Quantcast
The Marlin 39 Club - Page 93 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Rifle Country

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old August 15, 2009, 10:34 PM   #2301
ThePants

Hello all! I'm new to these forums and this particular thread is actually what lead me here. I hope someone can help me here, either I'm confused or my family has their facts a bit wrong. I inherited my grandpa's first rifle, his Marlin Mod. 39. I beautiful little rifle in great shape. They all tell me it was his first rifle that he'd had since he was a boy. I was looking up the serial number and it told me 1958-1959... he was a WWII vet... so either I'm entering the wrong number in the wrong search, or they have their facts wrong.

The details: Under the lever is what I am assuming is the serial number S2904, behind the hammer is written "Marlin MOD 39", a capital letter "D" is stamped underneath the hammer, you can see this when the hammer is raised, and it has an octagon barrel (I was told the barrel was originally red white and blue, but no traces of this can be seen today). It is my prized rifle mainly because of its legacy, but I would like to know more about it... I've been searching everywhere and can't find anything for certain, except the S in the serial means it's made in 1958-1959, which goes against everything I've ever been told. (of course the some of the senior members of my family do honor the age old southern tradition of raising ones stature through exaggeration)
Old August 15, 2009, 10:53 PM   #2302
tubeshooter

I could be wrong - but it sounds like you have a model 39 (not 39A), which were made from 1922 to 1936.

Welcome to the club!

[EDIT: You may want to avoid shooting HV ammo in it and stick to standard velocity or lower. Others more knowledgeable may be able to chime in and tell you for sure.]
Old August 15, 2009, 11:28 PM   #2303
ThePants

Thanks

Thanks, if I ever shoot it I will only use subsonic for certain. Thanks for the info too, that sounds right. Glad to be part of the club!
Old August 16, 2009, 01:58 AM   #2304
Nematocyst

Pants, welcome to the club. We really like having classic older guns around. Any chance for some pics? Please? Pretty please? We can even help you get them up if you can find a way to get some digital images made of it.

SGW and Jake, thanks for the suggestion re the scope mount screws makes good sense. I'll either check them tonight before bed or first thing tomorrow and let you know. I hope it's that simple and not that I'm just the world's worst shot.

Blades, Levers, Sticks & Wheels
Old August 16, 2009, 11:25 AM   #2305
JustsayMo

Nem, glad to hear you got some trigger time. Hopefully you'll get the chance to correct the problem.

My Mountie has been getting some action this summer. Most recently at the "Cowboy Silhouette" matches. VERY fun and challenging, especially if you have aging eyes - those irons seem to get tougher to see all the time...

My Mountie and Pard's 70's vintage 39A - he slimmed the forestock himself. Looks nice.

What better way to spend a day than shooting and riding? I'm sure in some parts of the country this would generate some 911 calls but I'm glad there are still places to ride you bike with a rifle on the back and not just the bad guys have guns.

The Model 39 is the most popular choice in the rimfire class.
Old August 16, 2009, 11:33 AM   #2306
Mal H
Administrator

ThePants - first of all, welcome to THR and "The Club"!

Your relatives weren't fibbin' to you. You have an old model 39 and a relatively valuable one at that depending a lot on the condition of it (well over $1,000 even in fair to good condition).

Unlike the 'S' prefix for serialization purposes, the S in your serial number signifies that it was a "Superior" grade 39 - better wood, etc. The octagon barrel alone says it isn't from the 1958 era, but much earlier (1958 serial numbers would be fairly high). With as low a number as 2904, I would guesstimate that it was made somewhere around 1923 to 1924.
Old August 16, 2009, 11:39 AM   #2307
Rollis R. Karvellis

(I hope it's that simple and not that I'm just the world's worst shot.) Nem, you can't be the world wost shot, you should of seen me yesterday with scoped AR's. MO is that your rifle rack? Do you have any close up shot's of it? Thanks
Old August 16, 2009, 12:04 PM   #2308
bsaride

I have a Marlin 39 (1927), and yes the bolt can break on them, I only use STANDARD velocity ammo in mine and still had it break. No damage other than the bolt. The front of the bolt stayed in the battery position at the barrel and the rest came back with the lever. I haven't fixed it yet but I am setting up a reloading/gun repair bench soon and it is at the front of my list.
Old August 16, 2009, 11:07 PM   #2309
JustsayMo

Rollis, My pard makes those stands and shooting sticks and a bunch of other cool stuff. I'll try to get some more pics next month.

Mo
Old August 17, 2009, 12:03 PM   #2310
Rollis R. Karvellis

Thanks, that would be great.
Old August 17, 2009, 11:33 PM   #2311
ThePants

Well, since you said pretty please ok, here are some photos of my Marlin 39. Thanks guys for the help, this is the prize of my collection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mod39800.jpg (165.8 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg marlin800.jpg (130.8 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg butt800.jpg (159.8 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg octagon800.jpg (136.8 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg grip800.jpg (147.4 KB, 51 views)
Old August 18, 2009, 02:43 AM   #2312
Nematocyst

Pants, thanks. That's really a beauty. I feel honored just looking at it, thinking where it's been for all those years.

Amazingly good shape for so old.

Old August 18, 2009, 11:36 AM   #2313
Furncliff

How smooth is you Marlin 39?

I purchased a 1973 model Mountie recently. It's got some problems. Among them is a lever action that feels jerky and rough. The other two levers I own are a M1894c and a BL22. They are nothing like this.

This rifle also has rust on the barrel and a ftf issue that I can't resolve. I'm toying with sending to Marlin for a "make over" (gotta be a TV show in there somewhere). Any one done this?
Old August 18, 2009, 12:49 PM   #2314
ShakyJake

Hi Mo,
Sure is a beautiful rifle. Enjoy those Iron Horses and the great outdoors. Only problem would be the greater expense to feed.. Looking at those barrels I'm wondering if the targets have you a bit out gunned.
TaKe CaRe
Ted
Old August 18, 2009, 01:52 PM   #2315
Nematocyst

Furncliff, I trust you'll find some answers to your questions here.

I'll let others more knowledgable about Mounties answer most, but please describe the ftf issue.
Failure to feed or failure to fire? Specifics? Frequency? Ammo used?

(I'm asking in part because I'm dealing with a ft fire issue with my 39A that may be ammo related.)

Old August 18, 2009, 06:07 PM   #2316
Furncliff

Sure thing. The first 15 rounds after unpack-age and cleaning the rifle functioned fine. Thereafter I've had a failure that most accurately could be described as failure to chamber. The round is being brought up by the carrier, but instead of rising all the way to the chamber mouth, the nose of the round jams into the action just below the chamber mouth. This happens with all ammo, all the time... although I believe it will function on the very first round at times. I can unjam it by flipping the rifle upside down and shaking, the round is dropped to the roof of the action and can be chambered from there. I can make the thing work about 75% of the time by tilting the rifle 45% left while operating the lever.

The action has been treated to several serious cleanings. I oiled it, no better results, removed the oil, greased it lightly, same thing. Cleaned the grease and ran it dry. No joy.

I have never owned a 39 before so I don't know how the lever action would feel if it were up to snuff. In comparison to my 1894 and BL22 the action feels jerky and rough.
Old August 19, 2009, 01:34 AM   #2317
Mal H
Administrator

Furncliff, about the only thing that would cause the shell lifter to fail to raise the shell to the proper height would be the spring loaded cam follower, for lack of a better description. In this case the lever itself is the cam.

Break down the rifle and examine the butt end of it. The nib of the cam follower is in the center of what looks like 3 concentric circles. You should be able to push the center nib in with your fingernail, but it should have good tension on it. Watch the action of the lifter as you operate the lever. The follower nib rides under the lever, then pops back out as the lever is lifted to the closed position. The lifter should raise to the correct height as the nib rides along the lever and eventually over the top of the step in it. It should be fairly obvious how the correct action should look. If the nib retracts or doesn't make it all the way to the top of the step, you have the area of your problem identified. Be sure the screw holding the lifter in place is tight (but not too tight, IOW, don't break it trying to tighten it). Check the pivot screw for the lever as well.
Old August 19, 2009, 01:49 AM   #2318
Nematocyst

Furn, Mal offers good advice there. He knows more than I do (probably by far) about technical details of the insides.

I'll add another suggestion that, in addition to what he suggests, may improve feed.

This solved a similar feed problem on my (former) 1894C (now living with a friend who wanted it).

My suggestion: rack it fast.

I was racking the action too slowly. It would hang 2 of 3 times.

I read somewhere on THR (or maybe MoF) to rack it quickly. Immediately solved the problem.

As a result, I rack my 39 with some speed. Not vehemently, but I not slowly either.

Never had a minutes problem with hangs.

Now, I wish I had an answer that simple to my failure to fire issue.

My smith says don't use CCI, but Remington or Federal
(or was it Winchester? I've got it recorded.)

Keep us posted.

Old August 19, 2009, 02:02 AM   #2319
Ballistic Mule

I've got a 39 Century ltd. and it's action is about as smooth as a bag of walnuts! A smith up in Silex said he could smooth it up for $65.00. Is this a good price? The gun never fails to fire and I've had it about 17 years and it's always been rough. It's my 22 short rifle and it functions a little better w/ them. Any advice on fixing the action my self would be great.

Does this mean I'm in the club? I'm new to these computers and never really looked into posting photos just yet. Thanks fellas.
Old August 19, 2009, 02:10 AM   #2320
Nematocyst

Quote:
Does this mean I'm in the club?
Yup.

Welcome in, Mule.

That's a new name for me: 39 Century. What distinguishes that from 39A?

And have you, by chance, fired CCI Minimags in it?

If so, no ftf issues there, either?

Old August 19, 2009, 01:18 PM   #2321
Furncliff

Mal H, many thanks for your suggestions. I couldn't tell by working the action what if anything was wrong. I disassembled the carrier assy. and found the only part in the action with significant wear... the nub you spoke of. Midway has the carrier in stock. Thanks again.

Tom
Old August 19, 2009, 01:20 PM   #2322
Furncliff

What do you use for peep type sights on your 39A. My rear leaf sight is rusted bad and will have to come off.

I'm looking at the Skinner and Williams (FP?).

Tom

Williams

http://skinnersights.com/

Last edited by Furncliff; August 19, 2009 at 09:46 PM.
Old August 19, 2009, 04:52 PM   #2323
Mal H
Administrator

That picture looks like the Williams peep for the 39A. I have one on my 39A and am very satisfied with it. It's solid and yet easy to adjust.

As for the worn out part, that rifle must have had a bunch of ammo through it before you got it. That's not a negative, they can fire millions of rounds without any serious problems. But, that particular part is made of high strength steel and shouldn't wear out very fast. If it's really worn, the new one should solve your FTL problem. (FTL = failure to lift )
Old August 19, 2009, 09:43 PM   #2324
Furncliff

Once I got the assembly out of the action and popped that nub out it was obvious that it had even more wear than I first suspected. Cracks and deep gouges front and back. It was a bit strange to see that much wear when there wasn't anything like that any where else.
Old August 20, 2009, 01:58 AM   #2325
Ballistic Mule

"That's a new name for me: 39 Century. What distinguishes that from 39A?"

The Century is the model that celabrates 100 years of production,it's has
a hexagon barrel,brass buttplate,and medallion on the receiver.

Before anyone starts ranting about shooting a 100 year ltd. when I got the gun it had some ring dings and very minor pitting along the top of the barrel,besides I fire ALL 20 of the guns I own,they are pretty much field grade anyway. There's only a few that stay home more than go out,plus I got it for $150.00...GOTTA LOVE THAT!

I've fired every .22 round s. l. lr. it needs action work. Just wonder what a fair price would be?