Quantcast
The THR Walker Club - Page 133 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Blackpowder Shooting

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old January 25, 2012, 10:39 PM   #3301
scrat

email already sent....... received........replied.

Thanks
Harris
Old January 29, 2012, 07:06 PM   #3302
Rogeld

New to the forum so Hi everyone.
Ordered a Uberti Walker from Cabela's. They back ordered the gun. 3 weeks now. Is there a short supply of them?
Old January 29, 2012, 07:27 PM   #3303
Hoof Hearted

Welcome!

Cabela's sold out over Christmas and I'm sure the Italians are working as fast as they can! Cabela's is one of the largest dealers of Italian firarms in the world.
Old January 30, 2012, 11:20 AM   #3304
Whitesongs

Hi All,
Some of you may find this quite interesting.
About 8 or 9 years ago Armi San Marco and Uberti produced a range of their balckpowder revolvers as 'air' guns. A British company called Brocock had developed a rechargeable air cartridge. You would charge these with a pump not too dissimilar to a bicycle pump. I bought an ASM Walker and Uberti Remington Outlaw. Both identical to the blackpowder versions although the cylinders were bored to accept a 22 cartridge.
However, about 4 or 5 years back, because of increased crime involving firearms, the UK government decided to ban these 'airguns' as they believed they could be easily converted back into a 'firearm'. So they were banned and now require a full firearms licence to own.
I've just found an 'air' Walker for sale in the UK -although this gun has been completely deactivated. Below is the link.

All the best,

Whitesongs

http://www.dandbmilitaria.com/walker...161-7425-p.asp
Old January 30, 2012, 12:20 PM   #3305
junkman_01

I read the advertisement, but can not find anywhere that is says this was an 'air' gun.
Old January 30, 2012, 01:03 PM   #3306
scrat

pretty cool. just cant imagine spending that much on something i cant shoot at the range
Old January 30, 2012, 01:04 PM   #3307
Clermont

I seem to recall that the only Colt single action Brocock cartridge airgun produced was the one that copied Colt's 1873 Single Action Army revolver.
Old January 31, 2012, 05:04 AM   #3308
Whitesongs

Junkman. No it doesn't mention it was an airgun. I think the company are trying to sell it as a 'real' Walker that's been deactivated. If you check the back of the cylinder on the photos you'll see there are no percussion nipples - not even the milled out partitions for them. The frame has also been milled out on the right side of the recoil shield so you can load the cartridges from behind the cylinder.

When I bought mine they also had a Colt 1872 Army conversion which was pretty cool as it looked the part. But I just had to get the Walker!!!

Cheers,

Whitesongs
Old January 31, 2012, 05:11 AM   #3309
Whitesongs

Just too add to this thread: As you all know, a Walker is heavy enough as a 44 cal. These 22 airguns had so much more steel left on the barrel it was incredibly heavy and difficult to hold aim with so much weight up front.
The 'air' Remington Outlaw was a much easier gun to shoot.
Old February 6, 2012, 06:23 AM   #3310
Whitesongs

Walker 1078

Hi All,
Was browsing the net and found an interesting Walker auctioned some years ago.
It is civilian model serial number 1078. It is advertised as the 'Thumb print' Walker. 'Possibly Sam Colt's own thumb print'. There are some pretty good photos of this gun and after enlarging a couple I noticed a major repair to the barrel, although the barrel still retains a high percentage of blue - even around the repair. In my view, this gun has been refinished.
I've no idea how much it sold for but I just wonder if the buyer is aware of this repair?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Walker lug.jpg (56.0 KB, 94 views)
Old February 14, 2012, 07:46 AM   #3311
FreddyKruger

ok... how much play should there be with the barrel? ive put maybe 10-15 full loads thru my walker, the rest being 30gr, and ive notices theres play in the barrel with the wedge sitting as far out with the clip still in (if that makes sense?). i cant remember if i had it like that when ive shot it before or with the wedge in tight-ish.

its got a cylinder gap of ~.010, but if i push the wedge in it as far as it will go, the gap goes down to ~.004.
Old February 14, 2012, 08:00 AM   #3312
junkman_01

Your arbor is not the correct length. It's too short. The job of the wedge is to secure the barrel to the frame. It should not be used to adjust the barrel to cylinder gap. Until you correct the too short arbor, everything you mentioned is irrelevant.
Old February 14, 2012, 07:45 PM   #3313
sltm1

Quick lesson on adjusting the arbor length:
1. Take the barrel and cylinder off the receiver
2. Put the barrel back on the arbor 90% off center
3. Twist the barrel down till the bottom of the loading lever port is in contact with the receiver frame
4. Measure how much overlap there is....that's how thick your shim has to be
5. Make shim (steel preferably but brass if you must)
6. File to slightly thicker than appropriate thickness to match overlap measurement
7. Attach to arbor, (silver or lead solder or JB Weld)
8. Put barrel back on arbor again at 90% rotate down and check for what will now be a gap between it and frame
9. Remove barrel and file down shim till when turned down, the barrel just contact's the frame. Do this slowly in increments so's you don't do too much and have to start over
Old February 14, 2012, 07:50 PM   #3314
ClemBert

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyKruger
ok... how much play should there be with the barrel? ive put maybe 10-15 full loads thru my walker, the rest being 30gr, and ive notices theres play in the barrel with the wedge sitting as far out with the clip still in (if that makes sense?). i cant remember if i had it like that when ive shot it before or with the wedge in tight-ish.

its got a cylinder gap of ~.010, but if i push the wedge in it as far as it will go, the gap goes down to ~.004.
If someone hasn't posted it yet then someone tell him what the ideal gap is for his Walker.

As I recall, the end gap measurement should be 0.006 to 0.010. That is, measure the end gap with the hammer at half cock and the cylinder pulled all the way to the rear. The end gap is the gap between the face of the cylinder and the breech of the barrel.

Last edited by ClemBert; February 14, 2012 at 07:57 PM.
Old February 14, 2012, 09:14 PM   #3315
Rogeld

The Walker finally got here. I was really surprised how good it looks.
Now I can actually say, That's not a gun, This is a gun. LOL.
Now I need to make the holster for it.
Great reading on this forum.
Old February 14, 2012, 09:51 PM   #3316
sltm1

Hey Clembert, Invented any cool stuff we gotta have for our BP guns lately?
Old February 14, 2012, 10:51 PM   #3317
FreddyKruger

Something might be out of round? The barrel won't go 90 degrees or even just enough to be able to measure anything.
Old February 15, 2012, 02:46 PM   #3318
ClemBert

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyKruger
Something might be out of round? The barrel won't go 90 degrees or even just enough to be able to measure anything.
Naw, I think that is probably common on Uberti Walkers. My Uberti Walker is the same way but my other BP revolvers you can check the arbor length using this method. Just get some steel washers and drop them in the arbor hole until you no longer can get the barrel on all the way then file the washers thinner to make it just right.
Old February 19, 2012, 12:39 PM   #3319
scrat

I need to get one of those brass wrap around barrel loading lever holders. Last trip to the range the loading lever dropped. I made the dumb mistake of just pushing it up with out checking if the catch was aligned. Well now i have a two piece catch. i think this will be the 4th one i have replaced
Old February 19, 2012, 03:09 PM   #3320
scrat

OG #81 up for auction

Hopefully she finds a good home.
#1588 on auction

D Company #81
She looks great. a true survivor.

Quote:
this revolver was once part of the Texas A&M Collection and is mentioned in an article on Walkers by Larry Wilson which appeared in the September 1979 issue of Man at Arms. He also states that it was acquired in 1977 from Jackson Arms by his cousin, Bill Brooks, who gifted the gun to Mr. Howard. PROVENANCE: Texas A&M Collection; Jackson Arms; Bill Brooks; Robert Howard Estate Collection

http://jamesdjulia.com/auctions/div_....asp?pageREQ=1

http://jamesdjulia.com/auctions/cata...e=320&lot=1588
Old February 19, 2012, 03:26 PM   #3321
scrat

C Company # 204 Surfaces

Another beauty up for auction
This has got to be the Holly Grail of Walkers with a history to back it up.
C Company had 214 Walkers this is number 204
http://jamesdjulia.com/auctions/div_....asp?pageREQ=2
auction number 2244

http://jamesdjulia.com/auctions/cata...e=320&lot=2244

Quote:
"To the best of my knowledge Colt Whitneyville 'Walker' revolver, serial number 'C COMPANY 204' was a family heirloom of my wife, whose maiden name was Margaritia Victoria Carter". It appears that this fine Walker was then sold to renowned author, historian & collector, Norm Flayderman. It appeared as Item 1051 in his Catalog #79 (date unknown), two copies of which accompany this lot. This revolver was the subject of a 6-page article by historian, author & collector, Tom LoPiano, Jr.entitled “Journey Back to Georgia-a Story of a General and his Walker Colt” which appeared in the March 1983 issue of The Gun Report(copy of article available on request)and also was pictured on the cover of the referenced magazine, two copies of which accompany this lot. It appears that from Mr. Flayderman this revolver was purchased by renowned dealer & collector, Herb Glass, Sr., from whom it was purchased by Mr. LoPiano in about 1980. The research of the family history of Gen. Edwards is very extensive involving two large binders and additional separate packets of papers. This Walker also is pictured on p. 55 of The Colt Whitneyville-Walker Pistol, Whittington(which contains much of Mr. LoPiano’s documented material), whose caption states that it is a 97% probability that this revolver was one of the 214 pistols signed for by Col. John C. Hays on "19 October 1847".
Old February 19, 2012, 07:58 PM   #3322
FreddyKruger

Quote:
I need to get one of those brass wrap around barrel loading lever holders. Last trip to the range the loading lever dropped. I made the dumb mistake of just pushing it up with out checking if the catch was aligned. Well now i have a two piece catch. i think this will be the 4th one i have replaced
i made up a leather thing for mine. cost me nothing but about 5 minutes with a craft knife.
Old February 20, 2012, 12:44 PM   #3323
Tallship

Naw, Scrat, this is the holy grail of Walkers:

http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/new...s-920k-auction
Old February 21, 2012, 12:30 AM   #3324
scrat

Tallship I remember the sale.

A Company #210
lot 2252. RARE AND HISTORIC COLT WHITNEYVILLE-WALKER PISTOL “A COMPANY # 210” AND ORIGINAL FLASK ISSUED AT VERA CRUZ IN 1847 TO PRIVATE SAM WILSON (TEXAS RANGER), LATER OBTAINED BY BREVET MAJOR GENERAL JOHN REESE KENLY OF MARYLAND AND BELIEVED TO BE THE FINEST EXAMPLE OF A MARTIAL WALKER EXTANT.
(est.$500,000 - $1,000,000)
SOLD: $920,000
Old February 21, 2012, 12:42 AM   #3325
scrat

Rock Island Auction

Walker Sold B Company #8 $345,000 Date of sale not shown

Walker C Company # 150 Sold for $276,000

Walker C Company #101 Sold for $74,750

http://www.paulfrasercollectibles.co...ions/9067.page

http://rockislandauction.com/consignments_sold

Walker E Company #35 Sold for ???????
http://www.icollector.com/Colt-Model...-grip_i8787054

Last edited by scrat; February 21, 2012 at 01:07 AM.