Quantcast
How old is this 20 ga ammo? - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Shotguns

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old August 18, 2015, 12:03 AM   #1
msmp5

How old is this 20 ga ammo?

Just picked up two cases of this Remington (Peters) 20 ga shotgun ammo, got it almost for free (garage sale kinda thing). The two cases were still sealed until I opened one up. From the boxes, it looks pretty old. Can any of you knowledgeable ammo folks put an approx manufacture date on it, based on the box markings? Think it is still safe to shoot? Any collector value?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (69.3 KB, 70 views)
Old August 18, 2015, 12:04 AM   #2
msmp5

Here's another pic, the side of the box.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (99.9 KB, 60 views)
Old August 18, 2015, 06:56 AM   #3
Virginian

It's still perfectly safe to shoot. Are they the blue paper shells or plastic?

I would not trust Remington's dating service accuracy as far as I could throw my truck.
Old August 18, 2015, 10:15 AM   #4
bannockburn

I would guess maybe sometime from the 1950s to the early 1960s. The design and printing on the packaging itself doesn't look that old, like they looked in the 1930s or 1940s and there's no zip code (begun in 1963), with the address on the side of the box.
Old August 18, 2015, 12:33 PM   #5
Bull Nutria

were the cases 20 box cases or the 10 box cases used today? i am guessing mid 1960s?? some one will know for sure?? do the boxes have a green head mallard on the front?

is it all buckshot? man that is a lot of buckshot??

Bull
Old August 18, 2015, 01:56 PM   #6
rule303

Those boxes are somewhat collectible, but not as much as earlier ones. Most collectors are more interested in the pre-warning boxes. I would think $20/box or maybe a little more if they are all as nice as the one pictured. The ammo crate should have some value as well.
Old August 18, 2015, 05:17 PM   #7
msmp5

Yes, 500 round cases. The ammo is yellow plastic. Looks like maybe a green head mallard on the box, is that significant? (See picture.) Any of you guys know any good websites/forums where the ammo collectors hang out?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Peters20gaPic3.jpg (93.8 KB, 41 views)
Old August 18, 2015, 06:47 PM   #8
Laphroaig

The first plastic shot shells that I can remember came out in the early to mid -60's. That would be my guess.

Laphroaig
Old August 19, 2015, 12:52 PM   #9
loose noose

If I remember right the first plastic rounds came out around 1958-59, I do remember shooting those yellow "high base" plastic shells in my first 20 gauge shotgun way back in the late '50s, however they were all number 6's. The 16 gauge were purple, and the 12 gauge were red as I remember, regardless of the shot contained inside.
Old August 19, 2015, 08:44 PM   #10
ridgerunner1965

ive had some of those that the lead shot oxidized and swelled cracking the the shell. no idea how they were stored.

if yours look fine i would not have a problem with shooting them.

as far as value, i dont think they are old enuf to be of much more value than the same modern shells. however they may be to a collector. but not by much.
Old August 19, 2015, 09:46 PM   #11
Gunnerboy

Wait for this show to come to town if its in a area near you, I attend every year in my home town and people drive 500+ miles just to collect buy and sell old cartridges. Guarenteed you should be able to offload a case of that old ammo. http://cartridgecollectors.org/events