Quantcast
The Marlin 39 Club - Page 60 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Rifle Country

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old May 25, 2008, 04:58 AM   #1476
rugerfreak

Joined the club just today---saved a NIB one from its pawn shop prison---they handle mostly AR's---AK's---and Glocks.

My 39 had been languishing in a back corner un-noticed and unwanted for at least a year---even a thick layer of dust was on the muzzle of my new baby----got her home---cleaned her up and scoped her up already.

Leupold Rifleman 3x9x40---QRW rings and Boyt leather sling are all on it now.

Definitely a man sized rifle----I think this combo weighs more than my deer rifle.
Old May 25, 2008, 11:16 AM   #1477
ShadowChaser

Thumbs up

I picked my new Model 39A up Friday and I have to agree with Rugerfreak's comment, boy, is it heavy!
Having a couple of match grade rifles that weigh over ten pounds each, I ordered this 39A looking for a plinking gun that would be lighter and easier to carry in the woods. The Model 39A is definately that, and for 6 1/2 pounds its an amazingly solid feel to it. Kind of nice to have something made in America that is solid American quality, its not something readily found these days...
Old May 25, 2008, 02:17 PM   #1478
JustsayMo

Taking the 39 for a walk

You know life is good when you have the opportunity to take your 39 for a walk in the venue for which is was created. I had such an opportunity last Friday and I'm still grinning today.

With the magazine tube topped off (15 in my Mountie) and a pocket full of loose rounds I hiked into an area that looks promising for next year's hunting season. There wasn't a lot of deer there yet as the snow has just recently melted off but I was very happy to find some Elk sign. As the crow flies that is only 3 miles from our base camp and there are logging roads that should make it easier to get in there.

Anyway, the 39 carried very well even though the trails were overgrown from lack of use and I wasn't using my sling. I found a nice 'bowl' that made for some safe shooting out to 50 yards and proceeded disintegrate pine cones I had line up on a log and even shot the rimfire match target while I was there. I didn't shoot as well as I had hoped but I would guess that no one had as much fun as I was shooting theirs.

I can hardly wait until Grouse season next September! I'll make a point to get some pictures of those that the 39 puts on the table.

Oh and I packed all my spent brass out too...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg model 39 plinking.jpg (100.5 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg model 39 plinking 2.jpg (105.5 KB, 88 views)
Old May 25, 2008, 07:13 PM   #1479
DavidFagan

Dating a 39 starting with S (1925-1932?)

I see early on a place for dating a 39 but there's a big hole from 1906-1948 anyone have the date ranges for the S prefix which I believe was only from 1925-1932?

Thanks.

Last edited by DavidFagan; May 25, 2008 at 09:37 PM.
Old May 25, 2008, 08:04 PM   #1480
ShakyJake

In Its Element

Hi, Mo
Great Pics. Yea that really is 39 country. And after chatting with you this past few months, packing out your used brass would be a given, and probably your spent bullets, iffen you could find them. It is just the way real conservationists think and operate. Leave it a little better than you found it. Obliterating pine cones help distribute the seeds too.
A warm welcome to rugerfreak, ShadowChaser and DavidFagan. I know you will enjoy this forum. DavidFagan I am sure there is someone who will be by soon to help you with the date problem. In the meantime join in the fun with the postal matches. They are lots of fun and VERY informal.
TaKe CaRe
Ted
Old May 25, 2008, 09:22 PM   #1481
JustsayMo

Actually I felt a little under-gunned when I saw the signs warning there might be Grizzly in the area... Kinda wish I had my 1895 in 45-70 in a few of the areas where the visibility was less than 10 feet in any direction... Had I kicked up an ornery one I'm guessing the next guy up the trail would have found himself a nice 39A Mountie...

When I've been lucky enough to see them (coastal browns) in the wild - Nak Nek Alaska they never gave me a second look even though they were close enough that I could smell them. Very cool to see them close but I knew my place in the food chain very well in those moments... Impressive critters.
Old May 25, 2008, 10:54 PM   #1482
Nematocyst

Welcome in, David. Someone will be along shortly with an answer.
(I'm not knowledgeable about those things.)

Mo, I'm told the best way to avoid being griz lunch, aside from the obvious food in tent, mother/cub fax paus, is to avoid eye contact.

Blades, Levers, Sticks & Wheels
Old May 25, 2008, 11:12 PM   #1483
joe_kidd

Good news everyone! After 3 long months I have received a call this morning from the gun shop advising me that my BRAND NEW MARLIN GOLDEN 39A is ready for me to pick up!!!!!!

Unfortunately the scope they ordered a few days ago still hasn't arrived, but I will be taking the rifle home anyway, and then take it back to the shop to have the scope fitted when it arrives.

Pics to follow!!!
Old May 25, 2008, 11:24 PM   #1484
Nematocyst

Great news, Joe.

I understand your excitement.

Old May 26, 2008, 01:26 AM   #1485
JustsayMo

Joe, we expect a full range report with at least 3 different kinds of ammo. BEST of luck to you!
Old May 26, 2008, 06:22 AM   #1486
joe_kidd

Thanks Mo and Nem, would be delighted to give you the info as soon as I get a chance. Unfortunately that won't be for a few weeks given that I am going to work and coming home in the dark, and next weekend is fully booked up with training for my motorcycle course!

But, without further ado, here are some pics of my latest purchase, sans the Leupold VX-I 2-7x33 in gloss black.

Needless to say I am a very happy camper!
Old May 26, 2008, 09:00 AM   #1487
JustsayMo

Wow, she's a looker.
Old May 26, 2008, 12:19 PM   #1488
sadlsor

Suh-weet!!
Have fun in the MSF course; I was supposed to teach in a small town this weekend but not enough signed up to hold the class.
Bummer.
Old May 26, 2008, 02:31 PM   #1489
Mal H
Administrator

Congrats Joe! You just bought an heirloom.

I am very pleased to see Marlin is still putting beautiful wood on the new 39's.
Old May 26, 2008, 09:47 PM   #1490
joe_kidd

It does have some nice figuring on it indeed. I just wish the camera really showed what it looks like in real-life though, as it is a lot more beautiful in person!
Old May 27, 2008, 02:13 AM   #1491
Nematocyst

Here's an interesting challenge.

A new thread: Ok..maybe is a stupid thought...convince me why I shout get a .22 cal gun...

Why I shout get a .22?

I just don't have the energy for it tonight.

Old May 28, 2008, 10:19 AM   #1492
joe_kidd

Hmmmm haven't even had the chance to shoot the 39 yet, and I'm already wanting to order a 336SS.
Old May 28, 2008, 11:45 AM   #1493
JustsayMo

Joe, next thing you know you'll be wanting an 1894 in your favorite pistol caliber, that will lead you to a big bore 1895. Then of course you'll need variations of those and maybe a few oddball collectibles...

It happened to me and even minimalist Nem has succumb to the early stages of the disease. Be careful around PapaJohn, he's one of Marlin's best enablers.
Old May 30, 2008, 02:20 AM   #1494
Fingolfin

Wondering if someone here can help me. I'm looking at a reduced hammer spring replacement to lighten my 39A trigger. Wolff offers a straight body design and a barrel shaped one. Does it matter which I get? My 39A was made in 1981 I believe if that matters. Also how hard is the new spring to install? Thanks
Old May 30, 2008, 06:36 AM   #1495
joe_kidd

I have the barrel shaped one for mine that I bought from Brownells, I'm yet to fit it though. The barrel shape one was recommended by some of the more experienced members on this and the rimfire central boards, so I took up their advice.

Speaking of Marlin 39's, how about a pic or two of mine, now complete with a Leupold scope VX-I 2-7x33. Love the gloss finish.

Old May 30, 2008, 06:39 AM   #1496
Nematocyst

Fingolfin, somebody in here probably has your answer. Hang out.

Joe, fine looking gun. Beautiful stock.

Scope seems a tad high, though.
Thought about some shorter rings?
Or does that height just work for you?

Old May 30, 2008, 08:41 AM   #1497
joe_kidd

Funny that, I thought the same thing, but only after I posted the pics up!

It shoulders perfect though, I can't fault it. I tried it at the gun shop when I picked it up this afternoon, just to make sure. Plenty of room not to have to use the hammer offset spur either. I guess I can only go by feel, and my cheek is perfectly placed on the stock to see through the scope correctly and comfortably. The height of both the eyepiece and objective lens on mine in comparison with the 336W on the actual Marlin website looks pretty similar though. I think it also might have something to do with the thickness of the tube being a little thinner than some of the other scope.

To me it looks quite similar to Fast Frank's, when looking at those distances I mentioned and also bearing in mind I think Frank's scope is bigger than mine:

If I recall, Frank used Millett rings as well and had some issues with them. I'll see how mine goes (hopefully tomorrow) and let you guys know.

Also, this is ANGUSLINCOLNS:

Just out of interest, I notice that the base on mine seems to rest ever so slightly on the top of the received toward the front of the rifle. There doesn't seem to be any of the flex in the scope, and I've noticed others have their rings spaced the same distance as mine so hopefully it should be right. Eh...I'll try and stop stressing now and see what happens tomorrow.
Old May 30, 2008, 09:50 AM   #1498
JustsayMo

Mountie chronograph data

Rifle: Mid-1960's Model 39A Mountie, 20" barrel

Ammo - Average Velocity

CCI CB Long - 675 fps
Remington Sub Sonic - 992 fps
Aguila SE Sub-Sonic - 994 fps
Blazer 40gr LRN - 1203 fps (This ammo was purchased in the 70s)
CCI Mini Mag 40gr HP -1225 fps
Federal Champion 40gr RN -1228 fps
Federal 550 Bulk ammo, 37gr HP- 1254 fps
CCI Mini Mag 40g solid - 1257 fps

My rifle weighs 5.85 pounds (2,652 grams) empty on my postal scale.
Old May 31, 2008, 03:16 AM   #1499
joe_kidd

Well I got a good opportunity to shoot the 39 today. It was a beautiful, still, sunny day here and I put around 100 rounds through it. Absolutely no trouble at all with the scope / rings / base. Beautiful gun. One failure-to-fire very early on, tried again and it was fine.

This gun has impressive accuracy. I was shooting groups at 35 metres or so that were very similar to my CZ 452 American. Definitely more accurate than I was expecting, even having seen some of the results here. I'm thinking at this stage I am not going to do the rebounding hammer removal mod on it (I say this after having bought all the parts thinking I would do it straight away!). I used Winchester Subsonics for a bit and enjoyed it, then decided to go with some higher velocity Winchester Bushman to finish the session off - WOW! Such a big difference - the 39 becomes a mean weapon with that stuff, I can't wait to shoot some of the CCI high velocity stuff through it.

The 39 has such a great "feel" to it. As soon as I started shooting the higher velocity stuff, it dawned on me how solid it felt. Couple that with a nice puff of smoke exiting the barrel with the sun catching it in the right direction, the nice "recoil feel" of the rifle how it sits on your shoulder and in your hands, plus the classic lever action, and I know this will be my number one rifle. It also has a nice, healthy "CRACK!" when it fires, again, sounds a lot different to my CZ.

It has definitely felt like a long wait to get one of these - I ordered it back in February and as some of you know it only arrived the other day. I've been reading this thread for months in anticipation of getting the rifle. Now that I have received it I am extremely happy - it surpassed my expectations (which were very high), and this will be something that hopefully I will be handing down to my children for them to give to their children and so on. Thanks to all for advise etc and to the Marlin 39 Club for "convincing" me to buy this gun - I'm now a proud member of the Club!
Old June 1, 2008, 01:31 AM   #1500
zinj

RAAUUUGGHHH!

I'm an idiot. I assumed that the legs on the firing pin of my 39 stopped the pin from hitting the chamber face, like some other rimfires (my T/C comes to mind). I was wrong, and when I broke down the gun today a square piece of metal fell out. I searched for its source, until i found it was the tip of the firing pin. Further inspection revealed that I put a nice big burr in the top of the chamber, which some testing revealed prevents rounds from extracting.

All this a day before I was heading out to shoot (I suppose it could be worse though, seeing as I could have driven two hours to find the gun wouldn't fire or extract). Luckily I have the T/C to use, which just hammers home the aphorism, "Two is one, one is none."

The moral of the story:

THE MARLIN 39 IS NOT MEANT TO BE DRY FIRED!

"Hedonism is the illusion of freedom."