Quantcast
Conical 1860 bullet mold - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Blackpowder

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old May 15, 2016, 08:16 PM   #1
jgh4445

Conical 1860 bullet mold

What mold are you guys using for your conicals or do you buy them pre cast?
Old May 15, 2016, 09:40 PM   #2
Tommygunn

IIRC my .44 bullet molds are Uberti, but others make similar molds.
Old May 15, 2016, 10:08 PM   #3
DD4lifeusmc

Lee makes a cheap 45-200 but then you get what you pay for.

Accurate moulds make a variety of sizes and styles for BP
But are rather expensive and you can design your own or have theirs modified.

I started with the 45-195 but have settled on the 45-190's with a minor modification in dimensions.

I like them fairly easy to load, can get 30 / 35 gr powder under it.
Old May 15, 2016, 10:55 PM   #4
AbitNutz

Big Lube bullets give excellent results...they have several designs. I shoot them almost exclusively in my Ruger Old Army and my Uberti Remington.

You can buy the mold or buy them pre-cast from several makers he has listed on this sight.

https://www.biglube.com/

,אבל עם מוזיקאים חתונה היא כמו לוויה:Hebrew Quote
A wedding is like a funeral, but with musicians.
Old May 16, 2016, 09:04 AM   #5
swathdiver

Kaido Conicals, none better. Proven big-game killer.
“Now be ye not stiffnecked, as your fathers were, but yield yourselves unto the LORD, and enter into his sanctuary, which he hath sanctified for ever: and serve the LORD your God, that the fierceness of his wrath may turn away from you.” 2 Chronicles 30:8
Old May 16, 2016, 09:44 AM   #6
rodwha

But quite pricy at $50/100 + shipping. And the molds are often hard to get as Lee won't make his custom molds until he has enough demand, and then if they have the time.

I tried to buy his 240 grn mold but after months gave up and went to Accurate Molds.

DD4 sells his at a much more reasonable price.

Forget not that He left His throne to pay our price, and a hefty one it was indeed!

"I ask not the favor given to Paul," Copernicus said, "I seek not the grace bestowed upon Peter--but I beg the mercy granted to the thief on the cross!" - Alexander Smellie 1899
Old May 16, 2016, 01:07 PM   #7
perldog007

I have a box of buffalo 230gr conicals that are pre-lubed but look promising. So far so good in the 1860 with 35 grs of 2f pyrodex 'short term' and 30 grains and a dry wad short term.
My goal is something like Kaido's conical. Haven't had them on chrono. Damage looks right for medium sized game all day long.
Old May 16, 2016, 06:36 PM   #8
Timtoolman

I to 2nd accurate molds
Old May 16, 2016, 08:52 PM   #9
holl

What mold do you guys use from accurate? Do you have the number?
Old May 16, 2016, 10:52 PM   #10
rodwha

Depends on what your purpose is.

I designed mine with a Keith-like wide meplat knowing that the wider it is the wider the wound channel if there is no expansion. But mine are unproven as far as I know.

This is one of mine:

http://accuratemolds.com/bullet_deta...=45-195C-D.png

It does well in my ROA with 35 grns of 3F Olde E or T7 and 30 grns in my Pietta Remington NMA.

Forget not that He left His throne to pay our price, and a hefty one it was indeed!

"I ask not the favor given to Paul," Copernicus said, "I seek not the grace bestowed upon Peter--but I beg the mercy granted to the thief on the cross!" - Alexander Smellie 1899
Old May 17, 2016, 08:38 AM   #11
swathdiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodwha View Post
But quite pricy at $50/100 + shipping.
Kaido has rescinded the pledge that buyers of his mold do not sell the boolits to the public. It's possible to buy them from any number of individuals that already have the molds and they set their own price.

Last time I checked Rodwa, Kaido has had that mold in stock for over a year now. Do promote your mold just quit saying that Kaido's molds are not available unless your information is current.

Someone mentioned medium game with the old Buffalo Bullets. The Kaido conicals penetrated 15 water jugs and kept on going. The best a .30-06 can muster is nine. A Lee conical if memory serves penetrates less than 9.

You don't have to reinvent the wheel, the Kaido Conical is a proven BIG game killer already.
“Now be ye not stiffnecked, as your fathers were, but yield yourselves unto the LORD, and enter into his sanctuary, which he hath sanctified for ever: and serve the LORD your God, that the fierceness of his wrath may turn away from you.” 2 Chronicles 30:8
Old May 17, 2016, 09:41 AM   #12
rodwha

If you reread my post you'll notice I said it wasn't available at the time I was interested.

Old May 17, 2016, 10:58 AM   #13
tbob38

"Someone mentioned medium game with the old Buffalo Bullets. The Kaido conicals penetrated 15 water jugs and kept on going. The best a .30-06 can muster is nine. A Lee conical if memory serves penetrates less than 9. "

What bullet was used in the 30-06?
Old May 17, 2016, 02:12 PM   #14
swathdiver

I read your post Rodwha and all the others.

tbob38, I do not remember but a video of the test is on youtube.
Old May 17, 2016, 06:01 PM   #15
Stormson

I can say that Rodwa's design certainly looks promising... I havent had the chance to hunt with them or to do any serious or even semi serious testing, but I am ITCHING to do so!

At the TIME that I started talking to Bob about them and he was nice enough to make some up for me to try out, Kaido's where WILDLY expensive and the molds impossible to to get. Wouldnt have done me any good if I could have gotten them since I am not set up to cast.

Im glad to see that has loosened up and if I can find and afford them I'd love to FINALLY try his out as well, but from what little first hand experience I have had the chance to get, Rodwa's WFN rounds are absolutely nothing to sneeze at...
Old May 17, 2016, 06:31 PM   #16
rodwha

Then you would have realized I hadn't said they currently weren't available as you suggested. Indeed they have been unavailable many times and for long stretches. I haven't been interested anymore and so I have no need to stay in the know.

Old May 18, 2016, 10:50 AM   #17
jgh4445

Stormson, if you find some that we can afford (LOL) let me know!