Quantcast
Charter or taurus - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Handguns: Revolvers

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old January 9, 2016, 06:42 PM   #1
simonstough

Charter or taurus

I'm buying a .357 next month and I'm down to either the charter mag pug or a Taurus in .357 either a 605 or 617. The Taurus is 100-150 more, my question is
...is the extra money justifiable? Or should I save the hundred and buy from an American company, I've heard horror stories about both brands and their customer service. It isn't going to be a go to self defense weapon, I've already got higher quality revolvers and a 1911 for that role, the home defense niche is covered it's going to be a heavy hitting range gun and maybe carried if I'm comfortable that it's reliable.
Old January 9, 2016, 08:50 PM   #2
Drail

Charter. Taurus has gone just about all the way down the drain with their current production. Their older guns are fine. You might get a new Charter with a defect - but they will fix it very quickly.
Old January 9, 2016, 09:05 PM   #3
TruthTellers

I'll take Charter on this one. Been in business 50+ years and have been known as good quality, value oriented carry guns for decades.

May not be as popular today with the pocket auto craze, but they're still good.

EDIT: Also, .357 from such a short barrel isn't a good choice for home defense. You shoot that in the house, you're gonna have a blinding flash at night and probably be deaf for a week. Why not look at the .38?
Old January 9, 2016, 10:27 PM   #4
Drail

Definitely go with .38 Spl. loads in a snub. A .357 Mag in a snub is a complete waste of powder and is considerably harder to fire multiple shots from. Want to learn to flinch? Shoot some 125 gr. flame thrower loads out of a snub. Be sure to also try it at night if you can.
Old January 10, 2016, 03:45 AM   #5
Analogkid

My vote would be Charter as well.

The ports really help if you can get that model. Kinda spit back at you a bit though. Not a big deal.

The charters have came a long way lately.

Good luck with purchase!
Old January 10, 2016, 04:03 AM   #6
Stony

Might as well ask what's better....halitosis or bad breath? You are asking for a crap shoot either way.
Old January 10, 2016, 04:06 AM   #7
Old Dog

Quote:
I'll take Charter on this one. Been in business 50+ years and have been known as good quality, value oriented carry guns for decades.
Um, my understanding is that the current "Charter Arms" is NOT the same company as the older Charter Arms ...
Old January 10, 2016, 04:18 AM   #8
Cooldill

You're right, they're better.

But they still kick out plenty of lemons.
Old January 10, 2016, 05:52 AM   #9
Shootshellz

Neither. How much is your life worth?
Old January 10, 2016, 08:31 AM   #10
45Frank

Just wondering how much cheaper are they then a Ruger, even used Rugers are good for ever?
Picked up a 1950's Mark I years ago and was is just like new until a pipe leaked in my gun room and left a rust spot on it. Sent it back to Ruger for a rebluing and it came back with all new innards, new grip box and papers. All for just around $100.00. Will either of these companies do that in 50 years for what you may be saving?
They Repealed My I Amendment "I COULD SAY NOTHING" /NRA Life Member
Old January 10, 2016, 09:59 AM   #11
p95

dont you like smith and wessons???

No Matter where you go---THERE YOU ARE.
Old January 10, 2016, 10:19 AM   #12
joed

I've owned Charter and would never own another one. Also owned one Taurus and I regret selling it.

Why not buy a used S&W or Ruger?
Old January 10, 2016, 11:25 AM   #13
Grumulkin

I had a Taurus and sold it with no regrets and would never buy another.

I have a Charter Arms revolver and was suprised at how nice it is. I would happily buy another if I needed one.
Old January 10, 2016, 11:54 AM   #14
The Bushmaster

Smith & Wesson, Colt or Ruger. There will never be a taurus or charter arms in my safe or around the house.

DEMOCRACY is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for lunch...
LIBERTY is a well armed sheep contesting the outcome of the vote...
Old January 10, 2016, 12:22 PM   #15
WiTom

Stay away from anything Charter 2000, but they have gotten better since. I am in the same court that how much is your life worth? Cheap is not always better when protecting you or a loved one. Just saying.
Old January 10, 2016, 01:07 PM   #16
stoky

Quote:
dont you like smith and wessons???
I like Smiths, but in customer service they pale in comparison to Ruger, in my experience. From what I've read and heard, here and elsewhere, even the new Charter is superior to S&W in terms of customer support.
To the original question, I'd say Charter.
I have some Smiths and Rugers, have no Taurus nor Charter. I think the "how much is your life worth?" stich is hackneyed and fallacious. If it's reliable, reasonably accurate and the ergonomics suit you, it's expensive enough.
Old January 10, 2016, 02:03 PM   #17
Tallball

I have owned this one for a couple of years. It goes bang every time. The trigger is a little odd, but not heavy. It is as accurate as the fixed sights and my so-so shooting abilities allow. This one is 44 special, a preferred caliber of mine. If I ran across another Charter that tickled my fancy and passed my inspection, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it.

Last edited by Tallball; January 10, 2016 at 02:15 PM.
Old January 10, 2016, 02:10 PM   #18
Tallball

I own Beretta, Colt, Ruger, Smith and Wesson, etc. This Taurus is the one that sleeps near my bed. I owned a Model 66 since the late 80's and had to use it for SD twice. When it was stolen about 15 years ago I bought this somewhat fancier version of the Model 66 to replace it. They cost me about $200 apiece used. The triggers, sights, and accuracy are/were excellent on both. When I have shot more thousands of rounds through something I shoot better, I will lock it away. Until then, it is my little security blanket.

Last edited by Tallball; January 10, 2016 at 03:04 PM.
Old January 10, 2016, 02:19 PM   #19
CornCod

I carried a Taurus revolver as a security guard for awhile. I own a current production Charter Arms snubby in .22 magnum which has thus far presented no problems. My best advice would be to go over any prospective purchase with a fine-toothed comb. Check for excessive play in the cylinder or crane. Make sure the ejector rod works smoothly. Ask the store clerk for permission to dry fire it a few times.
Old January 10, 2016, 02:31 PM   #20
bannockburn

Between the two I would probably go with Charter Arms. Just my own observation but on occasion I have checked out both brands at various gun shows and Taurus revolvers just seem to have more build quality issues to them than a comparable Charter Arms revolver.
Old January 10, 2016, 02:37 PM   #21
khari

Good suggestions about considering others. You can get a good Ruger Security Six for anywhere from $325 to $450, and those are as solid as they come.
Old January 10, 2016, 03:42 PM   #22
Haywood

The 617 with Ribber Grip or Hogue Grip would handle shooting 357 recoil the best. If you are going to shoot 38s all would work. I had a 605 and still have the 617.
Old January 10, 2016, 06:20 PM   #23
old fart

of the two you mentioned i would pick charter, customer service much better. i had a charter a few years ago and hadt o send it in, came back in two weeks as a new gun. sold it to my brother inlaw to fund a vehicle purchase, he still has it and its working fine. however what about ruger, when i was looking to buy a carry revolver recently after selling my nano, i found a new ruger was only $50 more than a charter and about $75 more than a new taurus. ruger is worth the extra money. now i know how it is to be on a budget and a fixed income, if ruger was $150 or more then i would have went with charter myself, but just $50 i knew right away to go ruger,
Old January 10, 2016, 08:30 PM   #24
joem1945

I wouldn't recommend taurus as I've had bad luck with 2 of them. Only 2 left and when they quit I'm done with them forever.
Old January 10, 2016, 08:57 PM   #25
Omaha-BeenGlockin

I own an all stainless Taurus 605----with no complaints at all

It has been a good gun---so far---don't know what else to say---it shoots where I aim it and goes bang every time----and I got it cheap