Quantcast
Taurus Agrees to $39 million settlement - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Social Situations > General Gun Discussions

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old Yesterday, 02:37 AM   #1
Speedo66

Taurus Agrees to $39 million settlement

Just saw an article where Taurus agreed to that settlement to fix pistols that could discharge when dropped, and a faulty safety system. 30 Mil. Was for repairs, 9 Mil. in attorney fees.

The money is to fund a buyback program for 9 different models, and also extends the warranty period for those who want the gun inspected for safety issues.

http://www.grandviewoutdoors.com/gun...e-pistol-case/
Old Yesterday, 03:48 AM   #2
DeepSouth
Contributing Member

Nine different models with the same defect, that had to be pretty big (common) error.
Seems like they'd have caught that, well I guess they did. They caught $39 million dollars worth of "oops"

Glad I don't have a Taurus.
Old Yesterday, 03:54 AM   #3
Miked7762

It was inevitable. While it takes some special effort to engage the safety in the manner described, there's always a special idiot who will make that effort.

For anyone who's unfamiliar with the problem, the pistols can be placed on safe in a manner which defeats the safety mechanisms. Pull the trigger far enough to clear the safety block while the safety is off, then engage the safety. The trigger is now locked BEHIND the safety trigger block. The gun will fire if the trigger is pulled or the gun is dropped in such a way that the trigger is forced back.
Old Yesterday, 04:15 AM   #4
DeepSouth
Contributing Member

I assume they used the same safety/trigger set up on 9 models, correct?

I'm not familiar at all with anything Taurus.
Old Yesterday, 04:46 AM   #5
Miked7762

Yes, all the models are in the same family and use the same trigger and safety configuration.

I'm undecided if Taurus should be to blame for the problem or not. In order to activate the problem, you must already be pulling the trigger when you engage the safety. That's not a valid way to make the firearm safe. Then again, I can't think of a single other firearm that makes it possible to do that. On everything else, the safety either will not engage or it will disconnect the trigger once engaged.
Old Yesterday, 05:47 AM   #6
mnrivrat

More about $9 million in wheasel fee's than in building a safer gun. The Remington 700 trigger was more dangerous than this issue with Taurus.
Old Yesterday, 05:59 AM   #7
19-3Ben

Quote:
More about $9 million in wheasel fee's than in building a safer gun.
Unless you have seen their bill, and the work associated with their fees, you have absolutely no way to determine if it was properly earned, or if they were weasels.
Old Yesterday, 01:08 PM   #8
wally

Quote:
For anyone who's unfamiliar with the problem, the pistols can be placed on safe in a manner which defeats the safety mechanisms. Pull the trigger far enough to clear the safety block while the safety is off, then engage the safety. The trigger is now locked BEHIND the safety trigger block. The gun will fire if the trigger is pulled or the gun is dropped in such a way that the trigger is forced back.
Yes years ago I posted photos showing than when the trigger is in the position behind the safety its not all that obvious that the gun is unsafe even though the safety is obviously engaged.

You don't have to be that special an idiot -- if you are used to shooting 1911s and in the habit of flicking on the thumb safety as soon as you stop shooting, the long reset of these pistols make it not that hard to put the gun into this state.

They should have done a recall on these years ago before the lawyers got involved and saved the $9 million! I'm sad it had to come to this, but a defect like this can't be allowed to stand in a pistol marketed for self defence.

Edit: here is the thread with my photos, see post #12:
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=557528
Old Yesterday, 02:20 PM   #9
joem1945

"I'm not familiar at all with anything Taurus."

Your lucky. Stay that way!!