Quantcast
s&w pistol - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Ammunition, Gear, and Firearm Help > Firearms Research

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old December 24, 2014, 01:12 PM   #1
ms61452

s&w pistol

I have a S&W 38 special serial # preceeds with a V also has a CTG on barrel # on frame inside cylinder and cyl. arm is preceeds woth a C so far I talked to S&W , they say the V means it was between 1942 & 1945 WWII and the C means it was commercial sold or use cannot find any us stamp marking. can any one help me with any more info , it is chrome or nickel plated they say there were a few made that way . am going to sell trying to decide if its with the $50. for research

Last edited by ms61452; December 24, 2014 at 01:14 PM. Reason: spelling
Old December 24, 2014, 02:19 PM   #2
NapalmMan67

Check with radagast here, might be able to provide more info?

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthrea...72213&page=238

Old December 24, 2014, 04:11 PM   #3
deadin

Can you provide legible pictures of the various marks and where they are located? Off hand it sounds like you may have a gun made up of various parts.
Old December 24, 2014, 04:50 PM   #4
Ron James

It just might be factory nickel, but it is not factory chrome.
Old December 24, 2014, 05:10 PM   #5
Jim Watson

Pictures would be a big help.

The only nickel plated commercial sales Victory models I could find were a few "SV" number guns actually made after the end of the war and released for retail sales.
A plain "V" without the improved hammer block? Not very likely.
Old December 27, 2014, 01:27 AM   #6
Jim K

I assume Jim Watson is talking about nickel plated commercial guns, since there were some 800,000 "V" serial number guns made before the new hammer block safety was introduced. I think it is pretty safe to say that a nickel plated "V" serial # S&W is not original.

I think we need some good pictures to properly identify the gun, including the butt serial number and also the assembly number under the yoke.

Jim