Quantcast
Anyone here shoot IDPA or ICORE with a snubby? - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Handguns: Revolvers

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old October 17, 2014, 04:37 PM   #1
1KPerDay

Anyone here shoot IDPA or ICORE with a snubby?

The only revolvers I own that don't need work currently are snubs. I'm concerned that the cases may not reliably eject with the short ejector.

Is this a valid reason to buy a really expensive revolver? In other words, what will convince my wife that we don't really need a vacation?
Old October 17, 2014, 05:09 PM   #2
BCRider

Shooting matches and plinking days IS a vacation. Just tell her that you're buying guns instead of airline fares.....

yeah, like THAT will work....

I don't know about the real short snubbies but a couple of guys locally use 3" barrel S&W's and do just fine.

Besides, don't you want to find out? Maybe take some spent casings and insert them, close the action then do a fast reload style open, tip and stab at the ejector and see how it works out. Generally if held close to vertical and given a good stab I've yet to see any revolver fail to eject quite easily provided the chambers aren't gummed up badly with fouling.

Also take along a .40 caliber brush on a short cleaning rod extension and trundle over to a SAFE area and give the chambers a good brushing out after ever second stage or so. Or if going well you can just brush 'em out at the lunch break.

I'm all for buying a new gun at the drop of a hat. But I'd be even MORE keen on actually trying out such a gun to see how well a real working snubbie fares against the more match favoured options. And not JUST the gun either. I'd be equally interested in how I did.

We get so focused on trying to win that it's all to easy to forget that the whole point is to have fun first. And from where I'm typing a chance to run through an IDPA day or five with an honest to gosh deep cover snubbie would make me grin far more than losing out to some of the others that I normally shoot close to or even those that I normally beat. And besides, if you can STILL beat them then the smile you wear will be all that much sweeter when it comes to the good natured smack talk.....
Old October 17, 2014, 05:41 PM   #3
Sam1911

The bigger issue is if your "snubs" are 5-shots. It's enough "fun" to reload after every six, but at least most stages are 6-shot friendly-ish.

Running an "el Prez" or whatever with a 5-shot wheelgun is more fun than anybody wants to have.

Having said that, CDNN and J&G sales often have security company trade-in S&W Model 64s for about $250. 4" DA-only .38 Spc. carried a lot and shot very little.

They're fixed-sight models but about perfect for IDPA, and cheaper than guns of much lower quality.

"...with liberty and justice for all." (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states.)
-D. Stanhope

Sights Practical Shooters -- IDPA

My Knife Showroom
Old October 17, 2014, 05:47 PM   #4
1KPerDay

Yeah. But $250 is still $250 I don't have at the moment.

I have a model 10 and model 37. I'd run the M10 as I have 10 speedloaders (HKS) for it. I don't have speedloader carriers so I'd be pulling them out of a pocket. So it's not like I'm going to be fast anyway.

I think I'll try it. Oops... just realized I don't have a holster (I don't think).

Old October 17, 2014, 06:09 PM   #5
Sam1911

Oh, sure! A Model 64 is just a model 10 in stainless. Run it!

Yeah, you need a holster. I use the "Sable" model from www.shado.com for my 629 in IDPA. $35 the last time I checked, and mine's still wonderful after 4-5 years of use.

"...with liberty and justice for all." (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states.)
-D. Stanhope

My Knife Showroom
Old October 17, 2014, 10:59 PM   #6
BCRider

I'm officially green with envy after seeing those pictures.
Old October 18, 2014, 04:57 AM   #7
9mmepiphany

I'll let you know in a couple of months.

I promised myself that I'd give SSR a try after our state match...2 weeks ago

The only revolver I still have that is even close to SSR is a 2.5" M66.

I'm going to:
1. draw it out of a Fobus paddle holster for a 4" gun
2. reload it with Safariland Comp II speedloaders out of my old duty pouches (with the covers folded back)

I've done some research and know:
1. not to load it down to the IDPA minimum 105 PF
2. polish the chambers
3. brush them out between stages (like in my PPC days)
4. turn gun completely vertical and rap the ejection rod sharply
5. Shoot every stage like a Limited Vicker's count...and don't miss steel

The hold up now is just coming up with a load without having to buy more powder. I have a big jug of WST and some Xtreme 125gr plated bullets...but I have thousands of cases I'e saved over the years

Correct Grip
DA Trigger Management
How to Dryfire and Hit Stuff

Forum Rules
Old October 18, 2014, 07:35 AM   #8
MrBorland

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mmepiphany
I've done some research and know:
1. not to load it down to the IDPA minimum 105 PF
2. polish the chambers
3. brush them out between stages (like in my PPC days)
4. turn gun completely vertical and rap the ejection rod sharply
5. Shoot every stage like a Limited Vicker's count...and don't miss steel

True dat.
Old October 18, 2014, 07:57 AM   #9
HexHead

IDPA often run dedicated BUG matches for snubbies.

"And a bayonet Sir! With some guts behind it!" (CS Bourne)
Old October 18, 2014, 09:22 AM   #10
Hometeached1

I can't help with running one in a match. (was going to run my 2" 10 today, but life happened.)

In practicing I've not had any problem ejecting spent cases from my 642 or M10 (about 700 rds, so not a lot, but still a good bit.) when using the stessfire method.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oXUwI_d8JlA

"I rather be shot in the foot with a .50BMG than a .22 short to the base of the skull." Unknown.
Old October 21, 2014, 03:46 PM   #11
1KPerDay

I was considering trying the stressfire method but wondered if I'd get yelled at by the SO for "muzzleing" my hand (with a 2" barrel).

I ran a few speedloaders worth through the M10 yesterday to check a new load (3.7 HP-38 under MBC 158 LRN) and they work fine. Accurate, hit to POA. Maybe a bit sharp on the recoil but that's probably the grips. They get me at the joint of my thumb to hand.

I'll have to trial chamber all of my rounds before the match; I had a couple with bulged brass that jammed up. Some winchester brass with internal ridge about halfway down or something... almost like an internal crimp. In any case, after loading, the circumferential ridge isn't really visible or tactile but you can see it after attempting to chamber.
Old October 21, 2014, 08:31 PM   #12
BCRider

As long as the cylinder is open by the time your hand goes to into the ejection slap you shouldn't get called for muzzling. With the cylinder open nothing bad is going to occur after all.
Old October 21, 2014, 08:45 PM   #13
MrBorland

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCRider
As long as the cylinder is open by the time your hand goes to into the ejection slap you shouldn't get called for muzzling. With the cylinder open nothing bad is going to occur after all.
Yes, that sounds logical, but I don't think it's true, since it breaks the first safety rule. You'll be DQ'd if your muzzle breaks the 180 under the same conditions, for instance, and I don't think IDPA sees it any differently for a hand that sweeps the muzzle while the cylinder's open.

Last edited by MrBorland; October 21, 2014 at 08:54 PM.
Old October 21, 2014, 09:53 PM   #14
Sam1911

Yeah, that's one of those real tough spots for wheelgun guys in the gun games. Most SOs get a little lenient with revolver shooters, but (even as one of them!) I'll warn guys who bring that muzzle up near the 180, or get their hands out near the front.

A muzzle violation is what it is, and will get you DQ'd.

-D. Stanhope

My Knife Showroom
Old October 21, 2014, 09:59 PM   #15
Hometeached1

Man, how are you suppose to eject the brass then? I didn't even think about that.

"I rather be shot in the foot with a .50BMG than a .22 short to the base of the skull." Unknown.
Old October 21, 2014, 10:11 PM   #16
Sam1911

How?

Here's some ideas: http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=718237

-D. Stanhope

My Knife Showroom
Old October 22, 2014, 06:21 AM   #17
MrBorland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam1911
A muzzle violation is what it is, and will get you DQ'd.
Yup. Awareness of your muzzle is an important part of a good reload, so keep it in mind while you practice, so that muzzle awareness during your reload becomes second nature. Here's a pic of me during a reload, and I recall when I first saw it, my eyes went directly to the muzzle to first be sure that was ok.

Sam1911 covered the "how" in his link pretty well, and I'll only clarify "the 180": IDPA doesn't actually use the "180 rule" - they establish safe points beyond which your muzzle may not go. Often, those points are the 180, but when they're not, it'll be mentioned during the stage brief, so listen carefully.
Old October 22, 2014, 09:32 AM   #18
FotoTomas

Every IDPA match I shoot has my pistol, when holstered, with the barrel pointing down and to the rear breaking the 180. Most of the forward rake holsters I see on the line do as well. A picky point but true nonetheless.

I shoot revolvers in ICORE and IDPA. I have shot 2", 2.5", 3", 3.5" as well as my normal 4' guns and my old 5" .45 when that was IDPA legal oh so many years ago. all were six shooters. I have used the little "J" frames for side matches but those were five shot affairs and rarely was a reload required other than an occasional mandatory for a fun BUG match. I use the strong hand reload but I also slap the ejector rod with my strong hand before I go for the reload. I hold the revolver straight up because gravity is your friend. I have to the best of my knowledge never brought the muzzle back further than straight up and never been called out for any of my revolver reloads.

I have plans to get another 2" model 10 down the road and will use it as well in the occasional IDPA match. Since I often carry revolvers off duty...best to get in some quality trigger time with them.
Old October 22, 2014, 09:50 AM   #19
Sam1911

Quote:
Every IDPA match I shoot has my pistol, when holstered, with the barrel pointing down and to the rear breaking the 180. Most of the forward rake holsters I see on the line do as well. A picky point but true nonetheless.
True. And a concession that's made to practicality, sort of like how we don't yell "MUZZLE!" every time a wheelgun shooter reloads.

However, I've seen multiple guys DQ'd for letting that muzzle come back past their feet when reholstering. Yes, get it in the holster. NO, don't let it swing any further back.

-D. Stanhope

My Knife Showroom
Old October 22, 2014, 05:41 PM   #20
Hometeached1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam1911 View Post
Thanks Sam1911.

The only method I see that doesn't put your hand forward of the barrel is in post #8 that you posted.

I tried it with clean chambers and midrange in power fired brass have trouble ejecting all 6 cases in both my 2" snubbies unless I "snap" the gun while ejecting the brass with my thumb.

Guess I'll just stick to the Stressfire method and hope I don't get DQ'd.

Old October 24, 2014, 04:59 PM   #21
dwhite

If it's all you've got, run it. At worst you'll improve your skill
level with it.

When buying new guns I remind my wife, gun to buy and tinker
with is +/- $500.

1968 Camaro SS is over ten times that. Plus I'll need to build a
garage.

She always goes for the gun.

All the Best,
D. White
Old October 25, 2014, 07:20 AM   #22
Lloyd Smale

once shot a round of ppc with a ruger alaskan 454. The people standing next to me were allowed to shoot another round for free
Old October 25, 2014, 04:49 PM   #23
9mmepiphany

...not that unusual, they'll do the same if folks on the line are shooting "ball" instead of "wadcutters"

Correct Grip
DA Trigger Management
How to Dryfire and Hit Stuff

Forum Rules