Quantcast
My new build rifle - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Blackpowder Shooting

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old August 24, 2014, 12:42 AM   #1
Kevin H. Evans

My new build rifle

Second post,

This could go in the gun smith area, but as I shoot with lose powder, I am putting it here.

I just finished a .50 cal, 44 inch barrel rifle with a removable chamber. This allows for reloading in the prone position. The chambers are cam locked into position, and ignited with a center rear top percussion cap. (standard load is 80 grains of powder and a 250 grain ball)

Here is the latest pic.

http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...2e6fc504fc.jpg

The chambers,

http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...r/IMAG0216.jpg

Every thing except the barrel (Green mountain Barrels) was made in shop. All locally made components were calculated with a safety factor of at least 20, that made for a heavy rifle, but the weight has reduced recoil and report significantly.

Range testing shows no distortion in the chambers or action, and the shot groups are comparable to a commercial product.

The current project is to get the iron sights aligned with the center of the target.

I am thinking of putting a flip up ladder sight on it, but am going to wait until my shot groups are consistent.

Afterthought, does putting a bayonet lug on a BP rifle make it an assault weapon?

Regards,
Kevin
Old August 25, 2014, 12:04 AM   #2
elhombreconnonombre

Location: South of Austin in Hays Co., a day's ride from Bexar, Enchanted Rock, and Plum Creek
Very nice Kevin. How about a detailed pic of the breech?

God Bless John Wayne, Clint Eastwood, Errol Flynn, Randolph Scott, and Val Forgett Jr.
Old August 25, 2014, 01:43 AM   #3
Kevin H. Evans

Here it is,

This is the action before I welded on the cam lock lever. The screw driver bit is holding the hammer back a bit from the cap nipple.

http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...r/IMAG0188.jpg

This is the copper seal that is folded over the barrel mount.

http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...r/IMAG0162.jpg

Here is the cam lock lever just before welding it to the cam axle.

http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...r/IMAG0201.jpg

This is fabricating the cam.

http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...r/IMAG0175.jpg

The picky part was insuring that the replaceable breach blocks always mated exactly to the seal. It finally required bottom pins across the body of the receiver, that forces alignment, assuring a good seal.

I am going to make an album on my photobucket page, It will have all the build photos in it. If desired I can put a link in here.

Regards,
Kevin
Old August 25, 2014, 02:01 AM   #4
elhombreconnonombre

Location: South of Austin in Hays Co., a day's ride from Bexar, Enchanted Rock, and Plum Creek
Most ingenious, almost like a miniature removable/reloadable breech swivel gun from centuries past, but in a shoulder fired position.

God Bless John Wayne, Clint Eastwood, Errol Flynn, Randolph Scott, and Val Forgett Jr.
Old August 25, 2014, 02:33 AM   #5
Kevin H. Evans

There is a story behind the build. My wife and I write science fiction. The story cycle is a shared universe started by Eric Flint, called the Ring of Fire cycle, It is about a small WV town kicked back in time to Germany during the thirty years war.

The rifle is from a novel by two authors in the group, (there are over 120 of us) and involves "new technology" used in a war between Russia and Poland. Georg Huff proposed the design, some of the contributors thought it could not work, (By our rules for the series, new technology has to really work.) so I made one...

The rifle also has an eighteen inch bayonet, you know, just incase some one on a horse tries to ride me down...

http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...r/IMAG0252.jpg

The build is not totally done, I may remove the internal threads the barrel came with, cut some new external threads, and re mount the barrel. The modification would cost me about two inches of barrel, but would simplify the mechanics of the receiver.

Fortunately I have an old South Bend lathe with a fifty six inch bed, a custom tailstock spindle adapter, and a bit of work will finish the mod.

http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...r/untitled.jpg

Regards,
Kevin
Old August 25, 2014, 06:26 AM   #6
elhombreconnonombre

You could easily work out a wicked plug bayonet that could be inserted into the muzzle, which would fit the period. So what working and máx pressures are your reloadable breech chambers designed for?

Old August 26, 2014, 03:32 AM   #7
Kevin H. Evans

Plug bayonets are interesting, however they can score the crown of the barrel, and they are not as effective as lug mounted blades.

I have been in a medieval re-enactor club since 1970, seven foot spear is a favorite of mine.

Pressures for the breach chambers were designed for 12,000 psi normal and 108,000 psi ultimate yield / failure, with a half inch wall thickness. Roughly this is a safety factor of 9+. (Typical S.F. in industry is four to six.)

That is using;

t=(dP) / (2S)

Where,

t is the wall thickness in inches,

d is the inside diameter in inches,

P is the pressure in psi,

and S is the allowable stress in psi.

I used .5 for d, 12,000 for P, and 55,000 for S. (I used seamless mild steel for my material in the calculations.)

(numbers are actually for 90 grains of Fffg, not the 80 I use as max load.)

Formula and stress numbers from the "Machinery's Handbook" 11th edition, 1942.

Actually it is probably a bit stronger, as the calculations did not allow for the corners on the blocks, or the upper receiver.

This may be an example of factor P for plenty...

Regards,
Kevin
Old August 26, 2014, 11:05 AM   #8
kBob

Kevin,

Is the old Firearms Round Table still in action are did you just get fed up with others on the old Baen Boards saying "that won't work" or "You can't do that" and decide to do this yourself?

Nice to see someone else that has taken Eric's Coin on the BP section here at THR.

I suggested flintlocks based on the Hall and the Norwigian Chamber rifles of the 1850's very early on, like before the second book or any of the Gazettes and was roundly poo-poo-ed.

Nice to see someone actually building something in their shop with Grantville technology. What does Eric think of this?

As the model for Bobby Hollering I also suggested making copper casings using a jug jack for low volume production for private sales.

I have not participated in the Grantville experience since about the third Gazzette, other than some paper work this past year everyone published was asked to do. Nice to see the thing still chugging along though.

Do you or your wife publish outside the 1632 Universe and if so under what names?

-kBob

Last edited by kBob; August 26, 2014 at 11:16 AM.
Old August 26, 2014, 11:15 AM   #9
kBob

Elhombre.....

The point of the Grantville and 1632 Universe is what folks from a small 1999 West Virginia town could do to the world of 1632 given their knowledge, experience and while limited advanced machinery and ideas.

Eric Flint opened his universe to fans that wanted a shot at writing if they stayed in character and he maintained overall control. Several folks that have published elsewhere on other SF&F topics got their feet wet with the 1632 Universe.

It was fun, but I got tired of dealing with folks arguing over what tech could not or would not work and the relative value of projects given limited resources.

-kBob
Old August 26, 2014, 11:19 PM   #10
Kevin H. Evans

The fire arms roundtable has been folded into the "1632 tech" forum, the magazine pays professional rates, is up to issue 55, and is slated to go monthly at the first of the year. (Bimonthly right now).

My wife and I have about 300,000 words in the Gazette, a story in a hardback anthology, (GG VI) a novella in Ring of Fire Press on Amazon, and a novella in the next hard back 1632 anthology from Baen.

We are up to about 130 authors in the group, and about seven and a half million paid for words in the story cycle.

As a result we hold a "1632 track" at a convention each year, just to set continuity. This year coming (2015) it will be at ConTemporal in Raleigh, NC Jun 19 -21. A range day is in the planning stage, we will be bringing the rife to the convention.

Last year Eric's first question was, "have you shot it yet?" (then it was no, the action was at the time unfinished.)

I have been making things, mostly as demonstration / proof of concept exercises. Mostly making items to show those who haven't turned any wrenches, what is and is not possible.

On the option front, the TV company has renewed their rights, and we may see a TV show in England yet.

As for our other work, we are flogging around a few novels, and are looking in to various offers. If you want to read one of our stories for free, Grantville Gazette VI on the Baen Ebooks site has our story as one of the free samples.

http://www.baenebooks.com/chapters/9...7687.htm?blurb

Back to the rifle, my worst problem was the stock. I did a pine prototype, for the ease of construction, and the pine stock split on the ninth shot of the range testing day.

The photos show the new stock, made of pecan, and upgraded in design.

Photo of the two;

http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...r/IMAG0224.jpg

The prototype stock was too thin to stand up to the shock of firing, the new model holds up much better. I burned up two sawsall blades cutting it out, and did the rough shaping with an angle head grinder / sanding tool.

http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...r/IMAG0220.jpg

And

http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...r/IMAG0222.jpg

I need to get an album made up of the build.

Regards,
Kevin
Old August 27, 2014, 12:04 AM   #11
elhombreconnonombre

Kbob and Kevin
This is all very interesting. A few years back I developed an outline for a film script where, due to a CME , the US is knocked back to circa 1840 technology-wise. Due to the resulting chaos, unrest, and total breakdown of modern civilization, stocks of modern cartridge ammo has been exhausted. Maufacturing close tolerance cartridge arms are a thing of the past. Texas has become a an independent republic, yet again, with the capital in Austin. The "New Rangers of the Republic" are armed with ml bp arms retrieved from various museums and collections throughout Texas. The Rangers protect the remaining pockets of "civilization" on horseback from roving bands of assorted bad guys, cannibals, zombies, mutants, foreign invaders, what have you. Austin is the centre of black powder production, with nitre provided by processing bat guano, charcoal provided by Hill country "charcoal burner"s, and sulfur gathered from abandoned East Texas oilfield sulfur recovery units.

Last edited by elhombreconnonombre; August 27, 2014 at 07:20 AM.
Old August 27, 2014, 12:41 AM   #12
Kevin H. Evans

Okay here is the rough cut of the rifle build album.

The photos are not titled or filtered for quality.

http://s570.photobucket.com/user/Tho...?sort=2&page=1

Have fun,
Kevin
Old August 27, 2014, 07:26 AM   #13
elhombreconnonombre

Kevin
Did you consider using round stock rather than square stock forvthe removable charge container?