Quantcast
The THR Walker Club - Page 33 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Blackpowder Shooting

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old January 10, 2009, 07:12 PM   #801
scrat

Steve nice pics. The 45 long colt making cookies. Good idea. You need to tell us more about that
Old January 10, 2009, 09:18 PM   #802
Steven Youngblood

Making cookies (lube wads) see page 12 of the online book at http://www.jspublications.net/tips/BPLoading.pdf
I put them under the conical bullets for extra lubrication.
I use them instead of fiber wads, mostly because the fiber wads cost too much, compared to the cost of the beeswax.
After I lube a pan of bullets, I just re-melt the wax and after it cools, before it is rock solid, I make a bunch of cookies and put them in my shooting kit.
Just in case you are wondering how far a pound of beeswax will go.
I have lubed close to 200 rounds and made 200+ lube wads and still have a pint jar of lube and a half-pound of bees wax.
The box has what was left of the last 100 bullets I cast.
The other 100 need to be dug out of the tree trunk that holds my targets.
42 left. I have to fire up the coleman stove and pour some more, when the weather clears.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 45-70 conversion 014.jpg (168.1 KB, 43 views)

Last edited by Steven Youngblood; January 10, 2009 at 09:22 PM. Reason: left out something
Old January 10, 2009, 10:13 PM   #803
Steven Youngblood

When I was young, I had a navy colt revolver in 36 cal, and I understand why people like Wild Bill Hickok liked them.
I about wore the thing out. I sold it when I stayed in TX, which was a long year, for a Tennessee boy. No offence meant, just to flat for my taste, I like these Tennessee hills. I eye balled this colt walker at the hardware store for over a year. It was new in the box and still at the 2005 price of $340.00
Now you have to keep in mind that I own 29 long guns, 3 shot guns and a bunch of handguns, So I summoned up all my courage and went and presented my case to my beloved wife, that I really wanted this revolver, and started to recite the history behind the colt revolver and where the walker came into the picture, and how it was very different from the 45 long colt revolver I bought last year. (It is a Hawes firearms co. Chief Marshal 45) made by J.P. Sauer & Sohn. She just gave me that look and nodded her approval, and of course I had to have everything that goes with it.
She picked out the fabric that I lined the box with.
Then I had to build a rifle to go with it.
I saw the ad in the shotgun news for the 45-70 barrel for the SMLE NO#1 mkIII and said I have two of those. One in original condition and one that was sporterised, before I bought it, nearly 20 years ago, so that was that.
I still want a Sharp though, but that is BIG money.
I don't know why I am so addicted to firearms. It takes me all day just to clean and oil, what I have. Sometimes late at night I have thoughts of maybe selling one or two of them, but that would be like selling one of my kids, truth be known, I would most likely sell one of my kids before I would sell one of my rifles.
I have the smle's No#1, No#2, No#4,and the No#5 jungle carbine, All the same caliber but each different and special, How could a mortal man choose?
Thinking like this makes my head hurt.
I will think happy thoughts and figure out how long it will take to save up for a Sharp at $25.00 per week. Good night, and GOD Bless. As RED Skeleton used to say.
Old January 10, 2009, 10:52 PM   #804
scrat

Steven good post thanks for the info. wow im going to try that out
Old January 11, 2009, 01:53 PM   #805
Steven Youngblood

cookie cutter improvement

I had an idea this morning.
The reason I cast 200 bullets and made 200+ lube cookies, was, the match stick would break some of them, and I could not do more than a couple at a time.
The idea was to make a better plunger.
I took an old rotory tool grinding wheel that had been used and "poof" it is a cookie cutter plunger.
it works great.
I can do a bunch now.
I chose to do stacks of 6
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cookie cutter 001.jpg (215.5 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg cookie cutter 002.jpg (203.5 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg cookie cutter 003.jpg (207.5 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg cookie cutter 004.jpg (251.0 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg cookie cutter 005.jpg (220.5 KB, 44 views)
Old January 12, 2009, 08:02 AM   #806
madcratebuilder

Good thinking Steve. I made my cutter almost the same. I machined the plunger from Delrin and threaded the stem for a stop nut. I kept dropping the plunger from the case, damn thing is slippery.
A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to “The United States of America” for an amount of “up to and including my life.”
Old January 16, 2009, 09:38 AM   #807
Steven Youngblood

good idea.
Old January 18, 2009, 11:02 PM   #808
scrat

Steve you should open up another thread on its own put in the same information and put why you do it and the results. I am sure Gary would love to see it may even put it in Black Powder Essentials.
Old January 19, 2009, 08:21 PM   #809
messerist

Request permission to draw!

Big Walker fan here. I've been shooting mine for five years. As soon as I figure this computer stuff out I will post a photo. Request permission to join!
Old January 19, 2009, 08:57 PM   #810
scrat

Permission granted of course. welcome aboard
Old January 19, 2009, 08:58 PM   #811
scrat

Member list

1 Scrat (Scott)
2 Gentleman of the Charcoal
3 Dixie Texian
4 Yankee John
5 Mykeal
6 Speckdds@bellsouth.net
7 Mukluk
8 BigBadGun
9 Mec
10Fineredmist
11HILDO
12Shanghai McCoy
13Tallship
14 A.WALKER
15 StrawHat
16 Mustanger1
17 Phantom Captain
18 Pulp
19 Snaggletooth
20 RugerBob
21 J.T.Gerrity
22 BDFT
23 Peter M Eick
24 JCT
25 Old Wornout Soldier
26 Brett Dixon
27. Razorback 1010
28. Rebel Dave
29. sundance44s
30. Oddman
31. Xterminator
32. TexasRifleman
33. Gopguy
34. Elbert P Suggins
35. Old Hunter
36. Blacksmoke
37. ApacheJack
38. K.A.T
39. Fedaircop
40. Hooey
41. .50cal
42. Afy
43. Shung
44. Kevc
45. PRM
46. Madcratebuilder
47. Clermont
48. Double Deuce 1
49. Iamsniper1
50. AdmiralB
51. icy
52. SMOKIN GUN
53. QUICKDRAW Mc.Graw
54. SE olka.shooter
55. Jack Steele
56. Steven Youngblood
57. The Wall welcome aboard
58. Shawn Grear welcome aboard
59. Messerist
Old January 20, 2009, 12:21 AM   #812
Steven Youngblood

Ok Scrat.
I made a new thread "making cookies for my walker"
I hope I didn't mess it up to bad.
I could not figure out how to assiocate some of the pictures on this thread to that one and the system would not let me re load them even under different names.
Old January 20, 2009, 12:36 AM   #813
scrat

No sir excellent post let me see if i can help on the pics
Old January 20, 2009, 07:16 AM   #814
Smokin_Gun

These Lube Pill Tubes/Cutters were fabricated by Oldelm for me about 4 years ago I can make and cut out 600 from a batch pretty quickly in .36 or .44 cal. They push out in rolls and can be packed in boxes or loose in a container.
Thanks again Oldelm,

SG
SASS# 19634, FROCS #24, Admin BPR http://voy.com/60048/ ,
Admin SG's Old Coots Den&Privy http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php
Old January 20, 2009, 07:52 AM   #815
madcratebuilder

I like that long tube approach, much faster than my 45lc case
A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to “The United States of America” for an amount of “up to and including my life.”
Old January 21, 2009, 11:59 AM   #816
scrat

Dannnnngggg SG where the heck did you get those tubes in the right size.
Old January 21, 2009, 11:28 PM   #817
Steven Youngblood

That's very cool.
Old January 22, 2009, 03:05 AM   #818
Smokin_Gun

Scrat, standard size tubing at your local hardware store. I don't have the exact dimesions in my head, but find the two tubes that fit into each caliber. When you cut the short pies with a tube cutter leave one end as uyou cut it, that's the blade. Find both calibers that would be 4 tubes or pieces. Solder the short (blade) in just far enough to hold it good. Oldelm did a hell of a job on my Brass Tubes/Lube Pill Cutters.

SG
Old January 27, 2009, 12:22 AM   #819
Tuckerp229

So you Walker addicts....I found found a preowned but unfired- in- box Uberti Walker, for 270.00. I already own three .44 caliber BP revolvers, (Uberti 1860, Ruger OA and Pereti 1858 Sherif's model), but I must admit the walker is "calling" me.

Is the Walker really "all that and more?" or would a guy shoot it a few times and put it in the safe due to its weight and powder consumption.
Old January 27, 2009, 12:50 AM   #820
Smokin_Gun

For me the Walker was always one I wanted to get and never did cause there was a better deal on one I'd carry more, fancier, or had a glamour look to it. I owned two Paterson and 30 some other Revs, including an ROA, before I got a Walker that I had deep down always wanted. I have had a Colt Dragoon 1st Model about 4 years love it...and happy with and will not part with my Walker, a Must for every Shooter/Collector.
Good price about what I paid last fall. You'll enjoy it.

SG
Old January 27, 2009, 07:34 AM   #821
mykeal

Quote:
Is the Walker really "all that and more?" or would a guy shoot it a few times and put it in the safe due to its weight and powder consumption.
How can anyone answer that question for you? It's a very personal matter, and no two people are going to feel exactly the same way. Is the Ford F150 really the best truck that's ever been made or is it something you'll just drive when you need to move a big load?

The Walker is different. It's big, heavy, speaks with real authority. It uses up powder like that Ford truck uses gas. It causes the range to come to a halt as people watch it bellow. It ruins cheap holsters and belts in less than a day, but rides like a knight in arms on your hip with a good, heavy horsehide rig. It demands a commitment from you like no other handgun (except maybe an S&W Model 29). Perhaps a better question is, are you up to the Walker's standard? Only you know the answer to that.
Old January 27, 2009, 10:25 AM   #822
madcratebuilder

Quote:
The Walker is different. It's big, heavy, speaks with real authority. It uses up powder like that Ford truck uses gas. It causes the range to come to a halt as people watch it bellow. It ruins cheap holsters and belts in less than a day, but rides like a knight in arms on your hip with a good, heavy horsehide rig. It demands a commitment from you like no other handgun (except maybe an S&W Model 29). Perhaps a better question is, are you up to the Walker's standard? Only you know the answer to that.
Great description! Are you up to the Walker's standard? That's very good!

Quote:
It's not THAT heavy. I would not want to carry on a long hike, but to the range it no problem. Powder consumption, powder is cheap. Most Walker owners have more than one BP revolver, many have dozens. I wish I had the problem of using to much powder, I'm lucky to burn three lbs a year.
Buy it, shoot it, smile.
Old January 28, 2009, 07:46 AM   #823
Steven Youngblood

I have a single action in .22 cal, one on .45 cal and the walker.
Each one has its place.
It is a matter of what you like best.
One goes pop, one goes bang, but the walker goes KA-BOOM!
it just makes me feel good all over, when I shoot it

Last edited by Steven Youngblood; January 29, 2009 at 09:14 AM.
Old January 28, 2009, 12:19 PM   #824
mykeal

Bank?

Must be a USFA Colt replica.
Old January 28, 2009, 09:23 PM   #825
TheWall

My Walker

I got my Uberti Walker new in the box from S&S Firearms for $312.

As I posted earlier, I ordered it last March and it took more than 9 months to arrive. But it was well worth the wait and, for the price, I shouldn't complain!

Searching on-line, I have not found a better price for a brand new Uberti Walker. Not sure if he gave it to me at that price because that was the price when I ordered it in March so others might not get that deal. But it's worth looking into if you really want a new one.

Still have not had the time to take the Walker out to the range. Dang work!!