Quantcast
The THR Walker Club - Page 54 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Blackpowder Shooting

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old April 27, 2009, 06:57 PM   #1326
NobleSniper

I am giving serious thought to trying the Walker out on deer this fall. I am sure its more than enough revolver to get it done
Old April 27, 2009, 07:13 PM   #1327
brotherlloyd

aim small miss small
Old April 27, 2009, 07:31 PM   #1328
AussieTH

Old Fuff - another question please. Re your post #1317.

What was the rear sight mounted on the Military 3rd Model Dragoon cut for shoulder stocks and are replicas still made?

Want to put them on the Walker LRE when the custom barrels are made.

Thanks

Tony
Old April 27, 2009, 08:52 PM   #1329
Fingers McGee

Here is a picture of the rear sight on an original 3rd model dragoon.

ASM made some 3rd models with rear sight, shoulder stock, and holster. Don't know how many; but the Dragoon with sight shows up on the auction sites every now & then.
Old April 27, 2009, 09:08 PM   #1330
brotherlloyd

Noblesniper, I have used the ROA for years so the Walker is more than enough. Keep your shots within reason and place your shots proper and keep the breeze in your face.
Preacher......
Old April 27, 2009, 09:10 PM   #1331
NobleSniper

I bowhunt about 900 acres of farm ground that has alot of woodline etc mixed thru it. So none of my bow shots are very far anyways so that walker ought to be real good on them
Old April 27, 2009, 09:19 PM   #1332
J.T. Gerrity

To continue the discussion started on this post,
Walker, a Captain in the U.S. Mounted Rifles, approached President Polk regarding the new revolver. Polk was so impressed that he ordered William Marcy, Secretary of War to purchase the pistols. Marcy in turn contacted Lt. Col. George Talbot, chief of Army Ordnance, in early December 1846 regarding procurement of Colt's pistols, for which acceptance was given on or about Dec. 7th 1946; the contract was for 1000 pistols in three month's time at a price of $25 each, to be acquired by the Army specifically for the U.S. Mounted Rifles (hence the USMR roll engraving on the cylinder). The orders were approved before Colt approached Whitney to manufacture them. More military orders followed for the "improved" holster pistols (Dragoons), and it was this that put Colt "back in business".
Though several companies of Texas Rangers acted as scouts during the war, Walker was officially a Captain in the Army at the time he collaborated with Colt on the Walker.

Last edited by J.T. Gerrity; April 27, 2009 at 11:42 PM.
Old April 27, 2009, 09:23 PM   #1333
NobleSniper

Other than the 100 Walkers made for civilian sales where else did the 100 piece military contract Walkers go?? Forgive me if I am wrong but I bleeive they were all utilized in Texas originally weren't they??
Old April 27, 2009, 10:00 PM   #1334
Clermont

The rolled cylinder engraving on the Colt Walker includes "MODEL U.S.M.R." Does this suggest that, the revolver we refer to as the Colt Walker, was originally designated as the Model U.S.M.R.? The Whitneyville Hartford Dragoon also has, included in the rolled cylinder engraving, "MODEL U.S.M.R.". Subsequent Colt First, Second, and Third Model Dragoons also have "MODEL U.S.M.R." in the rolled cylinder engraving although a variation in all three models will have "U.S. DRAGOONS" in lieu of "MODEL U.S.M.R." Not withstanding the "U.S. DRAGOONS" marking, were the Colt Walker, Whitneyville Hartford Dragoon, and First, Second, and Third Model Dragoons, all designated Model U.S.M.R. revolvers, the same model, but with improvements beginning with the Whitneyville Hartford Dragoon? I don't know the answer but, because the designations given these models are modern, the "MODEL U.S.M.R." marking is worthy of debate.
Old April 27, 2009, 10:35 PM   #1335
GENTLEMAN OF THE CHARCOAL
Member.

Noble Sniper, you surprise me sir. Is there no end to the astonishment
you provide for me? I thought you deer hunted with an authenic Kalashnikov, you know; either of the AK-47 or perhaps the AK-49 variety...That Walker will put a buffalo's ass (bison) in the dirt further than you can probably hit it. (accurately and in the right spot)
Not saying you can't shoot a little so don't get your tail twisted into a knot here!..Need some hunters on here. I like this site but I do get a little tired of just looking at people's pictures and reading about how they done this to it and how they done that to it. Of course that's part of what the site is for. I'm just saying I'd like to hear a little bit about people using the guns in the manner for which they were designed and produced. I have been skipping around looking for a bunch of hunters but basically all I'vd found so far is people wanting money and/or bitching about the government.
I think the new member Brotherlloyd is a hunter. God bless him.
I must admit that sometimes I feel terribly lost on this site. I had to submit a news article (e-mail) today, and I mentioned guns in it. I just know that ol' liberal green weinie enviromental whacked out gun hating anti- everything did a slow burn when she read it. Nothing she could do about it though. She dosen't have enough stroke to over ride me.
Well, anyway. Maybe we can get some hunters on here. I would like to read their stories..14th Alabama CSA..

Last edited by GENTLEMAN OF THE CHARCOAL; April 27, 2009 at 11:53 PM.
Old April 27, 2009, 10:57 PM   #1336
Pulp

Smile

OK GOTC you asked for it:

A couple of years ago I loaded up my Walker with some heavy loads (55 grains Goex FFg by weight, 180 grain Buffalo Ball-et)to carry on a hog hunt. We didn't see any hogs and I didn't shoot the gun. How's that for an exciting hunting story.

A couple of weeks later at a Cowboy Action Match:

The first stage involved shooting from inside a cabin, through a window. I still had the hunting rounds in the Walker. Inside the cabin were three spotters and the RO plus myself. At the first shot a lady behind me (spotter) screamed "My God what was that??!!" and exited the cabin. Four shots later I had the cabin to myself. The spotters gave me a clean stage, which with my shooting is debatable. The RO's timer picked up my last shot, even though he was also outside.

And that folks, is what the Colt Walker is all about.

World's Worst Cowboy Action Shooter
Graduate of Sawyer's School of Shooting
Old April 27, 2009, 11:06 PM   #1337
Member.

Pulp, good story. Damned good story. Don't feel bad because you didn't get a kill. Like no one catches fish every time they go either...That last part of the story was funny. (I'vd always got a cup of coffee with me except when I'm asleep) I had to set my cup down before I messed up and slopped it out from my laughing! Yeah, that was a story well worth the telling Pulp....
Old April 27, 2009, 11:18 PM   #1338
Member.

Pulp. I'vd never tried to shoot ffg (2f) in my Walker. How's it work out for you? I always tried to work things out so I just had to keep up with one size of powder. I settled on 3fffg. (3f) It works good in everything from the little North American mini .22 Magnum (which I don't even know where it is. haven't seen it in a long time. it's stuck around here somewhere) right on through the '49, 58's, 47's and also work's good in .45 caliber inlines. The last time I shot any 2ffg (2f) was years and years ago in a .50 caliber Knight. (the MK 85.back when he was first coming out with them)....

Last edited by GENTLEMAN OF THE CHARCOAL; April 28, 2009 at 12:12 AM.
Old April 27, 2009, 11:21 PM   #1339
madcratebuilder

Quote:
The rolled cylinder engraving on the Colt Walker includes "MODEL U.S.M.R." Does this suggest that, the revolver we refer to as the Colt Walker, was originally designated as the Model U.S.M.R.?
This link well tell you brief history. A little more.
The Walker and Dragoons are very different. Shorter barrel, frame and cylinder on the Dragoon.
Colt used three different roll engravings through the years, all by WL Ormsby. Ormsby's story is as interesting as Colt's.
The three engravings are, if I remember correct, the Texas Ranger/Comanche fight, US Navy/Mexican Navy fight and the stage hold up.

Quote:
variation in all three models will have "U.S. DRAGOONS" in lieu of "MODEL U.S.M.R."
I believe the U.S. DRAGOONS is a Italian thing. Every original I have seen photos of is engraved MODEL USMR and COLT'S PATENT on the cylinder.
A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to “The United States of America” for an amount of “up to and including my life.”
Old April 27, 2009, 11:33 PM   #1340
NobleSniper

GotC, why in the world would you think I would hunt with a kalashnikov?? I have owned several over the years but have never hunted with them...... impractical. Actually all of my deer hunting was done with a longbow last year. I have also used a TC Hawken deer hunting years ago. No offense but you are sure jumping to misconceptions about me for some reason????? And all of my upland hunting is done with a old SxS 12g
Old April 27, 2009, 11:45 PM   #1341
AussieTH

Fingers - many thanks for the pic.

Now - anyone know if any replicas are made and where I can get them from please. I am going to need three or four at least.
Old April 27, 2009, 11:50 PM   #1342
NobleSniper

Actually the Walker was designed to kill Mexicans and comanches wasn't it????

Quote GotC "Noble Sniper, you surprise me sir. Is there no end to the astonishment
you provide for me? I thought you deer hunted with an authenic Kalashnokov, you know; either of the AK-47 or perhaps the AK-49 variety...That Walker will put a buffalo's ass (bison) in the dirt further than you can probably hit it. (accurately and in the right spot)
Not saying you can't shoot a little so don't get your tail twisted into a knot here!..Need some hunters on here. I like this site but I do get a little tired of just looking at people's pictures and reading about how they done this to it and how they done that to it. Of course that's part of what the site is for. I'm just saying I'd like to hear a little bit about people using the guns in the manner for which they were designed and produced. I have been skipping around looking for a bunch of hunters but basically all I'vd found so far is people wanting money and/or bitching about the government.
I think the new member Brotherlloyd is a hunter. God bless him.
I must admit that sometimes I feel terribly lost on this site. I had to submit a news article (e-mail) today, and I mentioned guns in it. I just know that ol' liberal green weinie enviromental whacked out gun hating anti- everything did a slow burn when she read it. Nothing she could do about it though. She dosen't have enough stroke to over ride me.
Well, anyway. Maybe we can get some hunters on here. I would like to read their stories..14th Alabama CSA.."

And don't worry I am a hell fo a shot whether with powder and ball, shotgun, handgun, or rfle I have had them all
Old April 27, 2009, 11:50 PM   #1343
AdmiralB

Quote:
What was the rear sight mounted on the Military 3rd Model Dragoon cut for shoulder stocks and are replicas still made?
Uberti makes a 3rd Dragoon cut for the stock, but I don't know where you'd get the stock...unless the one for the 1860s also fits.
Old April 28, 2009, 12:06 AM   #1344
Member.

Just messing with you Noble Sniper. Just messing with you! I don't know about Mexican people but you don't mess around with no Co-manch unless you're carrying a handful of Patersons. That's what I heered anyway!
I'vd never owned a shotgun in my life. I don't know. Just never have. Never wanted one. I learned a long time ago that there are very few problems in this world that cannot be solved with a well placed rifle shot. At least that's what they tried to beat through my thick skull!
How you doing tonight Noble Sniper? Are you gonna be up kind of late? I usually turn everything off and go to sleep because I figure that's what everyone else on here does. You know, gotta get up and go to work and all. I'm just not sleepy tonight at all. I guess I'vd been sleeping too much. I'm glad I'm retired. I still work some but I do it out of my place here on the 'puter. I'll help my neighbors with their cattle some but it's still a little too early in the year for that to get kicked off good....
Old April 28, 2009, 12:10 AM   #1345
walker944

Sorry I'm late for roll call....count me in as a member.
Old April 28, 2009, 12:13 AM   #1346
NobleSniper

You ought to give a shotgun a try. Alot of fun. Not only do I birdhunt alot with mine I also shoot trap with Dad. Nothing like shooting trap with fella's that shoot $5000 shotguns and running a round better than they did with your field gun I have had all kinds of firearms but I tell you what these cap n ball revolvres really have a hold of me now. And I gotta say the Walker is the biggest bada** of the bunch But then again I used to go to the range and plink qwith a couple of 375 H&H rifles I had....... some folks say I am not right As far as a Walker on Comanches...... that why they gav them a pair of 'em Probably go to bed soon and read for an hour or so and turn off the lights. Layed off right now but I keep the dogs in a night and they like to get up early
Old April 28, 2009, 12:22 AM   #1347
Member.

Walker 944, Mr. Scrat will enter your name on the list as soon as he see's your post. WELCOME ABOARD SIR!!!!
Old April 28, 2009, 12:27 AM   #1348
NobleSniper

I have to say this is probably one of my favorite threads in years!!!!!!! I am gonna take the time to start from the beginning again and copy information and pictures and print it off just for my own use. I searched around for the beter part of a month on the net and didn't find anywhere near the information that is contained in this thread.
Old April 28, 2009, 12:28 AM   #1349
AdmiralB

Quote:
I bowhunt about 900 acres of farm ground that has alot of woodline etc mixed thru it.
Not in Anderson, I'm guessing!
Old April 28, 2009, 12:32 AM   #1350
Member.

Noble Sniper, well, you and the dogs have a good night.
I'vd messed around with and owned lot's of modern cased rifles and revolvers and semi- automatic pistols in my life to. Gave all of them up years ago. Just building my own round so to speak and doing it sort of like I know they done it way back then just make's a good feeling of satisfaction come over me. It's just make's me feel better. Like I'm really doing something.
Well, ok then. I'll see if maybe I can find someone else keeping late hours. Have a good night, Noble Sniper..Hey! I'vd never tried a long bow but I do have a real nice cross bow....

Last edited by GENTLEMAN OF THE CHARCOAL; April 28, 2009 at 12:55 AM.