Quantcast
The THR Walker Club - Page 18 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Blackpowder Shooting

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old April 9, 2008, 11:07 AM   #426
scrat

wait until you put 56 grains of black then a ball on top. talk about BOOOOOOOM then all heads turn. Welcome aboard apachejack
Old April 9, 2008, 11:08 AM   #427
scrat

THR WALKER Club

Member list

1 Scrat (Scott)
2 Gentleman of the Charcoal
3 Dixie Texian
4 Yankee John
5 Mykeal
6 Speckdds@bellsouth.net
7 Mukluk
8 BigBadGun
9 Mec
10Fineredmist
11HILDO
12Shanghai McCoy
13Tallship
14 A.WALKER
15 StrawHat
16 Mustanger1
17 Phantom Captain
18 Pulp
19 Snaggletooth
20 RugerBob
21 J.T.Gerrity
22 BDFT
23 Peter M Eick
24 JCT
25 Old Wornout Soldier
26 Brett Dixon
27. Razorback 1010
28. Rebel Dave
29. sundance44s
30. Oddman
31. Xterminator
32. TexasRifleman
33. Gopguy
34. Elbert P Suggins
35. Brett Dixon
36. Old Hunter
37. Blacksmoke
38. ApacheJack
Old April 10, 2008, 04:44 PM   #428
hildo

Best score ever!

Well, fellow club members, I recently shot this card with my Walker on 25 meters, single handed.
I'ts well above my personal average. For sure the Walker is more accurate than my Dragoon, and better than my original Rogers & Spencer as well. The Walker has the most twist though, which may have something to do with it.
What the Walker is really capable of, I don't know since I refuse to shoot benchrest.
The gun seemes to get more accurate over time, maybe I get better as well. Anyway it is, if anone was still doubting, a great revolver.

Soon I hope to add a .36 1851 Uberti Navy and I'm very curious if a 1851 is able to outshoot the Walker in accuracy.

Hildo
Old April 11, 2008, 12:23 AM   #429
Pulp

Apache Jack, what's your opinion of SweetShooter? Obviously pretty good or you wouldn't be using it, but do you really believe all the claims?

So far it's worked fine for me.

World's Worst Cowboy Action Shooter
Graduate of Sawyer's School of Shooting
Old April 11, 2008, 11:42 AM   #430
scrat

Apache Jack nice job. almost all black. thats some fine shooting for one handed. Agree with the walker. Seems to be my most accurate hand gun.
Old April 11, 2008, 03:32 PM   #431
TheWall

Nation's Gun Show

A couple of months ago I got my first cap and ball revolver -- a nice Pietta 1851 Colt Navy.

I am itching now to get a Walker. The Nation's Gun Show is coming to the Dulles Expo Center this weekend -- which is 2 miles from my house.

Would this show be a good place to get a good deal on a Walker??
Old April 11, 2008, 05:34 PM   #432
mykeal

Guns shows are a good place to get a 'deal' on a gun ONLY if one knows what you're doing. If you know how to examine a black powder revolver and what the market prices are then you stand a chance, but only a chance. You can still get had.

If you don't know black powder revolvers, buy your first Walker new. If you do, then by all means go to the show, and enjoy.
Old April 11, 2008, 07:41 PM   #433
scrat

Some how i smell another member coming
Old April 11, 2008, 11:24 PM   #434
TheWall

I certainly not experienced enough to totally ensure I am not getting had.

I would probably be better off buying my Walker new from a reputable company.

Now the issue is convincing the wife that I simply had to shell out $350 to $375 for "another one of those stupid guns"!!
Old April 11, 2008, 11:29 PM   #435
mykeal

Quote:
Now the issue is convincing the wife that I simply had to shell out $350 to $375 for "another one of those stupid guns"!!
That, unfortunately, takes much more skill and experience with black powder revolvers than identifying bad guns. I have no useful advice, having never solved the problem myself. I've resorted to sneaking in late at night. But, I own two Walkers.
Old April 12, 2008, 10:48 AM   #436
apachejack

Scrat, that was Hildo's target you were looking at, but I wish it were mine . And about the sweetshooter, yes I think it works as well as it says. I have put this on other threads but I left a couple of vaqueros in my pickup toolbox for about three days while it rained a couple of those days. When I got them out there was not a bit of rust anywhere on the guns. They are both color case hardened and if you have any guns with color hardening then you know how quickly they can rust. I have been amazed with the stuff and am soaking every pistol I have in it. It is expensive but worth not worrying about rust anymore. The man who sold me the stuff is evidently the man who makes it cause he told me what it would do and when I called the number on the flyer he was the one who answered. I only live 50 miles from where it is made and one of these days I'm going over there to see how it's done. Meanwhile I'm gonna keep shootin the guns I've coated in it and not worry about them.
Old April 12, 2008, 12:30 PM   #437
TheWall

Quote:
That, unfortunately, takes much more skill and experience with black powder revolvers than identifying bad guns. I have no useful advice, having never solved the problem myself. I've resorted to sneaking in late at night. But, I own two Walkers.
Mmm, I do own my own business... I could tell her it was a "gift" from one of my clients (which is not entirely untrue since it was the "revenue" from my clients that will pay for the Walker).

Yeah... that's the ticket...
Old April 12, 2008, 12:32 PM   #438
scrat

yep i smell a new member happy saturday everyone
Old April 13, 2008, 08:58 AM   #439
razorback1010

today's match. Nearly as good as last week, but with a 58 grains load of Swiss n3. I won't bother with lighter loads and semolina anymore with the Walker. The balls are making holes neat enough to be compared with wadcutters and the accuracy didn't drop, the four "8" are entirely my responsability.
Old April 13, 2008, 09:51 AM   #440
mec

Now, that right there is a good target.
Old April 13, 2008, 01:46 PM   #441
scrat

Heck ya. Its amazing what you can do to a brand new target with a set of red stickers. hahahahaha

just kidding
Old April 13, 2008, 02:27 PM   #442
Shawnee

Geez Razorback !!!

What distance was that target shot at ?

Old April 13, 2008, 04:40 PM   #443
TheWall

Quote:
yep i smell a new member happy saturday everyone
I am thinking seriously of buying a new Walker now. I have been checking around and Buffalo Arms has the best price.

Does anyone have any experience with Buffalo Arms? Do they have good customer service in case the revolver arrives and has any problems?

Thanks guys.
Old April 13, 2008, 04:53 PM   #444
hildo

Razorback, in my opinion you are a damn good shooter. Chapeau! Better than I am for sure. This was 25 meters right?

You think there is no difference in Walker accuracy when shooting heavy versus light loads?

What loads have you tried?
Do you use a filler with lighter loads?
What is semolina?

Hildo
Old April 13, 2008, 07:21 PM   #445
StrawHat

Quote:
What is semolina?
Filler.

Exactly what type, I believe it is a coarse wheat flour used to make pasta.

A more experienced cook will fill in the proper description.
Old April 13, 2008, 10:03 PM   #446
scrat

The Wall maybe this will help.

WALKER
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2N6FoKB4a0

1860 Army

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdqabuM5v4w

1858 New Army Remington
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tB3ix...eature=related

Any questions

one more time

WALKER
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRP4S...eature=related

ICON
Old April 14, 2008, 01:08 AM   #447
razorback1010

A damn good shooter, I dunno. Firstly, I started as a kid, secondly it's part of my job, si I've had guns in my hands for over thirty years. considering this, am I really a good shot? What's for sure, I'm still learning.
Yes, the distance was 25 meters (27 yards, sorry if us European use an easy-on-the-brain way of counting).
Semolina is exactly that, coarse wheat flour, the most widely used filler in BP shooting in Europe.
And about the Walker, in my opinion it's the only BP revolver which prefers really heavy loads as far as accuracy is concerned. A question of barrel twist, most certainly and it's so heavy that the recoil isn't worth mentioning.
I started with 30 grains loads, Swiss n1, and then I thought : "what the heck, that thing is a damn portable cannon, so why not use the proper propellant ?", and I decided to try the Swiss n3 I use with my .50 Tennessee long rifle and .50 Hawken rifle. This was the good choice. I then used a 45 grains load, then a 50 and yesterday 58. Although I'll reduce the load to 55 grains from now on. 58 is the maximum I can put in the cylinder and seat a bullet over, but only when it's clean. The second cylinder was a bitch to load because of the fouling.
Up to 50 grains, I used semolina as filler, with 58 (and 55 I'm sure) there isn't any space left. I'll maybe try a greased felt wad with a slightly lighter load, to clean the barrel between each shot, and see if there's a difference.
Old April 14, 2008, 02:05 AM   #448
JCT

The Wall; check Taylor's, Thunder ridge and Track of the Wolf. I've bought guns from all 3 and all were great to deal with. I think the average price on a Walker is probably $50 more than it was a year ago. I paid $370 for mine a couple months back, but it's a nice one from Taylor's.
Old April 14, 2008, 08:09 AM   #449
bigbadgun

If you are in the market for a Uberti Walker Check out S&S Firearmes they have it listed in there catalog for $312. Hey everyone Im back.
"When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns".
Old April 14, 2008, 08:59 AM   #450
mykeal

Yep, that's the catalog price.

However, prices change. I bought mine from S&S (excellent supplier, by the way - highly recommended) a few months ago and the price had gone up from the catalog. Don't remember exactly how much (about $20 or so). They were careful to explain that the price had changed since the catalog was printed, so there was no surprise when I got the invoice, and I had ample opportunity to change my mind. Was still the best price I found at the time.