Quantcast
A pair of 460 mags - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Handguns: Revolvers

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old August 23, 2014, 10:49 PM   #1
460Kodiak

A pair of 460 mags

I'm just sharing. I recently was very lucky to find a Ruger No. 1 chambered for S&W 460 magnum. Man those Ruger single shots are gorgeous rifles. It sure does look pretty sitting next to my 460V. Now I just need to finish this god awful stretch of working seven days a week so I can go shoot it and my hand cannon. I can't wait to get some chrony results with them side by side and really see what the velocity difference is.

Pictures kind of stink, but they're not too bad given I took them with an iPhone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (98.2 KB, 143 views)
Friend.... "You should be 460Kodiak....... yeah"
Me........ "Great...... now I have to grow a mullet."
Old August 23, 2014, 10:51 PM   #2
460Kodiak

Sorry, one at a time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (92.1 KB, 137 views)
Old August 23, 2014, 10:54 PM   #3
460Kodiak

This ones kind of neat. I gotta get my camera from my office.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (49.7 KB, 139 views)
Old August 23, 2014, 10:57 PM   #4
ArchAngelCD

I'm guessing there isn't a large Bear anywhere in North America that's safe with that combination around. That is one beautiful rifle you have there!
Old August 24, 2014, 04:55 AM   #5
41 Mag

I think you done yourself proud on that purchase, hope she shoots as well as she looks.

Fine looking combo there.

41 Mag's - Photobucket Page
Old August 24, 2014, 09:37 AM   #6
dickydalton

I need a rifle like that to go with my 8 3/8" XVR. Congrats to you. Mind Telling us what it cost?
Old August 24, 2014, 09:45 AM   #7
bannockburn

Beautiful combo! That Ruger No. 1 is sweet!
Old August 24, 2014, 09:50 AM   #8
JohnM

Now, that's nice. You going to scope the rifle? Be real curious how that round does in a rifle barrel. I'm sure impressed with my 8 3/8" XVR.
Old August 24, 2014, 11:57 AM   #9
460Kodiak

Man, now that I look at those pictures on a big screen, the first two are grainy as heck, and not doing the Ruger stock any favors. The wood on that rifle is beautiful in person. I'll take some better pics.

I imagine you're right ArchAngel. I think the two together make a fine hunting combo. I'm hoping to plug an elk in my neck of the woods as they are thick here. A moose may be in my future too if I decide to move or travel to do it, but I figure a good hand cannon is a good idea as a side arm in any bear inhabited area. I need to get some Nill grips for the revolver, because those Hogues are just nasty looking. Effective though.

Velocities should be impressive out of the Ruger. I'll start out with the 200 gr. Hornady loads to see how she handles, and then progress upwards to some of heavier loads from Winchester, Cor-Bon, and Buffalo Bore. I'm not sure if I'm going to scope it or not. I want to see how I do with iron sights first.

This thread is several years old, but another member put out some velocity info from a 20" Thompson, and the numbers are pretty shocking in the 200 gr. load.
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=289187

The Ruger has a 22" barrel, which I'm hoping Ruger chose because it is the optimum length for this cartridge in a rifle. So the velocities may be a scooch faster.

Quote:
Posted by dickydalton: I need a rifle like that to go with my 8 3/8" XVR. Congrats to you. Mind Telling us what it cost?
You're likely to have a difficult time finding one dicky. Ruger didn't make a tremendous number of No. 1's chambered in 460 as far as I understand it, but that is based on observations of Gunbroker.com, GunsAmerica, and making the normal rounds to my LGS's. The best of my local shops used to carry a lot of No.1's and I never ever found one in 460. I did ask about ordering one, and the store rep quoted me $1010.00, if he could find one.

Fast forward four years later, to today, and the low numbers are apparent. Ruger stopped chambering the No. 1 two or three years ago in 460 mag, and they are really hard to find. I'm actually embarrassed to admit what I paid for this gun. I found it on Gunbroker.com new in the box, and there were two other people who really wanted it too. All in, for the rifle, the shipping, the credit card fee, and the FFL transfer fee........... $1657

This was my grail rifle though, it's already paid for, and I don't regret it a bit. I've wanted one for several years, and frankly I though I'd never find one, much less one that was new in the box. This one will be passed on when I die, along with the revolver to someone who will appreciate them.

I learned something too from this experience. If you see a gun being chambered in an unexpected, or odd cartridge for that particular model gun, and you want one, just save asap and buy asap while they are in production. Because the odd ball offerings don't usually last too long on the factory production line, and then you pay waaaaaayyyyyyyy more for it later on when you do manage to find one. Funny, S&W stopped making the 460V for a few years too, and mine happens to be from several years ago. I thought "No way! Really?" A year later I was seeing them priced at $1500 on gunbroker. Now that S&W is making them again, I see them priced back around $1000-$1100.

Of course, life doesn't always allow for that. I could in no way justify dropping over a grand back when I first discovered this gun on Ruger's website. I had debt to pay off. Now, I'm debt free, and while it wasn't a responsible purchase, it is certainly more manageable than before.

My next item to save for will be one of these with wallnut and a case hardened finish.
http://www.bighornarmory.com/catalog...e-460-sandw-6/

I don't yet own a lever gun, so I figure, what the heck. I need to save, but I have a feeling someday these will be worth a pretty penny. And even if it isn't........ I kind of have a thing for 460 if you haven't noticed.

Last edited by 460Kodiak; August 24, 2014 at 02:00 PM.
Old August 24, 2014, 12:47 PM   #10
tarosean

very nice
Old August 24, 2014, 12:51 PM   #11
critter

I really like the looks of those Ruger rifles. I have one that looks just like yours but mine is chambered in 45-70. What a fun gun! (I reload.) I can load up loads with big, heavy bullets at high enough velocity to hunt backhoes and bull dozers. I can also load up slower, lighter loads for plinking: BOOM-wait-wait-wait-THWACK.

AND it will kill deer and hogs DEAD! What else could one want!!??

I'm sure yours is quite comparable in effectiveness as well as fun. ENJOY!
Old August 24, 2014, 02:12 PM   #12
Rat Robb

Thats a very nice combo you've got there. The price isn't embarrassing at all, well worth it.

-Robb
Old August 24, 2014, 03:34 PM   #13
Tophernj

Remember, you won't ever pay too much, you just may pay too soon.

C
Old August 25, 2014, 12:59 AM   #14
dickydalton

That was a great deal, 460 and I congratulate you again. Does it have gain twist rifling like the XVR?
Old August 25, 2014, 07:53 AM   #15
bannockburn

Kodiak460

Wow, didn't think you could top that Ruger/S&W combo but that Bighorn Armory levergun would certainly do it! Let us know who well the No.1 does at the range.
Old August 25, 2014, 09:51 AM   #16
460Kodiak

Quote:
Remember, you won't ever pay too much, you just may pay too soon.
Well, in this case I paid too late, and since it's an out of production chambering, it became a possible "pay now, or pay never" situation. I'm just glad I found one and got to pay at all.

Quote:
Does it have gain twist rifling like the XVR?
I don't know for sure, but I don't think so. Gain twist rifling is meant to stabilize a heavy bullet at high speeds from a barrel that is normally two short to do so from my understanding. I've also read that by having a reduced rate of turn at in the forcing cone, the wear on a forcing cone done my slamming a high speed heavy projectile into it repeatedly will be lessened. Since this is a rifle and not a revolver, there is no barrel cylinder gap to jump and no true forcing cone, and it has a longer barrel, I see no reason for it to have gain twist rifling.

I don't know enough about the errosion that can be caused by a heavy fast bullet engaging rifling. Maybe someone with some engineering or smithing experience will chime in on this topic.

Quote:
Wow, didn't think you could top that Ruger/S&W combo but that Bighorn Armory levergun would certainly do it!
Yeah I think it would be a really nice addition since it's a different beast than the Ruger being that it has a 4 in shorter barrel and a 6 shot magazine. No reason not to add a short range, brush gun, angry beasty thumper to the lineup. Man, I really gotta save though. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Last edited by 460Kodiak; August 25, 2014 at 10:06 AM.
Old August 25, 2014, 02:18 PM   #17
Walkalong

Very, very nice. I wouldn't mind shooting the rifle.

"Oh bother" said Pooh, as he chambered another round. Author unknown.