Quantcast
The THR Walker Club - Page 19 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Blackpowder Shooting

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old April 14, 2008, 09:33 AM   #451
Shawnee

Hi Lads...

How about a link to the "S&S Firearms" you're speaking of, Gentlemen -
I found four different ones on the Inet. One had some re-enacter stuff but didn't list any firearms. Also had a 200 page catalog available ONLY for download and not visible on the Inet. ()

Thanks Lads !
Old April 14, 2008, 11:22 AM   #452
bigbadgun

Shawnee thats the one you want the reenactor stuff and download the catalog good prices and you only need to download it once.
"When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns".
Old April 14, 2008, 11:45 AM   #453
mykeal

S&S Firearms home page link
The Walker is on page 63.
Call them at (718) 497-1100.
Old April 14, 2008, 12:29 PM   #454
classicballistx

Walker Stuff

All -

We have an abiding respect for the man and the gun. If you haven't read the little thumbnail of history we have on Sam Walker, we think you might enjoy it. It's at http://www.classicballistx.com/HistoryWalker_Colt.html.

For any of you who are historically inclined and have corrections or additions for our page, please email us at classicballistx@gmail.com.

Regards,

Wisent
Old April 14, 2008, 02:12 PM   #455
TheWall

New Walker Colt

Quote:
S&S Firearms home page link
The Walker is on page 63.
Call them at (718) 497-1100.
Thanks for the tip. I called them and they are expecting a new shipment any day. They also have the best price I've seen anywhere. I am very close to taking the plunge and joining the Club!!!!
Old April 14, 2008, 07:20 PM   #456
scrat

Quote:
Walker Stuff

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All -

We have an abiding respect for the man and the gun. If you haven't read the little thumbnail of history we have on Sam Walker, we think you might enjoy it. It's at http://www.classicballistx.com/HistoryWalker_Colt.html.

For any of you who are historically inclined and have corrections or additions for our page, please email us at classicballistx@gmail.com.

Regards,

Wisent

Good stuff
Old April 17, 2008, 05:47 PM   #457
scrat

The Wall

Have you had any luck finding a good WALKER yet
Old April 18, 2008, 02:29 PM   #458
TheWall

Quote:
The Wall

Have you had any luck finding a good WALKER yet

I have narrowed it down to S&S Firearms -- they have an Uberti Walker for $312.

My dilemma is how to justify the purchase to my wife. After all, I just got a Colt Navy in February (brand new, steel frame Pietta from DGW for $185 on sale).

Struggling with that right now...
Old April 18, 2008, 02:32 PM   #459
mec

Quote:
My dilemma is how to justify the purchase to my wife. After all, I just got a Colt Navy in February
Easy. It's been a long time. It's almost May
Old April 18, 2008, 03:32 PM   #460
TheWall

I like the way you think!

Mec:

Yeah, that's the ticket!!

I think I am going to take the plunge....
Old April 18, 2008, 03:45 PM   #461
TheWall

Will be joining the club soon!

Okay, I called S&S Firearms and placed the order for an Uberti Walker. The woman there, who was very nice, said that they are waiting on a new shipment that should come in shortly. She said the price should still be $312 but could change. I will know for sure by the middle of next week.

I also ordered some .454 Hornady balls and oxyoke wonder wads.

Hopefully within 2 weeks I'll have it. I will keep you posted. In the meantime, I will go out to the range next week and shot my Colt Navy to whet my appetite!!
Old April 18, 2008, 06:25 PM   #462
scrat

your going to love it. Just take your wife out to dinner. or do what i do. i tell my wife im thinking about saving up for another gun. She says how much i tell her. She says oh ok. then i buy it. Then when it comes she says i thought you were just thinking about it. I say i was and i came upon a great deal i could not pass. I told you i was going to get it. She then says I guess i forgot to say how soon. Then the next day she comes home from the mall with a couple bags. i Say exitdedly Let me see what you got. She says you dont want to see. I say yes i do. So she pulls out her new stuff. At the end i say thats it. You should go back and get some more. She then smiles from left to right and says ok i will go tomorrow. I then think to myself GUN WHAT GUN
Old April 21, 2008, 02:44 PM   #463
fedaircop

Count me in I've had mine since Christmas and I do love it. It's an Uberti purchased from Taylors. Taylors is also a great source of parts and they have a gunsmith there who spend all day talking to you if you'd like. I shoot 55 grains of black powder and a .454 ball with a wonder wad. I have tried 60 grains but can't get the ball to seat with that much powder. I am amazed at the accuracy of this weapon, of course with a 9" barrel I guess it ought to be accurate. when I go to the range I or I should say the Walker always draws a crowd. The BOOM and the smoke are real attention getters.When we goto the range the guys in my office beg me to bring the walker to let them shoot it has to one of the best toys I've ever had. Also have to say that this forum is an incredible source of information I have had a couple of problems and I always have gotten good advice from the folks on this board. The only problem i have now is deciding on my next BP revolver a Patterson or a Le Matt?
Old April 21, 2008, 05:08 PM   #464
mykeal

Quote:
The only problem i have now is deciding on my next BP revolver a Patterson or a Le Matt?
Hustle on over to Amazon.com and purchase a book titled Percussion Pistols And Revolvers: History, Performance and Practical Use by Mike Cumpston and Johnny Bates. Read the chapters on the Paterson and LeMat before you make your gun purchase. It'll save you some headaches.
Old April 21, 2008, 08:28 PM   #465
fedaircop

mykeal, I have that book I understand some of the problems with both of those revolvers but one of the attractions of BP for me is the history: which explains the Patterson and the Le Matt has always appealed to me because it was such a unique weapon. The main drawback for me to the Le Matt is the disassembly/assembly seems much more complex than any Colt or Remington, requires some hard to come by tools like the spanner screwdriver, and of course the price is another drawback. Both of those weapons kind of intrigue me though. Another BP revolver I would like to have is the 1851 Navy Colt I have heard nothing but good things about it. By the way another good book which I got from Amazon is "Antique Firearms assembly/disassembly" By a guy named David R. Chicoine it goes into great detail on many BP weapons. It's really a step by step guide to the disassembly and reassembly of many BP Rifles and Revolvers.
Old April 22, 2008, 10:36 AM   #466
razorback1010

I'd like to order a mold for making paper cartridges for the Walker. Lee proposes a model for a C&B conical bullet, but in .450 for "most .44 Italian replicas" and in .456 for the ROA.
As my Walker loads .457 round balls, I was thinking of the latter model, but I'm not sure.
Has somebody done it yet ?
Old April 22, 2008, 04:28 PM   #467
TheWall

Should be a club member within 2 weeks!

I just spoke to S&S Firearms and they will be getting a shipment of Uberti Walkers in next week. As soon as they get it they will ship my Walker out to me!

He also said that S&S would only charge me the listed catalog price which is $312.

So hopefully within 2 weeks I'll be a Club member!
Old April 22, 2008, 04:48 PM   #468
fedaircop

TheWall, Congratulations you're gonna' love it. It's without a doubt the most fun of any gun I have ever had the pleasure of shooting, there's just nothing like the boom and smoke of 55 grains of black powder. you will definately attract a crowd so be prepared to answer lots of questions. The first time i took mine to a commercial range i was itching to shoot it but people kept coming up and asking questions it took me thirty minutes to load it and after the first six rounds another dozen or so folks wandered over to look. That happens almost every time i take it to the range.
Old April 22, 2008, 04:49 PM   #469
fedaircop

and by the way $312.00 is a great deal mine was Christmas present but I'm sure she paid about 350 for it.
Old April 22, 2008, 04:50 PM   #470
TheWall

Load for Walker

What load would you guys recommend for my first time shooting the Walker?

I will be using Goex FFFG.

Thanks -- I will be shooting my Colt Navy this week at the range to "whet my appetite" for the Walker!
Old April 22, 2008, 04:54 PM   #471
fedaircop

well I am a long way from being an expert but i started with 55 grains a 454 ball and wonder wad patch and am still using that load i'd use 60 if i could get the ball to seat. I think you'll be surprised at the lack of felt recoil and the accuracy. By the way mine is a Uberti also and so far I have not had the problem of the loading lever falling. knock on wood
Old April 22, 2008, 05:07 PM   #472
DixieTexian

I can get 60 grains in my Uberti. I got it the day this thread was started, so it's pretty new. My loading lever didn't drop until I had shot 3 or 4 cylinders full out of it, but your mileage may vary.
Old April 22, 2008, 06:15 PM   #473
hildo

Lee Conicals

@ Razorback1010

Buy the 450-200 mold from Lee.
The bullets drop at 458", much larger than the advertised 450", so there is no problem. The lower part of the bullet is smaller in diameter to aid in loading. You can shoot them with some 45-50 grains or so, the bullet is a bit longer than a roundball and leaves less space for powder. The gun has a little more recoil but not much.

In my Walker (Uberti) I could not load the conicals since they hit the barrel.
I filed the opening in the barrel a bit larger and then it works like a charm. The barrel is soft and very easy to file down. You may have to do the same before you can load conicals.
See photo's before and after filing the barrel.

Before filing

After filing

The Walker will shoot even higher with the conicals then it does with roundballs due to the added weight of the projectile.
Overall I find the roundballs a bit more accurate than conicals.

Hildo
Old April 22, 2008, 08:12 PM   #474
scrat

55 grains is the most i can put in mine using goex. No way you can get 60 grains in it without shaving half the ball to cycle it. 50 grains shoots good though. i tell you what though. People for sure pay attention to you when your shooting 55 grains of goex. I mean the distinct BOOOOM that gun makes is unbelievable. There was a guy shooting a 500 S&W about a month ago at the range. Everyone was paying attention to him when he was shooting. Then i pulled out mr. WALKER. then it was a toss up between him and i. For sure everyone wanted to know why mine smoked so much. After about an hour the guy came over to me to see what the heck i was shooting. He was really impressed on a gun from 1847 that was as loud as a 500 s&w. Length wise they were about the same length too. It was soo cool. He tried to shoot next to me. However when i fired that big cloud of smoke made him stop and wait a second. Kinda funny. What a site seeing too massive guns shooting like that.
Old April 22, 2008, 10:54 PM   #475
fedaircop

DixieTexian do you use patches? I'm thing maybe thats the difference between 55 and 60 grains. I have shot about 250 rounds through it so far. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Scrat is absolutely right about getting folks' attention though LOL it is awesome.