Quantcast
The Marlin 39 Club - Page 91 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Rifle Country

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old July 10, 2009, 09:16 AM   #2251
CB900F

Warner;

The model 39TDS bag was made by Allen. It's lightly padded, has two internal sleeves for the barrel/stock when taken down. The exterior is black & made out of what was called "ballistic nylon". The screened on logo is in yellow. There are a pair of soft carry straps for transportation.

In and of itself, the bag is not worth a whole lot of money. As you asked, it's probably a $15 to $25.00 bag when considered by itself. However, as an integral part of the "Take Down System", it's got a collecter's value in excess of it's intrinsic worth. The parts of the system were the gun, the bag, and the blue plastic action keeper. When separated, the gun fits into the two internal sleeves of the bag. The action keeper was to keep the internals aligned for easy reassembly.

It's my contention that the blue plastic action keepers were: A. Universely lost within 15 minutes of the gun's first takedown. B. Coveted by aliens for some unfathomable reason & abducted immediately after seeing the light of day. Or C. Were only a cruel myth of the Marlin marketing department and never existed in the first place.

I've even asked on this thread for somebody, anybody, to supply so much as a picture of an actual blue plastic keeper. Hasn't happened. Do you think it's a coincidence that once all the blue plastic keepers disappeared, the UFO's haven't been seen anymore?

900F
Old July 10, 2009, 03:40 PM   #2252
Warner

Hey, thanks guys.

That's some stuff I never knew about this variation.

W
Old July 11, 2009, 11:25 PM   #2253
mrdo1

Thumbs up New Member

Picked up my 39a this afternoon, by the serial # it was made in 1954, rifle looks almost new, just a few dings in the stock. Think I may have a mountie, the stock is straight, not pistol grip, and the barrel length is 20".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2746.JPG (547.2 KB, 103 views)
Old July 12, 2009, 09:07 AM   #2254
CB900F

Mrdo1;

Yup, that's a Mountie. Check to see if the barrel is marked "micro-groove", your's was built right around the time that that feature was introduced.

900F
Old July 12, 2009, 04:36 PM   #2255
mrdo1

Barrel

CB,
Thank you for the confirmation, the barrel does have micro groove on it, hope to shoot this soon.
Old July 16, 2009, 08:42 PM   #2256
oldfella

Welcome to the club mrdo1 - you're going to love your Mountie, I do.

Pete

Last edited by oldfella; July 16, 2009 at 09:24 PM.
Old July 16, 2009, 09:20 PM   #2257
TCB in TN

Quote:
Welcome to the club mrdo1 - you'll going to love your Mountie, I do.
+1 Love both my Mountie's and the other 39a that my oldest son took away from me!

If you can't do something smart ........ do something right!

There are only 2 people in this world I trust and you ain't one of'em!
Old July 17, 2009, 12:52 AM   #2258
shoot

New Marlin Story

Hi Marlin 39 Club,
After a lot of research on various 22's I chose the 39A. It's brand new but a 2007 edition that's been sitting on the store rack for two years. It was a lot more comfortable to hold than everything else and it seemed a lot more rugged also. It reminded me of something from the past and then when I found out the same basic rifle has been made since 1891 I was hooked. It looks good and must be fairly good if they've been cranking them out for over 100 years.
I took it to the range last weekend and it shoots very accurately. Then I had the FTE problem when I switched from CCI mini mags to Winchester Xpert lead ammo. I had to use my knife blade to get the empty shells out of chamber too many times. I'm now following the threads by "Armed Bear" about modifying the extractor and other possibilities. Before I change anything I'll just shoot CCI Mini Mags.
I checked some unfired shell casings with a micrometer and the CCI's are .224" whereas the Winchester's are .225-.226".
Old July 17, 2009, 01:08 AM   #2259
Nematocyst

Mrdo and Shoot, welcome to the club and THR. We're glad you're here.

Mrdo, congrats on the mountie. I'm about to cut my 39A down to mountie length (maybe even shorter, to 18"). I just don't want 24" of barrel on it. Too long for my use. Keep us posted on how it shoots.

Shoot, sorry to hear of the FTE. I haven't had that problem, but did have FTF (fire). Gunsmith checked it out, blamed the CCI ammo I had been using. He shot a box each of Remington and Federal with no problems. Interesting that the casings are a bit different, even though 0.002 is pretty small. Keep us posted.

Also intrigued that it had been sitting on the shelf that long. Good grief, Charlie Brown: do the people around there not understand what a 39A is? Over here, it'd be gone in a month!

Blades, Levers, Sticks & Wheels
Old July 18, 2009, 09:12 AM   #2260
Rollis R. Karvellis

[Also intrigued that it had been sitting on the shelf that long. Good grief, Charlie Brown: do the people around there not understand what a 39A is? Over here, it'd be gone in a month!] Nem, that doesn't surprise me, the one I, bought sat on my dealer's shelf for sevrale years, before I bought it. The one that they replaced it with sat for about 3 years before it moved. Lever guns just don't move as fast around here.
Old July 18, 2009, 09:35 AM   #2261
tubeshooter

It goes without saying that it's a great gun - but at today's prices, the casually interested probably won't make the buy. You have to really want one.

Congrats and welcome to the new club members!
Old July 18, 2009, 08:30 PM   #2262
Nematocyst

Rollis, this is interesting news.

Curious: is "around here" in an urban area or in the country (what ever that means any more).

Back east, south ... ?

I'm curious about how locale affects whether people are attracted to levers. (Guessing it does.)

Blades, Levers, Sticks & Wheels
Old July 19, 2009, 01:53 PM   #2263
shoot

New Marlin Story(cont.)

Before I tried out my new rifle, I decided to break it down for cleaning. It was sure hard to get apart the first time per the directions in the manual. I proceeded to clean it with several passes of Hoppe's No. 9. The attache picture shows the patches for each pass through the barrel. The first dirty patch was saturated with a very black and gritty substance. The manual does say the sights are adjusted by test firing the rifle at the factory but this was a lot dirtier than I expected.
After firing a couple hundred rounds through it after this and then cleaning it again, it wasn't nearly this dirty. It came apart and went together a lot easier this time also. I also made a special bit for the takedown screw out of some spare micarta I have. It fits tight enough to stay in the slot and doesn't mar the metal screw. I almost couldn't loosen it the first time also.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Marlin3.jpg (435.6 KB, 33 views)
Old July 19, 2009, 02:09 PM   #2264
Gunfighter123

Sign me up as a member --- here's my 1897 Century Unlimited;
Old July 19, 2009, 04:38 PM   #2265
Kurt

That takedown 39 of a few posts ago is coming due on Gunbroker real soon. It's really sweet and I'm broke. Nobody "do the math" right now, OK?
Old July 21, 2009, 10:57 AM   #2266
trueseeker76

MrDO1 "Picked up my 39a this afternoon, by the serial # it was made in 1954, rifle looks almost new, just a few dings in the stock. Think I may have a mountie, the stock is straight, not pistol grip, and the barrel length is 20". "

That is the exact gun I have. I love it.
Old July 21, 2009, 02:47 PM   #2267
Prairie Planter

Johnmcl,
Thanks for the info and sorry for my late response. I've been away from a computer. Anyway, my Marlin 22 is a simple Model 39, not 39A that the chart gives info about. The chart info does say that Model 39s are hard to date. My rifle does have an octagonal barrel.

Also, I passed through Cody, WY, stopped at the Buffalo Bill Historical Center, and saw a version of my rifle in the Marlin collection of the Cody Firearms Museum. I wasn't able to find out much other than my gun probably is pre-1932.

Last edited by Prairie Planter; July 21, 2009 at 02:54 PM.
Old July 21, 2009, 06:03 PM   #2268
mrdo1

True,
Went shooting last Friday, shot the mountie and a new Henry h001T, both shot well, my wife shot both and hit hit the target, we shot standing at about 25 to 30 yards, need to go with my son to the local shooting range and BR shoot.
Very pleased with how both rifles performed.
Old July 25, 2009, 01:01 PM   #2269
Rollis R. Karvellis

Nem, the area I'm in is rural. I, live in town but sometime's I, have to chase the naboir's cows back into there pasture. The house is about 50 miles from Wheeling W.Va. 100 from Pittsburg, and about 100 from Columbus. Since the current mistake in D.C. took over from the previous mistake, EBR's of just about any flavor move preaty well.
As far as deer hunting, inline muzzuloader's and 12ga. slug gun's followed by handguns, rifle's are not allowed. Bolt gun's of the tactical/varmit variaty are the standerd now for any kind of varmit hunting. My opinon is that since you can't hunt deer with a center fire rifle, and most of the varmit hunting will be long range, the less accurit lever action (real or percived) lose's out to bolt's and semi's. As far as .22's go a qulity gun like a 39a is ignord becuse WHO IN THERE RIGHT MIND WOULD PAY $400.00 FOR A 22! Let me know if there is any more question's this is an interesting line of thought.
Old July 27, 2009, 10:01 AM   #2270
Kolos

Let Me in

Last edited by Kolos; July 31, 2009 at 09:47 AM.
Old July 27, 2009, 10:13 AM   #2271
Carl N. Brown

Took my Marlin 39 Mountie (with Weaver V22 7/8" 'scope) to the mountain Saturday. Loaded up with .22 shorts (twenty-one rounds in the magazine) and plinked cans, re-checked the zero with long rifles (fifteen rounds in the magazine) and generally had a great time. (My son and I met my uncle there, and my cousin and two friends showed up and we spent the day target practicing, ATVing, swatting mosquitoes and barbequing burgers. I have to blame (credit) this thread with reminding me I hadn't had my Mountie out in awhile.)
Old July 29, 2009, 07:41 PM   #2272
jwmtx

Praire Planter

Read post # 2152. It has information about your 39.
James
Old August 4, 2009, 08:45 PM   #2273
oldfella

Trade Proposition

I am interested in trading my Mountie (SN 68109533) for a good quality semi-auto .22 rifle. I've had this rifle for about 7/8 months, have taken her to the range twice, to sight my scope. So far it has functioned flawlessly. I'd be interested in a face-to-face trade in Middle Tennessee (Tullahoma or Manchester) - would consider selling it only if I can find no trades. Thanks.

Pete
Old August 5, 2009, 08:51 AM   #2274
CB900F

Oldfella;

Would a Ruger 10/22 Deluxe with Volquartsen hammer & extended magazine release, interest you? Oh, it's got a Sightron 3-9X rimfire on it mounted in base rings, not the funky sheet metal rail adapter. The Deluxe has the walnut stock, rubber butt pad and slings studs.

Problem is, I'm in middle Montana, not Tennessee.

900F
Old August 5, 2009, 09:24 AM   #2275
oldfella

PM sent. Thanks.

Pete