Quantcast
need help with new gun buy??? - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Handguns: Revolvers

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old August 20, 2014, 12:00 AM   #1
old fart

need help with new gun buy???

i took my ccdw test the other day, i passed and outshot everyone there with my ruger service six, yes the same service six i at one time thought of trading or selling because of a little rust and a few tiny pits. not anymore as at 7yds double action 20rds tore a hole in the plyboard that my fist would go through. i was the only one there with a revolver, now to my question. i have a safariland 568 for my service six, and will use it till i get another gun, but now it seems i can get another gun in about two months. i want a revolver and a ruger if i can, what do ya'll suggest? the 357 lcr or the 357 sp101? mabe something else? i know it's two months but i like to plan ahead, thanks
Old August 20, 2014, 01:53 AM   #2
Twiki357

Whichever one is the most comfortable in your hand.
Old August 20, 2014, 06:34 AM   #3
funklord12

I am leaning toward the LCR for a carry gun.

First, it is roughly 10 oz lighter than the SP101. Great for CCW day in and day out.
Secondly, it reportedly has a nice DA pull. In a defensive scenario, you will be using DA exclusively.

Get a SP101 if you want a revolver that will pull double duty as CCW and range gun. The extra weight will help out on the range.
Old August 20, 2014, 07:39 AM   #4
RealGun

They are both lousy as 357, unless you're a big guy with a grip of iron. You'll back off to 38 Special, so you might as well buy a nice 38 Special or something heavier to handle the 357. You already have the best 357 for carry, assuming 357 caliber and 4" barrel. Buying a 357, knowing you will shoot 38, doesn't make sense to me. If you reload, then you can make it work, but it will shoot like a 38.

An LCR looks appealing in 38 for a backup or deeper concealment gun. Buying the 38-only version, with or without an exposed hammer, would be an option within Ruger. I don't care for the SP101 in 38, because the cylinder window is sized for 357 Magnum. It is easier to forgive that in the smaller. lighter LCR with superior DA action.

Last edited by RealGun; August 20, 2014 at 07:48 AM.
Old August 20, 2014, 08:22 AM   #5
moxie

Ditto what RealGun said.

The .38 +P LCR is a great pocket gun in an Uncle Mike's #3 or a Nemesis holster. Nice sights and trigger. .38+P is all you want out of these light guns, IMO.

U.S. Air Force Munitions, 1969-1992
Vietnam, 1972-1973
Old August 20, 2014, 10:53 AM   #6
old fart

RealGUN: You already have the best 357 for carry, assuming 357 caliber and 4" barrel.

yes my service six is 4 inch barrel 357, it shoots the best i have ever seen. outshot everyone there at the class, i've shot out to 20yds with it and can keep all shots in a saucer size area shooting a double grip offhand. i just thought mabe a smaller gun in summer would be easier but i also know there is no way i'll get another gun new or used that shoots as good as my ruger service six. i for sure want a 357 and something different from the service six, one poster has told me just use it and get the best holster and ammo. thanks
Old August 20, 2014, 11:27 AM   #7
RealGun

They cost a premium in many cases, but how about a Speed Six with a shorter barrel? The round butt grip frame conceals a little better than the Service Six square butts. Note that you will be giving up your adjustable sights with all these guns.
Old August 20, 2014, 12:35 PM   #8
mcappys

I like the LCR in 357, easy to carry, shoot 38's or 357's
they even come with a small hammer on some now if
you want.