Quantcast
The THR Walker Club - Page 126 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Blackpowder Shooting

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old November 5, 2011, 03:08 PM   #3126
scrat

it looks really good. for the grips take a chain or something and mar them up a bit. if you dont have a chain there is another way. take a tool box fill it with tools put the grips in the center then shake up the tool box. After that turn on your stove and hold them over the stove to give them a burn mark. final finish would be to use some shoe polish not the liquid. go over it with some shoe polish and buff them out. i will dig out a pic of ones i did
Old November 5, 2011, 03:11 PM   #3127
Legionnaire

Thanks, Scrat. I know I need to do some more on the grips; they do need to be marred up a bit. I like the shoe polish idea; a picture would be great.
Old November 5, 2011, 03:13 PM   #3128
scrat

here is some that i did just that too

before on grips and gun

by far this is one of the best finished guns i have done. i spent about 2 weeks perfecting the finish on the gun. combo rust brown and dark bluing. people said it couldnt be done.

gun changes colors when you turn it and in different light
Old November 5, 2011, 06:40 PM   #3129
kBob

As to giving a remie a used look on its grips.

I ordered a '58 on behalf of my club for a guy that put in as much volunteer time as range officer as the rest of us together one year. Naturally it came while I was at work. On seeing the 90 pound Black Lab patrolling between the gate and house, the Fed Ex guy decided to not leave the package at the door but just inside the gate. On arriving home I found a ahipping box in shreads , a packing box in shreads, some chewed chunks of strofoam and no revolver. I quickly determined what had happened when I found a section of packing box with part of a picture of a '58 on it. The thrid favorite dog spot I checked had the gun laying half covered in dirt and leaves. FOrtunately I was out of caps and so could not use the gun to shoot the dog. Later my neighbor came over and told me that he knew I was a survivalist gun nut, but that arming big dogs with handguns was going a bit far. He had seen the happy tail wagging pooch troting about the place holding the gun by its wooden grips and figured there was no way he was going to ask the dog if it was loaded. The neighbor at least had a good laugh about the whole thing. The guy it was for now responds to "What happened to your grips" with "you would not believe me if I told you."

kBob
Old November 5, 2011, 07:02 PM   #3130
construction11

Hello everyone.....just wanted to pop in for a minute.....after i get done being busy, i will post some pics of some groupings from my walker
Old November 5, 2011, 08:07 PM   #3131
Indy4570

I now have a questionable ASM/Navy Arms Walker marked "WHITNEYVILLE WALKER 1847 Cal. 44". It has timing issues but looks OK. I need some info on how to fix the timing if it is possible. I gave the guy $150 for it with a rudimentary holster. No pics until I get home Sundy night. No sales today at the fun show, hope to sell at least one gun tomorrow...
Old November 5, 2011, 08:11 PM   #3132
Indy4570

looks like a 1977, AC in a box on the right side of the frame.
Old November 7, 2011, 09:17 AM   #3133
Indy4570

life is sometimes a hard lesson in economics. Having not sold a single gun by 12:30 Sunday at the gun show, I sold the Walker for $225. A profit of $75 yes, but also a loss. One does what he must to make ends meet. My search goes on and I have another ASM located, maybe the third time is the charm....
Old November 7, 2011, 05:26 PM   #3134
Indy4570

where O where have the Walker club members gone?

There is a NIB Uberti Walker on GB ending in about 5 hours with an extra cylinder. It is at $336.00 right now, wish I had a few more pennies on hand...

I feel I know so many of you members here after spending about four days reading 125 pages of this thread. I miss you guys! LOL, Come back Walker members!
Old November 8, 2011, 12:25 AM   #3135
Pulp

Indy, I check in every day or so, but don't post much anymore since I don't get to shoot mine very often. Have you seen my Walker videos on youtube? Type in blackpowderpulp in the youtube search bar.

World's Worst Cowboy Action Shooter
Graduate of Sawyer's School of Shooting
Old November 8, 2011, 12:37 AM   #3136
Indy4570

well the Walker with the extra cylinder NIB on GB went for $360.00 plus shipping. Some damn fool is paying $385 for a NIB Uberti with an extra cylinder. It looks to be an older version, no date code is visible. Oh yeah, that damn fool is me.... Maybe this time I will get it done.

thanks for the tip Pulp, you are the last person I expected to see in here. I hope things are going smoothly. It is never easy to lay your parent to rest. It does get easier after a time but you never stop missing them. So many things I wish I could share with my father, I simply talk to him anyway, as if he were standing in front of me and hope he hears me.
Old November 8, 2011, 12:51 AM   #3137
Indy4570

Cool vids Pulp! made me nervous when you shot the Walker at the camera!
Old November 9, 2011, 12:00 AM   #3138
Indy4570

I have to say that I am bummed. I have wanted a Walker for many years and for some reason it just got pushed to the back burner and even forgotten for years at a time. I was bitten by the bug again when the guy brought the Colt signature series to the show. I did all kinds of research and found my way here. I read the entire thread and found camaraderie vicariously amongst the Walker owners here. I bought and sold the ASM and even threw fiscal responsibility into the wind and jumped in with both feet and bought the Old NIB Uberti on GB and I don't have a soul here to share it with. Days go by and nobody comes in with a new story about their beloved Walkers. Did I arrive too late? Is the thread basically DOA? I hope you guys are still out there and will come back to give this thread life again.

I sent out my money order today and the Walker should be inbound in a week or so. I will take the required pics and submit them for membership into the Walker Club. I hope I have some fellow members to share in my excitement at owning what will be technically my second Walker. The first was only mine for 24 hours or so.

I can say with authority that this is the ONLY place to go for Walker info. I have done hours and hours of internet searches and this is mecca for Walker enthusiasts. Scrat, GOTC, Fuff, MyKeal, Pulp, and so many others have made this thread and this group of shooters with a common bond into something more. I am in the Missouri Ozarks and look forward to some shoots close enough for me to meet a few of you guys one day. The beer is on me.

Indy
Old November 9, 2011, 08:13 AM   #3139
StrawHat

Oh sure, now that I no longer travel for work he says "...the beer is on me..."
Old November 9, 2011, 08:55 AM   #3140
Steven Youngblood

Still here, just don't get to post as much, but get an update everytime someone posts.
Old November 9, 2011, 11:27 AM   #3141
Indy4570

I travel to the fun shows, where ya at??
Walker club member #152
Old November 9, 2011, 11:29 AM   #3142
Indy4570

I only buy the cheap stuff in the 30 packs, you know the ones that are blaze orange these days... ;P
Walker club member #152
Old November 9, 2011, 12:16 PM   #3143
DammitBoy

Be patient Indy, all good things come to those who wait...
Old November 9, 2011, 12:39 PM   #3144
Indy4570

Quote:
Originally Posted by DammitBoy View Post
Be patient Indy, all good things come to those who wait...
I must wait for my Walker to arrive... I hope to have "big buck down" before it gets here. Saturday is our gun opener for deer. I fully intend to kill a deer with my Walker if it proves to be accurate enough.
Walker club member #152
Old November 9, 2011, 02:01 PM   #3145
scrat

Same as you guys. My problem this past year as been really busy at work. So just havent had much time to head to the shooting range. I read here all the times for updates and to see whats going on. But just havent had much time to go shooting lately.
Old November 9, 2011, 04:18 PM   #3146
knirirr

Early next month there will be a competition at the local range in which only black powder revolvers and lever-action rifles are to be used. One of the rounds will require firing a revolver with the off-hand whilst holding a bladed weapon in the right. So, as I was ordering some items from a US company anyway (including replacement nipples) I thought I might as well get the following accessory for use in the competition.

Walker and Bowie by knirirr, on Flickr
Old November 9, 2011, 05:08 PM   #3147
Indy4570

love the Bowie! You KNOW I love the Walker. Do you know what the brass was added for? Trivia question for the day.
Walker club member #152
Old November 9, 2011, 05:20 PM   #3148
knirirr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy4570 View Post
Do you know what the brass was added for? Trivia question for the day.
As far as I'm aware it was for use in parrying with the back to avoid chipping the steel. I've not done much Bowie fencing training but I think it would work.

The Walker is missing its nipples in the picture as my tool broke whilst putting the new ones on - luckily there's a UK-based supplier who does quick deliveries and has them in stock.
Old November 9, 2011, 05:32 PM   #3149
Indy4570

well it was for parrying but the softer brass was added not to prevent chipping but to catch the blade of the adversary. The soft brass would groove easy and make it possible to hold the blade while pushing away to make your own strike. At least that was what I read in a story one time about the knife maker who made the first version For Jim Bowie.
Walker club member #152
Old November 10, 2011, 02:37 AM   #3150
DammitBoy

Knirirr, who did you order your bowie from?