Quantcast
The THR Walker Club - Page 43 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Blackpowder Shooting

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old April 11, 2009, 07:47 AM   #1051
mykeal

It has been a bit of wild ride.

But fear not - the old horse pistol has survived 162 years. It's gonna go a lot longer. These johnny-come-latelys will soon realize there isn't any better hand cannon.
Old April 11, 2009, 11:29 AM   #1052
scrat

Quote:
Gent:

You got to look out for this bunch, they ain't what you remember. Why without adult supervision they've gone hog wild. I fear for my life every time I come in here.

Why one of them actually rigged up a bay-o-net on the end of a Walker. The sight of that picture would cause Ms. Brady to swoon on the spot.

Then there was another member that came up with a "Buntline Walker," complete with a Dragoon shoulder stock and a custom 16 inch barrel.

I shudder to think what might be next!!! Why can't people be satisfied with a nice civilalized '49 Pocket Model???

Normal folks like us aren't safe here - I'm going to go hide under the bed...
hahahahahahhaha ok the Tax collerctor is back. Everyone be prepared to pay your friendship dues to GOC lol
Old April 11, 2009, 11:34 AM   #1053
GENTLEMAN OF THE CHARCOAL
Member.

Old Fuff, it seem's I do remember seeing a picture of a Walker with that long ass knife on the end of it. Looked sort of , hmmm, shall we say 'unusual' to me. If I have to get that close to something I'll take a 2 handed hold on that '47 barrel and swing it like a baseball bat. Then I read Bigbadgun's post about him getting something like that and how heavy it would be.
Yep, the '49 Pocket goes with me just about everywhere I go. I like that little gun a lot, Fuff.
It's stronger than a .22 by far and I do mean by far, if you load it properly, and it is plenty accurate enough if one remember's to stay within the working parameters of the 4 inch barrel and all... Well, you know all that stuff anyway probably as good as anyone walking the earth today and better than most...14th Alabama CSA.

Last edited by GENTLEMAN OF THE CHARCOAL; April 11, 2009 at 12:14 PM.
Old April 11, 2009, 11:46 AM   #1054
Member.

Scrat, going over my records here. We ain't got any money. We're as bad off as the U.S. Government! Have you noticed anyone like maybe spelling 'Walker' without using a capital W? Maybe refusing to sleep with their Walker and hold it close because they thought it needed a bath? Look back through the files and posts. Find something. Just anything. I will notify the treasurer Mr. MyKeal if he hasn't resigned.!!!!
Later Scrat, my ol' buddy..14th Alabama CSA.
Old April 11, 2009, 05:06 PM   #1055
AussieTH

Sometimes on these forums it is difficult to tell when folk are having fun or being serious.

If posts are drifting away from the intent of the Walker Club then it would be good for us newer arrivals to be given some guidelines. This whole site is a wonderful resource and, to me in particular, the Walker Club is especially so as that is where my main interest resides.

As an example – I was quite taken with TMC4232’s concept of a long range Walker, am in the process of having one made and wanted to share with you the challenges that I came across plus maybe get a bit of helpful advice.

But I certainly do not want to upset anybody by trampling on the ‘purity of the Walker’ and it is just as easy to go quiet and drop a couple of images of the finished weapon on here in a few months.
Old April 11, 2009, 05:37 PM   #1056
Old Fuff

Not to worry, and if I caused you any concern I'm sorry.

I used to tease GENTLEMAN OF THE CHARCOAL all the time - about everything. He's been gone for awhile, and when he unexpectedly showed up I started right in, without thinking about how others might take it.

Actually I think you have an interesting idea. For many people the Walker is a bit much so far as a handgun goes, but as long as you remember to keep your left hand behind the front of the cylinder it could make a very practical carbine.

Quote:
But I certainly do not want to upset anybody by trampling on the ‘purity of the Walker’
You won't, it's called "customizing," and all kinds of it goes on all the time. If your carbine works out it will likely start a trend, especially if one can go from revolver to carbine and back by switching barrels and adding or removing the stock.
Old April 11, 2009, 06:23 PM   #1057
AussieTH

O/F – Thank you! Certainly no offence taken or upset caused! As a newcomer a concern is that I do not unintentionally give offence.

Also it was not my idea but rather a project from those great conceptual illustrations that TMC4232 created and posted. I am just going to put those into reality if it is possible and it certainly looks as if it will be.

I wanted to stick virtually exclusively to the Walker to do all this and my gunsmith is quite confident of doing it – but I am held by a triple challenge of time, geography and Australian licensing laws (the latter restricting how many handguns you may own during an initial ‘probationary’ period despite having held a weapons license for years).

So I have been pondering on your earlier advice regarding starting with a Dragoon.

I have latched onto a brand new 3rd Model with brand new stock at a dealer not too far away. I only have to have the custom barrel made and fitted and I have very much the concept, quite quickly, that TMC4232 came up with and both a stock and cut-outs already in place.

I will not modify it for the Walker cylinder as you suggested as I want a full set of Dragoons anyway – but this gives a good platform to prepare for the second Walker when it comes in and then the exercise should be straightforward to get the full thing.

I can short circuit the licensing red tape by putting the Dragoon in the hands of one of the pistol club members so it can be worked on very soon. My main challenge may be getting it back off the club member!!!!

OK I end up with two carbines – a Dragoon and a Walker but I guess that I can live with that.

I am also most conscious that while reality comes from dreams, the road to hell is paved with good intentions – I still have to make it happen. Damn I like challenges.

Aye

Tony
Old April 11, 2009, 06:35 PM   #1058
pwillie

Aussie: I understand that firearms are not allowed in your country,so is black powder okay? (firearms that is)?
Old April 11, 2009, 07:01 PM   #1059
AZ_Rebel

Please let me in!

I have a ticket!
An old Navy Arms Walker.

Some of my other BP guns:

And my Wild Bill Hickok Pair:

Engraved 1851 Navys - Silver Plated Frames, Backstraps and Trigger Guards -Homemade "Ivory" Grips.
Luke 22:39
Old April 11, 2009, 07:07 PM   #1060
scrat

1 Scrat (Scott)
2 Gentleman of the Charcoal
3 Dixie Texian
4 Yankee John
5 Mykeal
6 Speckdds@bellsouth.net
7 Mukluk
8 BigBadGun
9 Mec
10Fineredmist
11HILDO
12Shanghai McCoy
13Tallship
14 A.WALKER
15 StrawHat
16 Mustanger1
17 Phantom Captain
18 Pulp
19 Snaggletooth
20 RugerBob
21 J.T.Gerrity
22 BDFT
23 Peter M Eick
24 JCT
25 Old Wornout Soldier
26 Brett Dixon
27. Razorback 1010
28. Rebel Dave
29. sundance44s
30. Oddman
31. Xterminator
32. TexasRifleman
33. Gopguy
34. Elbert P Suggins
35. Old Hunter
36. Blacksmoke
37. ApacheJack
38. K.A.T
39. Fedaircop
40. Hooey
41. .50cal
42. Afy
43. Shung
44. Kevc
45. PRM
46. Madcratebuilder
47. Clermont
48. Double Deuce 1
49. Iamsniper1
50. AdmiralB
51. icy
52. SMOKIN GUN
53. QUICKDRAW Mc.Graw
54. SE olka.shooter
55. Jack Steele
56. Steven Youngblood
57. The Wall
58. Shawn Grear
59. Messerist
60. AK 47Ghost
61. Molasses
62. TMC4232
63. .44 Walker
64 my123ju123
65 sltm1
66. SixShootinSam
67. NobleSniper
68 Gclefton
69. AZ_Rebel
Old April 11, 2009, 08:59 PM   #1061
AussieTH

PWillie - Hmmm! This is a bit off topic as far as the Walker is concerned but I will answer the question. If out of order then perhaps a moderator can move it all to another thread????

But some of you may be interested in seeing the very great freedoms that you have in comparison with what others do not (although I understand some of your States are giving the 2nd Amendment a bit of a workover?).

In principle we may have firearms in Oz but in practice the authorities make it quite a challenge to the point that most people think that it is in effect impossible. In realistic terms this nation has been disarmed – unless you jump through a lot of administrative hoops.

We have a whole range of license categories and these extend to cross-bows, power head spear guns etc. and even air guns.

The big emphasis is on automatic weapons and ‘concealable’ weapons. Machine guns etc are virtually out of it and the hand gun situation is extremely inhibited.

Black powder weapons are classed just the same as any other cartridge weapon but there is a slight easing with handguns (not much) but it is important to myself in terms of using the collection I have intent upon gathering.

Any firearm has to be licensed, approved, listed to the owner and then heavily protected for storage and transport (no end of requirements there like bolting a gun safe to your house floor). You cannot, for example, hang your weapons on the wall for display nor carry long arms in an open gun rack in your car unless you intend to use them and have a good reason for doing so.

Non automatic long arms are not too bad. We can own them, use them for recreational shooting and hunt with them (in suitable areas) – they are not too difficult to own. In the area where I live a lot of the ground is virgin bush hills and small mountains that are infested with Red Deer (now deemed feral and shot on sight).

The hiccup with the long arms is that you MUST have written authority from the landowner of more than a 50 acre property to shoot on. That wipes out about 95% of the population from owning even a .22 as Australia (despite its somewhat ‘frontier’ image, which a lot of it still is) has its population in coastal towns and cities and do not know landowners like that.

With the handguns there is total prohibition on recreational shooting (I cannot fire one on my 18 acre property even to sight them in) or any form of hunting. You can only use them on an approved range under the auspices of an approved pistol club that you are an approved financial member of! You are also limited to .38 cal unless under special circumstances.

The license is primarily for formal competition shooting events and you have to demonstrate that you are competing to keep the license. Six competition shoots per year and all signed off by the club on a form that you have to submit to the authorities.

But – you have to compete in a competition for each calibre weapon that you own. If you have more than one calibre then the requirement drops to four shoots per year for each calibre. Roughly translated this means that if your weapons include .22, .31, .36, .38 and .44/.45 and air gun then you have to prove you have competed formally in 24 competitions in each 12 month period.

This is where black powder is easier. You can have whatever many calibres you like and they all count as one. So you only have to do six shoots per year and that will be a big help to me.

The situation gets a bit more tricky perhaps if you go to black powder conversions and I still have to explore that with the .44s. Also if you go to detachable shoulder stocks and make carbines (which is my main project at the moment and I want to shoot them at home). I will have to dig into that one a bit.

So you want to own a handgun and shoot it in Oz? You can! But this is what you have to do whether it is black powder or cartridge!

1. Find an approved pistol club that you have realistic hope of getting to as frequently as is required.
2. Apply to the police for consent to join the club (any club) and an in depth investigation is made of you behind the scenes.
3. Get the declaration that says you can join the club (bit of a wait there).
4. Go on an official safety course for handguns (mine took nine hours, three hours travelling and included live firing and cost a fair bit).
5. Get the certificate back from the course that you passed.
6. Go to the club and apply for membership, plus pay the money that includes membership of all sorts of National organisations – so also costs a fair bit).
7. Wait for the next committee meeting to approve your membership – and this is where it actually starts.
8. You are then on probation for 6 months. In that time you have to compete in three competions but cannot own a gun – so you have to beg a loan of one. Not too difficult as most pistol clubs are desperate for new members and will carry you to the firing line!
9. At the end of six months you collect your various bits of paper and apply for the license with the police – more money and photographs etc.
10. You wait until the license appears but you cannot yet possess a handgun.
11. You then arrange storage security for the gun per the regulations.
12. Now you can apply for permission to obtain a gun. You will not get that in less than a month as they want to make sure you are not in a temper and impulsively want to shoot your wife, husband, boyfriend, girlfriend, neighbour etc (tick as many as you like).
13. You can only get a gun through a licensed broker, even if you are buying one from the guy next door. The broker submits a form with the serial numbers etc which is added to your brand new personal weapon register – that you will be held accountable for, and audited on at no warning.
14. All things being equal then you have a gun that you can shoot – but you cannot have more than a single weapon for a period of six months.
15. After that you can have probably up to about 30 (it is not actually specified) but the more you have then the more audits that you are likely to have and particularly on you having shot them enough times to meet the regulations. You also have to get written approval to acquire each one and have them added to your personal weapons list.

Yeah! We can have firearms in Oz! But not many people do. It is just too much of a hassle yet it solves so little! Only a few weeks ago a Bikie Gang had a shoot out in Syndey’s main airport terminal and there was not one controlling shot fired at them to protect the innocents around them!

Stick with your freedoms and 2nd amendment guys!

Aye

Tony
Old April 11, 2009, 09:26 PM   #1062
scrat

Walkers guys lets stick to Walkers. Last thing we need is this thread closed after a year of service. Open a new thread
Old April 11, 2009, 09:41 PM   #1063
pwillie

I ask for forgiveness,please accept my sincere apology.The Walker is a important interest in my collection.I just think Aussies explanation will help me keep sending letters to my congressmen,to keep my freedom to own a "Walker".
Old April 11, 2009, 10:20 PM   #1064
bigbadgun

come on scrat yes I agree to keep it to Walkers but you got to admit that aussies post was interesting.
"When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns".
Old April 11, 2009, 10:41 PM   #1065
pwillie

Any one have any knowledge of the Colt Walker CVA?
Old April 11, 2009, 10:47 PM   #1066
NobleSniper

Have never owned one but was told by three individuals to be careful of them. All three said they shot looseand were not suing max loads either.......... not my experience just passing along what I heard
Old April 12, 2009, 01:05 AM   #1067
scrat

Here is one of the OE. ACompany #53

http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/ad...p?itemID=13171
Old April 12, 2009, 01:25 AM   #1068
NobleSniper

Beautiful piece........... if I had the cash I would snatch it up. Wheres my lottery tickets
Old April 12, 2009, 03:08 PM   #1069
Member.

Old Fuff (aka 'Little Fluffy'!)
Doing alright?
Hey, appreciate your post I read a moment ago. Yeah I know there's serious stuff on here and sometimes I am serious, but I also like to get on here and have a little fun. Like all that mess we go through on the Walker club. I get a kick out of that! Lot's of us do I reckon.
Hey! I was bored last night so I reblued my Walker. Used some of the hot bluing stuff I had from Cabela's and my propane cookstove. It came out alright but I blistered my left thumb.
I just can never get the cylinder to get as blue black as I would like. Uberti must be like Colt and have their own secret formula.
Oh, you joke with me all you like Fuff. I enjoy it....
You know, I don't watch many movies. I'vd told ya'll that before. Well, since I was so bored and all, and not sleepy, after I got through with the '47 I watched one of my movies. (have a lot of them, just don't watch any of them much) It was a real damn good story. It is called "3:10 TO YUMA". It was a good movie Fuff. Sort of real life like..OK, later Fuff!!

Last edited by GENTLEMAN OF THE CHARCOAL; April 12, 2009 at 03:27 PM.
Old April 12, 2009, 03:22 PM   #1070
Member.

AZ Rebel, WELCOME SIR! Welcome to the proudest and most exclusive and elite club on the face of this earth. You will enjoy your time spent with us. (we will go out of our way to make sure you do) Stan..

Last edited by GENTLEMAN OF THE CHARCOAL; April 13, 2009 at 12:01 AM.
Old April 12, 2009, 05:59 PM   #1071
Old Fuff

Gent:

I is going to have you shot by a firing squad (using Walkers of course). You is charged with being politically incorrect in that you have blued a Walker cylinder. This is an unforgivable affront to that Colt’s history. It is my sad duty to inform you that you are guilty of committing a major o-fence because…

THE ORIGINAL WALKER CYLINDERS WERE NEVER BLUED! THEY WERE POLISHED AND SHIPPED “IN THE WHITE!”

Old Fuff goes over and kicks the wall in total disgust…

Oh, and 3:10 to Yuma is a pretty good movie...
Old April 12, 2009, 07:00 PM   #1072
Member.

Fuff, I didn't buy it in the white. The bluing wasn't really scratched or actually coming off anyway. It was sort of picking up a bluish/grayish sort of color. Looked pretty good that way really. I can't help it Fuff. That old Marine stuff still coming out in me I guess. I don't want to carry anything that will jingle or jangle or clink or clank or reflect the stars and moonlight.
Sorry you had to bang the wall. Hope you used your head. That way I know you wouldn't hurt yourself! Do much damage to the wall? I ain't paying for any holes you knocked in your wall.
I wonder if the Walker ever was really used on any type of firing squad? I'vd never thought about that. It would sure do a bang up job on somebody.
Well, got to get out of here for a moment. I'vd got a 'need help badly' thread posted. Trying to get some photos from the 'bucket to the forum and can't remember a single thing about how to do it. Later Mr. Fuff!!
Old April 12, 2009, 07:54 PM   #1073
Old Fuff

Quote:
Sorry you had to bang the wall. Hope you used your head. That way I know you wouldn't hurt yourself! Do much damage to the wall? I ain't paying for any holes you knocked in your wall.
The wall fell down, but not to worry. It wasn't worth a lot being bullet hole pock marked and all....
Old April 12, 2009, 09:24 PM   #1074
madcratebuilder

Quote:
I just can never get the cylinder to get as blue black as I would like
What product are you using? If it's Art's Belgian blue, just keep redoing it after carding, the more applications, the better the blue.
Personally I would leave it in the raw like the originals.
My 2nd gen came in the raw, most I see are blued.
A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to “The United States of America” for an amount of “up to and including my life.”
Old April 12, 2009, 09:26 PM   #1075
NobleSniper

PLan on removing the blueing on my Uberti cylinder this week

Last edited by NobleSniper; April 13, 2009 at 01:08 AM.