Quantcast
Question about GP100 sights and possible barrel alignment issue... - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Handguns: Revolvers

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old December 31, 2014, 12:55 PM   #1
MIL-DOT

Question about GP100 sights and possible barrel alignment issue...

I bought a new Ruger GP100, 6" stainless, several years back, and it shot WAY to the right. So I adjusted the rear sight, more and more to the left till it was finally on target. But, the sights are now WAY off to the left, and it's always annoyed me, but I love the pistol otherwise, so I just wrote it off as one of Ruger's refinement issues.
But then, just recently have been reading that this could be the result of a barrel mis-alignment, and thought I should run it by the experts on a couple forums before doing anything like calling Ruger.
So, is this a legitimate concern worth doing somethign about, or just one of them things?
BTW, if it matters, I've only fired it maybe 3 or 4 times,no more than a box each time, and probably never shot any .357's through it, only .38's.
Old December 31, 2014, 12:58 PM   #2
nathan

RUger has good customer service.
Old December 31, 2014, 01:19 PM   #3
MIL-DOT

Oh yeah, I realize that ,but I'd hate to go through the headache (and risk) of shipping a favorite pistol, as well as waiting for weeks on end to get it back, if there's not really an issue to be concerned about.
Old December 31, 2014, 02:11 PM   #4
gotboostvr

Have you fired many other revolvers? You may be pulling/pushing your shots. Let someone else try a cylinder, preferably someone known to be a decent revolver shooter. If you don't know anyone, a range officer may be a safe(ish) bet. Or try shooting it off bags.
Or rent a range revolver and see if you shoot that any better.
Eliminate yourself before assuming it's the gun. I had a similar problem awhile ago with a pistol I was not used to.
Old December 31, 2014, 02:49 PM   #5
DPris

It's an issue if it bothers you, otherwise no.
Sounds like the barrel's fractionally out of correct alignment & needs to be turned.
Easy fix for Ruger, if you want to go through the hassle of shipping. They'd probably pay costs, but you'd need to also go through the nuisance of picking it up & the paperwork at your local FFL on the way back.

Ruger's policy is to ship all returns to an FFL, instead of the owner, regardless of who shipped it to them.

If you don't mind the looks of your rear sight, just leave it as is.
If it bothers you, ship it or consider a local guy just turning it slightly for you.
Denis
Old December 31, 2014, 02:53 PM   #6
CraigC
Contributing Member

Quote:
Ruger's policy is to ship all returns to an FFL, instead of the owner, regardless of who shipped it to them.
I know they do that (unnecessarily) for replacements but for repairs as well?

"Wise men learn by others’ harms; fools by their own." - Benjamin Franklin

http://www.sixgunleather.com
Old December 31, 2014, 02:56 PM   #7
DPris

Yes.
Twice with me during the past 18 months or so.
Most recent a new Kodiak Backpacker a couple months back.

Major nuisance, since it's a 50-mile round trip drive to me dealer to pick 'em up when Ruger does that.
Denis
Old December 31, 2014, 02:58 PM   #8
CaptHank

I sent a NMBH to them, this summer for repair. They sent it back to me. Is this a new policy?
Old December 31, 2014, 03:01 PM   #9
DPris

If that's so, then they've made an exception of me, apparently, and I apologize for the misinformation.
Disregard me there.
Denis
Old December 31, 2014, 03:15 PM   #10
buck460XVR

Maybe it's me, but if there was enough adjustment in the sights and the gun now shoots accurately to POA, the position of the rear sight would be a moot point. Why would they put that much amount of adjustment in a rear sight if they did not intend for folks to use it?

Theiyr're...........take that Grammar Nazis!
Old December 31, 2014, 03:36 PM   #11
DPris

Got me to wondering on this Kodiak, dug up the original billing invoice.
I knew Ruger does replacements via FFLs, just assumed they were doing repairs the same way when this one came back to the dealer instead of me.

Thought maybe they'd done a replacement instead of a repair.
I very rarely send anything back to them for work, usually have minor stuff done locally where I have more control over the results.

The Kodiak had an odd muzzle crown & a sticky trigger return, I didn't want to tie it up at my local guy for 6 months on those so sent it to Ruger instead.

Billing invoice serial agreed with the gun here, so no replacement.
No idea why the dealer was involved on it coming back.

Abject apologies for the mis-information.

In Mil's case, if that rear blade was waaaaaay over to one side, I'd be annoyed.
Ruger occasionally ships with a barrel either over or under-turned, in most it's a minor case.

Denis
Old December 31, 2014, 03:39 PM   #12
MIL-DOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotboostvr View Post
Have you fired many other revolvers? .
Yes, and I generally prefer shooting them to semi-autos.

Quote:
You may be pulling/pushing your shots.
Then why aren't I "pulling shots" with the rear sight leaf jacked way off to the left. That ain't it.

Quote:
Let someone else try a cylinder, preferably someone known to be a decent revolver shooter.
This is a fairly routine practice of mine when breaking in a new gun, I like to have a 2nd opinion, from one knowledgable and skilled shooting freind in particular, on everything from the trigger characteristics to POI.

Quote:
Or try shooting it off bags.
Shooting from a rest is usually the very first thing I'll do if there's any question about a weapon's accuracy and POI.

Quote:
Eliminate yourself before assuming it's the gun.
Again, it's now shooting straight, off-hand, and from a rest, for me and others. If the pistol was fine straight out of the box, and my technique was the problem, then obviously turning the sight far to the left would have screwed it up, not fixed it.
Old December 31, 2014, 03:47 PM   #13
MIL-DOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck460XVR View Post
Why would they put that much amount of adjustment in a rear sight if they did not intend for folks to use it?
Fallacious reasoning. Lots of things have a wide adjustment range, but usually aren't actually meant to be used there, like the volume knob on a stereo or TV, a cars gas pedal that goes to the floor, the hot water knob in your shower,etc.etc.
If the rear sight leaf is hanging way over one edge, I'd say that was out of the normal range of adjustment,
Old December 31, 2014, 03:53 PM   #14
MIL-DOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPris View Post
Well that sucks. If it appears this is genuinely return-worthy, then I wouldn't mind a trip to my FFL too much if a full replacement was deemed necessary, but for a simple repair, that's a ridiculous policy, and I'd probably skip the entire ordeal. I had S&W ship a 586 back to me a couple years back, I see no reason for this over-kill policy from Ruger.
Maybe Bill isn't dead, afterall?
Old December 31, 2014, 04:04 PM   #15
DPris

See my above correction & apology re that return policy.
Denis
Old December 31, 2014, 04:44 PM   #16
Salmoneye

Quote:
If the rear sight leaf is hanging way over one edge, I'd say that was out of the normal range of adjustment,
So it's your contention that the OP broke it?

I have to agree with buck460XVR...The adjustment range is there for a reason...
That the people have a right to bear arms for the defence of themselves and the State--and as standing armies in the time of peace are dangerous to liberty, they ought not to be kept up; and that the military should be kept under strict subordination to and governed by the civil power.
Old December 31, 2014, 04:56 PM   #17
rcmodel
Contributing Member

I am OCD enough that would drive me crazy looking at it.

Unless it is caused by the OP's shooting grip or something?
I would have to get it fixed so the sight is reasonably centered in the base.

Thats just they way they are supposed to be.

They are not supposed to be cranked all the way over to one side or the other to zero the gun.

rc
Old December 31, 2014, 05:46 PM   #18
DPris

There IS such a thing as too MUCH adjustment.
Denis
Old December 31, 2014, 05:52 PM   #19
MIL-DOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmodel View Post
They are not supposed to be cranked all the way over to one side or the other to zero the gun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPris View Post
There IS such a thing as too MUCH adjustment.
Denis
I know,right?
Old December 31, 2014, 06:12 PM   #20
Salmoneye

Perhaps we should inform the gun-maker engineers that they are designing their rear sights incorrectly...

That the people have a right to bear arms for the defence of themselves and the State--and as standing armies in the time of peace are dangerous to liberty, they ought not to be kept up; and that the military should be kept under strict subordination to and governed by the civil power.
Old December 31, 2014, 06:12 PM   #21
MrBorland

I agree there shouldn't need to be that much adjustment necessary.

The top of the barrel and the top of the frame are fairly squared off, so if the barrel's clocked, I'm thinking you ought to be able to see (or measure) some asymmetry between the left and right side at the barrel/frame junction.

If the barrel's clocked, I'd get it fixed. It'd drive me nuts as well.
Old December 31, 2014, 06:13 PM   #22
Water-Man

Just call Ruger CS to inquire what's involved. What's the big deal?
Old December 31, 2014, 06:15 PM   #23
DPris

Sal,
No, perhaps we should inform the gunmakers they are installing their barrels incorrectly.
Which both Smith & Ruger have been known to do in recent times.
Denis
Old December 31, 2014, 06:21 PM   #24
Salmoneye

My Rugers with adjustable sights are from the 70's through the early 90's...

My only Smith is from the 80's, and all of them have the same rear sights as the current crop, and they are all adjusted off 'center' to bring POI to POA...

This is nothing 'recent', and is why adjustable sights were designed in the first place...

I suppose we could all go back to bending and filing our front sights to get a gun to shoot to POA...
Old December 31, 2014, 06:21 PM   #25
jmr40

I had a Ruger Super Blackhawk do that once. I had to adjust the rear sight till it nearly fell off just to get it close. Closer examination showed the barrel at a very slight angle.

I had purchased the gun used, took it back to the store where I got full credit for something else. The shop returned it to Ruger who replaced the barrel. They eventually sold it after being repaired.

It does happen.