Quantcast
The THR Walker Club - Page 48 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Blackpowder Shooting

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old April 19, 2009, 08:42 PM   #1176
Oyeboten

Thanks much! ( re: CVA Walkers...)

...brooding...

You know...I was feeling pretty set on getting an 1860 Colt Army repro...but felt swayed in my thoughts about electing a Walker instead.

Now, I feel set on getting a Walker...so...I'm looking...

Darn it..."decisions"..!!

Lol...
Old April 19, 2009, 09:37 PM   #1177
NobleSniper

Well, the deal fell thru on the Tucker and Sherrard Uberti Dragoon unfortunately. WOuld of been a nice mate to my Walker. SO I guess I will try and find abnother Walker
Old April 19, 2009, 10:48 PM   #1178
dmjung

I have what appears to be a Second Generation Colt Walker that my Dad gave me a number of years ago...early or mid 80's. Unfortunately, at about that time some medical problems kept me from shooting and it has sat neglected until recently.

I would like to start some cap & ball shooting, but should I keep the Walker as a collectible and get an Uberti or whatever to shoot or just shoot the presumed Colt? It's not in perfect condition due to some storage issues, not bad, just not perfect like you'd want if you were saving a collectible item...never shot as near as I can tell. Any thoughts on shoot or only look-at?

And is there a way to tell if this is in fact a Second Generation Colt? No markings other then Colt stuff and the 4 digit serial numbers everywhere...the timeframe would seem to indicate it is, but I don't know.
Old April 19, 2009, 10:56 PM   #1179
GENTLEMAN OF THE CHARCOAL
Member.

Husker, I don't know about the dream come true part!
Hey, let me tell ya'll a little story. It's true...Now, my Grandmother and Granddaddy were borned and raised somewhere here in Wyoming. (anyway, the Granddaddy I'm speaking of here was my daddy's daddy)
My daddy was borned in early 1893, we think. Can't be real sure because they were out on the high plains and had been out there for several weeks and Grandma and Grandpa wasn't sure of the date. Grandma wrote down what she thought the month was (and guessed at the day) into the front of the Holy Bible she always carried in her right saddlebag next to her rifle and belt gun ammunition. (I still have her saddlebags) When I was borned I was sort of unexpected. Welcome, but unxpected.
My Granddaddy and my Grandma spent most of their life hunting wild horses. They would sell them to ranchers here in Wyoming and over into Montana and a few times in Canada. I think that in the beginning they sold some to the U.S. Army also. They had a little house over close to Cheyenne but they were never there. They would be gone for weeks and weeks and sometimes months, out on the open plains and all looking and running and rounding up these horses. Husker, it was a damn hard life. They cooked and ate on the ground, they slept on the ground, and the rest of the time they were in the saddle. They had 2 pack horses they pulled with them. Sometimes they would try and leave the 2 pack horses at whatever spot they were going to spend a day or two. When my daddy was borned, Grandma used to have to carry him because of course he couldn't ride. She always carried a burlap bag. (in Alabama we call it a tow sack) She had 2 holes cut in the bottom of the bag, and when it was cold or real chilly Grandma would put him in the bag. He would have a leg sticking out each hole. Grandma would sit him on the saddle in front of her, wrap one of her arms around him to hold him and away they'd go, hunting wild horses or running wild horses. She carried him like that for a few years until he was able to ride and keep up with them on a separate mount. They made pretty good money I reckon. They saved some of their money (wasn't anything to spend it on anyway) and later as they got older and the world started changing and the snows and bitter winds started taking their toll, they took off their spurs and moved to Alabama. Daddy's brother (my uncle) lived down there and he helped them to find a place and get settled in and all. They sold their place up here right before they went down there.
Husker (or anyone else reading this), I wasn't borned at that time but I know the weather and all up here, and I know there were plenty of unfriendly people scattered around and I can just imagine how tight and how rough things must have gotten for them from time to time.
Well. anyway, I realize this is the Walker site but maybe Scrat won't have me hung up and lashed!..14th Alabama CSA..

Last edited by GENTLEMAN OF THE CHARCOAL; April 19, 2009 at 11:35 PM.
Old April 19, 2009, 11:28 PM   #1180
madcratebuilder

Quote:
I have what appears to be a Second Generation Colt Walker that my Dad gave me a number of years ago...early or mid 80's. Unfortunately, at about that time some medical problems kept me from shooting and it has sat neglected until recently.

I would like to start some cap & ball shooting, but should I keep the Walker as a collectible and get an Uberti or whatever to shoot or just shoot the presumed Colt? It's not in perfect condition due to some storage issues, not bad, just not perfect like you'd want if you were saving a collectible item...never shot as near as I can tell. Any thoughts on shoot or only look-at?

And is there a way to tell if this is in fact a Second Generation Colt? No markings other then Colt stuff and the 4 digit serial numbers everywhere...the timeframe would seem to indicate it is, but I don't know.
Shoot it! If it's less than 99% it has little or no collector value. It well make an excellent shooter. The four digit guns are the most common.
A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to “The United States of America” for an amount of “up to and including my life.”
Old April 20, 2009, 12:01 AM   #1181
mykeal

Authentic 2nd Generation Colt Walkers will have "Address Col. Saml. Colt New-York US America" on the barrel, "Colt's Patent" on the frame & cylinder, "1847" on the barrel above the wedge, "44 cal" on the trigger guard and matching serial numbers on the frame, barrel, butt, trigger guard and cylinder.
Old April 20, 2009, 12:28 AM   #1182
NobleSniper

GOTC, thats a real neat story. I enjoyed reading it. As for shooting the Colt Walker......shoot it and enjoy it. But then thats just me and I cannot just set and look at something either
Old April 20, 2009, 12:31 AM   #1183
madcratebuilder

Quote:
"Colt's Patent" on the frame & cylinder,
No sir, not necessarily. "COLTS/PATENT" is not stamped on the four digit serial number frames. However, on the rare five digit serial number variation it is stamped on the left side of the frame, only 245 made. 2,921 of the four digit guns made with out it.
This info is from the latest edition of D Russell's book "Percussion Colt Revolvers The Second Generation Collectors Handbook & Price Guide #5"
A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to “The United States of America” for an amount of “up to and including my life.”
Old April 20, 2009, 12:52 AM   #1184
dmjung

Well this one doesn't quite match what people are saying should be there...

Visually, it looks like the very first picture in the first message of this thread, except the wood doesn't look quite as nice.

Top of barrel has "ADDRESS. SAMl COLT NEW-YORK CITY". (Little "L" for Samuel).
"US" above "1847" on right side of barrel above lug.
"Colts Patent" on left side of frame, but does have 4 digit serial numbers on everything.
Does -not- have 44 caliber marked anywhere.

I'm inclined to shoot it...but having another one wouldn't be a bad thing either.
Old April 20, 2009, 01:05 AM   #1185
husker

thanks for the story G O T H. i eat it up. im only 40 but am involved with a lot of steam programs. am a huge history buff. and love the industrial revolution. black smith, thrashing with steam, railroading. last but not least MR COLT WALKER ]
Old April 20, 2009, 08:38 AM   #1186
madcratebuilder

Quote:
Visually, it looks like the very first picture in the first message of this thread, except the wood doesn't look quite as nice.

Top of barrel has "ADDRESS. SAMl COLT NEW-YORK CITY". (Little "L" for Samuel).
"US" above "1847" on right side of barrel above lug.
"Colts Patent" on left side of frame, but does have 4 digit serial numbers on everything.
Does -not- have 44 caliber marked anywhere.
With he exception of the "Colts Patent" on the frame your Walker is marked like my 2nd gen Walker, serial #3201.

The Colt "F" series Walker four digit production ran from 6/80 to 4/82, serial # 1200-4120. The five digit production ran from 5/81 to 9/81. So there is an overlapping time period. It would be possible for the four digit gun to have the frame stamp, possible but unusual.

Did you get the original box with the revolver?
Old April 20, 2009, 08:47 AM   #1187
Steven Youngblood

It's to late. I'm number member 58.
Have a walker and started around post 768 I think.
But thank You.
Old April 20, 2009, 11:36 AM   #1188
Member.

Youngblood...Sorry, man. I didn't know. I was just offering a friendly hand to you.WELCOME ABOARD!!14th Alabama CSA..

Last edited by GENTLEMAN OF THE CHARCOAL; April 20, 2009 at 11:56 AM.
Old April 20, 2009, 12:46 PM   #1189
Old Fuff

Gent:

You have to curb your outrageous behavior of enticing innocent and naive folks into this notorious Walker Cult. Once trapped they start thinking of making them into detachable-stock carbines and mounting bipods. What can be next? I fear that some depraved mind will concoct a Walker snubby, with a bird’s head style butt, or perhaps dual Walkers on an anti-aircraft mount. It won’t be long before the U.S. Department of Homeland Insecurity comes after us! They’re already worried about extremist groups, and thing don’t get more extreme then what goes on around here.
Old April 20, 2009, 03:44 PM   #1190
scrat

hahahah goond one Old Fuff nice story GOTC
Old April 20, 2009, 03:46 PM   #1191
scrat

1 Scrat (Scott)
2 Gentleman of the Charcoal
3 Dixie Texian
4 Yankee John
5 Mykeal
6 Speckdds@bellsouth.net
7 Mukluk
8 BigBadGun
9 Mec
10Fineredmist
11HILDO
12Shanghai McCoy
13Tallship
14 A.WALKER
15 StrawHat
16 Mustanger1
17 Phantom Captain
18 Pulp
19 Snaggletooth
20 RugerBob
21 J.T.Gerrity
22 BDFT
23 Peter M Eick
24 JCT
25 Old Wornout Soldier
26 Brett Dixon
27. Razorback 1010
28. Rebel Dave
29. sundance44s
30. Oddman
31. Xterminator
32. TexasRifleman
33. Gopguy
34. Elbert P Suggins
35. Old Hunter
36. Blacksmoke
37. ApacheJack
38. K.A.T
39. Fedaircop
40. Hooey
41. .50cal
42. Afy
43. Shung
44. Kevc
45. PRM
46. Madcratebuilder
47. Clermont
48. Double Deuce 1
49. Iamsniper1
50. AdmiralB
51. icy
52. SMOKIN GUN
53. QUICKDRAW Mc.Graw
54. SE olka.shooter
55. Jack Steele
56. Steven Youngblood
57. The Wall
58. Shawn Grear
59. Messerist
60. AK 47Ghost
61. Molasses
62. TMC4232
63. .44 Walker
64 my123ju123
65 sltm1
66. SixShootinSam
67. NobleSniper
68 Gclefton
69. AZ_Rebel
70. dmjung
Old April 20, 2009, 08:39 PM   #1192
Member.

Hell, I'vd got NRA, GOA, and USMC stickers on my windshield and on my rear glass. Does that really make me an extreme right wing mental case? I'm a veteran to. Hell, I'm a retired veteran which I suppose is even worse! What do you think Old Fuff? Do you reckon I should drop dead right now or do you think it would be alright if I waited a little while?! I sure wouldn't want to offend anybody. Why, I'm just like Johnny Appleseed. If I have a campfire burning and I see some poor little gnats getting in the fire I will put the campfire out as opposed to causing pain and mental anguish to the little things. Perish forbid that one of them should lose their life! Everybody know's that I am against the taking of a life under any circumstances whatsoever. The sight of blood sicken's me, and just hearing a firearm discharged send's me into alternate fits of terror and deep depression.
Well, anyway..
Hey, Old Fuff. Do you think maybe I could get a job writing for some of these anti- first one thing and then the other thing peoples?
If it pay's good I'll say whatever they want to hear.
"Hunting??! You criminal! You are absolutely despicable! Using one of those horrid guns, those..Those weapons! on a poor defenseless animal! Why!! You should just be so ashamed of yourself! Don't talk to me! Get away from me! You, sir, are a terrible person! I fear that you, sir, are beyond redemption! Shame! Shame on you!"....14th Alabama CSA..

Last edited by GENTLEMAN OF THE CHARCOAL; April 20, 2009 at 09:16 PM.
Old April 20, 2009, 08:55 PM   #1193
messerist

Rotflmao
Old April 20, 2009, 09:03 PM   #1194
bigbadgun

Oh my god GoC you are my hero
"When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns".
Old April 20, 2009, 09:23 PM   #1195
scrat

GOC you telling me that your grandmother and grandfather used to sell horses to the military.

You ole coot i did not know George Washington bought horses from you.
Old April 20, 2009, 10:25 PM   #1196
dmjung

Quote:
....It would be possible for the four digit gun to have the frame stamp, possible but unusual.

Did you get the original box with the revolver?
Mine is #3278 so it's not too far from yours, but it does have the patent stamp. If there's only a handful like that, then maybe worth a little more to a collector who has to have all variations, but I don't see that being a big deal.

I didn't end up with a box so that's another strike against treating it like a collectible. I'm slowly tipping towards shoot it and find something else to collect dust.

Ooops, I just snap fired it for the first time ever...getting closer.
Old April 21, 2009, 01:08 AM   #1197
Member.

Scrat, I think back in the 1800's (I don't know what year[s] I think they sold to the Army a couple of times. I think there was a couple of problems there according to Grandma. (she used to tell me stories about what it was like back then) Army didn't want to come gather the animals. Demanded that the horses be brought all he way to them, plus Grandma said they (army) were slow in paying. Yeah, they rounded up horses, Scrat. Sure did. Sold mostly to ranchers, and I think she said one time to some Bureau of Indians Affairs agent, and just pretty well where ever they could find a market.
It was a hard life Scrat and Grandma and Grandpa were hard people. Clean, decent and honest to a fault, help anybody they could, but just take my word for it Scrat. They were borned and grew up dirt poor. They grew up hard where you stand your ground, and they worked hard to make a living in an unforgiving country, and Grandma and Grandpa would shoot somebody's ass off for them and it wouldn't take them all day to get it done either.
But I think Mr. Washington was a bit before their time....Let's talk about something else....14th Alabama CSA.

Last edited by GENTLEMAN OF THE CHARCOAL; April 21, 2009 at 08:26 PM.
Old April 21, 2009, 09:08 AM   #1198
bigbadgun

GoC you never stop amazing me you have all kinds of history running in your family a true testimonial to the early american ways. This is what makes the US so great. GoC you should start a new thread just about your family history. Thats great.
"When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns".
Old April 21, 2009, 10:36 AM   #1199
Steven Youngblood

No problem.
As for the dept of homeland security.
I'm with ya.
I'm a vet, raised 3 children and now raising a granddaughter, pro-life, Christian, own guns, and write my senator and congresswoman.
I own land and an American made pick-up truck, never been in trouble of any kind, I take that back, I did get a speeding ticket, the day my first grandchild was born.
And now I have been lumped in with folks like Tim mcveigh, and those wanting to blow up things. It must have been that RON PAUL OR FRED THOMPSON STICKERS that put me in with the white supremacist, but they won’t have me, because most of my grand children are mixed, and I love all of them.
And the biggest threat of all is that I love to shoot my walker pistol and read about what others are doing with there walkers. I’m a BAD man.
Old April 21, 2009, 02:17 PM   #1200
Member.

Youngblood, I like Fred Thompson myself. I don't think that even they would hold a speeding ticket against you, Steven! God know's I got a couple down South in that Cougar!
Shoot your Walker and enjoy it. It's your right; or at least nowadays it's your right to believe you have that right. It's a great and important part of our past, Steven. I still shoot mine. (not too much any more because I'm getting too lazy to want to clean it!) I hunt with it a little now and then.
Yeah, I was really pulling for Fred Thompson, Steven. I really liked the way he carried himself and the things he said.
Well, nice to hear from you Youngblood. I better shut up here. This is the Walker club..

Last edited by GENTLEMAN OF THE CHARCOAL; April 23, 2009 at 12:32 AM.