Quantcast
what usually breaks on a beretta 92f?(9mm) - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Handguns: Autoloaders

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old September 4, 2014, 10:42 AM   #1
bullseyebob47

what usually breaks on a beretta 92f?(9mm)

i bought a used police beretta 92f years ago. might have put 1,000 rounds through it at the most. but i don't know how much it was shot before i bought it. several people told me they break a lot. if so, what breaks? what parts should i replace?

i pocket carry this gun in cargo pants sometimes. no holster. it prints way less than a glock 19. draws faster and smoother too. the 92f also draws from pocket much smoother than a s&w shield.
Old September 4, 2014, 10:48 AM   #2
JTQ

I'd probably replace the trigger return spring, and since you don't know how many rounds have been fired through it, I'd replace the recoil spring.

Here is a video from Ben Stoeger that may be helpful https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue8_uN0OIVs

This article may also be helpful http://pistol-training.com/articles/...the-beretta-92

And when it becomes time for some fancy stuff, there is this http://wilsoncombat.com/new/custom-b...eid=04e8246583
Old September 4, 2014, 11:41 AM   #3
mesinge2

I am a great fan of the 92 series guns and have a few of them. People may claim that the weak point is the locking block but I have thousands of rounds through mine and the only thing I have ever replaced has been the recoil spring.
Old September 4, 2014, 02:35 PM   #4
Schwing

I hear of these problems as well... Rarely if ever from someone who actually owns one.

I have had mine for 20 years or so with tens of thousands of rounds through it. I have never replaced anything.
Old September 4, 2014, 03:19 PM   #5
Fishbed77

Quote:
several people told me they break a lot.
Those people are full of it.

I would replace the recoil spring as a preventative measure (since recoil springs wear out on all semi-autos eventually) and leave it at that.
Old September 4, 2014, 03:33 PM   #6
LeonCarr

Trigger return springs and locking blocks.

I believe when the US Border Patrol issued the Beretta 96D .40 they had a set interval for replacement of trigger springs and locking blocks, I think it was every 5000 rounds.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
Old September 4, 2014, 03:56 PM   #7
Fiv3r

They're a fairly robust design. From all the kerfuffle on the internet you would think that the brass of the armed forces snatched away 100,000 gleaming pristine finely tuned 1911s and hand the soldiers pistols made out of wet cardboard.

I think it's a combination of things:
  • It replaced an iconic pistol
  • The decision to go with the Beretta is scrutinized because of a political deal
  • Glocks and polymer pistols soon started to gain popularity with civilians and police departments

Lots of people point to the low round count life expectancy of the gunas based on the trials...even though that's not a true measure as with marginal care this gun can go 10s of thousands of rounds.

I love the 92fs. I think it's an iconic service pistol. Does it have the gravitas of the American designed, American made 1911 shooting an American cartridge? I guess not, but it's seen a lot of conflict and has stuck around. It's a bit outdated by current standards. However, it's just a ridiculously accurate and soft shooting gun that looks sexy doing it. Mine is named Rosa Belladonna. She's Italian, and she's hugging my hip as I type.

I'm a big fan of how "safe" this pistol is, and I prefer traditional DA/SA guns with hammers on them.

I've heard that the trigger return springs can be an issue when they fail, and if you want to be religious about it, I would replace the recoil spring every 3000-5000 rounds. I've heard doing that will limit the wear and tear on the locking block.

A few years ago I had the chance to purchase a nice used M9, but the whole "they break down all the time" kept me from buying it as I had no idea how easy and inexpensive it is to replace a couple of springs and a locking block. I should have done a little research, but then again, if I had Rosa wouldn't be snuggled up to me at this moment

I wouldn't call it the "best" handgun design out there, but it's one that gets way more flack than it deserves. They really are very beautiful, robust, and reliable pistols.
Old September 4, 2014, 04:09 PM   #8
Kiln

The locking blocks are pretty weak on the older models and go every 6-8k rounds or so but Beretta has redesigned them several times. The numbers I'm reading now say 10-15k round life expectancy.

If it does break just buy a newer locking block and I doubt you'll have to worry about it again unless you shoot A LOT. The 92 is a pretty solid gun and has been around for a long time.
Old September 4, 2014, 06:28 PM   #9
Field Tester

I've got a buddy who's had his over 20 years. Probably the most beat to hell handgun I've ever seen.
Hasn't replaced a thing.
Probably the smoothest action I've ever seen too. Like butter. I jump at the chance to shoot it.
Won't sell it either.
Old September 4, 2014, 08:00 PM   #10
Onmilo

I installed a Wolff Trigger Spring unit in my M9.
Not because the original trigger spring broke, because I wanted to be sure it would never break.
I replace recoil springs at 3000 rounds and hammer springs at 5000 whether they need it or not.

There have been some complaints about the new style triggers and plastic guide rods but I don't know of any actual failures of these components.
Old September 4, 2014, 10:09 PM   #11
Jim K

Beretta USA had a serious heat treatment problem with locking blocks and they broke regularly; that has long been corrected, though it would probably be a good idea to replace the block on an early gun. I have seen claims that Italian made pistols had the same problem, but I recall that it was limited to US-made guns.

Jim
Old September 4, 2014, 10:16 PM   #12
WestKentucky

What breaks...the shooters wallet. The gun eats anything and doesn't stop. Springs wear out but that's every gun and every spring. A touch of oil and a decent cleaning every once in a blue moon and this baby will work longer than you do.
Old September 4, 2014, 10:40 PM   #13
Kiln

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onmilo View Post
I installed a Wolff Trigger Spring unit in my M9.
Not because the original trigger spring broke, because I wanted to be sure it would never break.
I replace recoil springs at 3000 rounds and hammer springs at 5000 whether they need it or not.

There have been some complaints about the new style triggers and plastic guide rods but I don't know of any actual failures of these components.
On the topic of the newer Beretta "plastic" triggers, they are only polymer coated, inside they're still steel. A lot of the hate on that issue comes from people who think Beretta stopped using metal in their triggers completely.
Old September 4, 2014, 11:08 PM   #14
RustyShackelford

Guns.....

How is a M&P Shield or Glock 19 9mm harder to draw or carry than a Beretta 92F 9x19mm in a side cargo pocket?
Something seems off. Maybe the model of the Beretta(model 84, model 82, etc).
If if the member really does pack a 92F 9mm, Id suggest a pocket rig like www.stickyholsters.com . It will protect the weapon from grit, lint, dirt, etc and keep the controls or levers from moving around, .
Pocket or "holster-less" carry of any firearm isn't a smart move IMO. Some cops & under-cover agents do it because crooks & bad guys rarely use holsters. They also rarely clean firearms or care about storage, which was a THR forum topic a few weeks ago.
While in the US armed forces, my issue M9 9x19mm pistol had a missing grip screw. I'd add Hogue, www.hoguestore.com after market screws help, .
Wolff springs are worth replacement too just for piece of mind. In fact, sending the pistol to www.olhasso.com & have the shop service the gun could help.
After it returns, Id suggest new grips, new Trijicon HD night sights new magazines & maybe have the upper or entire weapon treated with Metalife, Robar NP3+, Bearcoat, or Black-T/Green-T. You can have the pistol magazines treated too for a small fee.

David Olhasso is a top match shooter & pistol smith known for Beretta models.

Rusty
www.black-t.com www.robarguns.com www.trijicon.com
Old September 5, 2014, 08:03 AM   #15
mesinge2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiv3r View Post
However, it's just a ridiculously accurate and soft shooting gun that looks sexy doing it.

[...]

They really are very beautiful, robust, and reliable pistols.
I agree with the above 100%

Old September 5, 2014, 12:02 PM   #16
Saleen322

Locking Blocks

I had a Taurus 99 years ago that broke a locking block within a month. Taurus replaced it and no further problems. Last year I got a Beretta 92 INOX. Right out of the box it had poor accuracy stringing vertical 8" or so @ 25 yards and everything left. I took the slide off and it looked like only one side of the locking block was making good contact. When the pistol was in battery it was off left and you could move the barrel up and down getting it to stop in different places. Sent the barrel w/block to Beretta and they just sent it back without doing anything. There was a guy selling take off M9 barrels on ebay that he said were left over from making laser training guns. Dropped the barrel with its locking block in, groups went under 3" and centered.

I am guessing if I would have kept shooting the original barrel with only half of the block making contact it would be much more likely to break as only half was unsupported. Anyway once the original barrel-block were replaced, it has been all good especially since I recently got a KKM setup.
Old September 9, 2014, 07:02 PM   #17
bullseyebob47

"How is a M&P Shield or Glock 19 9mm harder to draw or carry than a Beretta 92F 9x19mm in a side cargo pocket?"

its weird i know. but in practice it does as long as my pocket(main pocket btw) is deep which they all are except two. the glock 19 weighs less but flops around like crazy and prints way more. the shield isn't too bad but it likes to snag a little coming out.

the beretta 92 just works better, no snag, and no obvious printing like the blocky glock. i mean that glock prints bad when walking. pocket holsters makes these bigger guns too bulky. plus glock needs to be carried without holster not chambered of course. i will carry the beretta chambered with safety on and the stiff trigger is another safety imo. i feel safe.

the shield isn't bad except for that minor snag and one can see its a gun more so than the beretta. the beretta holds more ammo and i shoot it more accurate. i have tested this.