Quantcast
Sd ammo bullet setback - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Handguns: Autoloaders

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old September 6, 2014, 04:26 PM   #1
Okcafe86

Sd ammo bullet setback

A few weeks ago I noticed I couldn't see the cannelure on 2 of my sd rounds anymore. I measured the length with my calipers and wrote it in sharpie on the case to track it. They are hornady 9mm critical duty 135 gr. they aren't +p so they weren't recalled. I probably strip and clean my ccw too often but whatever, that explains the cycling. Has anyone ever noticed this before? Do you think I should get a box of gold dots now?
Old September 6, 2014, 04:34 PM   #2
OneSevenDeuce

That will happen eventually with any ammo that is continually rechambered. I rotate the rounds at the top of my mags for this very reason. Pressures can increase rapidly when the bullet is seated too low. Generally speaking I replace my SD ammo 3 or 4 times a year. After a few months I just shoot up my SD ammo and buy a fresh pack or three.
Old September 6, 2014, 05:36 PM   #3
Steve C

Since factory ammo comes in boxes of 20, 25, 50 or 100 you always have extra rounds since magazines capacity seldom evenly divides those numbers. If this setback bothers you just replace the bullet with one of those "extra" rounds left over.

Personally the only time I worry about setback in factory ammo is when it may cause failure to feed. My solution has been to keep the setback round in the chamber knowing that when it fires the successive rounds of standard length will subsequently feed.

The setback caused by the bullet being shoved against the feed ramp during chambering will eventually stop when the base of the bullet contacts the powder. While some worry about possible increase in pressure the fact is that there has never been any incidences where the pressure in factory ammo has increased dramatically enough to cause damage or failure in firearms, if it had there would be many posts on the internet and customer complaints to the ammo manufacturers.

I have over the years fired rounds that where set back without any resulting problems or issues. I have also pulled some of the bullets from setback ammo and then seated and crimped the bullets in back place with heavier crimp to produce a round that no longer would set back.
Old September 6, 2014, 05:44 PM   #4
OneSevenDeuce

I reload, bullets seated an deeper lengths WILL produce higher pressures according to just about every reloading manual publisher. If using +p or +p+, things can produce massive spikes in pressure from the already high pressure 9mm. Listen to the manufacturers.
Old September 6, 2014, 05:56 PM   #5
R.W.Dale

This is one of the primary reasons I went back to a revolver.

Autoloaders even if you don't shoot your carry ammo will eventually ruin it if you shoot them with other ammo.

IMO every person who ccw's an automatic needs to have a way to measure, keep track of and a plan to limit bullet setback
Old September 6, 2014, 10:08 PM   #6
HisSoldier

C&H makes a nifty canneluring tool that mounts on the bench, I used to roll them into the cases just below the bullet bases, problem solved.
Since then I've spent a lot of money on reloading gear and have learned to take care for bullet tension, ie case mouth size. But there is no downside to having the cases cannelured unless you go to much heavier bullets, the cannelures would make them stick out farther, however, they can still be seated deeper, it just pushes the cannelure back out.
The cannelures are not affected by shooting in my experience, so they are there for the next time too.
Old September 6, 2014, 10:14 PM   #7
rcmodel
Contributing Member

Next time you buy a box off SD ammo.
Mark a ring around the bullets at the the case mouth with a Black Sharpie pen.

When the black ring disappears inside the case?

That immediately becomes range practice ammo before it gets any worse.

rc
Old September 6, 2014, 11:10 PM   #8
Trunk Monkey

Any time I unload my SD ammunition I place the round I unchambered at the bottom of the magazine and bump the rest of the rounds up one. When each round has cycled twice I shoot them and buy new
Old September 6, 2014, 11:17 PM   #9
burk

Hornady is the ONLY brand that I personally have experienced setback with in SD ammo. I've switched to Federal HST's in my .45's and I've run Speer Gold Dot's 124's in my 9's with no issues. But I've had issues with both Hornady XD and Critical defence in .45 (don't know if it's just a 1911 problem or not).
Old September 7, 2014, 03:49 PM   #10
smalls

I've had terrible bullet set back with Hornady's lineup of SD ammo. I tried the Critical Defense, TAP, and one other I don't recall the name of. I had problems with each one. In some cases I would get bullet setback after one chambering.

I carried Winchester PDX1 for a long time, no problems. I carry Gold Dots now, and no problems still.
Old September 7, 2014, 04:07 PM   #11
OneSevenDeuce

I had the same problem with Critical Defense. I noticed that on my 1911 the problem was that the polymer tip would catch slightly on the feed ramp, causing it to hang up and absorb more of the impact than it should have, causing setback. Although I will say that I never had that problem with my M&P.
Old September 7, 2014, 04:22 PM   #12
Tomac

I tested the Critical Duty 135gr std pressure in my own 9mm's and it took 25 rechamberings before there was measurable setback.
Tomac
Old September 7, 2014, 04:44 PM   #13
herrwalther

Some rounds are more resistant to bullet setbacks than others. I noticed some substantial setback in 230gr .45 by Blazer after just 5 chamberings. But my 155 gr .40 Golden Saber carry ammo has had about 20 chamberings with no noticeable difference. When I clean my carry, I take out the +1 round and place it next to a fresh round on a flat surface. If I can see any difference, I break out the calipers. Depending on how much the setback is I either toss it, fire it, or rotate it toward the bottom of the mag.
Old September 7, 2014, 07:02 PM   #14
Okcafe86

One thing that struck me odd was the cannelure to begin with. I'm pretty sure 9mm head spaces on the case mouth...so crimping would screw with proper head spacing. Also, it wasn't even crimped into the cannelure...what's the point of the cannelure if it's not even crimped?
Old September 8, 2014, 07:57 AM   #15
OneSevenDeuce

Crimping won't necessarily screw with the headspace on a 9mm round. A roll crimp certainly would, but a mild taper crimp should not cause you any problems.
Old September 8, 2014, 09:43 AM   #16
TarDevil

I haven't noticed any setback with Speer Gold Dots. I rotate my rounds when cleaning and measure prior to reloading.
Old September 8, 2014, 08:08 PM   #17
Okcafe86

Right but a cannelure is ment to be roll crimped I believe.
Old September 8, 2014, 08:16 PM   #18
OneSevenDeuce

Not really. Crimp grooves can certainly give you the option of roll crimping into said groove, but a cannelure on a semi auto round is not meant for roll crimping. Taper crimp only.
Old September 9, 2014, 07:50 AM   #19
mljdeckard

The best solution I have come up with is to minimize repeated loading and unloading. In my house, with my life situation, I find it best to just leave it loaded most of the time. When I clean, I empty the magazine and reload it again in no particular order. I have never had noticeable setback on a .45 HST. And if it was ME, I would try a lot of different options before I start messing with factory defensive ammo.