Quantcast
Typical black powder store? - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Blackpowder Shooting

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old May 5, 2015, 01:23 AM   #1
herrwalther

Typical black powder store?

A new building is under construction in the small town I currently live. Asking around it is going to be a black powder shop. Nothing big box just a mom and pop store. What I currently know about black powder can fit in a thimble with plenty of room left over. However with this building going up I might have an excuse to learn. What else do most local BP stores sell? For example to some carry loading components for center fire? Ammo? Knives?
Old May 5, 2015, 04:11 AM   #2
alexander45

Never heard of a store just for black powder stuff, normally it's just a gun shop that may have a few bp guns laying around.heck as far as i have been able to find out there's only one shop in Maricopa county that sells real bp and they are a small ammo manufacturing gig that sells the powder on the side
Old May 5, 2015, 05:31 AM   #3
pdsmith505

I suppose it could be everything from build it yourself kentucky rifle kits to legitimate antiques to modern, in-line hunting rigs.

There's cap and ball revolvers, BP cartridges, percussion, flint lock, wheel lock, match lock...

It's a niche, but a big one.

Last edited by pdsmith505; May 5, 2015 at 11:25 PM. Reason: de-sailored
Old May 5, 2015, 05:39 AM   #4
ku4hx

If all they sell is black powder and related goods, the store is going to be pretty small. All of the local Cabela's black powder and associated paraphernalia would fit in one small cabinet. They have powder, patches, bullets, sabots and etc. I haven't seen any guns but I'm sure they're there.

Black powder is always in stock. I have yet to see any pistol smokeless propellant, there is some rifle and there are a few primers. That tells me in this area, demand for BP stuff is pretty low.

BP has a dedicated following. But I'd guess the store is going to offer more than just black powder.
Old May 5, 2015, 06:22 AM   #5
pockets

There are a few still....the nearest to me is log Cabin shop in Lodi, OH.
Have a look at their website if you want to now what a typical BP shop sells.
www.logcabinshop.com/

My favorite BP shop used to be 'Golden Age Arms'...originally 2 blocks from my house, then in Delaware OH, then in Ashley OH...then closed.

Track of The Wolf is typical of a good BP type shop also.
www.trackofthewolf.com/

The internet closed some of them down....it's just easier to buy parts online.
Old May 5, 2015, 06:52 AM   #6
StrawHat

A typical black powder store can be pretty exciting. The Log Cabin is still my favorite store to shop in. I have been going there for nearly 50 years and watched it grow from a one room shop to a large complex complete with museum and learning center.

You can buy everything from parts to make your own kit, factory kits, completed factory muzzle loaders, custom built muzzle loaders, antiques, C&B revolvers, reloading supplies, powder, clothing, books, etc.

Who are the owners and where is it being built? That might give us a clue as to what kind of shop is going in.

Kevin

I don't know all the answers but I have made most of the mistakes and lived to tell about them.

www.NoonSharpening.com
Old May 5, 2015, 10:00 AM   #7
Texas Moon

There used to be a BP shop near here.
Shop specialized in BP firearms but also carried a fair amount of modern reproductions of Old West cartridge guns.
The shop pretty much looked like a Dixie Gun Works catalog come to life.
Wanted to look at a Bess? It was there. Hawken? It was there. 1858 Remmie? It was there. 1816 Musket? It was there. 1866 Yellow Boy? It was there. etc.
Where the shop excelled(IMO) was all the period accessories it stocked.
He carried all manner of re-enactment equipment. Tents,barrels, canteens, knives. I think the only thing he didn't have was uniforms.
Another thing the guy did was custom made cleaning rods. He could make you any length range rod you might need. I had him make several lengths. Good solid rods with large handles. Still have them.
Sadly the guy aged out and sold the shop. It didn't last long after that.
Old May 5, 2015, 10:59 AM   #8
Patocazador

Building a store, even a small one, nowadays is a big investment. It seems odd that a limited selection shop would build rather than rent.

To make a new business profitable, especially in a small town, you have to have enough cash/credit to lose money for 2 years. After that people assume you are there to stay and start dealing there instead of the bigger town 15-50 miles away.

Bob
Old May 5, 2015, 01:55 PM   #9
swathdiver

The fellow making the investment in a building might just also be a gunsmith and make his own antique firearms. Anyone can buy a Remington 700 but in this shop you can have a man make the gun of your dreams and have it fitted to your physique as well.
"Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new." 2 Corinthians 5:17
Old May 5, 2015, 04:36 PM   #10
desidog

Where?

Unless the town happens to be located at a major Civil War battle site / tourist attraction, I assume they'll have a tough time getting enough business.
Old May 5, 2015, 05:52 PM   #11
patmccoy

Unless part of the business plan is to offer catalog and online sales, like Dixie, Track of the Wolf, and Log Cabin.
Old May 5, 2015, 05:53 PM   #12
hmoos

Our nearest gunsmith shop is 75 miles away. Little town. No tourist attraction. It will still be a couple of months' wait for any major work. He apparently has all the work he can handle. There may be others doing gunsmithing work, but his is the only fulltime shop I know of. We have a great CSA range here right outside town, but no local source of supplies. It's either drive or pay Haz-Mat fees for supplies.
Old May 5, 2015, 06:17 PM   #13
Malachi Leviticus Blue

There used to be a real cool place only several minutes from my first home called Ye Old Blackpowder Shoppe in Auburn, MI. It was in a log fronted building dedicated entirely to BP guns, parts and accessories. The guy there was possibly the friendliest and most helpful person I ever did business with. It was actually larger with more inventory than most small gun shops I've seen. I never understood how it could make a profit since it was in a fairly rural area, and so specialized. (I'm not sure it did)
I believe it closed down in 2003
Old May 5, 2015, 07:46 PM   #14
Ray P

Second what Malachi Leviticus Blue said. The place was about a mile from my grandparents place on Garfield when they were alive, and I stopped in every time I was up that way. Pretty sure he had a stock replicating service and small BP gunsmithing operation in back during the peak. Later, that part turned into a private museum?

Way I heard it, the owner had multiple cancer bouts and the family finally had to liquidate the store to pay medical bills.

In my current location, there is The Possibles Shop located about an hour south in Roswell NM. They've been a great source of hard-to-find supplies when I was in Seattle area for a few years. Still haven't checked to see if they have a store front.

Last edited by Ray P; May 5, 2015 at 07:54 PM. Reason: Added info regarding Possibles Shop
Old May 5, 2015, 09:04 PM   #15
230RN
Contributing Member

Quote:
Never heard of a store just for black powder stuff, normally it's just a gun shop that may have a few bp guns laying around.heck as far as i have been able to find out there's only one shop in Maricopa county that sells real bp and they are a small ammo manufacturing gig that sells the powder on the side

http://theblunderbuss.com/

Great store, BP only.

Don't forget that as the number of Federally-prohibited persons increases, the more attractive BP arms are.

Terry
Old May 5, 2015, 10:52 PM   #16
Steel Horse Rider

There is a store near me that sells black powder, balls, patches, percussion caps and other black powder supplies, but they also sell hunting knives, smokeless ammunition, reloading supplies including smokeless powder, and many other accessories for hunting, shooting, and cowboy shooting. They are in a small town but seem to keep plenty busy.
Old May 5, 2015, 10:59 PM   #17
J-Bar

The Muzzleloader Shop in North Little Rock, Arkansas is owned and operated by Mr. Dykes Reber, a delightful gentleman and expert machinist. Every black powder enthusiast within driving range should patronize his shop.

http://www.themuzzleloadershop.com
Old May 6, 2015, 01:44 AM   #18
herrwalther

Thanks for all the replies so far. I am optimistic that they will sell more than BP supplies. I will definitely visit the shop at least once. More if they carry stuff I am interested in. Heck even if they just sell BP, I would go there to support a local shop and learn the trade. BP season is 3x longer than regular rifle season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku4hx
If all they sell is black powder and related goods, the store is going to be pretty small. All of the local Cabela's black powder and associated paraphernalia would fit in one small cabinet. They have powder, patches, bullets, sabots and etc. I haven't seen any guns but I'm sure they're there.
I am not sure what counts as a small store. Judging from the length and width of the building, this store will be between 1500 and 2000 square feet. Not large compared to a Cabelas or Bass Pro, but large for start up gun shops I imagine, having only been in a few. Another interesting addition is they have a large rolling bay door on one side, similar to in auto body shops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawHat
Who are the owners and where is it being built? That might give us a clue as to what kind of shop is going in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by desidog
Where?

Unless the town happens to be located at a major Civil War battle site / tourist attraction, I assume they'll have a tough time getting enough business.
No idea who the owners are. Must have a bit of money because of how quickly the construction is being done. Location is about 30 miles outside of Birmingham, AL. So not much draw of Civil War re enactors.

My hope is they do offer more than just BP. Something that makes them stand out. Within 15 miles of me is about 5 private gun stores of the same size as this new store. Not to mention a few big box firearm stores like Academy and Wal-Mart in the same radius.
Old May 6, 2015, 07:53 AM   #19
StrawHat

Quote:
Originally Posted by desidog View Post
Where?

The Log Cabin, The Possible Shop, Track of the Wolf, Dixie Gun Works, none of them are located near much of anything let alone a CW site. Not sure if that really matters.

Kevin

I don't know all the answers but I have made most of the mistakes and lived to tell about them.

www.NoonSharpening.com
Old May 6, 2015, 05:21 PM   #20
g.willikers

Is a Federal Firearms License required for buying and selling muzzle loading stuff?
Powder and primers, maybe?
Old May 6, 2015, 07:51 PM   #21
Ray P

No and no. See 18 U.S.C., 921(A)(3) and 18 U.S.C., 921(A)(16). ATF has some good FAQ pages on the subject, too. Here and here.
Old May 7, 2015, 01:33 AM   #22
medic15al
Contributing Member

HerrWalther... Can you tell me where this shop is? I am 30 miles from Bham on I-20 near the Talladega track.
Thing about liberals that you need to understand is this, you can show them exactly what a toilet and toilet paper are meant to be used for, but they'll still manage to crap all over themselves and everything else without touching the bowl, and be proud of themselves afterwards. (anonymous poster elsewhere)
Old May 7, 2015, 03:06 AM   #23
herrwalther

Quote:
HerrWalther... Can you tell me where this shop is? I am 30 miles from Bham on I-20 near the Talladega track.
Argo, AL
Old May 7, 2015, 09:38 AM   #24
Crawdad1

Quote:
A typical black powder store can be pretty exciting. The Log Cabin is still my favorite store to shop in.
Mine too. That shop lives and breaths black powder. StrawHat did you ever go back and look at those original John and Caleb Vincent rifles he has?
Old May 7, 2015, 10:17 AM   #25
medic15al
Contributing Member

Thank you herr walther!!!
Thing about liberals that you need to understand is this, you can show them exactly what a toilet and toilet paper are meant to be used for, but they'll still manage to crap all over themselves and everything else without touching the bowl, and be proud of themselves afterwards. (anonymous poster elsewhere)