Quantcast
curious about sig spring - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Handguns: Autoloaders

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old March 20, 2014, 12:47 PM   #1
roval

curious about sig spring

I've never seen a similar recoil spring where it's multiple wires braided together. Are they all like that and is there a big advantage to the design?
Old March 21, 2014, 06:22 AM   #2
GeneS

This type spring is supposed to last longer. The P-series Sigs I've seen all had this type recoil spring from the factory.
Old March 21, 2014, 06:41 AM   #3
priler

it's advantage is supposed to be better performance in true freezing cold.
Old March 26, 2014, 06:22 PM   #4
astra600

My SIG P250 came with a single wire recoil spring and a steel rod in 12/2013.
I ordered spare recoil springs and they came as flat captured springs on a plastic rod about 1/2 the diameter of the steel rod. They work, the front looks ugly as does the rod with the slide locked back. I ordered a couple of the (now) old springs from TopGun.
Old March 26, 2014, 06:27 PM   #5
F-111 John

You'll see those same twisted wire springs used in AK Hammer springs.

Old March 26, 2014, 09:52 PM   #6
9mmepiphany

The twisted springs, they really aren't braided as there isn't a single center wire, are standard in factory Classic P-Series pistols to better control the recoil effects on the slide. The P250 and SP2022 come with flat wire springs.

While I'm a big supporter of Wolff springs for many pistols, I'm been told by the leading SIG gunsmith in the country, also a big fan of Wolff springs, that using the twisted springs does make a difference in the service life of the pistols

Correct Grip
DA Trigger Management
How to Dryfire and Hit Stuff

Forum Rules
Old March 27, 2014, 10:03 AM   #7
340PD

They seem to work quite well. My W.German P226 from the early 1990's has thousands of rounds thru it without a problem.
Old March 27, 2014, 05:40 PM   #8
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mmepiphany
While I'm a big supporter of Wolff springs for many pistols, I'm been told by the leading SIG gunsmith in the country, also a big fan of Wolff springs, that using the twisted springs does make a difference in the service life of the pistols...
I've heard the same thing, attributed to Bruce Gray, of Gray Guns -- probably the guy you're writing about. Gray (and his staff) probably knows as much about the P-series SIGs as SIG's best people.

(I picked up a used P228 that has had a bunch of Gray Guns' work done to it -- and it's very nice.)
Old March 27, 2014, 07:01 PM   #9
9mmepiphany

Yes, it was Bruce. And yes he does know more about how SIGs wear and function, than even folks at the factory

There is stuff Bruce won't post because he thinks it is unprofessional to run down products and instructors who really don't do any harm.

When he does recommend against using a product in a specific situation, he is really trying to save folks from unnecessary waste or harm to them or their guns

Correct Grip
DA Trigger Management

Forum Rules
Old April 2, 2014, 08:22 PM   #10
astra600

It a positive or negative affect on the guns service life?
Old April 2, 2014, 08:28 PM   #11
rcmodel

It would be positive or SIG wouldn't use it.

rc
Old April 2, 2014, 09:37 PM   #12
9mmepiphany

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra600 View Post
If you are talking about the twisted spring, it prolongs the life of the frame...just as using grease, instead of oil, on the rails does

Correct Grip
DA Trigger Management

Forum Rules
Old April 3, 2014, 03:37 PM   #13
astra600

Interesting that SIG has twisted spring, single wire spring and flat spring sprinkled throughout its line.
Old April 3, 2014, 04:20 PM   #14
9mmepiphany

Different springs for different applications.

I'm not sure which model you are referring to which uses a single wire spring, but if it is a 1911 style platform, that would answer the question.

The twisted wire is their standard spring for the Classic P-series, they use flat springs to create additional tunnel space to prevent spring lock-up

Correct Grip
DA Trigger Management

Forum Rules
Old April 4, 2014, 06:08 PM   #15
wally

Quote:
I've never seen a similar recoil spring where it's multiple wires braided together.
AKs use them for the hammer spring, my CZ75B in .40S&W uses one for its recoil spring.
Old April 4, 2014, 06:40 PM   #16
Rinspeed

Quote:

Neither actually, if you are a lazy slop who never worries about springs they won't help you a bit. They are very good springs though, better than any of the after market ones available. If you want to know the truth though the mainspring has much more to do with slowing down the slide as it comes back than the recoil spring.
Old April 4, 2014, 10:05 PM   #17
gearhead

The twisted springs do a couple of things for you. The friction of two or three twisted wires rubbing together helps to damp out vibrations and minimize harmonics in the spring, and a pair of really small diameter wires in parallel don't experience as much stress as one larger spring that has the same stiffness.