Quantcast
Thinking about selling one of these - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Handguns: Autoloaders

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old Yesterday, 10:13 AM   #1
MoreIsLess

Thinking about selling one of these

I own only 1 45acp pistol (Colt 1911 Government Model) and have about 4 or 5 9mm's. I am thinking about selling one of my 9mm's, either the Sig 226 or Springfield 9mm 1911 Government to purchase a Sig 220 or M&P Full Size 45acp. I feel that I need another 45 and I promised the Mrs. that If I bought another new gun I would sell one of my existing ones. I only bought the 9mm Springfield 1911 for competition which I am not doing any more. I know it's almost a sacrilege to part with a Sig 226 but I don't shoot it as well as my Walther PPQ, so I shoot the PPQ more frequently. Love that PPQ, btw

What would you do (besides keep both of them)
Old Yesterday, 10:39 AM   #2
mgmorden

You've already got a 1911 that you want to keep. I'd personally get rid of the 9mm 1911 and then get what you want.
Old Yesterday, 11:02 AM   #3
MoreIsLess

That was my thinking too. Since I am not competing anymore I don't need 2 1911's. I also don't need 2 full size 9mms hence the decision to sell one. My 1911 45acp has too light a trigger for a personal defense gun hence the need for another 45acp
Old Yesterday, 11:34 AM   #4
Chocolate Bayou

Which one would you get the most money selling? That way you would use less out of pocket. That would be my determining factor.
Old Yesterday, 11:49 AM   #5
rondog

Quote:
I don't need 2 1911's
I just felt a cold chill down my spine.....
Old Yesterday, 12:01 PM   #6
LocoGringo

Why is it "sacrilege" to sell the P226? Personally, I haven't met a Sig that I like. I'd be on the side of "standardizing" my full size guns to operate them at a high level and sell the Sig, but that's MY preference.
Old Yesterday, 12:49 PM   #7
Lycidas Janwor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolate Bayou View Post
Which one would you get the most money selling? That way you would use less out of pocket. That would be my determining factor.
I'm a pragmatic guy so this is the rout I'd go. Which one will get you the most $? That's the one I'd sell, if I absolutely HAD to sell one.
Old Yesterday, 01:39 PM   #8
Walt Sherrill

Some things to consider:
  • Finding a good 9mm 1911 that functions the way it should seems harder than finding a good 9mm in other formats.
  • A gun that doesn't do well in my hands ends up in the gun safe. I've had a number of P226s, over the years, but none of them (including an X-Five in .40) really felt at home in my hands. Selling the P226 might be my first choice; those who aren't crazy about 1911s would probably sell the 1911 9mm...* (*corrected, I wrote it wrong - the opposite of what I meant - the first time through.)
  • If money is an issue, I'd consider selling the one that gave the most of it's purchase price back...

For some folks, guns are almost religious icons, and selling one something you should never do. Either that, or you've gotten into a "collector's" state of mind. People collect anything from stamps, to baseball cards, movie posters, or Barbie Dolls to expensive wrist watches. Guns are just another "collectible" for some people -- and they consider them special, just as other consider their Rolex special, etc., etc.

Like some of the others responding, I've become a bit more pragmatic.

Gun are tools. If they don't work for you, you should get one that does. Having a toolbox full of tools you don't use is a waste of money, and unless you're wealthy, that big box of unused tools keeps you from getting better tools.

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; Yesterday at 08:43 PM.
Old Yesterday, 04:57 PM   #9
RA40

With Walt on that. Use the tools that perform well for you. Any that don't work well get sold for those that will. I try not to part with what I buy but times change and having to have just for the sake is wasteful. That gun may work well in another persons hands and it serves a purpose to let it be used and not sit.
Old Yesterday, 08:33 PM   #10
JDR

Sell the Sig 226 AND the Springfield 9mm 1911 Government then get a Dan Wesson Valor!
Old Yesterday, 08:42 PM   #11
Walt Sherrill

Ooh! Ooh! ^^^ What he said.
Old Yesterday, 08:50 PM   #12
HexHead

If you don't shoot the 226 all that well, what makes you think you'll shoot the 220 any better?
Old Yesterday, 09:40 PM   #13
Chocolate Bayou

Walt

My Colt Defender is a 9mm and I've never had a hiccup, and as far as I know from the forums I visit, the Springfield EMP and Range Officer Champion haven't had any major problems, so I think the 1911 platform and 9mm are a good combination with the right mfg.
Old Today, 12:33 AM   #14
GLOOB

Quote:
Sig 226 but I don't shoot it as well
This is as good a reason to sell a gun as you can get. Of the few guns I have sold, this has always been the main reason.
Quote:
If you don't shoot the 226 all that well, what makes you think you'll shoot the 220 any better?
I wouldn't count it out. They're almost identical, but I feel like I shoot a P220 better, myself.
Old Today, 04:38 AM   #15
Pilot

So does the Mrs. sell her shoes, and handbags when she gets a new one?
Old Today, 04:53 AM   #16
JeeperCreeper

It seems around here, SIGs have the best resale value compared to retail. Just a thought