Quantcast
Any opinions on Pietta 1873 percussion fantasy revolver - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Blackpowder Shooting

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old March 26, 2015, 05:32 PM   #1
elhombreconnonombre

Location: South of Austin in Hays Co., a day's ride from Bexar, Enchanted Rock, and Plum Creek
Any opinions on Pietta 1873 percussion fantasy revolver

I understand this is not approved for CAS, but could be an interesting basis for a percussion "Buntline" with an 18" barrel and custom wire stock.

God Bless John Wayne, Clint Eastwood, Errol Flynn, Randolph Scott, and Val Forgett Jr.
Old March 27, 2015, 09:25 AM   #2
perldog007

I think they look very cool and if interested in that barrel length or if they came with a 7.5" bbl I would want one myself, no question.
Old March 28, 2015, 01:38 PM   #3
BCRider

The way I understand it these percussion 1873's are the answer for folks in the UK where cartridge handguns are prohibited. It's a work around.

I also seem to recall reading that something is done so that these guns cannot have a cylinder swap with a regular cartridge gun and still work. Something about offset cap nipples or the like.
Old March 28, 2015, 01:58 PM   #4
BSA1

Location: West of the Big Muddy, East of the Rockies and North of the Red River
Or you could put a shoulder stock on a 1860 Army and have a true old west replica firearm.

Or if you what to go custom a 1858 Remington with 8" barrel would look cool and fit in well with one of Clint Eastwood's early westerns. This would be a choice Lee Van Cleef would make.
Old March 28, 2015, 03:14 PM   #5
ofitg

I wish somebody would make a fantasy percussion top-break Webley revolver......
Old March 28, 2015, 05:05 PM   #6
expat_alaska

Quote:
Or you could put a shoulder stock on a 1860 Army and have a true old west replica firearm.
^^^^+1

Or you could put a shoulder stock on an 1851 Navy .36 like I plan to do when a rich uncle dies...

Fuhgedaboutit ... all of my uncles are dead. Oh, well...
Old March 28, 2015, 06:03 PM   #7
kBob

sounds like a SAA with ladder sights in the top strap and a skeletonized stock and long barrel like a certain dime novel author gave out to some western well knowns.....but without federal nosiness.

Sounds like fun.
Old March 28, 2015, 06:26 PM   #8
WestKentucky

My thoughts exactly. I'm soon to SBR my 15" buntline...if I can find funds for NFA expenses AND build/buy a shoulder stock, plus modify my gun to accept it...this percussion gun might very well be the cheap way for me to get basically the same gun plus it's a percussion gun...something I have never gotten into.
Spellchecker and autocorrect is ran by anti-gun people who think that a "hi-point" should be "hip ointment" and a "parabellum" is a "parable lump" and so forth. Please excuse idiotic things that the electronics think I said that I never said. http://www.damnyouautocorrect.com/
Old March 28, 2015, 11:41 PM   #9
Fingers McGee

Quote:
Any opinions on Pietta 1873 percussion fantasy revolver
Yes; but none favorable
Old March 28, 2015, 11:50 PM   #10
Crawdad1

In my humble and useless opinion, if we are comparing top strapped revolvers of that era I think the '58 Remington is better looking then all of them including the Rogers & Spencer, the Schofield and the '73 SAA.

But, in my opinion, there is no revolver that even comes close to the looks of a Colt open top.

Last edited by Crawdad1; March 29, 2015 at 05:33 AM.
Old March 29, 2015, 07:09 AM   #11
Skinny 1950

The main idea behind the 1873 was that it shot centerfire cartridges,the percussion version was made for the unfortunate folks in the U.K. that can not have such a thing.
So here is what they needed, a 1873 percussion:

Old March 29, 2015, 05:05 PM   #12
ExMachina

What kind of opinion do you want?

"Converting" a cartridge gun to percussion reminds me of this:

Old March 29, 2015, 05:41 PM   #13
expat_alaska

Now That's Funny!

...but maybe one day it may be reality in California...
Old March 29, 2015, 08:11 PM   #14
elhombreconnonombre

Location: South of Austin in Hays Co., a day's ride from Bexar, Enchanted Rock, and Plum Creek
EM
Haw, haw...maybe I could work up a 2 hp rig like that to take to the next Lone Star Round Up hot rod meet here in Austin. The rules state that that is must be a pre-1964 vehicle.

God Bless John Wayne, Clint Eastwood, Errol Flynn, Randolph Scott, and Val Forgett Jr.