Cross pens - "write" them off - THR

Go Back   THR > Social Situations > General Gun Discussions

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old November 23, 2015, 10:15 AM   #1
Cross pens - "write" them off

I've always been a fan of Cross ballpoint, rollerball and fountain pens. They make a decent product at an affordable price. I was terribly disappointed, though, when I opened the fall/Christmas catalog the other day and found this:

From the website:
Peerless Fonderie 47 Limited Edition

Each pen purchased funds the destruction of ten AK47 weapons in Africa.

This series of forty-seven limited-edition fountain pens supports Fonderie 47’s efforts to help stop gun violence in war-torn regions of Africa by reducing the supply of assault rifles. Each fountain pen features an 18KT gold-filled finish, a moniker disk of reformed AK47 steel, and the unique serial number of a gun destroyed to create it. Your purchase funds the destruction of ten more AK47s. Carry, use, and display it as a symbol of hope and change.
So, I'm "writing" off Cross pens for future purchase and gifting. I'll be writing the company as well, expressing my dissatisfaction at this political game.

Old November 23, 2015, 10:34 AM   #2
The pen costs $4700.00. I suspect the sales volume will not be high.
Old November 23, 2015, 11:00 AM   #3
They're charging $4700 to destroy 10 AK's?
we can work together to enact commonsense improvements—like reinstating the assault weapons ban and closing the gun show loophole—so that guns do not fall into the hands of those irresponsible, law-breaking few. DNC party patform.
Old November 23, 2015, 12:37 PM   #4
I don't use a ball point pen often, but when I do it's a BIC
Old November 23, 2015, 01:54 PM   #5
47 $4,700 limited edition pens for Fonderie 47?

Yes, I'd slap Cross for aligning themselves with these idiots blaming a particular firearms for the bloodshed in Africa instead of trying to address the root causes of the violence. http://fonderie47.com/pages/purpose
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."
— Margaret Mead
Please Read The Forum Rules

TheHighRoad exists to provide a higher grade of discussion than is found on some other gun forums so antis and undecideds can see that gun owners and RKBA advocates are not the reckless misanthropes they tell everyone we are. Personal attacks, group stereotyping, macho chest-thumping, and partisan hackery are low road and hurt all of us.
Old November 23, 2015, 02:05 PM   #6
They're charging $4700 to destroy 10 AK's?
I'd do twice as many it for half that price, PM me if they need my shipping address....
"My right to swing my arm ends at the tip of your nose." Joe S.
Old November 23, 2015, 02:15 PM   #7
Jim K
Cross, AFAIK, will put out special products for about any legal "cause". They are like a print shop that prints political posters for anyone with the money.

I suspect that 1) there will not be any huge sales, and 2) the whole thing is a scam by the promoters. Who is going to go and take those guns from the bad guys? If the governments of those countries could do that, it would have been done, without any money from selling fancy pens.

Destroying an AK-47 takes one bullet or a blow from a big hammer, not big money. The people promoting this will weld a few guns into some kind of monument, and put the rest of the money in their pockets (or buy more modern weaponry to peddle to the terrorists).

Old November 23, 2015, 03:06 PM   #8
who cares if someone in africa gives up their ak47 to be destroyed? it is their property. all of my guns are for sale at the right price. don't care what someone does with them once I have cash in hand.
Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.
Old November 23, 2015, 03:12 PM   #9
Jim K
"... don't care what someone does with them once I have cash in hand."

But if they shoot you and take both the gun and the cash??

Old November 23, 2015, 03:25 PM   #10
Originally Posted by Jim K View Post
"... don't care what someone does with them once I have cash in hand."

But if they shoot you and take both the gun and the cash??

It seems unlikely that someone who has a FOID card that can take 30 days or more to get and requires an extensive background check to get the card and in addition has passed the instant background check that would be required before I would sell them any of my guns would then turn around and shoot me with one of them after the expiration of the waiting period when he can actually come pick it up.

I suppose it is possible, but no one I have sold a gun to has ever shot me with it afterward.
Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.
Old November 23, 2015, 07:00 PM   #11
P5 Guy
Michael Bloomberg bought them all to hand out to his best supporters?
Old November 23, 2015, 07:32 PM   #12
Ohen Cepel
I wasn't a fan but won't buy any of their stuff down the road either now.

The stupidity and arrogance of this is beyond me; gun control attempt or not. You could simply buy 10 Aks in Africa for the price of the pen. Why do they think they need to ship the steel back to ny (if I read their site correctly) to turn it into "nice things". Couldn't they at least do that in Africa?!?!

This would be like paying people in a city here $2k for a junk gun (not saying Aks are junk, but I bet any being sold cheap to these hipsters for art are jacked up) and they then go out and buy 4 more to replace the one they had.

Another elitist fool with a "cause". At least he/they are only trying to sell me a CRAZY priced pen rather than taking away my rights or trying to shove more control here down my throat.
"He who dares wins."
NRA Life Benefactor Member
BCCI Life Member
SAF Life Member
GOA Member
JFPO Member
MSI Executive Member
Old November 23, 2015, 08:21 PM   #13
Hmmmmm........ Five new windows for my house or this pen.........................

I'm a gettin me that there pen!!!!!!

It's a silly marketing ploy for an over priced, rich liberal, kind of product. Lame
My screen name is the result of testosterone driven jokes between friends, excessive laughter, and a bit of alcohol. I do not live in Alaska, and I've never been attacked by a bear, though, I have had bear encounters.
Old November 23, 2015, 08:40 PM   #14
Heck---Cross pens aren't made in the US anymore-----look closely, they are now made in China----reason enough to not buy them anymore
Old November 23, 2015, 08:47 PM   #15
Well I will not be buying any Cross Pens or products. They went to the wrong side IMO.
Old November 23, 2015, 09:12 PM   #16
dodo bird

S&W makes pens. I am sure they are made overseas, however they are good quality and are not Anti Gun!
Old Yesterday, 12:18 AM   #17
Shanghai McCoy
People actually "buy" pens...? I thought they were like pennies, just laying around to be picked up by cheap guys like me.
"Shanghai McCoy's the name.Been everwhere.Done everthin'.Been round the Horn,sailed the Seven Seas.Been all over the world,and that's how come I know people is just ..so...mis-er-a-ble.
Old Yesterday, 03:24 AM   #18
Probably just pay some police off to get some from evidence. I somehow doubt they'll slow Boko Haram's efforts in any way though.
Old Yesterday, 08:10 AM   #19
Partial production in NYC? The nincompoop mayor there is probably touting that as guns he's gotten off the street and new job creation.
Old Yesterday, 10:41 AM   #20
You can always try a lever action pen like this.

Cheap pens are 50 or 100 to a box for less than $10. I haven't seen an expensive pen that writes any better.
Old Yesterday, 11:12 AM   #21
If these pens have the serial number of an AK, they are probably illegal in New Jersey.
Sent from my Krups toaster using a slice of rye bread.
Old Yesterday, 11:15 AM   #22
I will stop buying them immediately !
High Functioning Hillbilly
Old Yesterday, 02:13 PM   #23
S&W doesn't make pens.
Things like that are licensed out.
Old Yesterday, 08:30 PM   #24
The only Cross pen I have was found on the floor at Wal-Mart...about twenty years ago. They've not made any money off me.

This whole thing makes no sense to me. Its almost"we've got to do SOMETHING even if it accomplishes nothing."

...even a blind hog finds an acorn once in a while.
Old Yesterday, 08:45 PM   #25
When does the machete model come out?
Spellchecker and autocorrect is ran by anti-gun people who think that a "hi-point" should be "hip ointment" and a "parabellum" is a "parable lump" and so forth. Please excuse idiotic things that the electronics think I said that I never said. http://www.damnyouautocorrect.com/