Quantcast
The THR Walker Club - Page 40 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Blackpowder Shooting

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old March 29, 2009, 12:34 AM   #976
scrat

where was that bought at though
Old April 1, 2009, 07:03 PM   #977
DoubleDeuce 1

Walker bayonet

TMC 4232, The bayonet is 1942. I also have a shortened version, but the revolver dwarfs the thing.
Old April 1, 2009, 08:57 PM   #978
AussieTH

A bit of advice please guys.

I was most captivated by TMC4232’s concept of a Walker ‘Long Range Express’ so I intend to have one made.

I have been in touch with a very good gunsmith and extending the barrel to 18” with a replacement barrel is not seen as a problem.

The detachable shoulder stock however may be with cutting out the shoulder stock slots without something to measure from!

The Uberti Walkers are not cut out for shoulder stocks but the Whitneyville Dragoon (and the other Dragoons I believe) were.

Would a Whitneyville Dragoon stock be capable of fitting to a Walker do you think if the Walker was slotted to take it?

On the other hand what stock did TMC4232 have in mind in real terms rather than a concept image?

Thanks in advance.

Aye

Tony
Old April 1, 2009, 09:34 PM   #979
Old Fuff

I would suggest that you contact the following company, as they specialize in parts for replica cap & ball revolvers.

VTI Gun Parts
P.O. Box 509
Lakeville, CT. 06039

www.vtigunparts.com

In terms of a replica, you might be better off by starting with a 1st model Dragoon that would come with the necessary modifications to take a shoulder stock. Then modify the barrel so that the frame could be fitted with a Walker cylinder.

In any case, VTI will know what parts fit what particular revolver(s).
Old April 1, 2009, 10:10 PM   #980
madcratebuilder

The Walker and Dragoons have the same size frames. You would need a shoulder stock designed for the wider frame of the Walker/Dragoons. Cutting the Walker frame notches is not a problem. You would need to notch the bottom of the grip frame.
Starting with a Dragoon frame you would need to change the cylinder and arbor to Walker parts, then use your custom barrel.
A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to “The United States of America” for an amount of “up to and including my life.”
Old April 1, 2009, 10:15 PM   #981
AdmiralB

I think the only Dragoon model cut for the stock is the 3rd, as far as current Uberti goes.

Also, I don't see a backstrap for the Walker or Whitneyville that's suitable either.

I think you'll have to modify both.

VTI is an excellent source for parts but I've found Taylor's to often be less expensive.
Old April 2, 2009, 12:41 AM   #982
Old Fuff

While VTI isn’t necessarily the least expensive, they are an excellent source for informed help, but for that matter so is Taylor’s.

In any case, if this project goes forward it’s not going to be inexpensive. If you build on a Walker platform both the backstrap and frame would have to be altered to take the stock. If you use a 3rd Model Dragoon backstrap and trigger guard the mainspring, mainspring screw, and possibly the hammer might have to be changed. Any way you look at it, it’s going to be involved.
Old April 2, 2009, 08:04 AM   #983
Steven Youngblood

It might get expensive, but you have to start somewhere.
If you get one built, let me know, how much and by who.
I will start saving.
Old April 2, 2009, 09:04 AM   #984
madcratebuilder

Have you found a shoulder stock that well fit the Dragoon?

The frame and grip cuts are very simple milling operations. A good smith could do all three in an hours time.

What size wheels are you putting under it?
A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to “The United States of America” for an amount of “up to and including my life.”
Old April 2, 2009, 11:55 AM   #985
scrat

I just want the barrel. i can mount my own bipod lol
Old April 2, 2009, 05:15 PM   #986
NobleSniper

Hello, new member here and a new Walker owner. Would like to join the "Walker club" Thanks
Old April 2, 2009, 05:23 PM   #987
AussieTH

Thanks for the further information guys – this is all a great help.

You can be sure that I will post periodically on progress but this is going to be a long project – mainly because of geographical considerations (I am in Australia).

At present the sequence is/will be.

1. Ensure that the project if feasible with the Walker (That is where I am now).
2. Take my ‘shooting Uberti Walker’ to the gunsmith for him to assess and mic up etc.
3. The gunsmith then knows what barrel material to source. He is fully equipped for making the new barrel and keen to do so.
4. From frame and spring information that is coming up on this thread, I will have to get that area resolved and planned for.
5. I am sourcing information from Uberti at the moment but have to wait for that to come in.
6. If at this stage the project is feasible then I will buy in another new Walker. That will be where most of the delay will come from as it is a minimum of 4 months delay for delivery. I know I can get them off the shelf in the States but I just invite work and it will take that long to get through the Customs and Police paperwork plus export/import agents fees at both ends and those turkeys do not miss you!
7. I have located a brand new Uberti Dragoon stock and will be taking a look at it next week along with a 3rd Model Dragoon – but I want to have a really good crack at doing all this with a Walker as that was the original concept and it has come from the THR Walker Club. So I want the project to stay as part of the club.
8. Finishing. I have some ideas about a degree of engraving and maybe some unique matching serial numbers which will add to the allure if Ubertu will play ball! I will almost certainly have the whole thing cased as although it is intended for regular firing it will be quite valuable and I do not want it damaged.
9. Once the new Walker is in then it can all be done in one fell swoop and out to the range it will go.
10. The final step will then be to write up the entire procedure and post it here so that you guys can copy it if you wish, plus pics and a range report.

Regarding the question about undercarriage. I have some ideas about a modified shopping trolley to tow the thing around on LOL!

I really must again say thanks for the help that has been forthcoming from this Club. I am not rich but I am attempting to retire and I am selling a couple of aircraft so I am not going to run out of money half way through. If it is possible to convert the Walker in this way then it is going to be done!

But I do have another appeal for help (and I guess Old Fuff is the guy as he appears to really have his finger on the pulse). What exactly is inadequate about the Walker back strap and springs that will get in the way of this conversion?

Keep taking the pills and applying the lotion!

Aye

Tony
Old April 2, 2009, 05:31 PM   #988
scrat

1 Scrat (Scott)
2 Gentleman of the Charcoal
3 Dixie Texian
4 Yankee John
5 Mykeal
6 Speckdds@bellsouth.net
7 Mukluk
8 BigBadGun
9 Mec
10Fineredmist
11HILDO
12Shanghai McCoy
13Tallship
14 A.WALKER
15 StrawHat
16 Mustanger1
17 Phantom Captain
18 Pulp
19 Snaggletooth
20 RugerBob
21 J.T.Gerrity
22 BDFT
23 Peter M Eick
24 JCT
25 Old Wornout Soldier
26 Brett Dixon
27. Razorback 1010
28. Rebel Dave
29. sundance44s
30. Oddman
31. Xterminator
32. TexasRifleman
33. Gopguy
34. Elbert P Suggins
35. Old Hunter
36. Blacksmoke
37. ApacheJack
38. K.A.T
39. Fedaircop
40. Hooey
41. .50cal
42. Afy
43. Shung
44. Kevc
45. PRM
46. Madcratebuilder
47. Clermont
48. Double Deuce 1
49. Iamsniper1
50. AdmiralB
51. icy
52. SMOKIN GUN
53. QUICKDRAW Mc.Graw
54. SE olka.shooter
55. Jack Steele
56. Steven Youngblood
57. The Wall
58. Shawn Grear
59. Messerist
60. AK 47Ghost
61. Molasses
62. TMC4232
63. .44 Walker
64 my123ju123
65 sltm1
66. SixShootinSam
67. NobleSniper Welcome aboard
Old April 2, 2009, 05:41 PM   #989
NobleSniper

Thanks Scrat, have already contacted BIGBADGUN to get a pair of holsters made Lots of good info on this thread thats for sure
Old April 2, 2009, 06:50 PM   #990
mykeal

Uhhh, pictures?
Old April 2, 2009, 07:01 PM   #991
NobleSniper

Will get some taken soon
Old April 3, 2009, 02:35 PM   #992
scrat

991 post wow you guys are awesome. some very good information here in the last 40 pages. what 67 members. lets keep it up. just remember keep the topics to WALKER. Thanks everyone. this has got to be heading towards the number 1 thread on thr
Old April 3, 2009, 04:00 PM   #993
gclefton

SCRAT,

Please put me down as a member. Having a 2nd Generation Colt Walker should allow me to qualify.

TIA
Old April 3, 2009, 04:31 PM   #994
Ginormous

I held a Uberti Walker at the gun shop today. Does that count?

This was a fact finding mission to see how the loading lever was retained on the Walker as compared to the Dragoon. Elegant design that hides the spring nicely, but a bit weak in the tooth. That's a really L O N G cylinder too.

Sticker was $325, previously owned, and the guy said make an offer. Visions of a key to the Walker club executive restroom danced across my mind. But then I was rudely snapped back to reality, and an obligation to Bigbadgun to send in measurements and payment for a pommel holster, crossdraw holster and belt.

I know better than to go into that shop, but the shiny things inside are just so . . tempting.
Old April 3, 2009, 05:00 PM   #995
scrat

1 Scrat (Scott)
2 Gentleman of the Charcoal
3 Dixie Texian
4 Yankee John
5 Mykeal
6 Speckdds@bellsouth.net
7 Mukluk
8 BigBadGun
9 Mec
10Fineredmist
11HILDO
12Shanghai McCoy
13Tallship
14 A.WALKER
15 StrawHat
16 Mustanger1
17 Phantom Captain
18 Pulp
19 Snaggletooth
20 RugerBob
21 J.T.Gerrity
22 BDFT
23 Peter M Eick
24 JCT
25 Old Wornout Soldier
26 Brett Dixon
27. Razorback 1010
28. Rebel Dave
29. sundance44s
30. Oddman
31. Xterminator
32. TexasRifleman
33. Gopguy
34. Elbert P Suggins
35. Old Hunter
36. Blacksmoke
37. ApacheJack
38. K.A.T
39. Fedaircop
40. Hooey
41. .50cal
42. Afy
43. Shung
44. Kevc
45. PRM
46. Madcratebuilder
47. Clermont
48. Double Deuce 1
49. Iamsniper1
50. AdmiralB
51. icy
52. SMOKIN GUN
53. QUICKDRAW Mc.Graw
54. SE olka.shooter
55. Jack Steele
56. Steven Youngblood
57. The Wall
58. Shawn Grear
59. Messerist
60. AK 47Ghost
61. Molasses
62. TMC4232
63. .44 Walker
64 my123ju123
65 sltm1
66. SixShootinSam
67. NobleSniper
68 Gclefton
Old April 3, 2009, 05:02 PM   #996
scrat

Quote:
SCRAT,

Please put me down as a member. Having a 2nd Generation Colt Walker should allow me to qualify.

TIA
You owe us pics on this one
Old April 3, 2009, 06:05 PM   #997
bigbadgun

This thread seems to have a life of its own anymore thats a beautiful thing. And the thing is its just gonna keep growing.
Good Job scrat and everybody involved.
"When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns".
Old April 4, 2009, 09:48 AM   #998
Steven Youngblood

Ginormous,
You just as well go make an offer and buy the walker.
No since in torturing yourself.
I looked at mine every time I went into the hardware store for a year.
It was $340.00 new, and I needed another gun like a hole in the head.
I have had a C&R for about 20 years and have a bunch of stuff.
It takes me an entire day just to clean them.
The only thing I did by waiting a year, was lose a year of fun.
But the walker is now the most used firearm I have and the most fun.
As for the loading handle, you could use weak loads or come up with your own method of dealing with it under 60 gr charges. I use a bread tie (two actually) to hold it in place and then undo to reload.
Old April 4, 2009, 10:27 AM   #999
pwillie

I am now looking at a Colt Walker,Uberti or 2nd Gen, I think thats correct,but would like to know if one of the conversions will fit. R&D or KIrst? Thanks for your help.Willie
Old April 4, 2009, 11:28 AM   #1000
scrat

Pwillie if you were to get a Colt Walker 2nd edition you will have a hard time trying to find a replacement cylinder. I wouldnt really want to shoot that gun as much. As for the uberti you can find conversion cylinders in both kirst and R&D available all over the place.

AND this is post 1000