Quantcast
famous developers of firearms and ammunition - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Social Situations > General Gun Discussions

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old January 8, 2015, 09:30 PM   #1
IlikeSA

famous developers of firearms and ammunition

Keith, Taylor, Wesson, McGivern: all of these are names from the past of whom most of us have heard.

Who should we be reading, training with, or youtubing in modern times? Who is impacting firearms, load development, bullet design, and tactics now? I have a few ideas but wanted to see what everyone thought.

Last edited by IlikeSA; January 8, 2015 at 09:38 PM.
Old January 9, 2015, 08:01 AM   #2
19-3Ben

Kelgren comes to mind.
Old January 9, 2015, 12:55 PM   #3
Thermactor
Contributing Member

John Rowland
edit:
'Johnny' Rowland, not the politician.

Last edited by Thermactor; January 9, 2015 at 01:04 PM.
Old January 9, 2015, 12:59 PM   #4
tuj

Ed Masaki on 1911's

Stan Chen on ammunition, both match and defensive loads
Old January 9, 2015, 01:00 PM   #5
Dframe

P.O. Ackley
Old January 9, 2015, 01:27 PM   #6
Rembrandt

Arne Boberg......has mastered the most innovative firearm action since the gas operated rotating bolt design. Click below to see:

http://community.bobergarms.com/phot...context=latest

http://community.bobergarms.com/vide...pending-feed-1
Old January 9, 2015, 07:40 PM   #7
IlikeSA

Thanks for the replies! Definitely some new ones there I have not heard of. For my list I put John Linebaugh (ammo and revolver development), Patrick Sweeney (good gun author, many books), Gary Miculek (the man knows revolvers and revolver shooting, as well as general shooting) and Alan Gura for legal and historical research.
Old January 9, 2015, 07:45 PM   #8
armarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlikeSA View Post
... Gary Miculek (the man knows revolvers and revolver shooting, as well as general shooting)...
Jerry Miculek
Old January 9, 2015, 10:01 PM   #9
Red Wind

Hornady Ammo and Weatherby Rifles come to mind.
Old January 9, 2015, 10:17 PM   #10
WestKentucky

John Browning WAS firearms technology personified, but that was in a different time. Now you have guys like George Kelgren dreaming up crazy guns, and guys like Ken waters and JD Jones making odd rounds. Gun tech is kinda stale though, military weaponry typically drives innovation but in most of the world civilians can't have those weapons, and in the rest of the world they can't afford them. The most modern, highest tech stuff around is probably bull pup guns like the keltec RFB and KSG or the ultra-compact rifles like the sub2000. The biggest sellers are AR rifles (1960s tech) and plastic pistols (1980s tech) with pump shotguns following that (1890s tech) and 1911 style pistols (1910 tech). Why would people innovate in something that military will procure with small profit margins and the same not be civilian marketable (glock full auto, full auto bullpup rifles) and current tech is so cheap in a flooded market? I wish at times the days of John brown were not over, and that I could experience it first hand.
Spellchecker and autocorrect is ran by anti-gun people who think that a "hi-point" should be "hip ointment" and a "parabellum" is a "parable lump" and so forth. Please excuse idiotic things that the electronics think I said that I never said. http://www.damnyouautocorrect.com/
Old January 12, 2015, 03:18 PM   #11
ConstitutionCowboy

Mas Ayoob.
Old January 14, 2015, 02:37 AM   #12
WVGunman

Gaston Glock has had a greater impact on the civilian firearms market than ANYONE since Browning. The difference is, Glock's influence is much more narrow, and pretty much confined to one type of gun/action. Browning designed every type of weapon, from pocket pistols to heavy machine guns. I doubt we'll ever see another Browning. The firearms market and technology have changed too much (see Gaston Glock, above!) for one person to be so prolific across the board.
Old January 14, 2015, 02:48 AM   #13
WVGunman

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestKentucky View Post
Gun tech is kinda stale though, military weaponry typically drives innovation but in most of the world civilians can't have those weapons, and in the rest of the world they can't afford them. The most modern, highest tech stuff around is probably bull pup guns like the keltec RFB and KSG or the ultra-compact rifles like the sub2000. The biggest sellers are AR rifles (1960s tech) and plastic pistols (1980s tech) with pump shotguns following that (1890s tech) and 1911 style pistols (1910 tech). Why would people innovate in something that military will procure with small profit margins and the same not be civilian marketable (glock full auto, full auto bullpup rifles) and current tech is so cheap in a flooded market?
I'm with you on this point, but it doesn't mean we'll never have innovation again. From the time the flintlock was invented in the late 1600s to around 1850, guns were all pretty much the same. Then, BOOM: 40 years after that you had machine guns firing cartridge ammunition. It might take a long time, but change can happen fast when it does.
I personally believe that scarcity and expense of ammunition components will someday make caseless ammunition a practical reality. Brass will never get cheaper, and no one likes aluminum. Imagine caseless propellant pieces you can put together like Legos, to make them more or less powerful. Another possibility is a weapon that uses a squirt of liquid fuel ignited by a spark to propel a bullet, like a piston in an engine block. But the brass-cased, self-contained ammo we have now will have to stop being so practical and cheap before we have something else.
Old January 14, 2015, 06:15 PM   #14
Bezoar

the man or men who decided to stop making straight rifiling for fouling control, and put a TWIST into it. Thems the genius.
Old January 14, 2015, 06:26 PM   #15
tark

For tactics, Clint Smith jumps out in my mind. For knowledge based on actual experience, Mike Venturino, Charlie Petty, Mas Ayoob and most of the rest of the staff at Handgunner magazine rank right up there with Clint.

I will not mention names, but there are a lot of writers out there that make me wonder if they have ever even HANDLED some of the guns they write about. One wrote up the 1897 Winchester trench gun in one of the recent Surplus Guns mags. He said, along with a picture, that the bolt/action release button was on the lower left side of the receiver. It's on the right side of the receiver, Leroy. Oops, sorry about that. He also stated that you could release the bolt by pushing FORWARD on the slide handle. Not on my 1897 you can't.

In a current issue of the same magazine a number of subguns are discussed. Each is listed with it's magazine capacity " plus 1." Of course they all fire from the open bolt. Someone want to tell me how that "plus one" thing works?

Then there are the ones who simply parrot what they have always read, simply because they have....well...always read it! They have been reading it forever so it must be true...right?

Case in point; 7.62X25 Tokarev ammo is loaded hotter (and by that I mean more pressure) than 7.63 ammo. No it isn't. For starters look in any old Cartridges of the World book. The Mauser is listed at 1410FPS and the Tok round at 1390. Same bullet weight. The Mauser hat a one inch longer barrel. Sounds like the same load to me. When the Soviets copied the round they copied it exactly. With modern powders the velocities of both can be significantly increased, Winchester white box 7.62X25 achieves 1645 FPS, but it is loaded to no higher pressures than it was in the old days.

The myth probably started when the 7.62X25 suddenly became very popular a few years back, somebody noticed the above increase in velocity and just assumed it was loaded hotter. All I know is that I have a shooter grade Broomhandle with Wolff springs in it that Just passed 4000 rounds of surplus and newer Tokarev ammo and it shows absolutely no signs of distress

Before you believe any gun writer's prose, do a little checking into his credentials.
Old January 16, 2015, 01:09 AM   #16
SigP229R

Samuel Colt
Old January 16, 2015, 09:02 AM   #17
FLNT4EVR

Elmer Kieth 357 ,AND 44 MAGNUM
Old January 16, 2015, 09:43 AM   #18
19-3Ben

Quote:
Samuel Colt
OP specified "modern times."

Quote:
Elmer Kieth 357 ,AND 44 MAGNUM
And he even listed Elmer Keith as an example of the older generation.
Old January 16, 2015, 02:30 PM   #19
DPris

Nut'nfancy.
Last word on guns, drives the entire industry forward.
Denis
Old January 16, 2015, 02:35 PM   #20
Thermactor
Contributing Member

Not a fan of nutnfancy.. at all
Old January 16, 2015, 03:10 PM   #21
DPris

Dude, you totally gotta get with the POU!
Denis
Old January 16, 2015, 03:15 PM   #22
tarosean

^ I really hope you're being facetious....
Old January 16, 2015, 03:30 PM   #23
hq

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVGunman View Post
Gaston Glock has had a greater impact on the civilian firearms market than ANYONE since Browning.
Gaston Glock has always been a great marketer and an extremely tough businessman. He didn't invent anything, only combined a number of earlier, lesser-known designs in a then-new polymer frame and had the mechanism perfected for reliability. Developer... maybe, in a loose sense of the word.
Old January 16, 2015, 03:56 PM   #24
DPris

One can, in these trying times, never be too serious about Nut'nfancy.
Truly, a prophet in his own land.
Denis
Old January 16, 2015, 05:13 PM   #25
stchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConstitutionCowboy View Post
Mas Ayoob.
Massad Ayoob is neither a firearm or ammunition developer/designer.