Quantcast
The THR Walker Club - Page 39 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Blackpowder Shooting

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old March 24, 2009, 01:01 AM   #951
TMC4232

Sltm1,

Nice job on your Walker. I know what you mean by the bright metal look. I removed the bluing off of one of my Uberti Walker cylinders and frankly did not like the resulting bright metal "new" look either. So I wiped it down with some G96 liquid cold blue followed by Birchwood Casey Tru-Brown and then applied a diluted Vinegar solution to even out the look. After that I lightly buffed off the blue / brown with some OOOO steel wool which gave it a dullish grey look. I will try to post a picture tomorrow of it. I am very pleased with how it came out. I also burnished the case colors with a little Birchwood Casey Tru-Brown, then with dabs of G96 cold blue, followed with diluted Vinegar to arrive at a nice overall aged look. Careful with the Vinegar though because it will eat bluing like no tomorrow so use with caution. I left the barrel alone at this point as I have not decided on what I want to do to it just yet.

"It's a dry heat" - Are you kidding? It's like living on the surface of the sun!!!
Old March 24, 2009, 07:49 PM   #952
DoubleDeuce 1

Cool CW 1 Garrand

WWII Version
Old March 24, 2009, 09:21 PM   #953
Quickdraw McGraw

My Uberti Walker I bought back in November seems to be a Armi San Marco. Which is more valuable? I should probably go back to the gun shop and see what they will do. I'm the dumbass who bought it just because it was in great shape. I didn't even think of looking for markings.

What would you do?
Old March 24, 2009, 09:37 PM   #954
DutchmanDick

[QUOTE="Quickdraw McGraw"]My Uberti Walker I bought back in November seems to be a Armi San Marco. Which is more valuable? I should probably go back to the gun shop and see what they will do. I'm the dumbass who bought it just because it was in great shape. I didn't even think of looking for markings.

What would you do? [QUOTE/]

If you're happy with the way it shoots, keep it and never mind who actually made it!
Old March 24, 2009, 10:07 PM   #955
madcratebuilder

Dick was a great attitude! Unless the shop represented the gun as a Uberti I would not say anything. If they did call it a Uberti and charged a premium Uberti price I would ask for an adjustment, maybe a big discount on the next gun you buy.
Otherwise, shoot it, shoot it somor'
A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to “The United States of America” for an amount of “up to and including my life.”
Old March 25, 2009, 02:03 AM   #956
TMC4232

DoubleDeuce1,

What year is your bayo?

"It's a dry heat" - Are you kidding? It's like living on the surface of the sun!!!

Last edited by TMC4232; March 25, 2009 at 10:29 PM.
Old March 25, 2009, 06:52 AM   #957
Quickdraw McGraw

Quote:
Dick was a great attitude! Unless the shop represented the gun as a Uberti I would not say anything. If they did call it a Uberti and charged a premium Uberti price I would ask for an adjustment, maybe a big discount on the next gun you buy.
Otherwise, shoot it, shoot it somor'
That is my concern, I still have the tag that has Uberit 44 Walker and the serial #, and price ($250) on it. I'm keeping the gun but I paid for an Uberti and got a Armi San Marco. I will go back but would like to know what I'm talking about before I do.

Since I am not real knowledgable of brands and prices I am asking if any of you folks can help me out. madcratebuilder has it correct I don't want to return it I would simply like a store credit for the amount they overcharged me (if they did).

Any help would be appreciated folks
Old March 25, 2009, 07:37 AM   #958
mykeal

One way to resolve the issue is to refer to a price guide to get an idea of the difference in worth of the two brands. The Blue Book of Modern Black Powder Arms is one such guide and may be the only one that will list both guns. I have the 5th Edition (2007) to hand, and it has the following information:

1847 Walker
Armi San Marco $250 in 100% condition
Uberti $350 in 100% condition

Now, you paid $250 and feel the gun is in 'great shape'. That suggests that you actually paid for an ASM on the basis of the Blue Book's valuations.

I seem to recall, however, some difficulty with the main spring in an earlier thread. Assuming, then, that the gun's condition is somewhat less than 100%, let's look at some other values:

ASM $225 for 98%, $175 for 90%, $125 for 80%
Uberti $315 for 98%, $250 for 90%, $200 for 80%

So, if you really paid for a Uberti, it was a 90% gun, and a 90% ASM is worth only $175; thus they owe you $75.

BUT, and it's a really big BUT: if it were up to me I would give you maybe half that back. First, the Blue Book is only a guide; actual prices can and do vary considerably in either direction. Second, you bought it 4 months ago; it's a bit unreasonable to come back 4 months later saying you think you paid too much. Third, the tag was mismarked, but the gun wasn't, and you had the opportunity to examine it at your convenience; they made a mistake in mismarking the tag, but didn't attempt to alter the gun, so they didn't attempt to deceive you. This is a simple mistake, not a case of unethical behavior.

It's worth a try, but don't expect too much.
Old March 25, 2009, 09:36 AM   #959
madcratebuilder

I think mykeal hit the nail on the head. Bottom line is your happy with the gun and even at $250 you didn't over pay. If your a regular customer at this shop you may casually bring it up and see what response you get.
The gun shops around here don't know a Uberti from a Yamaha, and to my advantage at times. They properly looked at your Walker and thought "nice gun, must be a Uberti' and went from their.
A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to “The United States of America” for an amount of “up to and including my life.”
Old March 25, 2009, 03:11 PM   #960
AdmiralB

Blue Book might be useful as a comparison of like-to-like, but $350 for a Uberti? You can buy a new one for that.
Old March 25, 2009, 03:16 PM   #961
mykeal

Quote:
$350 for a Uberti? You can buy a new one for that.
Uhh, yeah. That's what the Blue Book defines 100% condition as.
Old March 25, 2009, 03:16 PM   #962
madcratebuilder

I thought they ran about $400, but you are correct, found several shops selling for $350 + shipping.
Old March 25, 2009, 03:31 PM   #963
AdmiralB

Quote:
That's what the Blue Book defines 100% condition as.
So what's unfired, used?

Must be unlike any other Blue Book with which I am familiar, if it's actually listing prices for new, warranted items.
Old March 25, 2009, 04:47 PM   #964
mykeal

Quote:
Must be unlike any other Blue Book with which I am familiar,
So, you're suggesting I'm not reading it right, or I'm perhaps not providing all the information, or what?

Buy the book. I'm just trying to help the guy out. You're free to provide yet another reference to help him as well. That might be more useful than attacking my post.
Old March 25, 2009, 05:15 PM   #965
AdmiralB

I'm suggesting nothing more than what I said in the first place - BB values are probably great for comparing like-for-like - as in, what's the value difference between a Uberti in X condition and an ASM in X condition.

However, claiming that a used Uberti in 100% condition is worth $350 wishful thinking, since any number of places sell new, warranted models for that price.

If you think that is 'attacking', well, I suppose we have different definitions.
Old March 26, 2009, 06:49 PM   #966
scrat

I believe Admiral is correct. About a year ago the cost of new Walkers was heading up into the $400 range. However they have been coming back down and are in the 350 range. I imagine they may come down even more. this is for brand new ones. Anyone who buys a walker shoots it a couple of times. Can not expect to sell at brand new condition. There will always be some depretiation based on it being used and not being sold from a retailer.
Old March 27, 2009, 12:02 AM   #967
Smokin_Gun

That's easy enough to figure out...
New Uberti Walkers
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=781518

$250 is a good price for an ASM Walker.
SASS# 19634, FROCS #24, Admin BPR http://voy.com/60048/ ,
Admin SG's Old Coots Den&Privy http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php
Old March 27, 2009, 06:34 AM   #968
Quickdraw McGraw

Quote:
$250 is a good price for an ASM Walker.
Thanks SG! I'll just keep my mouth shut.
Old March 27, 2009, 10:43 AM   #969
madcratebuilder

Quickdraw, I don't think yu over payed at all. I just got my first ASM, a 58, nickle buffalo pinto. It was hardened parts inside and appears very well made.
Old March 27, 2009, 05:30 PM   #970
Quickdraw McGraw

Thanks guys ~ I feel better now!
Old March 27, 2009, 08:37 PM   #971
DutchmanDick

Out of curiosity, how much is a 90% ASM 3rd model Dragoon worth in the Blue Book? I paid $260 for mine, and am quite satisfied with it.
Old March 27, 2009, 08:46 PM   #972
messerist

I just checked the DGW site and they have two types of WALKERS. A Palmetto for $385 and a Uberti for $355. They also have two kit WALKERS. One is for $300 but has no engraving on the cylinder and does not have a manufacturer listed. The second is from Uberti for $315.
http://www.dixiegunworks.com
Old March 27, 2009, 09:30 PM   #973
madcratebuilder

Quote:
Out of curiosity, how much is a 90% ASM 3rd model Dragoon worth in the Blue Book? I paid $260 for mine, and am quite satisfied with it.
My book is eight years old, I have compared it to newer books and most prices are unchanged. I consider the book as a general guide, it is very low on some and high on others. Books states ASM Walker, discontinued in 2000 sold new for $320, 100%=225, 98%=205, 95%=140. I think it would be hard to find any make 95% Walker for $140. It shows Uberti's walker at 370, 330, 275 and 225. Uberti is not that much better, maybe a better known name is all.
Old March 27, 2009, 10:20 PM   #974
mykeal

DutchmanDick - see my PM.
Old March 28, 2009, 11:12 PM   #975
Steven Youngblood

The 2005 price of my Uberti was $340.00 new in the box
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uberti.jpg (251.4 KB, 29 views)

Last edited by Steven Youngblood; March 28, 2009 at 11:17 PM. Reason: add photo