Quantcast
What aspects of shooting interest you MOST? - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Social Situations > General Gun Discussions

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old March 3, 2015, 01:06 AM   #1
Cee Zee

What aspects of shooting interest you MOST?

If we are doing a negative survey let's do a positive one too. I'll start.

shooting pretty much anything that goes boom
trying to hit tiny targets at long distances even if those targets are moving
I used to like hunting a lot - still do but my body doesn't -traitor
shotguns and all the stuff they will do that nothing else will (my favorite is trimming the tree branches that block my satellite dish)
beautiful guns
ugly guns that work beautifully
the history of guns
almost everything about guns really - only a few things don't interest me
Old March 3, 2015, 02:45 AM   #2
Ignition Override

Milsurp rifles: no plastic, just wood and metal. Certain classic military handguns, mostly compact types.
When I was about eight years old, a new show- "Combat"- starring the late Vic Morrow appeared on tv. Episodes are on Google. Hence, the modern military gun styles could never make such formative impressions.

Shooting at a concrete block from 100 yards in dry weather, then hitting the fragments, watching the dusty 'smoke'.

Last edited by Ignition Override; March 3, 2015 at 02:52 AM.
Old March 3, 2015, 02:53 AM   #3
ColtPythonElite

Classic wheel guns, vintage rimfire target rifles and scopes, really most any rimfire except a 10/22, and lots of reloading.
Old March 3, 2015, 06:51 AM   #4
silicosys4

revolvers
handguns from the early 1900's to about 1990
the best or most innovative AR products or guns
engraved guns and nice finishes
classic centerfire rifles
above average accurate modern centerfires
target rimfires
reloading
ballistics
fine hand finishing and craftsmanship
value
safari rifles and safaris
reactive targets, steel, and paper accuracy
the noise and smell
Old March 3, 2015, 07:13 AM   #5
alexander45

Inexpensive odd ball guns like iver johnsons
Old March 3, 2015, 07:26 AM   #6
Officers'Wife

Watching a doe stagger and fall after a good clean shot knowing there will be venison for dinner!
Old March 3, 2015, 07:30 AM   #7
bannockburn

I like the mechanical and operational aspect of firearms and how they work. Besides functionality I also look for reliability, accuracy, and durability in their design and construction.

Guns that have always interested me:

Single Action revolvers
Double Action revolvers
Timeless classic semi-autos like the 1911 and the Browning Hi-Power
Single Shot rifles
Lever Action rifles
Bolt Action rifles
Modular designs like the AR15 platform
Pump Action shotguns
Double Barrel shotguns, both Over/Under and Side by Side models

Besides the guns themselves I like plinking away at pop cans and plastic bottles, target shooting with .22 rifles and pistols, and real world use in terms of concealed carry and home defense applications. And most of all I like that they go "BANG" or "BOOM" every time I pull the trigger on one of them.
Old March 3, 2015, 09:33 AM   #8
gamestalker

Reloading

Practicing enough with each of my firearms to know that I can proficiently stop any presumed threat, with any of them.

Hunting

GS
Old March 3, 2015, 09:58 AM   #9
fallout mike
Contributing Member

Getting to shoot sniper rifles, assault rifles, and steel penetrating ammo through high capacity assault clips with guns that has the shoulder thing that goes up.
Old March 3, 2015, 10:07 AM   #10
Normandy

I never take fewer than 6 guns to the range. I love variety. I take semi-auto pistols, revolvers, .22 rifles, ARs, AKs, etc. I shoot them all, and enjoy what each has to offer. As for .22 pistols, my goal is to make one ragged hole at 40' pistol target. With higher caliber pistols, I try to shoot faster, and keep the shots in an 8" space (self-defense type shooting), and with rifles, I like to shoot clays at 60-100 yards. Shoot maybe 40-50 rounds through each rifle and handgun.
Old March 3, 2015, 10:18 AM   #11
Dr.Zubrato

training with my carry piece and home defense rifle

stopped caring about finish, doodads, gizmos and flash in the pan guns.
Old March 3, 2015, 12:28 PM   #12
Thermactor
Contributing Member

Jimenez Arms
Bryco
Jennings
Raven
Hi-Point
Phoenix
Lorcin
Kel-Tec
Star
Rohm
S&W Sigma, SW and SD series handguns
Davis
Kahr Arms
Sundance
Old March 3, 2015, 12:41 PM   #13
Comrade Mike

Reloading

Certain kinds of completion

Revolvers

Certain Milsurps

Certain AR-15's

Pushing myself to constantly improve
Old March 3, 2015, 12:47 PM   #14
ATLDave

USPSA competition
Reloading
Skeet
The mechanical/engineering aspect of firearms themselves
Old March 3, 2015, 12:54 PM   #15
anothernewb

for me it's the simple challenge to put all those holes in one place. Guess I never got over the little kid part of - hey that (whatever it is) over there. I wonder if I can hit it with ***.

plinking and target shooting are fun in and of themselves. no matter how often I do it, or see it done, it's still cool to hear the bang - and see a pop can (or whatever it is) some distance away jump and move. it's like magic. Same goes for a target. it's me vs the paper and my control over the firearm. I want to see every shot take out a piece of black.
Old March 3, 2015, 01:34 PM   #16
Ankeny

Competition handgun shooting. USPSA all five divisions, NRA Action Pistol, Steel Challenge. I no longer shoot Bullseye or PPC.

Long range rifle shooting. Including slapping steel, long range p-dogs (600-1000 yards), and informal plinking.

Big game, small game, varmint, and predator hunting.
Old March 3, 2015, 01:46 PM   #17
g.willikers

The history,
How they work,
How to use them well.
Old March 3, 2015, 01:57 PM   #18
460Kodiak

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamestalker View Post
Practicing enough with each of my firearms to know that I can proficiently stop any presumed threat, with any of them.
^^^^^ This

Revolvers of all kinds
Gun and design history
Old March 3, 2015, 04:45 PM   #19
ku4hx

High end wood stocks beautifully finished, actions so quiet and smooth they feel like they're running on ball bearings and accuracy potential better than I'm personally capable of. This mostly applies to rifles and shotguns but I have seen some single shot muzzle loading pistols that fill the bill. I in fact own one.

Modern firearms are great, but many of them are mostly aimed solely at function with less attention to "The Art Of The Gun". I grew with guns that were classic [functioning] pieces of hunting and shooting art and today that seems to be rather uncommon as the true firearm craftsmen are leaving us.
Old March 3, 2015, 05:52 PM   #20
1911 guy

*I like reading about both guns that shaped history (especially WWII guns) and guns that shaped firearm development.
*I like reading about developments and observations in tactics.
*I like target shooting, both "plinking" and serious tiny group stuff.
*I like hunting small game, birds and deer. No waterfowl because I don't eat them.
*I like some of the "tacticool" stuff because, well, I'm a guy. A little kid at heart.
*I like classic guns, blued steel and wood stocks.
*I like "gun games". Just don't confuse them with actual training.

My problem is that unless I limit the scope of my hobbies, I'd never have time for work or family.

http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/index.php
yes, I play the bagpipes. No, I don't wear a skirt. It's called a kilt.
Old March 3, 2015, 08:27 PM   #21
Cee Zee

Quote:
I grew with guns that were classic [functioning] pieces of hunting and shooting art and today that seems to be rather uncommon as the true firearm craftsmen are leaving us.
I saw a bunch of guns that were works of art early in my life. We had a trap range in our back yard and people came from all over to shoot there. We had about the only true trap machine in 75 miles. Some people brought incredibly beautiful shotguns with them. But they rarely shot them. In fact I don't remember any of them ever being shot. They were placed on the kitchen table to look at. When the owners and the gawkers went outside to shoot I had personal access to all of them. I was even allowed to handle them. Just never, ever touch the metal. Those were the ground rules. I was about 7-8 years old at the time so it was heaven for me. I still love the looks of those Spanish and Italian shotguns with intricate engraving and wood work. Acid in your skin can make a gun rust before you know what happened especially in those days because the finish on those guns as expensive as they were was still behind the average finish today. They looked better but I've seen someone grab a shotgun by the receiver and carry it around for a few minutes and an hour later there was rust forming right where the hand had been. It still happens but I think it was worse back then. Maybe people just worried about it more.

I'm not so sure there are no works of art firearms being made. Sako makes some incredibly beautiful firearms. Even way back when the real beauties were from Europe. America made some nice stuff but Europe had stuff that was just stunning back then.

I guess I don't have access to those kinds of weapons any more except maybe at the gun library at Cabelas. I still see some beautiful stuff there. I think a big difference is that that people aren't willing to pay for work of art firearms now. They dont' draw the oohs and ahhs they did when I was a kid for one thing. If you go to the gun range you really don't see too many people with super beautiful firearms for whatever reason. But I think there are still some being made. Either they aren't selling like they were or people just keep them at home. Our backyard trap range was a different thing. It was totally a family operation. No fees, no clubs, nothing - just people showing up to shoot bringing their own clays and waiting their turn. Maybe the distance people keep between each other at the range keeps them from even wanting to bring their pretty guns with them. Maybe they worry they will be stolen or even robbed at gun point. It's different when you are at someone's house and they have kids running around with eyes as big as silver dollars. Still this Sako below looks like a beauty to me. It may not have the art work done to it but it's still beautiful.

If you want more engraving etc. then this Henry might fit the bill:

These are the kinds of shotguns I saw a lot of way back when:

Last edited by Cee Zee; March 3, 2015 at 08:40 PM.
Old March 3, 2015, 08:53 PM   #22
splattergun

getting the best accuracy and precision that my old eyes, over-caffeinated hands, and limited funds can get out of my economical guns.
Old March 3, 2015, 11:18 PM   #23
shuvelrider

Pulling the trigger, that activates the "shooting" part of the equation.
Old March 3, 2015, 11:58 PM   #24
tipoc

As above the shooting part.

tipoc
Old March 4, 2015, 12:40 AM   #25
Red Wind

An excellent question.

Just looking over the lovely lines of a Smith .44 Magnum with a 5 or 6" barrel.

Walking the edge of the eastern 39 mile long length of the Everglades Trail, trying to spot a 12 foot or bigger Burmese Python carrying that Smith with shot shells.

Trekking for a week on the 37 mile trail of Utah/Arizona's Paria Canyon with a Ruger .357 Magnum GP100 on my side.

OC'ing in East Central Arizona by Springerville, Show Low ,Heber or White Apache with a Ruger .44 Blawk Hawk Hunter single action.

The endless joyful ,cool gun things almost anywhere!.