Quantcast
M&p 340 - Page 49 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Handguns: Revolvers

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old September 17, 2009, 07:55 PM   #1201
Dollar An Hour

weird... I've fired about 150 rounds of Rem Golden Sabre .357's with no crimp jump issues.
Old September 17, 2009, 09:10 PM   #1202
DAdams

340 Crimp JUmp

Limp wristing. Just kidding Megatron.
Old September 17, 2009, 10:39 PM   #1203
porschedog

This is a great thread. Keep it going (I've got a 360 M&P on order)
Old September 17, 2009, 11:52 PM   #1204
Nematocyst

Quote:
(I've got a 360 M&P on order)
360? What's that?

<heads to SW site ...>

Quote:
Model: 360
Caliber: .38 S&W Special +P
Capacity: 5 Rounds
Action: Single/Double Action
Barrel Length: 1 7/8"
Front Sight: Black Ramp
Rear Sight: Fixed Notch
Overall Length: 6 3/8"
Weight: 13.3 oz.
Grip: Rubber
Material: Scandium Frame/Carbon Steel Cylinder
Finish: Matte Black
So, that's a scandium 442 with exposed hammer and a 3-finger grip?

Blades, Levers, Sticks & Wheels
Old September 18, 2009, 12:17 AM   #1205
jfh

Actually, the 360 is a 357 scandium frame (with exposed hammer) and a 38 Special cylinder. At least, that's what my "Airweight" marked one is. Mine came with S&W's 3-finger grip. AFAICT, however, it is virtually identical to a Chief's Special, except it has the standard front ramp sight, and the CS has a tritium dot, IIRC.

What is significant about it is that this model is a scandium j-frame in 38 Special that appears to be making its way into regular production, or something like that. IOW, S&W may be giving up the "premium pricing" for a scandium and 357 Magnum configuration.

In the early pricing on my gun last fall, Bud's had it for about $420.00 shipped. By the time I found it at my LGS, I had to pay about $525, IIRC. That Bud's price brought it in at nearly the same price as the typical 442 / 642, etc.

The trigger on my 360 was actually better than on my M&P340--although not quite as smooth due to less wear.

Now that I have the 340 back, that's what I am carrying now. For this revolver's intended use, I see no advantage to an exposed hammer--but that's just my take.

added on edit: Can another 360 owner confirm their frame is also the 357 version?

Jim H.

Last edited by jfh; September 18, 2009 at 08:35 AM. Reason: style; cleanup
Old September 20, 2009, 09:48 PM   #1206
megatronrules

Dollaranhour could it be I just got a box of golden sabers that weren't crimped very tightly perhaps? I'll pick up another box of golden sabers and report back here on my findings.
Old September 23, 2009, 01:50 PM   #1207
DAdams

M&P 340 A Snub for all Seasons

Old September 25, 2009, 06:53 PM   #1208
porschedog

The 360 has a 38 SPCL Cylinder? Huh? Mine and the one I shot when I ordered it is a 357.
The 360 and its exposed hammer is just my personal preference. I like having the option of single action.

Last edited by porschedog; September 25, 2009 at 06:55 PM. Reason: typo
Old September 25, 2009, 07:06 PM   #1209
DAdams

Hybrid

JFH says:
Quote:
that's what my "Airweight" marked one is
Not the same as a M&P 360.
Old September 25, 2009, 07:24 PM   #1210
jfh

About that 360 / 38 Spl variant--

I see I didn't mention the apparent background on this particular variant in the post three above...

Last fall, some 360s showed up at some different retail outlets. It seems these 360s had 38 Special cylinders--and were, the rumors went, a "European contract" that was cancelled. At a time the Obama demand was driving prices on 642/442 Airweights up to about $450.00 or so, , my LGS got one in stock for about $525.00--so I bought one.

Some time later, I saw this 360 / 38 Special variant in the S&W online catalog as a "Bill Hicks (Distributor) special." The SKU is 16030; here is the link to it. The 360 you saw is the "Chief's Special"--or SKU 160374; here is that link. Note that 16030 is called an Airweight; 160374 is prefixed with M&P. It appears that the only difference in the two guns (160360 is a 357 frame, too) is the front sight, cylinder metal, chamber cut, and no lanyard slot/pin.

Mine came with a rough chamber; I'm going to send it in--and I am curious about the cost of an additional .357 cylinder, and if S&W would fit it. Or, how about a 9mmP cylinder?

Other than any issues of personal preference for DAO or SA/DA, it strikes me as the ideal j-frame carry gun. The only real downside is that it comes with a standard front ramp site--but that is removable / pinned, so a dot could be installed easily.

added on edit: Here's a picture, showing the right side--

[IMG][/IMG]

This picture is just a crop in Elements, with an auto-contrast enhancement. One can see the "Airweight" script on the sideplate and the "S & W .38 Cal" info the barrel. The Bud's Gun Shop pkg came with both the compact and boot grips; the LGS one came with just the compact--the grip you see here is the result of switcharounds after my M&P340 came back from S&W.

added on edit 2: Here's another picture, showing both the 360 and the M&P340--

[IMG][/IMG]

Note that although the 360 has some slightly different frame cuts at the hammer, the cylinder window is the same length on both frames, and that the 360 38 Spl cylinder is the same length as the M&P340 cylinder.

Jim H.

Last edited by jfh; September 26, 2009 at 05:00 AM. Reason: added images. cleaned up text
Old September 25, 2009, 10:26 PM   #1211
DAdams

Jim

Thanks for the clarification and background. I did some searching and didn't come up with what I thought was a reasonable answer when you posted your description....

Quote:
Or, how about a 9mmP cylinder?
I like the way you think....XS and 9mm. Now that would be something to behold. Do it, do it.
Old September 29, 2009, 03:22 PM   #1212
NICK9MM

360m&p

I bought a new 360 m&p. The first time i shot the gun the night sight broke and the frame started coming apart. Looks like a pressed part. I am very upset i love the gun i mean love it i just hope i didnt make a $700 mistake. Ive shot everything out of it from 38 to full boat .357. I must say everyone tried talking me out of buying it because they say you cant even shoot it. Bull crap its fun as hell me and all of my friends have shot it and yes it packs a punch but its no big deal. For all of you who think its to much gun take up something different like bowling. Oh and just wanted to say i sent the gun in today to s&w they were very helpful and sent a fed ex tag for pickup. Ill let you know how they did when it returns. Its not going to take longer than 2 weeks so they say.
Old September 29, 2009, 04:31 PM   #1213
megatronrules

NICK9MM I had an issue with my first 340 M&P the barrel had split where it connects to the frame. I called S&W and they sent me a return label about 2 and half weeks later they called me for my local FFL license to be faxed to them,they send me a brand new gun. Have no worries S&W will take care of you let us know how it turns out though.
Old September 29, 2009, 06:46 PM   #1214
jfh

NICK9MM: Could you give us more detail about your M&P 360 failure? Like--

what broke on the front sight?

Where did the frame break? What part looks pressed?

How many rounds did you shoot? What were the cartridges--that is, were they 38 "range ammo" like WWB, and what full boat .357 loads were shot? Were they reloads, or factory rounds? How many rounds did your friends shoot, what kind? What brand, what bullet weight--that sort of thing.

Getting this kind of information 'out there' is important--that's the purpose of this thread, to provide a running documentary of these (scandium) j-frames.

As for the turnaround time for S&W repairs--megatronrules has it right; repairs to my M&P 340 took about 19 days, and that was over the long weekend, and includes shipping time both ways.

Jim H.
Old October 1, 2009, 02:05 PM   #1215
Crapgoose

I actually just picked up my new 340 the other day and can't wait to take it out. However, I did notice there is already some wear on the frame which you can see in the pic below. It's straight through the finish to the bare metal and is jagged to the touch. Being my first revolver I'm curious if this is normal or not?

Old October 1, 2009, 02:11 PM   #1216
LoneStarWings

Yep that's normal, mine came like that from the factory too, and just about every picture I've seen has that same strip of bare metal showing.
Old October 1, 2009, 04:00 PM   #1217
jfh

As LoneStarWings said, that wear is normal--

and after more shooting, it won't be so ragged and raw.

See this post, showing an M&P 340 at the 1000-round mark.

It even shows up in the two-gun comparison, five posts above your query--although it isn't very visible.

Jim H.
Old October 1, 2009, 07:42 PM   #1218
megatronrules

Has anyone here shot the corbon powerball .357's in their 340's yet? If so were there any crimp jump issues with this ammo? I ask as it looks like it performs well for penetration and expansion in tests.
Old October 1, 2009, 09:10 PM   #1219
altitude_19

No, but the Pow'r Ball 38+P's get you the best performance that can be had out of a 38 round. 294 ft lbs muzzle energy, polymer tip expansion, and surprisingly controllable. Make sure whatever specs you read for the ammo you try is adjusted for snub barrels. Let us know if you try it!
Old October 1, 2009, 10:12 PM   #1220
LoneStarWings

I haven't tried the powr ball ammo, but have shot a few boxes of the .357 DPX's, which are full power rounds, and haven't experienced crimp jump.
Old October 2, 2009, 08:31 AM   #1221
Crapgoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh View Post
and after more shooting, it won't be so ragged and raw.

See this post, showing an M&P 340 at the 1000-round mark.

It even shows up in the two-gun comparison, five posts above your query--although it isn't very visible.

Jim H.
Thanks for the link. Glad to know it's normal. Now I just need to find 1000 rounds to put through it.
Old October 3, 2009, 09:09 PM   #1222
megatronrules

Here are some pics of my 340 M&P with its new pachmayr grips and some self defense ammo,

Old October 4, 2009, 02:36 PM   #1223
JoeShmoe

I am very interested in an M&P 340 but as everyone knows they are scarce these days. I've seen the M&P 360 in stock for the same price. Would there be any major disadvantages to buying the M&P 360 and changing out the hammer to a spurless one?
Old October 4, 2009, 04:51 PM   #1224
megatronrules

JoeShmoe I don't see any disadvantages to buying the 360 M&P at all you could always have a gunsmith just bob the hammer on it and it would be as snag proof as the 340 M&P. both of these M&P J-frames are great guns i pocket carry my 340 M&P everyday and its no more intrusive then my wallet or cell phone,and it doesn't weight anymore then either one of these items in the pock either. I'd get the 360 M&P if I were you trust me you won't be sorry.
Old October 8, 2009, 12:08 PM   #1225
Milo

Just ordered an M&P 340CT

Hi guys, great post you have going here, its the best one I have come accross. It made the decision to go for the MP340 a no brainer

I just ordered my MP340 with the crimson trace grips. I was wondering if someone could tell me if the Safariland CompI Speedloader for the 5 shot J-Frame works for the MP340. I noticed some mention of that speedloader but did not see anyone actually saying they use that one, of course with a post of this length I could have missed it.

Thanks to all who posted about ammo choices, holsters and those great pics!