Quantcast
Concealed Carry on a Motorcycle - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Social Situations > General Gun Discussions

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old April 15, 2015, 11:25 PM   #1
PJSprog

Concealed Carry on a Motorcycle

I tried reviving an older thread, rather than starting a new one on the same topic. Apparently, it was too old to resuscitate.

I ride a Gold Wing, but wind seems like it would be an issue for IWB carry. No open carry here in Illinois (we only barely have CC), so it must remain concealed. I'm also not fond of the idea of leaving it on the bike, both for access and security reasons. Back in the late '80s and through the '90s, I used to wear a fanny pack (go ahead and have your fun, I'll wait ...), but I always wore it on the front (crotch pouch). I've been leaning towards that idea, as it seems there are plenty of them still available with a gun pocket.

My permit application is still in the hands of the ISP, so I have a few months to figure something out. Anyone here ever use a conceal fanny pack while riding?
Old April 15, 2015, 11:40 PM   #2
WestKentucky

Fanny pack, no. Shoulder holster yes, under jacket of course. I have tried a bunch of stuff on multiple bikes from a Duc Monster to a ZX6, and Honda rebel to a dyna glide. The only realistic options for me are shoulder holster or tank bag...both with issues. I will detail my experiences below...ask questions if you have them.

ankle holster pisspoor accessibility plus risk a broken leg in a crash.
In the waist, dug in on my belly really really bad on the duc, but on more upright bikes it wasn't excruciating, but still far from acceptable. I'm not mentioning the direction it's aimed if you put the bike down....

Lefty IWB carried 8 o clock worked really well on cruisers, but in wind it showed by pulling my shirt up. In a crash your almost certain to break a hip or back if you land on your weapon.

Between shoulder blades...this was a terrible idea but it was comfy, but certainly would be major bodily damage if landed on. Broken shoulder, Ribs, spine, neck...

Shoulder holster, tucked into the arm for both concealment as well as protection from damage. In a go-down you might crack a rib, bug your not going to see lifelong injuries either. Comfy and contained.
Spellchecker and autocorrect is ran by anti-gun people who think that a "hi-point" should be "hip ointment" and a "parabellum" is a "parable lump" and so forth. Please excuse idiotic things that the electronics think I said that I never said. http://www.damnyouautocorrect.com/
Old April 15, 2015, 11:48 PM   #3
ColtPythonElite

I wear the same pancake I wear everyday. I don't care if my shirt blows up and someone sees my gun.
Old Yesterday, 12:28 AM   #4
Twiki357

Pocket carry? Or a Sneaky Pete type OWB?
Old Yesterday, 10:17 AM   #5
Speedo66

I took a spill 2 years ago with an old flip phone in my front pocket. It smashed the screen on the phone, and left me with a "dead leg" for about 2 weeks where I could barely lift my leg to mount a curb. Also a large sensitive black & blue mark that took weeks to go away.

In a spill, the gun may become loose from the holster and lost. Not pointing fingers, but watches, jewelry, cash, etc. have gone missing from unconscious victims. No reason to think a gun could not disappear either.
Old Yesterday, 10:58 AM   #6
stoky

Aerostich suits have a front thigh pocket that works well for up to Commander size. Ditto for some cargo pants. Most good jackets (real motorcycle jackets, not fashion statements) have inside lapel pockets, maybe not the quickest deployment but secure and well concealed. For a couple years I carried a Redhawk in a tank bag and worried about it whenever I wasn't with the bike.
IMO traditional hip carry is a bad idea because short ribs break easily and sometimes puncture lungs. I'd give some thought as to the likelihood of your gun becoming an implant in a wreck with your chosen carry mode.
The shoulder holster seems like a pretty good compromise. I've never had a good enough rig to keep it from being fiddly.
Old Yesterday, 11:01 AM   #7
another pake

I haven't used a fanny pac either, but Fox Creek Leather makes a few products that may interest you. They're high quality and the price reflects it.

Here is a link to a vest with a gun pocket. It might work for you. I like mine.

https://www.foxcreekleather.com/prod...lo-nickel-vest
Old Yesterday, 11:12 AM   #8
CraigC
Contributing Member

A good shoulder rig works great, even under a vest. I've also had no problems using a regular pancake under an untucked shirt.

"Wise men learn by others’ harms; fools by their own." - Benjamin Franklin

http://www.sixgunleather.com
Old Yesterday, 11:50 AM   #9
Fatdaddy

My Father in law carries a LCP sized 380 in one of these:
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/produ...lster?a=789164
Old Yesterday, 12:12 PM   #10
buck1032

I have been riding motorcycles for 35 years and carrying for 12. I still haven't found what works for me on the bike yet. I ride a Springer Softail, so it places me in an upright position. I may try the shoulder holster set up this year. I will continue to check this thread for other inputs.
Old Yesterday, 12:46 PM   #11
1KPerDay

I pocket carry. I don't anticipate having to draw and fire while riding. and if so, I can always stand on the pegs.
Old Yesterday, 01:24 PM   #12
stoky

The late, great Louis Awerbuck rigged up an additional left hand throttle, using an oldscool thumb compression release lever so he could shoot with ether hand while riding.
There's a depiction/description in one of his books, Tactical Realilty IIRC.
needless to say, YMMV, very literally
Old Yesterday, 01:39 PM   #13
scaatylobo

same old,same old

I still carry the exact same gun in the same place and same manner.

I carry a Glock 23 in a very close fitted OWB kydex ,or leather Ritchie IWB holster .

That is my warm and cold weather rig,and it conceals well enough that even my close friends who KNOW that I am armed = still ask about where and how I am CCW'ing.

The trick is to get REALLY comfortable with CCW and then do it with high end gear .
Old Yesterday, 01:51 PM   #14
guyfromohio

Shoulder holster sounds like a good idea. In Ohio, it doesn't matter if the jacket exposes the gun, so I use OWB with something covering.
Old Yesterday, 02:24 PM   #15
WestKentucky

My thoughts on riding/carrying are that bikes are nimble and quick enough to get out of anything I may face while actively riding. The shoulder holster works best for me because it is secured under my Joe Rocket textile, or under my leathers depending upon what I'm wearing and riding. Generally speaking, shooting while riding is not a good idea...but that's where the tank bag comes into play. It's easy enough to unzip, pull, fire, put away, and rezip right handed while clutching with the left....don't ask how I know.
Spellchecker and autocorrect is ran by anti-gun people who think that a "hi-point" should be "hip ointment" and a "parabellum" is a "parable lump" and so forth. Please excuse idiotic things that the electronics think I said that I never said. http://www.damnyouautocorrect.com/
Old Yesterday, 02:36 PM   #16
guyfromohio

I don't think carrying while riding equates to shooting while riding. I suppose to some, the ride is the goal. To me, it's often transportation. So, do you carry or do you carry? When you arrive at the destination, do you then move the gun from bag to belt, alerting the public...possibly "brandishing"? Or is it left in the bag for the world to steal?
Old Yesterday, 03:02 PM   #17
Fiv3r

When I used to ride, I would just carry an LCR that was small enough to ride in the inside breast pocket of my jacket in a homemade pocket holster and leave an empty OWB pancake on my belt.

I wasn't worried about reaching my gun when I was on the bike. If I needed to shoot AND ride, well I was pretty hosed I guess.

When I got off the bike, I would palm the gun and slip it into my holster if I could do so discretely. If not, well I just didn't worry about it. I just left my jacket on and unzipped the pocket. it was still fairly fast to draw.

If I were still riding today (gave it up when my daughter came along 5 years ago), I'd probably go with a polymer single stack 9 or .380 to carry a little more comfortably.
Old Yesterday, 05:19 PM   #18
PJSprog

Accidental "flashing" is apparently not a big deal here in Illinois, or so I've been told, so long as it's brief and unintentional. However, I imagine the wind whipping my shirt around and leaving the grip exposed for the world to see as I'm riding down the highway probably would not fit that description.

I'll most likely be carrying a J-frame snubby. Although, after reading here, perhaps a thinner polymer-ish-thingy might be a consideration. Not overly fond of them, but have been thinking in that direction for awhile now.

Good conversation here ... as always. Thanks, gents.
Old Yesterday, 05:24 PM   #19
MICHAEL T

I carry a Colt Defender in a shoulder rig under my jacket or vest.

Many leather vest have a gun pocket built in today . Mine is older so doesn't . Now riding and ducking lead and shooting back is possible. But still not able to do a reload at high speed I like both or at least 1 on the bars at all times.
http://bersachat.com #1 board on net for Bersa pistols and now American Classic 1911's have their own place

http://www.americanclassic1911forum.com
Old Yesterday, 07:36 PM   #20
ridgerunner1965

i have a Langlitz leather custom made jacket with what they call a pistol pocket made into it. it will hold a 380 or compact 9 or about any snubby.has a big brass snap holding it shut. the pocket is in the left chest area of the jacket. you really never even know its there when carrying. however is only accesible by your right hand. but they may put it on the other side if your a lefty.

in addition the Langlitz jacket is so thick and heavy, ill bet it weighs 15 lbs, that im not sure it would not deflect small caliber bullets. idk but you mite even talk them into lining it with kevlar.

good company when i dealt with them but that was 20 yrs ago.
Old Yesterday, 08:43 PM   #21
matrem
Contributing Member

Been riding street bikes since 78, been carrying since... (only been legal here since 04)

I now carry OWB, but open carry is legal here. Accidental "flashing" happens quite often with hot weather and light shirt.(folks don't seem to notice though)

As for best concealment and most comfortable, I carried my SP101 in a shoulder holster years ago, and yet to find a better concealed option than a shoulder holster for totally concealed carry on a bike.
Old Yesterday, 08:49 PM   #22
markallen

I pocket carry CA Bulldog. The only time I change is when it rains. Then I move it to an inside pocket on my jacket to keep it dry.
Old Yesterday, 09:06 PM   #23
PowerG

I wear the holster, keep the gun in a tank bag while riding. The gun definitely could cause injury in the event of a crash. Just have to be as discreet as possible switching when getting off to move away from the bike.
Old Yesterday, 09:27 PM   #24
Ed N.

I ride a Triumph Daytona and I'd suggest something small and light. If you go down, you really don't want an iron cannon adding to your injuries.

WhenI crashed a Ninja some years ago, I was pocket-carrying a KelTec P32. The gun didn't get a scratch. I wasn't so lucky, but at least the gun didn't cause any additional injury.

Pocket carry is convenient and well concealed; no worries about accidental flashing and no need to relocate the gun back & forth to a tank bag, etc.
Old Today, 07:30 AM   #25
bearcreek

I feel sorry for you guys in places like Florida and Illinois that have to worry about accidental flashing. That'd suck. Here it makes zero difference who sees the gun or not. Makes it a lot easier. I carry in my normal IWB or OWB holster while riding. Works fine. I may rethink that some though with this discussion of injury potential. I've been carrying for 10 years but only started riding a couple years ago.