Quantcast
Suggestions sought for my underhammer project - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Blackpowder Shooting

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old July 23, 2014, 03:50 PM   #1
desidog

Suggestions sought for my underhammer project

Hello,

Recently i acquired a brand new/old stock Deer Creek underhammer action in the white. The question is what to do with it next...

I'm thinking that i'd like a golfball-launching, M-79-esque set up, perhaps with a brass barrel... but i'd also like to do a 12 or 20 ga barrel...which could be swapped out... (I already have a .45 H&A btw, so i don't need to duplicate that).

I'm looking for suggestions on this...both for the finished gun's ability and aesthetic, and the name of someone to fabricate and fit a barrel (or 2) without driving the cost of the project to a level where it is prohibitive.

My barrel idea would be to have a sub chamber in .45 or .50 or .72, a 12-14" barrel, and maybe a simple ladder sight of some sort... a cheaper alternative would be to use one of those AR-15 golf ball launcher things i see in catalogs screwed onto a 2-3" section of recycled barrel...

Also, I'm confident in making the stock myself, but the major metal work is beyond my abilities.

Thoughts, comments, suggestions welcomed.

Thanks, Desidog
Old July 23, 2014, 11:15 PM   #2
25cschaefer

The cost is where you are going to run into trouble, I would draw up a nice plan and take it around to local, ma and pa, machine shops to get quotes.
Old Yesterday, 01:16 AM   #3
BCRider

I went and looked up what the actions look like.

I'm voting for a proper ball thrower in something like .50, .45 or maybe a "squirrel gun" in .36 or .32.

Something with a barrel that is round on the front 2/3's, has a nice file worked "wedding band" then transitions to an octagonal shape that runs back straight for a while then and flares out with a little swoop to the flats so the barrel flats extend part way onto the round action body in a nice eight sided scallop pattern around the receiver's front.

No wood fore end either. It would be a shame to cover up the shaping and transition onto the receiver.

Oh yeah.... I'm positively drooling at the idea.
Old Yesterday, 01:20 AM   #4
Cooldill

I think it would look cool with a flared out blunderbuss type thing going on at the muzzle!

Good luck with your project, can't wait to see it!
Old Yesterday, 09:02 AM   #5
zimmerstutzen

You can order/buy round brass stock on the big anti-gun auction bot it isn't cheap. I paid over fifty bucks for a 2 X 10 piece of brass for such a project. A gunsmith here will charge $60 to turn and bore it to my specs. (2 inch isn't big enough for a golf ball launcher in my opinion.)
Old Yesterday, 12:45 PM   #6
BCRider

Brass also comes in a very wide range of alloys. Not many of them are suitable for a pressure vessel such as any sort of gun barrel. So be careful which alloy you get in such a case. Even a golf ball gun can generate a respectable peak chamber pressure.
Old Yesterday, 12:51 PM   #7
Cooldill

Oh, and a bayonet lug to fit a 18th-19th century socket bayonet will be a must!
Old Yesterday, 12:57 PM   #8
BCRider

Quote:
Oh, and a bayonet lug to fit a 18th-19th century socket bayonet will be a must!
For a golf ball musket? ! ? ! ?

A more applicable accoutrement would be a socket mounted set of stubby clubs. A driver wood being used when full charges are utilized and a putter for plinking loads.....
Old Yesterday, 01:33 PM   #9
desidog

Thanks for the input so far!

I like the suggestions. I'm thinking that i could get a range card figured out, based on barrel angle and powder charge, and actually be able to land a ball on a green... so perhaps i'll incorporate a putter into the stock.. but then the muzzle would be pointed at my waist, which is a bit of a faux pas...

Quote:
Something with a barrel that is round on the front 2/3's, has a nice file worked "wedding band" then transitions to an octagonal shape that runs back straight for a while then and flares out with a little swoop to the flats so the barrel flats extend part way onto the round action body in a nice eight sided scallop pattern around the receiver's front.

No wood fore end either. It would be a shame to cover up the shaping and transition onto the receiver.
I can't argue with this... but i already have something in that vein... perhaps that will be the next project though!

Quote:
I think it would look cool with a flared out blunderbuss type thing going on at the muzzle!
Very good suggestion...depending on diameter of stock, it might happen..

Does anyone have one of those AR-15 golfball launcher things? I'm wondering how much they weigh, and how much meat is on the base, to work with to re-contour it a bit.

Here's a little sketch i made on the subject a while back during a boring meeting....

Also, to clarify, the separate / additional shotgun barrel would probably get more use, since i don't have a BP shotgun as yet, but this golfball barrel would come out a few times a year... it might motivate me to play golf...'cause i'd rather be at the shooting range, generally speaking.
Old Yesterday, 01:40 PM   #10
BHP FAN

mine has a huge octogon barrel on it, and a loooong Dixie Tasco brass scope in a Malcolm mount. Civil War sniper!
THR Remington Club #14
NRA Life Member
''Make yourselves sheep, and the wolves will eat you...'' - Benjamin Franklin
Old Yesterday, 01:46 PM   #11
desidog

I think if i could do a ladder grenade sight like on an AK/SKS it would be cool too.

If not, then the flared blunderbuss barrel...

Last edited by desidog; Yesterday at 01:55 PM.