Quantcast
The THR Walker Club - Page 100 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Blackpowder Shooting

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old March 29, 2010, 11:08 PM   #2476
scrat

dont remember who but someone already had one like that. I would have bought a spare barrel just to make sure i had another one. not in to cutting mine i like the 16 1/2 inch beast the way it is.
Old March 30, 2010, 05:53 PM   #2477
kwhi43@kc.rr.com

Would this one be a good buy?
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=162289957
Old March 30, 2010, 08:14 PM   #2478
scrat

Good price. first time i have ever heard of ASM beingcalled High Quality. ASM is the lowest quality. As for the picture almost looks like a members from here
Old March 30, 2010, 08:24 PM   #2479
scrat

Quote:
Most of you are going to hate this probably. I cut my Walker down to 5 1/2 inches. I like how it came out. I haven't had the front sight reinstalled yet.
Go to page 28 post 680 STRAWHATS WALKER
Old March 30, 2010, 08:41 PM   #2480
kwhi43@kc.rr.com

What's the difference between the 1847 and the Whitneyville Dragoon ?
Old March 30, 2010, 09:06 PM   #2481
scrat

Alot a dragoon is a shorter gun the WALKER is the biggest gun ever made. The Dragoon used a smaller loading lever with a latch on the front. The cylinder was a tad smaller and the barrel length was smaller as well. With an improved loading lever, shorter cylinder and lighter weight, the 1848 Dragoon had significant improvements over the Colt Walker and was the first Colt pistol to be purchased by the U.S. Military. Four models of the dragoon were produced; the first 240 by Eli Whitney utilized some Walker parts and are known as Whitneyville Dragoons or Transition Walkers, followed by the 1st, 2nd and 3rd Models.
Old March 31, 2010, 11:07 AM   #2482
Foto Joe

Price is okay

I wouldn't get carried away in a bidding war on this Walker. It was $280 when I viewed it and if she hits $300 I'd let someone else take her home.

Scrat,

I'm not official yet on this thread as my Walker won't be here until tomorrow or so, but hopefully my Dragoon entitles me to one question. You state that ASM is not known for high quality. Give me some specifics please.

My Dragoon is of course an ASM (1979) and the fit and finish is exellent. I've found that inside the frame and trigger guard are even better than my Pietta, unfortunately I don't have a Uberti to compare to though. The reason I'm asking is that you kinda rained on my parade. My first Walker purchased on GB is an ASM (1992). From the pics it looked great and the dealer had an excellent rating, let's hope I'm not relisting it on GB right after I take it out of the box.

Joe
Old March 31, 2010, 01:15 PM   #2483
scrat

dont relist it until you shoot it. i have 2 ASM as well. they went out of business a long time ago. As for the quality most of the ASM were at the bottom of quality. Only 1 good place sells parts for them and that is Deer Creek Products. They are available by phone only. I have bought parts from them and if you ever do ask them to send a catalog. As for ASM its a hit or mis. Some times you will get one that locks up good timing is on and just seems and feels good. Other times you are getting someone elses problems and you will either have to spend some money to get it worked on or sell it. You will never know until you get it though and then take it out to the range. even if it locks up good and all you do not know how straight the barrel is in regards to the hole. seen them off center or angled to where the back is center and the front is to the right or left. meaning your accuracy will always suffer. so if you bought it already check it out first. make sure timing is on and it feels good. check the barrel front and back then take it to the range do some bench shooting to check accuracy. from there and until then you will not know how good your gun is.
Old March 31, 2010, 03:18 PM   #2484
mykeal

Quote:
You state that ASM is not known for high quality. Give me some specifics please.
Scrat, if you don't mind I'll take a shot at this one.

I own two Walkers, a Uberti and an ASM. The Uberti has obviously better fit and finish, but there's one set of numbers that's quite telling. The ASM chambers are much smaller than the bore grooves, leading to significant blow-by and the ball not fully engaging the rifling. The Uberti chambers are 4 thousandths smaller than the bore grooves, not good, but much better than the ASM. The ASM chambers are 14 thousandths smaller than the bore grooves, so you can see that it has little chance of shooting as well as the Uberti. The Uberti could be improved, but the ASM MUST be improved if it's to live up to it's namesake.
Old March 31, 2010, 05:30 PM   #2485
StrawHat

Quote:
mykeal .

The ASM chambers are much smaller than the bore grooves, leading to significant blow-by and the ball not fully engaging the rifling. The Uberti chambers are 4 thousandths smaller than the bore grooves, not good, but much better than the ASM. The ASM chambers are 14 thousandths smaller than the bore grooves, so you can see that it has little chance of shooting as well as the Uberti. The Uberti could be improved, but the ASM MUST be improved if it's to live up to it's namesake.
If the chambers are smaller than the land diameter, lap out the chambers for a good fit.
Old March 31, 2010, 09:05 PM   #2486
kwhi43@kc.rr.com

I should have my Uberti Walker here Sat. So do you guys use .454 balls
or .457?
Old March 31, 2010, 11:20 PM   #2487
mykeal

Old March 31, 2010, 11:59 PM   #2488
ClemBert

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwhi43@kc.rr.com
I should have my Uberti Walker here Sat. So do you guys use .454 balls or .457?
I haven't slugged out my cylinder chambers but the caliper is showing a measurement of .449 inside the chambers. Seems like worst case they'd be .450 if I slugged them out so a .454 is probably the answer but it could be that yours is a bit looser. The Uberti manual generically lists their .44 caliber revolvers as using either a .454 or .457.
Old April 1, 2010, 08:18 AM   #2489
Texas Moon

I've been using .454 in mine. Seems to work fine.
Old April 1, 2010, 09:22 AM   #2490
RugerBob

I use .454. Get a decent shave when seating. That was factory round balls. Cast some at .454 and get a little more off the shave. Just my 2 cents...Bob
Old April 1, 2010, 01:53 PM   #2491
scrat

Old April 1, 2010, 10:46 PM   #2492
Two Gun Pete

.454 in my Uberti
Old April 2, 2010, 03:39 PM   #2493
Pulp

I reckon I was just lucky with my ASM. It's a '60 Army, not a Walker. I bought it from Cabelas in the early '90's. Fit and finish were as good as anything I've ever owned. I've probably put at least 1000 rounds through it, so far no problems.

I also had an ASM SAA in .44-40 for several years that I was happy with. I sold it to finance other gun purchases.

World's Worst Cowboy Action Shooter
Graduate of Sawyer's School of Shooting
Old April 3, 2010, 12:10 AM   #2494
kwhi43@kc.rr.com

Anybody use the R & D 45 Colt converson cyclinder? If so how did it
work in the Uberti?
Old April 3, 2010, 12:34 PM   #2495
buckeyed

I have the same set up put about 300 rounds down range with it and not any problems went right in and had it checked by a smith and all was good as Scrat also has the samething and he is happy with it also
Old April 3, 2010, 05:03 PM   #2496
Foto Joe

Permission To Come Aboard?

Back in the last week of December when I bought my 2nd Model Dragoon, I told my wife that I would abstain from purchasing any more guns for a couple of months.

Being a person who enjoys achieving his goals, I'm happy to say that I held out three whole months!! To celebrate my success, I added to my family this last week with an ASM Walker!! Picked it up on GB and I'm impressed. It's been fired but well taken care of.

As finding a place to shoot in Texas can be a little difficult (indoor range owners have no sense of humor it seems), I haven't exercised her yet, but I'm looking forward to it as soon as I find an appropriate location.

Chambers mic out at .449 and as near as my fat fingers can determine she's .451 land to land. She locks up nice with no problems noticed and the trigger is SMOOOOOTH!! Luckily Balistol does a nice job of protecting it from the slobber that runs down my chin.

So with that....I respectfully request entrance to the inner sanctum of Walker junkies, huh can I, please, please, I promise I'll be good!!

Smokeless shooters sometimes just can't admit it's not all just about muzzle velocity, but style!!
Old April 3, 2010, 07:40 PM   #2497
Pulp

I suspect Scrat will let you in. Sure some pretty wood on the grips.

As far as indoor ranges go, I know you can shoot at H&H in OKC and GunWorld in Dell City. 'Course neither one of those are in Texas.

I've heard of folks setting indoor ranges on fire with BP guns. Seems there's a lot of unburnt smokeless powder lands on the floor a few feet from the firing line. It will not remain unburnt if some BP sparks land in it.

Old April 3, 2010, 07:44 PM   #2498
Pulp

Smile

"Anybody use the R & D 45 Colt converson cyclinder? If so how did it
work in the Uberti?"

I've been very happy with mine, and if you'll read back through the topic you'll find others equally happy. Once I found my aiming point I could regularly hit a 16inch square plate at 100 yards with mine.

Old April 4, 2010, 09:38 AM   #2499
madcratebuilder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwhi43@kc.rr.com View Post
What's the difference between the 1847 and the Whitneyville Dragoon ?
The Whitneyville Dragoon was built on a shortened Walker frame. The cylinder is 1/4 inch shorter, the barrel is 7.5 inch vs 9 inch, and a latch was added for the loading lever. These changes reduced the weight by about 8 oz and reduced the length by 1 3/4 inches.

The Dragoon frame is squared off at the bottom rear instead of the radius cut, to ease manufacturing. During the Dragoon production there was no distinction between the variations. The term 1st, 2nd and 3rd model is an invention of modern day collectors.

That's a nice looking Walker Foto Joe, very nice looking. I'm very pleased with the ASM Colts I own.
A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to “The United States of America” for an amount of “up to and including my life.”
Old April 4, 2010, 12:52 PM   #2500
Foto Joe

Since I'm still a Walker virgin (heavy petting only for now), I did notice something unusual regarding the cylinder. There is only one teat on the cylinder for "Safety". On my other BP revolvers each has a teat that will lock into the hammer notch between each chamber. Is this a Walker trait or is it an ASM Walker trait?

Whether loaded or not, I'm in the habit of always leaving the hammer resting on one of these, not on a cap nipple.

Also, MCB, since you answered a question regarding a Whitneyville, were they what we today consider a 1st model or did they differ. If they were different from a 1st, did anybody ever make a repro?