Quantcast
The Marlin 39 Club - Page 77 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Rifle Country

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old January 5, 2009, 01:04 PM   #1901
EAJ

Purchased my first Marlin Model Golden 39A .22 Cal. Rifle last week. If it lasts as long as my Glenfield Marlin Mod 60, which I purchased in 1968, Iíll be very pleased with it.

I received the Skinner brass rear peep sight that I ordered about a week ago based upon feedback in the forum. It had some scratches on it which appeared to occur during shipping. A little 400/600 grit paper, polish and 20 minutes and I had it looking extraordinary again. Looks great mounted on the 39A with the gold plated trigger.

Field stripped and cleaned, I sighted it in (elevation only) at the range without any difficulty and put 200 assorted rounds through it with only 1 FTF. Does NOT appear to be very finicky about what it eats. All in all it was an excellent first outing.

Old January 5, 2009, 07:24 PM   #1902
SGW42

Congrats EAJ.

My Skinner sight still had Tim's fingerprints on it. Nice to know it was not mass produced in this day and age. Can't imagine where those scratches came from but glad they cleared up.
Old January 5, 2009, 07:55 PM   #1903
Burke

johnmcl,

My 39A begins with AB. Sure you didn't make a mistake with the 1966 designation above?
Old January 5, 2009, 08:15 PM   #1904
johnmcl

Burke,

I did make a mistake. The '66 designator should be AB, and not what was posted. I'll correct that right away.

Respect and Honor

Last edited by johnmcl; January 6, 2009 at 07:55 AM. Reason: Lack of Grammar and Proof Reading Skills
Old January 5, 2009, 10:41 PM   #1905
Mal H
Administrator

Correction made to the list since it is past the 4 day edit time window.
Old January 6, 2009, 02:12 AM   #1906
EAJ

Thanks SGW42. Looking forward to my next trip to the range.

Edited for clarity - I spoke to Tim and he's investigating alternative packaging. I suspect the sight was scratched during shipping. It was wrapped in a small amount of bubble wrap and shipped within a small plain manila envelope however the bubble wrap did not appear to be sufficient to protect the sight or it was mishandled during shipping. I suggested using bubble wrap mailers which are fairly inexpensive, but provide an additional layer of protection if he plans to continue to wrap the sights individually in bubble wrap.

Last edited by EAJ; January 6, 2009 at 05:14 PM.
Old January 6, 2009, 08:45 AM   #1907
SGW42

Strange, I did in fact receive mine in a little tiny bubble wrap mailer (about two months ago). He must have run out and used something else in a pinch.
Old January 7, 2009, 08:29 PM   #1908
cjbecker

I just installed my marble's tang peep sight onto my 1951 marlin 39a.

There is nothing negative i can say about the sight. It was fast and easy

to install It is really easy to adjust both windage and elevation. It has

decreased my groups to half. Actually the only problem with them is

trying to pick the best aperature. Also i got 2 of the marble's catch 22

and it is a great little product. It holds50 .22lr and it is pretty quite to

carry. There is 1 problem, I sometimes do single loading and It is kinda

inconvenient to have 4 bullets in your hand or keep on taking one out of

the catch 22. But i Also use a little Indian pouch that I put bullets in, and

where it around my neck and let it sit on my hip.
Old January 9, 2009, 08:27 AM   #1909
dgb553

Sign me up for this link!!!!

dbg553
Old January 12, 2009, 10:39 AM   #1910
oldfella

39A Mounty Missing Rear Sight Assembly (?)

I found a reasonable priced 1972 Mounty with the rear buckhorn sight removed (missing) leaving the dovetail open, does this represent a problem; is this part readily available; is a drop-in part? I am new at this - this might be my second 39A. Thanks in advance.

Pete (The Oldfella)
Old January 12, 2009, 11:11 AM   #1911
johnmcl

Pete,

You're in good shape. You need three parts to completely replace the rear sight assembly: 1) Rear Sight Base, 2) Sight Elevator, and 3) Folding Sight. These parts are ready available. I'd look to Midway first.

If this gun already has another sight installed, you do not need to replace the entire sight assembly. Marble's makes a sight dovetail insert that gives a very finished look to the barrel. This part is also available at Midway.

As a last resort, the gun will shoot fine with the sight removed.

Let us know if you get the 39A....

Respect and Honor
Old January 12, 2009, 11:26 AM   #1912
oldfella

Thanks John - Good info; much appreciated.

Pete
Old January 13, 2009, 05:26 AM   #1913
Nematocyst

Lever action in .22?

You've got to be kidding.

Why don't you people get something modern like a 10/22.

Old January 13, 2009, 10:29 AM   #1914
oldfella

39A Bullseye Replacement (?)

My "new" 39A came with the "Bullseye" missing. Marlin was kind enough to send me a replacement (free!). this little jewel needs to be cut down, as it's about twice the length needed. My question is, does the bullseye need to be shaped to conform to the curvature of the stock... if so, how is the best way of doing it without damaging the stock - other that "very carefully". Thanks in advance.

Pete
Old January 13, 2009, 11:31 AM   #1915
T750

Bullseye

Just curious, when did Marlin do away with the bullseye? My new (Christmas present this year) 39A doesn't have one.
Old January 13, 2009, 11:38 AM   #1916
oldfella

No bullseye? - Interesting: "It's Marlin's Trademark", I was recently told by a Marlin's own customer service rep.

Pete
Old January 13, 2009, 12:21 PM   #1917
dgb553

oldfella

For a replacement sight, try Buffalo Arms Co. They carry a wide varity sights from Marble Arms. Marble been around for a log time and you can find their buckhorn sights on the old 97 to the 1970 Century Limited edition. They also make a folding sight too! I've ordered from them and they have fast service.

I put a # 67 Long Semi-Buckhorn on my 1954 39A.

Here's the LINK.
Old January 13, 2009, 12:35 PM   #1918
oldfella

Thanks for the heads-up on the Buffalo Arms Co. website - good to know.

Pete
Old January 13, 2009, 06:51 PM   #1919
dfariswheel

oldfella:

The Marlin "Target" insert does need to be contoured to match the stock.

To protect the stock, wrap some electrical or other less-sticky tape on the stock to act as guards to prevent damaging the stock finish.

With extra layers of tape on, carefully file the insert until it's close, then wrap finer sand paper around a file and use it to take the insert down as close as you can.

Then, use very fine sand paper to polish the medallion to a slight shine.
Replace the tape every time you cut it with the file or sand paper.
Old January 13, 2009, 06:58 PM   #1920
oldfella

Thanks dfariswheel - That's exactly the information I wanted. It is good to hear from you, I enjoy your knowledgeable and informative posts. Regards.

Pete (The Oldfella)
Old January 13, 2009, 07:06 PM   #1921
logjam

No better .22 ever made. Mine cost $136 in 1977. Then all of a sudden they became expensive.

I put a peep sight on mine. The are accurate and have a man's feel. Mine is one of my very favorite guns.
Old January 13, 2009, 07:52 PM   #1922
SGW42

Quote:
Just curious, when did Marlin do away with the bullseye? My new (Christmas present this year) 39A doesn't have one.
Long story short, at some point last year the factory decided not to put them in anymore because apparently it is a small PITA to put them in and caused QC problems.

Then there was a small outcry about it among the Marlin owners communities, and letters were written, etc. Eventually the head Remington dude in charge of Marlin responded and went to check it out, and asked that they begin putting them in again. And so they did.

I think people originally believed them to be Marlin guns produced under Remington but apparently the factory decided to stop before Remington took control. Regardless, they're going back in. Don't know how long they were making like that or how many guns they let out the door.
Old January 13, 2009, 08:46 PM   #1923
oldfella

Interesting story - The power of the consumer is alive and well; thanks for posting it.

Pete
Old January 13, 2009, 09:24 PM   #1924
T750

Bullseye

Thanks for the info SGW42, that is interesting. Maybe that will make mine (without the bullseye) a little more collectable in 50 or 60 years, but I can't help feeling a little short changed.
Old January 13, 2009, 09:29 PM   #1925
oldfella

T750 - Of course you can always drill the hole yourself and ask Marlin for a free bullseye.

Pete