Quantcast
1854 Treeby chain gun - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Blackpowder

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old May 14, 2016, 06:36 AM   #1
elhombreconnonombre

Location: San Leanna, Tx. along Slaughter Creek. a day's ride from Bexar, Enchanted Rock, and Plum Creek
1854 Treeby chain gun

Interesting video
http://www.forgottenweapons.com/rifl...eby-chain-gun/
aka Sgt. Smokey Bexar, Co. A-McNelly's Washington County Rangers, Grand Army of the Frontier, Member #839

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm7367842/
Old May 14, 2016, 08:24 AM   #2
4v50 Gary

Left handed bolt action glory! Thanks.
Old May 14, 2016, 10:49 AM   #3
Tommygunn

Fascinating weapon.
When I read the thread title I was wondering how the term "Chain Gun" got used in the black-powder forum. The reason is that the term "Chain Gun" is used (in fact it is a trade mark owned by McDonnel-Douglas Hughes.) to describe the electric powered cannon mounted on the nose of the AH64 Apache Attack Helicopter. A variant is mounted to the Bradley Fighting Vehicle.
These are very different than this old black powder weapon. In these modern weapons a electric drive mechanism powers a chain that encircles the receiver, there's a cam on it that alternatly opens and closes the bolt and cycles the ammunition through. The gunner has a control that varies the rate of fire, giving the weapon a broader range of abilities than a simple gas powered weapon. The modern Chain Guns are very accurate for machine guns.
Off topic I know; I didn't mean to hijack but I just thought how interesting the this term had actually been used before! "What's old is new again!"
Old May 14, 2016, 12:46 PM   #4
Eric N.

WOW! That is cool. Thanks for posting.
Old May 14, 2016, 01:42 PM   #5
Cooldill

That is incredible for an 1854 gun.
Old May 14, 2016, 08:08 PM   #6
expat_alaska

I think that pre-Civil War firearm innovations were just amazing before the advent of the metallic cartridge era just afterward. Colt, Remington, Manhattan, (as well as Gatling) and other players made a huge difference compared to the percussion single-shot pistols that preceded them. Yes, I know that the Spencer and the Henry rifles were there, but not in great quantity, and therefore, not a large player.

The Treeby gun is a new one on me. A shooter would definitely need a second rifle with a loader behind him. Since only 2 were made, that was probably never put into practice, and not very practical. Innovative, yes. In a tactical situation, very clumsy concerning the machinations required to operate it.

Three .44 Dragoons, 1860 .44 Colts, or even 1851 Navy .36 pistols would have served better.

Quite an innovation though, I must say.

Jim
Old May 15, 2016, 11:40 AM   #7
bannockburn

Pretty high tech for it's day! Interesting innovative design and advanced manufacturing techniques at work with this gun. Thanks for sharing.
Old May 15, 2016, 07:39 PM   #8
kBob

Re: Modern Chain Gun

I seem to recall in the 1970s the "Bushmaster" was called an electically operated gun and can not recall the term Chain gun up until the decision to put it on the Bradley and the Apache. I guess that little section of bicycle chain was to much for some ad guy to pass up. The Bushmaster appeared in ads in the old US ARMY GREEN BOOK for years before it's adoption. Neat Snakey logo BTW.

I've got to say I like the look of the Jonathan Browning "Harmonica" rifle a lot better. He actually made some 21 round "magazines" for his rifles, though he liked three shot himself and sold mainly five and seven shot "harmonica".

He did also make revolving rifles, but did not like to do so as they cost more to make in time and tool use.

-kBob
Old May 15, 2016, 09:52 PM   #9
Cooldill

I'd love to see a replica Harmonica Rifle from JMB. Such cool guns. Hard to believe the same man who made the 1911 made the HM.
Old May 15, 2016, 10:46 PM   #10
Sam1911

Quote:
I'd love to see a replica Harmonica Rifle from JMB. Such cool guns. Hard to believe the same man who made the 1911 made the HM.
Jonathan Browning. John Moses Browning's dad.

"...with liberty and justice for all." (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states.)
-D. Stanhope

Sights Practical Shooters -- IDPA

My Knife Showroom
For Sale