Quantcast
9x18mm gel test: Hornady 95 gr XTP - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Handguns: Autoloaders

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old February 22, 2015, 03:33 PM   #1
chopinbloc

9x18mm gel test: Hornady 95 gr XTP

Video link for phones

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miSAAcqe8Wo

Hornady 95 gr XTP fired from Bulgarian Arsenal Makarov into calibrated 10% gelatin with and without denim.

BB: 590.8 fps, 3.0"

Bare gel results:

Impact velocity: 1,027 fps
Penetration: 6.9"
Retained weight: 93.2 gr
Max expansion: 0.657"
Min expansion: 0.494"

4 layers of denim results:

Impact velocity: 1,077 fps
Penetration: 12.9"
Retained weight: 95.3 gr
Max expansion: 0.534"
Min expansion: 0.400"

Unfortunately, the card in one of my cameras became corrupted, causing me to lose the HD side view footage and the photos that I took before weighing and measuring the projectiles. Thankfully, I hadn't already melted the blocks when I discovered the problem so I retook the photos without the bullets present in the block. Sorry for that.

The final portion was supposed to be much closer so you could more clearly view feeding and ejection. Next time I'll position the camera much closer and set the frame rate to 120 frames per second instead of 240 for better resolution. Hey, I'm still learning.
"Murder is a crime -unless it is done by a policeman or an aristocrat... You have the right to free speech; as long as you're not dumb enough to actually try it." - The Clash "Know Your Rights" from Combat Rock
Old February 22, 2015, 03:52 PM   #2
kokapelli

The Hornady 380 XTP from a P238 tested significantly better!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O15fRBdo-38
Old February 22, 2015, 09:18 PM   #3
Wishoot

Only 6.9" in bare gel. Not good.
Old February 22, 2015, 09:22 PM   #4
chopinbloc

No, it's not. And you'll notice that the denim shot only partially expanded.
"Murder is a crime -unless it is done by a policeman or an aristocrat... You have the right to free speech; as long as you're not dumb enough to actually try it." - The Clash "Know Your Rights" from Combat Rock

Last edited by chopinbloc; February 22, 2015 at 09:22 PM. Reason: stoopid phone.
Old February 22, 2015, 11:39 PM   #5
strambo

Well...so long as you only get in a shootout with your Mak at a White Snake concert (lots of denim-clad fans), it will be OK!
Old February 23, 2015, 12:44 PM   #6
Gary A

That test would seem to indicate that in performance the 9x18 is closer to the 9x17 than the 9x19 and might be best served with its original Fmj loading.

Of course, deep down we already knew that.
Before you write - Think
Before you quit - Try
Before you die - Live
Old February 23, 2015, 12:48 PM   #7
chopinbloc

I think you're right. I really wanted this to be a good performer but I think I knew it wouldn't be. I'm sure it would be possible to design a projectile that would feed in most pistols and expand modestly while penetrating adequately but I doubt any company is willing to invest the R&D in such a niche area.
Old February 23, 2015, 10:39 PM   #8
MedWheeler

I was hoping to place my recently-acquired Bulgarian into my carry rotation, too.

Well, probably still will.. tested it a few days ago, but with Blazer ball ammo (only stuff I could get my hands on.) Ran very well, and I was pleased with its "pointability" and ease on hitting where I was trying.

Thanks for passing this on.
Old February 23, 2015, 10:56 PM   #9
Robbins290

Glad i swtiched all my 9x18's to 380. More common ammo, thus cheaper to shoot.
Old February 24, 2015, 02:06 AM   #10
Deaf Smith

If I was gonna pack my EG Makarov 9x18, I'd use service ball ammo.

The very round, almost blunt, fmj at 1000 or so fps is not all that bad.

Deaf
Old February 24, 2015, 02:38 AM   #11
Pilot

I'd like to see a test of the 95 grain +p Hornady Critical Defense with the polymer insert in the hollow point. It may get better penetration. That is what I am carrying in my P-83.
Old February 24, 2015, 11:19 AM   #12
North Bender

chopinbloc you recorded the highest velocities I've ever seen for Hornady XTP. Hornady advertises that the round travels 1,000 fps but it's known that they use a test barrel that is longer than a Makarov PM. I have never heard of the XTP exceeding 1,000 fos. Here are some posted velocities:

- 20 rounds: 908 - 956 fps (my chronograph)

- 1 round: 952 fps (brassfetcher, 7.3-inches penetration in ballistic gel)
- 1 round: 927 fps (brassfetcher, 7.7-inches penetration in ballistic gel)

(brassfetcher reported that with one drop of Loctite Superglue dried in the JHP cavity (to retard expansion, increase penetration) the round impacted at 925 ft/sec, penetrated to 8.3" (corrected). Average diameter was 0.534".)

- 1 round: 859 fps (Goldenloki - I've lost the penetration data)

- 921 fps (reported by forum member M2 Carbine)

- 979 fps (Stephen Camp, Highpowersand handguns.com)

There are a lot of comments on Hornady XTP being loaded to a low velocity. I've often wondered what would happen to the penetration if you loaded the bullet hotter. Will it expand more and then penetrate less? Brassfetcher's data may indicate that's the case.
Old February 24, 2015, 11:34 AM   #13
chopinbloc

Interesting. I suppose my chronograph could be out of calibration. Maybe they have changed their load.
Old February 24, 2015, 11:54 AM   #14
Walt Sherrill

I find it puzzling that the round's penetration in bare gel is less than in 4-layers of denim AND gel... How does that happen?
Old February 24, 2015, 11:56 AM   #15
chopinbloc

Denim clogs the cavity of the hollow point, causing it to expand less and more slowly.
Old February 24, 2015, 12:11 PM   #16
North Bender

As evidenced by the increased penetration when brassfetcher clogged the HP with locktite.
Old February 24, 2015, 01:53 PM   #17
chopinbloc

Yeah, I meant to say that's a pretty neat trick. It was just a couple drops, right?
Old February 24, 2015, 06:48 PM   #18
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
Denim clogs the cavity of the hollow point, causing it to expand less and more slowly.
I understand and have seen differences before, but not such GREAT differences.

The same basic round in .380 (XTP) doesn't show as profound a difference -- link below.

http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com/2...grain-xtp.html
Old February 24, 2015, 06:53 PM   #19
chopinbloc

You're right. The difference is usually pretty small. I think the driving factor here is that the denim shot almost didn't expand at all. Did you watch my other 9x18mm video? The difference there was even greater, IIRC.
Old February 24, 2015, 09:02 PM   #20
BSA1

Location: West of the Big Muddy, East of the Rockies and North of the Red River
Barnaul Silver Bear JHP seems to perform very well in the gel and demin tests on YouTube. The nicest thing is it is low enough priced for regular practice. However I also prefer FMJ in the .380 & 9x18.

Last edited by BSA1; February 24, 2015 at 09:15 PM.
Old February 24, 2015, 09:12 PM   #21
chopinbloc

I'll keep an eye out for it.
Old Yesterday, 07:45 PM   #22
snorko

I would like to see this compared with Hornady's Makarov Critical Defense FTX load.
Old Yesterday, 08:27 PM   #23
chopinbloc

I'll look for that one too.