration.

If you need parts, post a request and I'll post a good number of parts sources.
Old March 25, 2008, 12:22 AM   #1386
Beetle Bailey

Quote:
I just dropped out of the 39a club. But congrats to Beetle Bailey for being the new owner and newest member to the club!
Thanks! While I won't be able to pick it up until April, I think I'll take this opportunity to announce that I am now the proud owner of a Marlin 39 TDS. Can't wait to shoot it (again ).
Old March 25, 2008, 04:31 AM   #1387
Nematocyst

Beetle, welcome in.
TDS, eh? Sweet.
Pics are desirable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Majik
I just dropped out of the 39a club.
Majik, I guess we didn't explain the rules
well enough upon your entry into the club.

You can check in anytime you want,
but you can never leave.

<Initiates righteous guitar riff>

Blades, Levers, Sticks & Wheels
Old March 25, 2008, 06:35 AM   #1388
ShakyJake

Nemo, Thats what happens when you neglect your model 39! She done went an' voodood you.
TaKe CaRe
Ted
Old March 25, 2008, 02:38 PM   #1389
hooperswish

Hello all,
I am thrilled to find this sight. I am the proud owner of a Marlin 39. Unfortunately, it is really rusted and needs to be refurbished. Mt dad gave it to me about 20 years ago, and I took it somewhat apart when it jammed. So for 20 years I have had a sack of parts, and just the other day took some navy jelly to the rust and took on the task of putting it back together. I got it back together except for two flat metal pieces that had holes in one end to be attached somewhere with screws. I used the schematic from Marlin, but still could not figure those two parts out. It will cock and fire once, maybe twice, but then I have to take the large frame screw apart again and wiggle everything around to get it to cock again.
SO: I need a rebluing, a good internal parts cleaning and some general advice...any thoughts? Would purchasing the gunsmithing dvd on the 39 supply me with the info I need? Will simply applying bluing from the little bottle suffice? Thanks for any imput.
My fondest memory of the gun was when I was 8 years old (1968) and my dad and I were camping in Mexico. A duck flew up and my dad nailed it with the Marlin. He then proceeded to wade chest deep into a small lake to retrieve that duck. By that evening we were having roast duck at the campfire!
Old March 25, 2008, 07:59 PM   #1390
dfariswheel

I have no idea what "two flat metal pieces" that would be.

Here's a larger exploded view, possibly you can ID them here:
http://www.stevespages.com/ipb-marlin-39a.html

As for bluing with a cold blue, that "usually" doesn't work out too well.
Colt blue is at it's best as a touch-up for small scratches and worn spots.
When you try to blue a large area you usually wind up with a streaked, sort of smoky blue-gray.
In any event, cold blue is not at all durable and can be rubbed off with a thumb.

It's better than nothing, but you'd be MUCH happier sending it off to be re-blued with a hot blue that's permanent.
Old March 25, 2008, 10:23 PM   #1391
JustsayMo

Hooperswish, WELCOME and thanks for joining us with your first post!

I have the 39 video from AGI. It has paid for itself many times over. It is a little dry but it's easy to follow and makes taking your 39 apart much easier.

Best of luck!
Old March 25, 2008, 10:25 PM   #1392
joe_kidd

dfariswheel, is that a schematic of the older Marlin 39's without the half-cock safety?
Old March 25, 2008, 10:44 PM   #1393
Slugless

Welcome to Notch and Hooper!

Hoop, you might take it apart, take a pic & post it here.

I've got the 39A disassembly/assembly manual, PM me if you need it. It's about 3.6 MB.
Old March 27, 2008, 03:15 PM   #1394
hooperswish

Series L = 1954

So mine turns out to have a manufacture date of 1954. Cool stuff. I plan on taking it in to get it professionally cleaned and reblued. Should be expensive. Thanks Slugless for the assembly file. I can't wait to get her fixed up and out for some plinking...
Old March 27, 2008, 09:18 PM   #1395
CB900F

Fella's;

I know that there are some here who don't believe in paper, and want to stamp out it's existance, but it's very valuable stuff. Here's an example: "Firearms Assembly/Disassembly, part III: Rimfire Rifles. Published by DBI Books Inc, authored by J.B. Woods. This is a "Gun Digest" book, & worth it's weight in gold. My edition is 1980.

This edition covers the Marlin 39 in detail. It also covers 36 other makes/models. Example: The highly esoteric & rarely seen Ruger 10/22, the Browning BL22, the Remington nylon 66, and the Winchester 9422.

My advice is to pass this up if ever seen & rely on internet based information exclusively.

900F
Old March 28, 2008, 08:30 PM   #1396
newenglander

I bought my brand new 39a in Riverton WY. I recalled it being 1969, but the serial number is 7134, so I guess it was actually '71. I was living in Salt Lake City at the time and I used it for plinking on the desert and for jackrabbit hunting. Its in cherry condition, and I probably haven't fired it in 15 years. I was considering selling at but I think I'll hang on to it for awhile, even though I'm 64 and my sons haven't expressed alot of interest in it.

edit: I guess my memory is still intact. I found the original tag, and the serial number is 69-7134.

Last edited by newenglander; March 28, 2008 at 08:35 PM. Reason: I located the actual serial number
Old March 30, 2008, 11:23 AM   #1397
newenglander

I have read thru some of the posts on this thread...perhaps this question has already been raised: What was the production ratio of carbines to mounties? I'm assuming the value of the mountie would be greater than a carbine of similar vintage and condition.
Old March 30, 2008, 03:36 PM   #1398
JustsayMo

Good question newenglander. I don't have an answer but I'd bet someone here knows.
Old March 30, 2008, 06:58 PM   #1399
Slugless

newenglander-

Ask over at www.rimfirecentral.com in the Marlin forum.

There's one guy who knows a lot about Marlin 39 production histories, I've seen him post production figures before IIRC.
Old March 30, 2008, 09:39 PM   #1400
Nematocyst

Just got a PM from a THR member asking about a dealer that wants $700 for
a new 39A claiming that prices are going up because it's about to be discontinued.

I responded that I think that's hogwash, but thought I'd doubled check.

What's the word on the street?

Blades, Levers, Sticks & Wheels