Quantcast
Differences between 1859 Sharps and Metallic Cartridge Sharps - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Ammunition, Gear, and Firearm Help > Firearms Research

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old December 20, 2014, 01:30 AM   #1
MattMaier

Differences between 1859 Sharps and Metallic Cartridge Sharps

What are the differences between the 1859 Sharps infantry rifles and the metallic cartridge Sharps rifles, other than the ammunition used?
Old December 20, 2014, 01:35 AM   #2
Jim K

The basic differences are in the breechblock; the cartridge gun has a firing pin instead of a nipple and flame channel, and has an extractor. And the lockplate has no provision for the priming magazine and mechanism.

Jim
Old December 20, 2014, 03:13 PM   #3
MattMaier

Ok, so another question. I know that a paper cartridge Sharps or a replica thereof is considered an antique and, for instance, can be purchased and shipped to your door without being sent through an FFL dealer. Would a metallic cartridge sharps in a chambering such as .45/110 be considered an antique, or a modern firearm because it could chamber .45/70?
Old December 20, 2014, 05:09 PM   #4
Speedo66

If it's an original made prior to 1898, I believe it's a non firearm, so shippable without an FFL. A replica is a firearm.

I've seen ads by dealers offering to ship pre 1898 Mausers directly to customers.
Old December 20, 2014, 05:42 PM   #5
DeepSouth
Contributing Member

Quote:
If it's an original made prior to 1898, I believe it's a non firearm, so shippable without an FFL. A replica is a firearm.
Auctually, my understanding is that if it is a replica of an antique gun AND is chambered in an ATF listed "obsolete cartridge" it does not have to be shipped via FFL. I have the emails but it'd take me hours to dig them up. I have no idea if the 45/110 is ATF obsolete or not, I do know the 50-90 is.
Old December 20, 2014, 07:02 PM   #6
MattMaier

The .45/110 is basically like a .45/70 with a lengthened case. As far as I can tell, .45/110 is no longer manufactured commercially but you can buy empty brass for it. Since you could, theoretically, chamber a .45/70 in a gun chambered for .45/110, thats where my concern is, even though it is considered an obsolete cartridge.
Old December 20, 2014, 07:50 PM   #7
DeepSouth
Contributing Member

One thing to remember is that just because the caliber is obsolete Doesn't mean it's on the ATF list of obsolete caliabers, for instance I know the 45-90 is not a ATF obsolete caliaber (at least it wasn't a year ago). I had wondered why but it may be because the 45-70 will chamber in it.

You'd have to ask them that one.
Old December 21, 2014, 12:41 AM   #8
Jim K

Here is the statement in the law. The term here is "uses", not "was intended for" or "might chamber" or "is marked for". The assumption would probably be that if the cartridge fits and fires safely in that gun that the gun "uses" that cartridge.

(16) The term 'antique firearm' means—
(A) any firearm (including any firearm with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system)
manufactured in or before 1898; and

(B) any replica of any firearm described in subparagraph (A) if such replica—

(i) is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition, or
(ii) uses rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition which is no longer manufactured in the United States and which is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade.

Hi, Matt,

It might help to know the reason for the question. Are you planning to convert an antique Sharps, or manufacture reproductions, or is the concern with shipping, etc.?

Jim

Last edited by Jim K; December 21, 2014 at 01:07 AM.
Old December 21, 2014, 01:41 PM   #9
Jim Watson

I doubt any reputable builder or gunsmith will send a .45 x 2 7/8" to a non-FFL.
I don't think a startup builder or gunsmith should try.
Want ammo? Just get on the backorder list.

http://www.buffaloarms.com/45_110_Sh....aspx?CAT=4443