Quantcast
Art's Grammaw, Revisited - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Social Situations > Legal

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old April 17, 2007, 11:55 PM   #1
Art Eatman
Administrator

Art's Grammaw, Revisited

Lotsa relatively new folks here who maybe haven't figured out the "Grammaw" deal.

This website is to promote the responsible use of firearms. It's also to get the word out that we gunbugs are grownups. Responsible people. Normal, even. We're not a bunch of unshaven, unshowered, dirty clothes and fingernails weirdlies.

And part of that derives from the language we use here, and our behavior toward one another.

Don't use language that would have your grandmother bringing out the soap to wash your mouth out. Simple as that. Don't go insulting folks; she doesn't like that either.

Now, my preference in moderating is to keep it friendly and use as light a touch as an ornery old guy can. I'd rather make a joke of something than have a hissy fit. So, "Grammaw was here" is a mild warning that somebody forgot their manners.

If you're not a grownup, fake it. Act like one, anyway. Hey, I've been doin' that for years and years! "Getting bigger is mandatory; growing up is optional." Fake it.

I know it's cruel of me to ask some folks to actually think before hitting the "Post this nonsense" button. Regardless, ask yourself if your post honors or dishonors this website. After all, you're an ambassador to the world out there...

, Art
Old April 28, 2007, 04:21 PM   #2
john paul

one of my favorite lines has always been "act like a grownup!"
Old April 28, 2007, 11:12 PM   #3
SMMAssociates

Art:

Intelligent and insightful idea....

It'll never work .

Regards,

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
Old April 30, 2007, 01:29 AM   #4
davhina

We always try not to hack off Grammaw. Soap tastes awful.
Old May 1, 2007, 06:18 PM   #5
LynnKCircle

There's one question I ask everyone on their birthdays, "Are you now old enough to know better?" (It's more fun to ask that when the birthday boy is past 65!)
Old May 1, 2007, 09:53 PM   #6
Brian Williams
Moderator Emeritus

SMMAssociates
Quote:
Art:

It'll never work .

Regards,
Yes it will work and we expect you to be one of the folks to help enforce it from now on, You throw grenades at us, we will calmly pick them up and hand them back to you and tell you to throw them at those who are not following requested instructions.
Old May 1, 2007, 10:10 PM   #7
ReadyontheRight

Location: Minnesota - nine months of ice and snow...three months of tough sledding.
Quote:
Art:

It'll never work .

Regards,
Been working for ... what 5 years now?

Don't post what you wouldn't say in front of Art's Grammaw.

Respectful, intelligent discussion ... on the most important human issue ever.
"Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud, and the rifle is the queen of personal weapons. The possession of a good rifle, as well as the skill to use it well, truly makes a man the monarch of all he surveys." -Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle-
Old May 1, 2007, 11:32 PM   #8
SMMAssociates

Talking

(Hmm.... I did stick a smilie in there....)

Mea Culpa.... I couldn't resist zinging Art....

As to the rest, absolutely.... This is "The High Road" after all....

Regards,

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
Old May 3, 2007, 09:41 PM   #9
Art Eatman
Administrator

Zing me? Hey, for twenty years I wuz married to a lady who even her friends called, "Ol' Acid Tongue".

The world is full of amachoors.

, Art
Old June 10, 2007, 03:08 AM   #10
Feanaro

You don't know my grandmother, do you? She was almost thrown in jail for cursing out a neighbor who was bothering her. At the trial, the weasel... defendant's testifimony went something like this: "well, she said --- ---- you ----ing *-**." She took the stand and said "I didn't call him any of those things. I said 'you @%& %&*&#&^, you haven't got any *$#&!'"

Someone once tried to steal her purse. She beat 'im with it. I'll have to pretend to have a different grandmother on here.
Old June 20, 2007, 12:54 PM   #11
foghornl

One question, Art:

Does Grammaw still pack her own 'Hickory Switch', or does she makes folks cut a switch from the tree themselves????
Old June 25, 2007, 11:56 AM   #12
Art Eatman
Administrator

I do the cuttin'; hers are a bit on the heavy side. And lately, she's been eye-balling the lye soap...

Art
Old June 25, 2007, 12:11 PM   #13
Biker

I ate more than my share of Ivory Soap as a kid. You never get used to it...

Biker

Here's to cheating, stealing, fighting and drinking. If you cheat, may it be a death; if you steal, may it be a heart; if you fight, may it be for your Brother; and if you drink, may it be with me.

"Bring me my broadsword and clear understanding..."
Ian Anderson
Old July 1, 2007, 11:56 PM   #14
HiroProX

Given Art's location I'd better be on better than my best behavior. My mom used to live in Terlingua in the 80s.
Old July 2, 2007, 12:02 AM   #15
igpoobah

My gramma spent a few nights in jail; once for punching an IRS agent and another time for stabbing an IRS agent with a pen. Gotta love gramma! This was all after she was retired. Regular pistol.
Coronach said: Remember, if the M16 is in the hands of a soldier, it is a jammomatic pile of steaming excrement that is likely not to function, but if its semi-auto clone is in the hands of a civilian it is a destruction-dealing death ray sprayer that can kill an entire parking lot full of toddlers and soccer moms before Diane Feinstein can say "shoot from the hip."
Old July 6, 2007, 12:12 PM   #16
USMC - Retired

Happy Birthday Art!
GeorgiaCarry.org Member
Old July 21, 2007, 06:50 PM   #17
shooter_tx

Quote:
I know it's cruel of me to ask some folks to actually think before hitting the "Post this nonsense" button. Regardless, ask yourself if your post honors or dishonors this website. After all, you're an ambassador to the world out there...
Good point. A fella on another site once said:
Quote:
We are all ambassadors of the bullet and if you don't play the part, you strengthen the stereotype and weaken us all.
I've tried to always remember that.
Old July 30, 2007, 09:50 AM   #18
bakert

It's pretty easy to say things on the spur of the moment that are not appropriate without thinking, but one has to think at least a bit to type something out and then post it so there's really not much reason to get miffed if your wrist gets slapped or your thread gets closed. Just another old guy's opinion.
Old September 11, 2007, 08:19 PM   #19
cnorman18

high standards are essential

My grandmother was a sharecropper who dipped snuff, belched like a Sumo wrestler, and spoke worse English than Granny Clampett; but she wouldn't abide foul language. Ivory soap? Oh, yeah.

Antis do read this forum. Every time we post respectful, well-reasoned and well-stated material, we deprive them of ammunition and frustrate their efforts to stereotype us. Every time we post foulmouthed, phony-macho chest-pounding tripe, we help THEIR cause, not ours.

Play Rambo somewhere else. WE take this issue seriously.

"Arms are the only true badge of liberty. The possession of arms is the distinction of a free man from a slave."
-- Andrew Fletcher, 1698
Old September 20, 2007, 09:36 PM   #20
John Gault

Grandma Art, may I please have a cookie?

Thank you, Ma'am. Do you need any chores done? I'd be happy to oblige.

Yes Ma'am, my homework is done. Sure, right over here? My pleasure, Ma'am. A dime? Oh, no Ma'am, I don't want your money. Thank you kindly, but truely I just want to be a help.

This is NOT tongue-in-cheek. This is how I DEMAND my children communicate to adults. It is VERY reasonable that the Mods DEMAND we do the same, after all we are adults. We have learned better, right? Rants always fail. Rants expose weakness. Rants are based in emotion, not fact. You can not defend an emotion. You arm yourself with facts, not emotion.

We are here to learn to defend facts. There are many, many very incredibly smart people here that want to arm us with terrific facts. Listen to them. Learn from them. One rant and your credability is GONE.

Grandma, I'm all done with that chore. Is there anything else I can do for you? No? Well, God Bless, Ma'am, and I'll see you tomorrow morning.

"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
Old February 24, 2008, 05:16 PM   #21
dvcrsn

Art--from the sound of it--your granny was a southerner (like both of mine)--very charming--but very capable of smiling while removing the most tender of family assets if you messed up
Old February 27, 2008, 07:50 PM   #22
bikerdoc

my grandma always said "There are two things you cant be, dirty or misbehaved" she made sure our clothes, body, and behavior was always clean.
I didnt have too much trouble with the clothes or body but sometimes the behavior, especialy verbal, got me a good butt kicking. learned real quick to talk and act respectful. my kids and now the grand kids are also real quick learners. thanks grandma.
Old April 5, 2008, 12:28 AM   #23
mossberg

Okay, now I know which one of my grandma's to act like.
Old February 22, 2009, 05:18 PM   #24
BamaHoosier

"Grammaws" don't live to be octagenarians(or centenarians)by living stupidlyMy great-grammaw made it to 96,still dippin' snuff and carryin' her bible everywhere she went.

It's like my job as a route driver:how people see me is how they see my company.So it goes with THR and its members!

BTW,I was born and raised in AL;I'm familiar with "fetchin' a keen hickory"

Quote:
Be careful with advice;wise men don't need it and fools won't heed it.-me and some one else before

Last edited by BamaHoosier; February 22, 2009 at 05:20 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old June 1, 2009, 04:24 PM   #25
Huddog

Glad to see others were raised as I was. Always hated the third trip to to the switch tree because if you didn't get that one right there would be real trouble. Seems to me what this world needs is a little more soap and hickory switches.