Quantcast
Vertical accuracu issues w/ 386 S&W Hunter - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Handguns: Revolvers

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old May 21, 2015, 10:17 PM   #1
Huntolive

Vertical accuracu issues w/ 386 S&W Hunter

Hello,
I recently shot both my new 627 PC 5" and 386 XL Hunter 6" 357 S&Wessons and found the 627 was dead on, while the 386 shoots about 7" high, both w/ same ammo (158grn 38 spec.) This was same for 2 different shooters, including a friend who is a more skilled pistol shooter.
Both guns group well, but the 386 is high.

I had not planned to mount an optic, but now think I may: I have a Matchdot 2.

How can I overcome the vertical issue with OUT an optic?

If mounting Matchdot 2 or Ultradot, how do I do that on these S&Wessons mentioned above (I really don't want to put one on the 627, but probably will on the 386) and would the same base be compatible?

How do i remove the sights and install the base w/o damaging the guns?

I plan to mount the ultradot/matchdot using the rings that come from ultradot in the kit.

Last edited by Huntolive; May 22, 2015 at 09:32 AM.
Old May 22, 2015, 10:52 AM   #2
buck460XVR

You can't adjust the sights to adjust POI to POA on the 386?

The 386 should already be predrilled/tapped for a scope mount. The screw holes are under the rear sight base which is easy to remove.

Theiyr're...........take that Grammar Nazis!
Old May 22, 2015, 10:57 AM   #3
CraigC
Contributing Member

Quote:
How can I overcome the vertical issue with OUT an optic?
Taller front sight.

"Wise men learn by others’ harms; fools by their own." - Benjamin Franklin

http://www.sixgunleather.com
Old May 22, 2015, 05:18 PM   #4
Huntolive

How do u adjust the rear sight up and down?

I can adjust the rear sight right and left easliy, and have done so, but is the rear sight adjustable up and down? If so how?
Old May 23, 2015, 12:07 PM   #5
rcmodel
Contributing Member

Turn the big screw on top of the sight.

It is click adjustable for elevation, just like the windage screw.

See page 24 of the owners manual.
https://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstor...12-15-2014.pdf

rc

Last edited by rcmodel; May 23, 2015 at 12:49 PM.
Old May 23, 2015, 08:21 PM   #6
Bullet Bob

So, you didn't like the other answers on the S&W Forum?
Old May 29, 2015, 08:54 AM   #7
Huntolive

Thanks,
your advice helped me get the up-down adjustments working, and that helped alot, but I am still frustrated by inconsistant accuracy. This gun still is not shooting nearly as consistantly as the 627 Pc.
I have read that the lightweight revolvers (386 XL scandium) can be harder to get accurate with. What advice do you have on shooting techniques?

I have been puting in alot of practice, and am starting to think seriously about either mounting the Matchdot 2 or a basic Ultradot, or even selling the gun.

Advice needed on mounting the sight and if it is the best option to do so, and if going with an optic, which one? I am even considering a 2X or 4X scope.