Quantcast
CCW Holder Wrestled to the Ground at Walmart - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Social Situations > General Gun Discussions

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old January 22, 2015, 10:45 AM   #1
9mm+

CCW Holder Wrestled to the Ground at Walmart

I just saw this story this morning. Apparently, a CCW permit holder was taken down by another Walmart shopper because he saw that he was carrying a holstered gun. Just click on the story and watch the video. Very interesting turn of events!

http://www.ijreview.com/2015/01/2369...campaign=Crime

If this has been posted before, my apologies and please delete (I did a quick search and couldn't find a previous thread).
Old January 22, 2015, 10:55 AM   #2
Double Naught Spy

Here is the video in case the news story gets deleted...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-c...-ts=1421782837

Basically, this is an overactive sheepdog situation where Foster, on seeing Daniels' gun while in the parking lot, follows Daniels inside Walmart. Apparently, Foster thought he was stopping a criminal, maybe one about to rob Walmart or start a massing shooting. Who knows? Either way, he took it upon himself to act swiftly, decisively, with surprise and violence of action, attempting to choke and take down Daniels from behind. He takes him down while yelling, 'He has a gun!' and Daniels yelling that he had a license for it. Other do-gooders help to disarm Daniels and then pass the gun around to one another as it is removed from the immediate area. Sheepdog Foster was an idiot who misread the situation, reacted entirely inappropriately, and got arrested as a result.
Old January 22, 2015, 11:03 AM   #3
taliv

THR needs a FLORIDA tag
Old January 22, 2015, 11:14 AM   #4
Robert

Quote:
and got arrested as a result.
Good. Idiot.

Superior gear will never make up for a lack of training or attitude.

When your time comes to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home.- Chief Tecumseh
Old January 22, 2015, 11:18 AM   #5
tomrkba

Two other men assisted in taking his firearm. There needs to be a serious consequence for their actions.

These men should be very, very thankful that Daniels did not know what he was doing with regard to contact situations. It could have gone very, very badly for Foster, especially if Daniels drew and shot him in the leg or pulled a knife and performed an immediate contact reaction.

This is why I am in the process of adding a fixed blade knife carried in the center.

Open carry in a constructive way.

I do not care what your race is so long as it is "responsible gun owner".
Old January 22, 2015, 11:40 AM   #6
sequins

Interesting case and not something I've really considered. I always conceal my pistol so it's unlikely someone would target me for something like this, but I wonder what I'd do if it did happen to me. I don't think the "attacker" in this case ought to be shot and killed, however I'm not letting anyone take my weapon either. I'd probably shoot and feel bad about it.
Old January 22, 2015, 11:49 AM   #7
9mm+

I usually take my carry piece out of the IWB holster when I'm driving and then reholster it before I get out. I'm paranoid about people seeing me adjusting anything while carrying, no matter how discreet I may be. Nutjobs like this Foster fellow are out there and looking to play "hero".
Old January 22, 2015, 11:53 AM   #8
Arizona_Mike

The violence of this unprovoked attack is pretty shocking, esp. considering the victim was 62 years old. The anti-gun left is having cognitive dissonance over this despite it being a white on black crime (wonder if that choke hold was of the "illegal" variety ).

This was a very bad decision.

Mike
If it involves guns or paracord it does not count as macramé.
Old January 22, 2015, 12:04 PM   #9
Robert

Quote:
shot him in the leg
Why on earth would someone do that? If I feel that I am in a deadly force encounter I sure as heck am not aiming for the leg.

Superior gear will never make up for a lack of training or attitude.

When your time comes to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home.- Chief Tecumseh
Old January 22, 2015, 12:12 PM   #10
Apachedriver

I'm wondering how much time elapsed between the initial hit and the first shout by Foster that Daniels had a gun.
Old January 22, 2015, 12:26 PM   #11
Berger.Fan222

Possession of a firearm doesn't change the presumption of innocence.

Anyone who thinks it does demonstrates a strong prejudice and is not safe to be on the streets.

Lock this perp up for battery and give him time to grow beyond his ignorance and hate.
Old January 22, 2015, 12:29 PM   #12
wally

This should be prosecuted as a "hate" crime -- they hate guns and it was the only reason for the assault.
Old January 22, 2015, 12:30 PM   #13
Ranger Roberts
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taliv
THR needs a FLORIDA tag
hahaha!

Were the bystanders that assisted in the disarming (aka theft and assault) also arrested?

"A man with a gun is a citizen. A man without a gun is a subject." - John R Lott
Old January 22, 2015, 12:35 PM   #14
Deus Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Why on earth would someone do that? If I feel that I am in a deadly force encounter I sure as heck am not aiming for the leg.
Because he was in a choke hold, and that's probably pretty much the only place he could aim at all.

I don't blame the other people. All they really got out of it was someone yelling about a gun and struggling. The immediate assumption is that he had been threatening with it, but that's entirely the aggressor's fault.
Old January 22, 2015, 12:36 PM   #15
Drail

Absolute proof that that the antis are not playing with a full deck. There was a similar story recently in Indiana where a man walked into a Staples store and an older guy saw his gun, screamed "GUN!" and pushed his poor wife to the floor and laid on top of her. And these people are allowed to vote.
Old January 22, 2015, 12:38 PM   #16
tarosean

Quote:
THR needs a FLORIDA tag
you're not lying.....

definitely not a scenario I ever thought of....
Old January 22, 2015, 12:44 PM   #17
Apachedriver

It doesn't look like there was enough time for Daniels to draw and aim before the chokehold. It looks to me like there was time for a knife blade to the inner thighs at the least (eta) before he was put on his back.

If he would've drawn and fired, what might the chances be that another CCW would've engaged him considering this:

Quote:
All they really got out of it was someone yelling about a gun and struggling. The immediate assumption is that he had been threatening with it,

Last edited by Apachedriver; January 22, 2015 at 12:50 PM. Reason: eta
Old January 22, 2015, 12:47 PM   #18
Deus Machina

Yeah, I'm kind of betting that the CCW holder was showing restraint at that point. If he's attacked and taken down, with no sign of violence, he's in the right. If he shot the attacker, any security footage would be in his favor but not the nearby people.
Old January 22, 2015, 12:48 PM   #19
Averageman

Where is Darwin when you need him?
This might be something to train and equip yourself for, being grabbed from behind while carrying.
A fixed blade knife or the training to grapple and draw would be helpful.
Old January 22, 2015, 12:50 PM   #20
TomJ

I'm not a big fan of lawsuits, but in this case I hope Mr. Daniels hires the most aggressive attorney he can find and takes that moron for every cent he has.

Gun control is the belief that declawing a cat will protect it against other animals.
Old January 22, 2015, 12:52 PM   #21
MedWheeler

The only reason FLORIDA comes up in humor in this thread is because the state is far more liberal (the "real" definition, not the bastardized one) with its firearms laws than are the states from which so many people not from FLORIDA are coming to it.

I'm guessing the attacker is from New York or another northeastern state that has indoctrinated its subjects in the idea that anyone with a gun is up to no good.

Perhaps the state should have bold disclaimers posted at the northern state line along the highways, such as below:

Quote:
NOTICE: The State of Florida permits its citizens and visitors to carry firearms for personal defense and other lawful purposes, once licensed to do so. This may be in stark contrast to the political climate in many other states. Florida law prohibits the harassment of any such citizen, resident, or visitor.
Old January 22, 2015, 01:08 PM   #22
wtr100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
while being choked from behind easiest place to choot the 'choker' is in the thigh and groin maybe?
Old January 22, 2015, 01:22 PM   #23
nathan

The attacker wanted to be a hero of some sort . He s lucky the old man didnt shot him.
Old January 22, 2015, 01:31 PM   #24
Plan2Live

So much for the notion that no one would pick a fight with someone carrying a firearm. Ahem...OC
Old January 22, 2015, 01:36 PM   #25
AlexanderA

I really don't blame anyone for this unfortunate incident. It's the result of the fear among the general population of non-uniformed armed people, that has been heightened after all the recent mass shootings. For example, if you saw someone entering a crowded movie theater with an AR-15 at the ready, wouldn't you want to wrestle him to the ground before he could open fire? Or maybe even shoot him, if you were armed as well? Let's say you did nothing, and in fact he did open fire, killing a dozen people. Could you live with yourself afterwards?

Carrying concealed means that the gun is concealed. If you expose it, intentionally or not, you should not be surprised if somebody reacts. We don't live in a society (if we ever did) in which casual gun carrying is generally accepted.

Tags
baker act, florida