Quantcast
Glock goes mainstream with tv commercial - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Social Situations > General Gun Discussions

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old July 24, 2015, 06:16 PM   #1
TomJ

Glock goes mainstream with tv commercial

I was watching last week's episode of Tyrant, a show on FX when I was surprised to see a commercial for Glock. Up until now, the only advertising I've seen for anything gun related have been tv commercials on channels such as the Outdoor Channel or print ads in gun magazines, where they primarily target current gun owners. There's a percentage of the population who are not gun owners, but are not anti's either. They've simply never thought about owning a gun. Advertising on more "mainstream" channels is a fantastic way to normalize gun ownership to this segment of the population. I hope this catches on among manufacturers as this normalization of gun ownership is a great way to counter the anti's and their portrayal of us being out on the fringe.

Last edited by TomJ; July 24, 2015 at 06:22 PM.
Old July 24, 2015, 06:26 PM   #2
DeepSouth
Contributing Member

That's good to hear. I've often wondered why gun manufacturers don't advertise like nearly every other industry. They certainly have potential to tap a very large market of potential first time buyers.
Old July 24, 2015, 06:44 PM   #3
Sol

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepSouth View Post
That's good to hear. I've often wondered why gun manufacturers don't advertise like nearly every other industry. They certainly have potential to tap a very large market of potential first time buyers.
Many advertising companies won't pander to that particular product.

Anyways, that's pretty cool.

You gotta appreciate the marketing nuances of putting that specific product advertisement on that specific show.
Old July 24, 2015, 06:53 PM   #4
oneounceload

Been on TV in my area for well over a month or two. I have seen Henry rifles on regular channels as well.

"When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty."
Thomas Jefferson
Old July 24, 2015, 08:38 PM   #5
Old Fuff

Back before the Second World War, Colt had advertisements in the National Geographic! Also rifle and shotgun advertisements were not uncommon in the mainstream media.

You are unlikely to see this sort of thing today because most "big media" is located in large urban areas, and strongly supportive of Leftist agendas.
Old July 24, 2015, 10:09 PM   #6
mboe794

I agree with Sol. Gun ads on TV are probably not common due to the wishes of the networks executives and/or sponsor agreements, and who knows what other kinds of bureaucratic crap. Even if it may be profitable, I'd guess that they are too worried about offending somebody these days.

On outdoors type channels it works. Anything else, probably not.
Old July 24, 2015, 10:32 PM   #7
SSN Vet

free speech takes a small step forward

Maine Constitution Article 1, Section 16. To keep and bear arms.
Every citizen has a right to keep and bear arms and this right shall never be questioned.
Old July 25, 2015, 12:14 AM   #8
Nar

I think it was a local news channel but here in NH it is not uncommon to see and add for Sig Academe.
Old July 25, 2015, 12:26 AM   #9
ivankerley

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneounceload View Post
Been on TV in my area for well over a month or two. I have seen Henry rifles on regular channels as well.
my old man gifted me a henry a few years ago cause he kept seeing commercials for them...
neat little rifle, advertising win for me ;-)
gene
Old July 25, 2015, 12:57 AM   #10
Fast Frank

These were a couple years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQHWTfFV3Vc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RNcFs-JwOQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsVCHE7ayPE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTiLkkMCMQ4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzb7SLsFwtE

Glock isn't afraid to advertise.

Last edited by Fast Frank; July 25, 2015 at 01:03 AM.
Old July 26, 2015, 09:36 AM   #11
Tirod

I see local gun stores advertising in the newspaper frequently and have for years. What I don't see is them buying space in mass media where the actual sales per consumer reached is so low it's infinitesimal. Gun marketers learned long ago to focus their approach and get results.

Few gun ads in Readers Digest or the health watch inserts in the paper. They spend money in the sports section where men are more likely to be reading.

Same on TV. It's money wasted buying a plug during the news - at the national level the pharmaceutical makers have pandered to rising ad rates so much they have the upper hand.

Frankly, Im not sure I want "mainstream" attention. Automobiles get that and the result is anybody who can pass the license exam can get behind the wheel of a car. The average "reasonable" citizen murders more people thru neglect behind the wheel than gun owners. No sense enlisting even more of them. They might decide to show up at a recruiting station as a gun rights and national pride demonstration and have the gun go off in a show and tell session out front.

But that won't happen.
Old July 27, 2015, 04:47 AM   #12
JohnBiltz

Henry has been advertising on the NFL Channel for a couple of years. Which I thought was strange because they killed a gun advertisement for the Super Bowl.
Old July 27, 2015, 03:42 PM   #13
230RN
Contributing Member

Old Fuff said
Quote:
You are unlikely to see this sort of thing today because most "big media" is located in large urban areas, and strongly supportive of Leftist agendas.
mboe794 remarked
Quote:
I agree with Sol. Gun ads on TV are probably not common due to the wishes of the networks executives and/or sponsor agreements, and who knows what other kinds of bureaucratic crap. Even if it may be profitable, I'd guess that they are too worried about offending somebody these days.
I asked the NRA about advertising a couple of years ago and their response was that the MSM usually does not take firearms-related advertising.

I've suggested several times that possibly the best way for gun companies and organizations to get their messages out there would be to advertise in the many local weekly papers. They're always hungry for ad dollars and are less likely to have an anti-firearms company policy. Another option would be small-scale advertising on the many digital over the air (OTA) subchannel TV stations, where the situation is similar.

I do see ads on OTA stations around here for the larger gun shows about the third week of every month, and I've seen small ads for concealed carry classes in the small local weekly/monthly shopper's papers.

But it's hard to counter the well-organized and well-financed demonstrations and social media frenzies every time there's an incident. That gives the hyper leftists plenty of free "coverage."

After all, it's not "news" when billions of rounds are fired every year without negative consequences of any kind. "If it doesn't bleed, it doesn't lead."

Terry, 230RN

Last edited by 230RN; July 27, 2015 at 03:52 PM.
Old July 28, 2015, 10:56 PM   #14
sequins

That "somebody picked the wrong girl" ad is so compelling I'm going to share that with others when firearms related subjects come up. I've been asked why I carry and while my own personal experiences are credible I'm a tall white guy and it's just not the same level of resonance as what is implied in that advertisement. That's powerful stuff!
Old July 29, 2015, 12:22 AM   #15
Fast Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequins
That "somebody picked the wrong girl" ad is so compelling
Yes, it is powerful.

It resonates with "Gun People" because we see the pretty young girl totally able to dominate the Wicked Evil Mean and Nasty bad guy, and we say "Yes! That's how it's supposed to be!".

To the gun grabbers, however, it's just not possible to imagine that poor girl doing anything but being a poster child for every blond joke ever told, and shooting herself in the foot before being raped, robbed, and providing said bad guy with a gun.

It's sad. Those very same folks would be all up in arms if I said anything that even remotely suggested something negative about her, but THEY are doing exactly that "For Her Own Good".

That's O.K.

I will continue to call them out for what they are doing, and hope that someday they learn how to accept the world for what it is.
Old July 29, 2015, 01:19 AM   #16
sequins

I just love the idea of a girl microwaving some popcorn and grabbing her glock because she saw the same car circle past her window twice, just in case. I think women run the world, just not officially, and ads like that are going to really resonate with them. That's almost as incredible of an ad as the girl holding a daisy when the nuclear bomb goes off. It's just everything right out there, you can't escape it emotionally.
Old July 30, 2015, 03:22 PM   #17
Sheepdog1968

One of the AR manufacturers (stag or Daniel defense I think). Made an ad to air on the Super Bowl a couple of years ago. the network wouldn't air it. Was a well done quality ad. Very little focus on the rifle. Mostly focused on a man's duty to country and then wanting to,take care of his duty to protect family.
Old August 26, 2015, 06:43 PM   #18
MacTech

The only thing that'd make the ad better would be her slapping in a Glock 33 round mag and standing ready when the door is breached....

The scumbag would be staring down the muzzle of the gun and notice the long magazine protruding from the magwell...
Old August 26, 2015, 09:36 PM   #19
oneounceload

Quote:
The only thing that'd make the ad better would be her slapping in a Glock 33 round mag and standing ready when the door is breached....

The scumbag would be staring down the muzzle of the gun and notice the long magazine protruding from the magwell...
Especially if the barrel was this one:

"When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty."
Thomas Jefferson
Old August 27, 2015, 12:51 AM   #20
TruthTellers

The only gun commercials I have seen on tv have been the Henry Arms on Fox News and a Glock 42 on Syfy after 10 PM.

Honestly, I think a better advertising campaign is to just pay The Walking Dead show money to have one of the characters trump up a gun. Imagine if Morgan found a KSG and started using that and constantly saying some generic one liner like, "KSG is short for Kills Stupid Guys."

You would never see a KSG in a gun store again.