Quantcast
What is the scoop on the Indian made muzzleloader pistols? - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Blackpowder Shooting

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old January 25, 2015, 04:32 PM   #1
Texas Moon

What is the scoop on the Indian made muzzleloader pistols?

Was over checking out Middlesex Traders site.
They show some nice looking pistols made in India.
Are they worth the money as a usable firearm or a headache to keep running?
Old January 25, 2015, 06:47 PM   #2
Cooldill

I think most will tell you to avoid the Indian muzzleloaders.

Buy Pedersoli if you want a good muzzleloading pistol.
Old January 25, 2015, 08:39 PM   #3
Steel Horse Rider

^^^^^^ What he said. I have bought two Pedersoli muzzle stuffer pistol kits and love every minute of experience both in building and shooting. My only comment is that the flint Kentucky Pistol kit I have does not have the proper geometry between the cock and the frizzen, but it still works.
Old January 25, 2015, 11:11 PM   #4
zimmerstutzen

Lumping Indian guns together is like lumping Belgian gun makers together. Some good some not so good.

There is a lot of hype and negativity against guns from India. I have three Indian made guns. 2 1842 Lancer pistol repros and a flint lock smooth bore pistol. The lancer pistols are percussion and work flawlessly. The flintlock works better than any Spanish or Italian flinter I ever shot.

All that being said, my lancer pistols came from Veteran Arms. The flinter, I don;t know because I bought it used.

Frankly, American guns are not independently proof tested. Some Indian guns are proof tested. As with anything, some makers peddle cheap crap,
Old January 26, 2015, 12:03 AM   #5
EljaySL

As you can see there's a range of opinions. The safe bet is to avoid them until you have the experience to inspect them with some authority and even then to have them proofed in some fashion (or I guess do it yourself if you have a long enough piece of string...)

Things like fit and finish are all over the map. The wood is typical teak instead of walnut which may bug you.

Oh - and Veteran Arms USED TO proof everything, but now it's by special request and they charge $50 for it.
Old January 26, 2015, 05:03 AM   #6
RON in PA

My experience with Middlesex Trading Indian made guns has been positive, both long guns and pistols. Yes they are a bit rough, especially the wood, but they do function when you pull the trigger.

Proud TFL alumnus

NRA Endowment Life Member
Old January 26, 2015, 07:19 AM   #7
Caliper_RWVA

Dixie currently has Pedersoli's Kentucky .45 flint pistol on sale for $335, completed. Points great although I'll need to file the front sight to bring the sights up some.