Quantcast
FL CCW in New Orleans/Baton Rouge - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Social Situations > General Gun Discussions

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old September 27, 2014, 08:46 AM   #1
Redlg155

FL CCW in New Orleans/Baton Rouge

My wife and I are headed to Baton Rouge and New Orleans this weekend. I know that LA is a reciprocal state, but are there any local restrictions in New Orleans or Baton Rouge?

also where can i get some good cracklins while en route to Baton Rouge?
Old September 27, 2014, 11:32 AM   #2
RustyShackelford

Florida CCW.....

Id check www.handgunlaw.us . It's free & a good resource. Check it often if you travel a lot because they change the statues/laws/ordinances often.
You may also want to see: www.floridafirearmslaw.com www.gunlawguide.com www.mylicensesite.com .
I'm not aware of any special laws or city ordinances in New Orleans LA.
As for the pork "cracklings" I'm not sure.

Andre Agassi
Old September 27, 2014, 03:20 PM   #3
Red Wind

Enjoy New Orleans. It is wonderful. You are good to go with the Florida CCW. Just watch out for the insidious 1000 foot GFSZ's. In lovely Baton Rouge, the same.

Go LSU!

The Crescent City at night.
Old September 27, 2014, 03:57 PM   #4
Derry 1946

Here's a link to the Louisiana State Police website. It will cite the prohibited locations. In August, a new law went into effect allowing CCWs in restaurants that serve alcohol. Enjoy your visit, but stay on the beaten path. New Orleans has a lot of robberies, random shootings, and carjackings. Tourists are a prime target. I live here, and travel armed everywhere that's legal. That said, the town has much to offer. My favorite is the WWII Museum. For a neat restaurant, try Patois. Laissez les bons temps rouler!

http://www.lsp.org/handguns.html#prohibited
Old September 27, 2014, 04:28 PM   #5
lxd55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derry 1946 View Post
Here's a link to the Louisiana State Police website. It will cite the prohibited locations. In August, a new law went into effect allowing CCWs in restaurants that serve alcohol. Enjoy your visit, but stay on the beaten path. New Orleans has a lot of robberies, random shootings, and carjackings. Tourists are a prime target. I live here, and travel armed everywhere that's legal. That said, the town has much to offer. My favorite is the WWII Museum. For a neat restaurant, try Patois. Laissez les bons temps rouler!

http://www.lsp.org/handguns.html#prohibited
wow sounds like you could work on your handgun practice on moving targets and if La's law is like Ga. law, yes you can go into a place that sell booze but you cannot drink booze.
Old September 27, 2014, 05:25 PM   #6
Red Wind

Yep. And you gotta notify the Officer you are carrying if stopped on official business. Only 9 states have this rule.

Also, to to enter a business or residence you gotta notify the occupant and ask permission to enter if you are packing.

Only 3 other states have this archaic rule: Alaska,Arkansas and South Carolina ,TMK.

So, tread carefully in the Pelican State!
Old September 27, 2014, 05:51 PM   #7
Red Wind

Addendum. Interpret as you may for Louisiana:

Quote:
The provisions of R.S. 40:1379.3 (N) shall not limit the right of a property
owner, lessee, or other lawful

custodian to prohibit or restrict access of those persons possessing a concealed handgun pursuant to a permit
issued under this Section. No individual to whom a concealed handgun permit is issued may carry such
concealed handgun
into the private residence of another without first receiving the consent of that person

Last edited by Red Wind; September 27, 2014 at 05:57 PM.
Old September 27, 2014, 07:14 PM   #8
Derry 1946

Here are some details on prohibited locations:

A law enforcement office, station, or building;
A detention facility, prison, or jail;
A courthouse or courtroom, provided that a judge may carry such a weapon in his own courtroom;
A polling place;
A meeting place of the governing authority of a political subdivision;
The state capitol building;
Any portion of an airport facility where the carrying of firearms is prohibited under federal law, except that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal, if the firearm is encased for shipment, for the purpose of checking such firearm as lawful baggage;
Any church, synagogue, mosque or similar place of worship; See RS 40:1379.3 (U)
A parade or demonstration for which a permit is issued by a governmental entity;
Any portion of the permitted area of an establishment that has been granted a Class A-General retail permit, as defined in Part II of Chapter 1 or Part II of Chapter 2 of Title 26 of the Louisiana Revised Statutes of 1950, to sell alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises.
Any school "firearm free zone" as defined in R.S. 14:95.6.
The provisions of R.S. 40:1379.3 (N) shall not limit the right of a property owner, lessee, or other lawful custodian to prohibit or restrict access of those persons possessing a concealed handgun pursuant to a permit issued under this Section. No individual to whom a concealed handgun permit is issued may carry such concealed handgun into the private residence of another without first receiving the consent of that person.

DUTIES OF PERMITTEES
The permit shall be retained by the permittee who shall immediately produce it upon the request of any law enforcement officer. Anyone who fails to do so shall be fined not more than one hundred dollars. Additionally, when any peace officer approaches a permittee in an official manner or with an identified purpose, the permittee shall:
Notify the officer that he has a weapon on his person;
Submit to a pat down;
Allow the officer to temporarily disarm him.
A permittee may not carry and conceal a handgun while under the influence of alcohol or a controlled dangerous substance (CDS) as defined in R.S. 40:961 and 964. For purposes of the concealed handgun law, a permittee is considered under the influence of alcohol when a blood alcohol reading of .05% or greater by weight of alcohol in the blood is obtained, or a blood or urine test shows any confirmed presence of a CDS.
The permit to carry a concealed handgun shall be revoked by the deputy secretary when the permittee is carrying and concealing a handgun under any of the following circumstances:
The blood alcohol reading of the permittee is .05% or greater by weight of alcohol in the blood;
The permittee's blood test or urine test shows the confirmed presence of a CDS as defined in R.S. 40:961 and 964;
The permittee refuses to submit to a department certified chemical test when requested to do so by a law enforcement officer.
R.S. 40:1379.3(L) provides that anyone who carries and conceals a handgun in violation of any provision of this Section, unless authorized to do so by another provision of the law, shall be fined not more than five hundred dollars, or imprisoned for not more than six months, or both.
Old September 27, 2014, 07:32 PM   #9
Red Wind

^Yeah. It's an ordeal. This guy has "The Big Easy".

Old September 27, 2014, 09:14 PM   #10
Derry 1946

:-)
Old September 28, 2014, 08:30 AM   #11
Redlg155

Thanks for all of the replies! I am in Baton Rouge as I type.

Headed to the family worship center for services and then to catch some local attractions. I will say that the Walmart "Neighborhood Market" can be interesting at 11:30 PM. It could have been better named sans the "Neighbor"! Glad I was carrying.

I'm sure to see some great sights today with my wife and enjoy our mini trip.
Old September 28, 2014, 01:13 PM   #12
RustyShackelford

French Quarter....

I saw a few recent pics on Instagram from last Fri night(800pm to 1100pm) of New Orleans/French Quarter. The tourist areas & streets seemed almost deserted .
I never went to LA. I heard a lot of good things. I also heard from several sources post-Katrina(08/2005) the city is about 60% of what it was in terms of population. The tourists came back but the hurricane damage(then later the big BP oil spill mess in 2010 ) really changed New Orleans.

I'm mad that I didn't go to visit the city in 2004 when I had a chance.

Andre Agassi
Old September 28, 2014, 01:35 PM   #13
Derry 1946

Hi, Rusty. No need for regrets. The city is in much better shape now in many respects than it was before Katrina. The French Quarter is alive and well, and the restaurants that have survived are better than ever, the new ones are great (and now we can carry in them ), and the movie industry is strong. The WWII Museum has an amazing new display (Freedom Pavillion) that's well worth the trip by itself. Come on down!
Old September 28, 2014, 02:15 PM   #14
RustyShackelford

Film...

Thanks!
I knew the LA film industry was booming, .
Many new film-TV projects are now made in The Big Easy.

Except for Sons of Guns but that's a long, sad story.

Andre Agassi
Old September 28, 2014, 02:40 PM   #15
CB900F

Fella's;

Just a little clarification please. May I presume that GFSZ's refers to "Gun Free School Zone"? Is that local, state, or national law? If it's national, I know for a fact that LEO's in Montana ignore it. Too many city streets violate the concept for enforcement to be practical.

900F
Old September 28, 2014, 03:01 PM   #16
Red Wind

Quote:
Is that local, state, or national law?
It's national. You have to have a carry permit from the state that you are in to get around it per the BATFE.Reciprocity does not apply. So, when in Louisiana, you need a LA permit.

SCOTUS knocked it out in 1995 with Lopez vs USA. Then Congress re-instated it in 1996 under the Commerce Clause.

It's almost impossible to enforce as said. It almost certainly would have to be a Federal bust. Never head of a case yet, although something might be out there.
Old September 28, 2014, 03:05 PM   #17
RustyShackelford

Old high school....

In 11/2013 I was on a extended trip to my old town. I visited my old high school(at night, when it was closed, 700-730pm). I was open carrying my M&P Compact .45acp in my SERPA holster. While looking at the new buildings, I then realized I may be in a "gun free school zone" .

Rusty

Andre Agassi
Old September 28, 2014, 03:56 PM   #18
Derry 1946

CB900F: It's illegal in Louisiana to carry within 1,000' of a school zone, i.e., the campus and buildings of any public or private school, under Louisiana law. See list above. There's an exception for your home and car.
Old September 28, 2014, 04:16 PM   #19
sigman2
Contributing Member

Stay within the tourist areas in the city proper and you should have no problems.
Beware of Armstrong Park unless in groups... there's a project near it.
http://www.neworleansonline.com/dire...ocationID=1341
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iberville_Projects

Avoid the cemeteries unless in a group.
The suburb of Metairie is very safe and has many fine restaurants.

http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel...ns-TG-C-1.html

New Orleans is where to eat!
I suggest trying Mandina's Restaurant at 3800 Canal St. for a good sampling of local food.
Another great one is Willie Mae's Scotch House for the best fried chicken ever.
Old September 28, 2014, 10:47 PM   #20
RustyShackelford

Media article on Buergdons Bodin Port Allen LA.....

Today I saw a news story about a restaurant near Baton Rouge LA/Port Allen called Burgedon's Boudin(check spelling).
The owner/CEO offers any CCW holder or gun owner, with a firearm to get a 10% discount.
The owner said he saw so many anti-gun restaurant & store media stories he wanted to welcome gun & CCW license holders.
Note; the restaurant is closed on Sundays.
If you stop by Port Allen, drop in & give this small business a visit.

They may even have pork cracklings, .

Rusty

Andre Agassi
Old Yesterday, 05:20 PM   #21
Redlg155

AFTER ACTION REPORT..

We had a great time! We were more comfortable with Baton Rouge than N.O. I would definitely suggest Tony's Seafood Market in Baton Rouge. I had some excellent crawfish boudin. The free swimming catfish are neat and the lunch counter had about 12 workers dishing out both conventional and Cajun specialties.

New Orleans was interesting and although there are lots of homeless, they generally leave you alone after the power of "NO". The rich and the poor live in the same houses, except the rich paint them and consider them historically restored and the lower income folks just call it a house.

As for CCW in N.O. ,I kept my Sig P238 on me at all times and felt quite at ease. Thanks for all the input!
Old Yesterday, 11:51 PM   #22
Derry 1946

Glad to hear you enjoyed the visit!