Quantcast
video surveillance at range: good idea? - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Social Situations > General Gun Discussions

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old Yesterday, 07:39 PM   #1
twofifty

video surveillance at range: good idea?

I'd like to find out what works and what doesn't when it comes to a video strategy to reduce vandalism and littering at un-supervised non-gated outdoor range.

Our private club is looking at installing a high-tech video recording system. Due to the nature of the land gating and secure fencing are not an option, nor is having an on-site RO.
Though non-gated & unsupervised, the range is clearly signed as being open to members only (private land that we lease).

The police have said they will use our recordings to investigate any incidents.

This will be a high-def system, so license plates and faces will be clearly recognizable. There will be 3 cameras rolling, all caching the input offsite in real time. The software will allow the recordings to be automatically scanned to id the exact time when, for example, a bullet hole appears in a sign or glass bottles are destroyed. Then it's just a matter of examining the footage just prior to see who was on site.

I hope to find out if your range's video recording system solved more problems than it created. Any experiences, good or bad? Any tips?

Last edited by twofifty; Yesterday at 08:46 PM.
Old Today, 08:20 AM   #2
Ryanxia

I can't speak to any experience with them but I would point out as a member of a private range I would no longer be a member if the decision was made to record everything. Americans get enough surveillance as it is.

Is there another location you can be at that allows a gate? Recording events might help identify who did the deed but it doesn't prevent the vandalism. And as soon as people up to no good realize there are cameras I would think it would be a simple enough activity to wear a hoodie.

Just my thoughts I figured I'd throw in there.

Join NRA Today!

Takes 2 minutes to donate to NRA-ILA https://www.nraila.org/get-involved-...re/donate.aspx
Bloomberg is spending, we can too. Every little bit helps.
Old Today, 08:28 AM   #3
Kleanbore

Excellent Idea

Not only to address vandalism, theft, and dumping, but also to help in determining responsibility for errant shots that leave the area.

From the liability standpoint, that can be critical.
Old Today, 08:30 AM   #4
clamman

Twofifty you have a PM
Old Today, 08:38 AM   #5
Sam1911

We did that at our range a few years ago and it is a remarkably effective way of stopping bad, dangerous, and destructive behavior.

A lot of clubs I shoot at have started installing systems like this, and it's funny how even good-ol'-boy club officers sometimes get discovered treating club property like it's theirs (or rather, their mother-in-law's ).

No body likes surveillance. Even fewer like everyone being punished/blamed for the jackass actions of one or two bad apples. When the club Board calls a member in for a chat and pulls up the video of them shooting up the range signs or pointing a gun at someone, everyone kind of goes, "Oh...I get it."

There's some very good reasons for resisting the government's surveillance. With a private shooting range/club it is simply a matter of accountability for your actions, accountability to your club mates.

"...with liberty and justice for all." (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states.)
-D. Stanhope

Sights Practical Shooters -- IDPA

My Knife Showroom

Last edited by Sam1911; Today at 08:47 AM.
Old Today, 08:44 AM   #6
Sam1911

To add to this, we also now have RFID key cards for opening the range gate, and clubhouse and indoor range doors. Instead of having to keep track of a key, just slap your wallet against the box and the door unlocks.

And...when the fire department gets called on a Wed. night because someone set the range on fire with tracers, it doesn't take but 5 minutes to find 2-3 folks who either did it, or probably saw who else was there.

"...with liberty and justice for all." (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states.)
-D. Stanhope

My Knife Showroom
Old Today, 09:02 AM   #7
AlexanderA

The cameras themselves will become targets for vandalism and theft. How are you going to hide them while still having them in locations to make useful recordings?
Old Today, 09:08 AM   #8
Sam1911

Quote:
The cameras themselves will become targets for vandalism and theft. How are you going to hide them while still having them in locations to make useful recordings?
You don't have to hide them. In fact, you shouldn't. (Or at least not all of them.)

None of these systems records on media stored inside the camera any more. So if some dude steals the camera, the club president will have a beautiful full-color video of the bright guy who stole it or damaged it right on his laptop at home (or wherever the signal is sent to).

Our club president can get a phone call from the range from someone who wants to report damage and check out the video record without leaving his house. And can check the key card swipes to see who's been there that day, to match a face with a name.

(We have about 1,500+ member families so he doesn't know everyone on sight.)

-D. Stanhope

My Knife Showroom
Old Today, 09:16 AM   #9
thefish

Good idea. If your range is going to do this themselves, I can provide you some links to the survaliance systems we use. You will most likely want explosion proof enclosures, as well as ir for night vision unless the range is well lit at night. The easiest way to do cams like this if youndont have wiring in place already is an ip system with Poe, you will however need a solid business class or enterprise grade network.
Old Today, 09:16 AM   #10
BSA1

Sounds a bit on the expensive side but with todays high-tech stuff very doable.

However I am puzzled as to why fencing and gating is not possible. We run a lot fence over all sorts of terrain with T-Posts and barbed wire.