Quantcast
New wood Grips Color Mismatch - big deal or normal? - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Social Situations > General Gun Discussions

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old January 21, 2016, 03:01 AM   #1
elano

New wood Grips Color Mismatch - big deal or normal?

Is it normal for walnut grips to be mismatched in color or should I contact the seller? They are supposed to be colt but came in a regular open bag. I don't know if I'm being overly picky. I paid $32

Old January 21, 2016, 03:48 AM   #2
ColtPythonElite

I have never had a set that far off on color match.
Old January 21, 2016, 07:46 AM   #3
bannockburn

elano

Yes they definitely look mismatched in terms of their color. I had an extra set of grips for an N frame S&W that were like that; one side the wood looked to be walnut, the other side appeared to be mahogany. If it were me I would send them back.
Old January 21, 2016, 08:09 AM   #4
Reloadron
Contributing Member

No, in this case I would not be happy with them. Every set I have bought looked like a much closer match. Also, while not a big deal all grips like that are not necessarily Colt manufactured. Here is an example of a gun I messed up:

I hit the gun with a spray cleaner before removing the grips and stripped the clear coat. I went online and found the below grips. While they have the Colt little gold seal the grips are not Colt manufacture. I also paid about $30 or $35 for the grips.

Every set of grips I have ever bought were well matched. I think I got the above from Midway. Anyway, I would not be pleased with the grips you posted.

Ron
Old January 21, 2016, 08:28 AM   #5
AR-15Nutt

not normal!, for a 1911 or any other pistol/revolver.
Old January 21, 2016, 12:44 PM   #6
danez71

Assuming this is a recent issue........ I'd be disappointed and contact the seller.

I'm no tree expert but I am my own carpenter.

IMO, when looking at the grain of the wood, particularly in the diamond, it doesn't look like it's same tree or possibly a different species.

If I had to guess I would guess the one on the right looks to be walnut and the left is something else like maple.

Ask yourself, Is the goal to get more states to support the 2A or to voluntarily handover to the Anti's one state at a time?

The US was founded because people ran away and left,... However, the Constitution came to be because we STOPPED RUNNING AND FOUGHT for our Rights.
Old January 21, 2016, 01:27 PM   #7
Old Fuff

As they say, "Today anything goes." In the past what you have wouldn't likely be seen. I would either send them back for replacement, or strip the finish off the light one, stain it darker to match the other side, and refinish it.

But I would only go to the second option if the seller wouldn't make an exchange, and remember the outcome the next time I had to order anything.
Old January 21, 2016, 01:30 PM   #8
bannockburn

danez71

That's kind of what I was thinking too; two different species of wood with maybe even a different stain used on each grip.
Old January 21, 2016, 01:33 PM   #9
Sunray

Gigantic pictures of grips made from two different woods. I think, the lighter colour might be birch, but that's just a WHAG. Could be maple.
Either way that isn't a set of grips. $32 is pricey for mismatched grips. Herrett wants $38.95 for a BNIB set in walnut.
Old January 21, 2016, 01:47 PM   #10
jmr40

Both are walnut. There is no reason to believe they didn't come from the same tree. In fact they could have been cut from the same board just a few inches apart.

There are no 2 pieces of wood exactly alike. That is just the nature of wood. If it bothers you that they don't match then pick out some that are closer.

I'm having trouble with photobucket at this time but have some photos of a china cabinet I built years ago from walnut. All the wood came from the same tree, many pieces cut from the same board and you can see greater differences than that.

I chose not to stain the wood and used only a clear coat. There are light and dark streaks in the wood, but it adds to the character to me. I could have stained the whole thing much darker and the differences wouldn't have been as apparent. But that isn't the look I wanted.

When Photobucket decides to cooperate I'll add the photos later.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth
Old January 21, 2016, 01:52 PM   #11
jmr40

The photos.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth
Old January 21, 2016, 01:55 PM   #12
Old Fuff

Years ago S&W would take a thick block of wood, saw it through the middle to make 2 slabs, and then make each slab into a right and left stock panel. The color usually matched and the grain, as seen from the butt, did too.

Of course this sort of attention to detail is long gone, except possibly some very expensive custom stock makers.
Old January 21, 2016, 02:04 PM   #13
Drail

Yup. Those were the days. Craftsmanship. I don't think that those are actual Colt grips. They look like "gun show specials" to me. The "checkering" looks stamped - not cut. If they charged $32 for those - you've been had. If you want nice grips for the money - look at Kim Ahrends.
Old January 21, 2016, 02:07 PM   #14
danez71

Jmr40

I agree about how much difference there can be in the same tree...branch... and even milled board.

I recently built a large redwood table for the patio. The red/blonde streaking in some of the individual boards is very dramatic.

Looking at your pics, the graining is similar. I wouldn't suspect different species or trees looking at your pics.

The graining is so different on the grips it would have to of been cut from 2 different planes/axis if it came from the same piece of wood. (Imo)

I'm thinking birch is as good a guess as maple. Maple tends to be whiter than birch and I could see that color coming from birch easier than maple.... again... just based on my own diy carpentry experience

Eta: Nice work on the cabinet. Better than I.

Ask yourself, Is the goal to get more states to support the 2A or to voluntarily handover to the Anti's one state at a time?

The US was founded because people ran away and left,... However, the Constitution came to be because we STOPPED RUNNING AND FOUGHT for our Rights.
Old January 21, 2016, 02:15 PM   #15
elano

Thanks yall! I contacted the company I bought from. I'm totally okay with character but this seemed more like alternate personalities i just wasn't sure if I was expecting too much.
Old January 21, 2016, 02:51 PM   #16
Reloadron
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elano View Post
Thanks yall! I contacted the company I bought from. I'm totally okay with character but this seemed more like alternate personalities i just wasn't sure if I was expecting too much.
While I totally agree with jmr40 as to the wood, as I mentioned earlier, if they were my grips they would be going back. Barring a return for some reason I would get out the stain and do some refinishing. A small difference I could live with but looking at the pictures that is a pretty stark contrast.

@jmr40, nice hutch, real nice. My dad was great at wood and making beautiful furniture, heck, I could not make a box let alone furniture.

Ron
Old January 21, 2016, 08:44 PM   #17
25-5

One of three pairs I got from Ahrends. Slight difference, but totally acceptable. The other two sets are a real close match,
[IMG][/IMG]
Old January 21, 2016, 10:22 PM   #18
elano

Those are nice grips! To me it looked like mine were two different types of wood though i understand how wood has different colors. I was pretty obsessed with woodshop and furniture building in high school and have some projects where wood is different.

Anyway the company emailed me back and said they will check their warehouse tomorrow for a matching set and get back to me hopefully they will.
Old January 21, 2016, 10:47 PM   #19
jerkface11

I like the light one better.
we can work together to enact commonsense improvements—like reinstating the assault weapons ban and closing the gun show loophole—so that guns do not fall into the hands of those irresponsible, law-breaking few. DNC party patform.
Old January 21, 2016, 10:55 PM   #20
Bula

Not good. Looks like two different species of wood. One mahogany and the other, maybe walnut? I'd raise stink.
Old January 21, 2016, 11:31 PM   #21
sappyg

Clearly two different species IMO. Hard to tell which but the panel on the left looks looks like a sapelle mahogany and the the panel on the right looks like oak.

I'm curious what wood was advertised if any.

Edit... Walnut.... Meh. I don't think so..
Old January 21, 2016, 11:35 PM   #22
tarosean

I would be unhappy receiving those.
Old January 22, 2016, 11:08 AM   #23
HoosierQ

I would have to say that's probably from two different pieces of wood. If not that, it seems that little effort was made to match.

You have to expects some variation but I agree, that's too far off if you are making a pretty gun. FWIW, those will be on opposite sides of the gun and once you put them on, you'll never see them side by side again.
Old January 22, 2016, 11:18 AM   #24
Drail

They are quite simply just cheap quality grips being marketed as something more. Look at the "checkering". They were never intended to be considered "matched". Gun show specials.
Old January 22, 2016, 11:57 AM   #25
ZWCoffindaffer

I sell custom wood trim and doors for a living. It is COMPLETELY normal for walnut itself to have runs that go from bleach white to almost black. However, with it being such a small amount used in making the grips for a gun, I find it a little disappointing they couldnt cull out the light piece and use a darker one to match. Most people think dark/rich brown when they think walnut.