Quantcast
M&p 340 - Page 58 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Handguns: Revolvers

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old May 21, 2010, 06:56 PM   #1426
bowfita

Thanks DA, I also like the hammer look, but I'm exploring the other options for ccw. The desire for SA is for the range only. I had a trigger job done on my 60-15 3" and love it, thus the ? on the 340. When I do carry the 60, it is not deep cover so no need to be concerned about snagging.
Old May 21, 2010, 10:04 PM   #1427
branshew

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowfita
When I do carry the 60, it is not deep cover so no need to be concerned about snagging.
If that's the case, go with the 360. Then you have the option of SA. Although I have tried the 360 in nearly all of my pants and shorts pockets and haven't found snagging a problem. The spur isn't very long and it lies close to the frame when the hammer is at rest.
Old May 28, 2010, 03:23 PM   #1428
MXD

Can anybody offer me any advice in this thread?

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=524734
Old May 28, 2010, 05:43 PM   #1429
DAdams

MXD that is indeed a disappointing performance on the part of S&W.

Call Customer Service immediately and let them know what happened.
They will provide details for a return. My guess (only a guess) you will likely get a new 340.
Turnaround should be about 10 days to two weeks.

Let us know how the situation plays out.
Old May 29, 2010, 03:43 AM   #1430
Nematocyst

I thought you .357 mag snubnose officiandos might appreciate my post here
about a .22 mag snubnose in which I mention the esteemed M&P340.

At ease. Smoke'm if you've got 'em.

Blades, Levers, Sticks & Wheels
Old May 29, 2010, 09:25 AM   #1431
DAdams

To all you Veterans, God Bless you and your Families.

Thank you for your service.
Old May 30, 2010, 04:31 PM   #1432
Sparks_1911

M&P 340 CT Range Report

Finally got to the range with the new toy and various types of ammo. Unfortunately my other new toy (chronograph) had issues which I can fix, but no velocity numbers to report on the 340 (got a few on my M&P 40C but that's another thread).

I'm a semi-auto guy; never shot a revolver (as long as you don't count a .22 when I was a kid). Based on a lot of reports, I was prepared for the worst recoil-wise. Short answer: t'aint that bad.

Given the chronograph issues I was not going to burn up a lot of ammo just tossing it downrange, so loaded up a few of everything I had just to get a feel for the pistol (accuracy not particularly monitored or striven for, but most rounds hit a 12" target at about 10 yds; also, bullet jump (if any) not monitored).
5 rounds of .38 Special PMC Bronze, 132 gr FMJ for a baseline. Pretty tame. This stuff is dirty (no surprise); power residue evident in the cylinder when the spent brass was ejected.

5 rounds of .38 Special +P Buffalo Bore 158 gr LSWHC. Now we're shooting something, the recoil told me. Not bad, but it's barking now

5 rounds of .357 Mag Buffalo Bore 158 gr JHP Tactical Short Barrel Lower Recoil. Perceived recoil seemed about the same. That surprised me.

2 rounds of .357 Mag Hornady 158 gr XTP Custom immediately followed by 2 rounds of .357 Mag Hornady 125 gr FTX Critical Defense (no reload). Both of these are a handful, couldn't really say any worse than the .357 Buffalo Bore, or not terribly worse, but I am now aware that the 340 has a steel backstrap. A Hogue grip would probably be more comfortable than the Crimson Trace 405.

2 rounds of .357 Mag Remington Golden Saber 125 gr JHP. Recoil seemed about the same as the Hornady.
I'm probably insufficiently familiar with the pistol to gauge the recoil at this point (I can easily tell when switching ammo in my M&P 40C), but the bottom line is that the M&P 340 is quite manageable with the above loads. I wouldn't want to shoot a hundred rounds in one sitting, but I suffered no ill effects from the short stint above. I must say that the 340 does not point 'naturally' for me, and my grip feels 'contrived' (I'm doing the hook left thumb over back of right thumb joint in order to control recoil -- this is not the grip I use when shooting a semi-auto).

I'll be making some chronograph 'repairs' later today and try to hit the range in the A.M. and get some hard numbers on this ammo.
Old May 31, 2010, 01:32 PM   #1433
Sparks_1911

Quote:
I'll be making some chronograph 'repairs' later today and try to hit the range in the A.M. and get some hard numbers on this ammo.
The chronograph appears to have problems; will have to send it off to the mfr to be checked out.

Ran about another 20 rds of .38, about 10 rds of the Buffalo Bore .38 +P, and about 20 rounds of various .357 Mag. Ouch... I may have poo-pooed the recoil a bit too much yesterday, but I have identified a culprit. The LG-405 grips have an very odd feature as shown below (centered in the yellow square):

This rubber 'overhang' bites into your palm, and in my case, left two pencil-point bruises after about 30 rounds of heavy ammo. IMHO this seems to be a colossal oversight on CT's part, but I'm thinking it can be filled up silicone sealant and trimmed smooth.
Old June 1, 2010, 12:41 PM   #1434
DAdams

Quote:
I may have poo-pooed the recoil a bit too much yesterday, but I have identified a culprit. The LG-405 grips have an very odd feature as shown below (centered in the yellow square):
If it is any consolation the 405 configuration you have apparently is a standard feature as mine are the same way. With a "high" grip my hand doesn't much come into contact with that area and this was perhaps a design facet to keep the flesh somewhat removed from the metal portion?

Thanks for your report. I suspect once you feel comfortable and accomplished with the 340 you will shoot it enough to remain competent but not enough to beat you up.
Old June 13, 2010, 07:41 PM   #1435
DAdams

Three Years Running

Hard to believe that the M&P 340 thread commenced three years ago.
June 12, 2007.

Not exactly over a million served but a bunch of satisfied users.

After three years my M&P 340 is still a close companion.

Old June 13, 2010, 10:59 PM   #1436
Nematocyst

Happy anniversary, 340M&P.

Who knows: someday, the sign could read billions served.
(At least if counting rounds down range. )

Blades, Levers, Sticks & Wheels
Old June 19, 2010, 09:59 PM   #1437
cvoharley

Hey y'all. I decided about two months ago that my 640 was getting just a little too heavy for front pocket &/or ankle carry on a daily basis any more. I knew I wanted a Airweight but just not sure which one. Well, thanks to this wonderful site I narrowed it down to either the PD or the M&P w/ CT. I made the final decision Thursday night, bought the 340 M&P with Crimson Trace Friday afternoon, and qualified with it this morning. I was a little hesitant to use a new weapon that had never been fired before to qualify with. As this is going to be my backup, I qualified with my primary weapon first.
Being that it was new out of the box, I decided to shoot with just the .38's. Ammo for the day was Winchester 125 gr. JSP. WOW! What a wonderful handling weapon! I didn't get a chance to experiment with any other ammo but range time is in the near future.
Again, thanks for all the input.
Old June 20, 2010, 08:30 PM   #1438
DAdams

cvoharley

Welcome to the fold.

Quote:
Being that it was new out of the box, I decided to shoot with just the .38's. Ammo for the day was Winchester 125 gr. JSP. WOW! What a wonderful handling weapon!
Let us know how things work out.
Old June 29, 2010, 10:34 PM   #1439
HawkTech

Have any of you used the CT LG-105 instead of the LG-405? It seems to fit my hand better, more like the stock grip on the M&P 340, but without the rubberized material. The LG-405 seems to be too narrow for my hands.
Old June 30, 2010, 12:11 AM   #1440
duns

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkTech View Post
Have any of you used the CT LG-105 instead of the LG-405? It seems to fit my hand better, more like the stock grip on the M&P 340, but without the rubberized material. The LG-405 seems to be too narrow for my hands.
I have the stock M&P 340CT, which comes with the LG-405 grips. I do find them uncomfortably thin, especially when firing 357 magnum, but on the other hand they are the deep concealment grips so I accept the trade-off.
Old June 30, 2010, 12:46 PM   #1441
HawkTech

Does anyone carry the 340 without the CT grip?
Old June 30, 2010, 03:05 PM   #1442
DAdams

Hawktech and Duns-

welcome.

I have only carried with the CT405s long term and tried the Hogue Monogrips for a few days. The Hogues are comfy but too long, they exposed occassionally. You may wish to try the Hogue Bantams which are used by many on the X42 Series.

Regarding 405 size, yes there is not much breadth but what I like is the rubber and the air pocket for recoil. Recoil absorbtion is more desireable at the range, in an emergency I don't think it would cross my mind.

There are many grip alternatives for J Frame Centennials, fortunately many are not that expensive in the synthetics.

You may wish to Google J Frame Grips. There are some really nice wood grips that may work well for BBQ events and regular carry.

http://www.google.com/search?source=...=&oq=&gs_rfai=

Some Dymondwood would look really nice on a 340.

http://www.collinscraftgrips.com/smi...ps.php?Q=Smith

Last edited by DAdams; June 30, 2010 at 03:20 PM.
Old July 1, 2010, 12:18 PM   #1443
HawkTech

Well, I picked up a new 340 yesterday with the LG-105 grips. They were $100 less than the LG-405's and they are a lot more comfortable to me. The 105's are the same contour as the factory grip. The only think I don't like is the fact that you can't turn the laser off. That would be nice for IDPA matches were we shoot our back up guns.
Old July 2, 2010, 01:02 AM   #1444
rich642z

How is that top strap protector holding up after 3 years of shooting the M&P340??? rich642z
Old July 2, 2010, 01:02 PM   #1445
DAdams

Quote:
How is that top strap protector holding up after 3 years of shooting the M&P340??? rich642z
Mine is still intact and as new. I can't say that it gets used and abused that much though. I would surmise and have read that CT replaces those under warranty that have perhaps failed prematurely due to inferior material batches or processing issues. Sandpaper like skin and skin oils may also play a role in deterioration.

I test the LED nightly when the 340 goes from its daytime locale to its nocturnal location.

I don't see any major issues that would flag chronic system failures when doing a Google search on CT grips.
Old July 2, 2010, 04:23 PM   #1446
HawkTech

Question for anyone using the Laser Grips...

I am already finding the laser to be a bit of an annoyance when using the actual sights on the gun. Am I alone here? It seems that most of you are using the CT grips, but I am very curious how many are carrying and shooting the 340 without laser grips. I'm not convinced the laser grip is the way to go for me, and I am having second thoughts. Is this something I will get used to?
Old July 2, 2010, 05:33 PM   #1447
jfh

HawkTech: I suspect that most of us who recommend and use the laser sight have a general desire to not use the fixed sighting on this firearm. I know I generally don't want to, should I need to be shooting mine in a self-defense situation. As it turned out, in the one real situation in which I needed to draw--an attempted carjacking / robbery--I couldn't have used the iron sights, and I sure didn't need the laser; there was a perp's belly about three feet away, immediately to my left. FWIW, the sight of my gun, or perhaps the laser, caused an immediate departure by him.

There's a number of reasons for that perspective, I guess. First, given the type of firearm this is--i.e., a 2"-barreled revolver, it really is intended for use at close ranges--even belly close, possibly. Second, the need for aimed fire beyond perhaps ten yards is now pretty limited, given the general guidelines / laws / 'thinking' about self-defense shooting.

These two characteristics of anticipated use have lead us to learn to point shoot and it is here that the laser really shines--primarily as a training aid. Sufficient practice--and 'thinking' about laser use while doing it--can help a shooter develop fairly good conditional skills; you can learn to not just light up the laser as you grip to fire, and so on. That motor skill allows one to further enhance their point shooting skills--i.e., draw, point, and then turn on the laser to see if your point is accurate. I do this drill routinely at home, during dry fire practice.

For me, then, the M&P 340 is primarily an up-close gun, and I've learned to shoot it fairly accurately--a 7" circle at ten yards, in five seconds, with "FBI load" ammo--at those distances by point shooting, with or without the laser.

Lots of practice will allow you to become less self-conscious about laser benefits or disadvantages--lots and lots of practice. So, yes, I think you will get used to it, and learn how to use it as you wish.

Jim H.

Last edited by jfh; July 2, 2010 at 05:44 PM. Reason: added personal SD experience.
Old July 9, 2010, 05:57 PM   #1448
Balog

My 340 is at my FFL of choice, and first thing tomorrow I can finally pick it up! I'm so excited to finally have something to put in that Mika I bought, and to be able to try out the three different grips I bought on an actual gun.

Lee Lapin
Old July 9, 2010, 10:41 PM   #1449
Chachi39

DAdams I would like to thank you for starting this Thread. I have been reading it for over a year now. I am in the U.S. Army and Stationed at Ft. Hood Texas. I Finally got my 340 I have been waiting 1 year to the day to finally get mine. But it was all worth it. I paid $619 plus taxes. I ordered 2 one for me and one for my best friend. We put them on order when we got back from I Iraq last June and have been impatiently waiting. They came in Thursday and we each put 100 round of 38 plus P and 50 round of .357 through them today and could not be more pleased. Great groups with the .38 but that .357 is a Killer. I plan on running nothing but Glaser Safety Slug in it for CC. My wife carry’s a 637 CT but I swapped out her CT 305 for Pink Hogues and now I got the CT 305 on my 340.

[IMG]0702002126a.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0702002126a.jpg (206.6 KB, 42 views)

Last edited by Chachi39; July 9, 2010 at 10:49 PM.
Old July 10, 2010, 12:07 PM   #1450
DAdams

Balog and Chachi39.

First off welcome to you both on the 340 thread. Chachi39 thanks for you and your Buds' service to our Country and making it home safe.

I can't think of a better revolver reward than a M&P 340.

Balog is a regular here at THR glad you could join the crew!!

Chachi try that pic again.

I am thinking about a set of CT 305s, but then I would have to buy another snub. for the 405s. Damn J Frames anyway.