Quantcast
The THR Walker Club - Page 60 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Blackpowder Shooting

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old May 5, 2009, 02:17 PM   #1476
poordevil

I don't have a Walker; but I have read Blood Meridian and I have a Colt Signature series 3rd model Dragoon.

Those two qualifications are about as close as you can get without actually owing the gun!

Actually I was thinking of the Walker back when I picked up the Dragoon. The dropping loading lever I think is what steered me away from it. No regrets, the 3rd model has been a great shooting .44. I may yet get the Walker but I want one of the Colt reissues rather than a Uberti, so I need to shop around.
Old May 5, 2009, 06:50 PM   #1477
Steven Youngblood

Poordevil,
Not to sound mean, but that is like riding a scooter and wanting to be in the harley club.
While the dragoon is a good gun it aint a walker.
so go get the walker, feel the power.
You know you want it.
But glad to know ya.
Old May 5, 2009, 07:46 PM   #1478
GENTLEMAN OF THE CHARCOAL
Member.

I'm in Alabama and I have a laptop hooked up here. The eyes of Alabama are upon you!
I will only be here about a month then I'm going back home. (I guess)
I'vd got to shoot some rabbits out of my sister's garden, plus she said there's a wild turkey that show's up there around sun up every morning and just struts around and eats like the garden belonged to him. Plus she's ran lot's of deer out of it several times already..She's got a damn humongus garden. I mean it's big. Her 2 grandchildren help her work it....
Old May 5, 2009, 07:49 PM   #1479
NobleSniper

Good to see you back on here. The place was starting to go to hell.
Old May 5, 2009, 08:07 PM   #1480
Member.

Sniper, thank you for the welcome back....
Old May 5, 2009, 08:42 PM   #1481
brotherlloyd

turkey

GOTC, glad to here you made it ok. I just rolled in from old mexico. I just knew you'd be checking out a wild turkey when you got back home in Alabama. God bless and the Walker will work fine just aim for his face. Or you might just want to admire & study the old bird. In the mean time keep you weapon clean the breeze to your face and Jesus in your heart.
Old May 5, 2009, 09:04 PM   #1482
Member.

Brotherlloyd, good evening to you. Glad you made it ok likewise.
Yeah, there's lot's of turkey's in Alabama. I probably won't use the Walker. I'll probably use a '58. Between my nephew and my grand nephew I think they'vd already shot 2 or 3 turkey's around there. I think they used shotguns....
Old May 5, 2009, 10:25 PM   #1483
scrat

NO NO NO you have to use the walker and post some pics or email them to me and i will post. wow sounds like your going to have a heck of a month. welcome back GOTC how was the drive.
Old May 5, 2009, 11:14 PM   #1484
Member.

Scrat, good evening. The drive was fine. I just hate driving through St. Louis and across that damn river bridge in Memphis. Family's doing good. I love them but I don't want to live down here, Scrat. I just feel closed in and hampered. I didn't drive the truck down. I got a driver for that. I drove a personal vehicle.
Scrat, my sister fed me a big plate of country ham (of course she fed the truck driver to) and buttermilk cornbread just as soon as we got there. Damn!! It was good! And cabbage. There was plenty of cabbage to. The driver drank sweetened iced tea and I drank coffee.
I love them and we all missed each other but I already miss Wyoming and Montana. I spend a right smart of time in Montana during the summer months. Up there by Great Falls next to the Sioux reservation.
Well, good to hear from you Scrat....
Old May 6, 2009, 12:33 AM   #1485
Oyeboten

If ( or as, ) the 'Walkers' are KING...

Who then would be the Prince? Or Princes?
Old May 6, 2009, 08:36 AM   #1486
NobleSniper

Found this and thought it might be helpful

http://www.gun-data.com/colt_walker_dragoon%20.html
Old May 6, 2009, 10:14 AM   #1487
madcratebuilder

Great link, thanks NS.
A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to “The United States of America” for an amount of “up to and including my life.”
Old May 6, 2009, 01:37 PM   #1488
Ginormous

Heavy metal from a Walker?

Walker savants -

What is the chance I can safely fire these bargain bin bruisers from my Uberti Walker? And what charge of BP would be appropriate?

Looking to make an impression on the steel gongs at my next outing.

Old May 6, 2009, 02:46 PM   #1489
Member.

Don't know. Never tried to fire any of them. All I'vd ever shot are the .457 swaged round lead balls. Somebody will jump on here and tell you though....

Last edited by GENTLEMAN OF THE CHARCOAL; May 6, 2009 at 03:14 PM.
Old May 6, 2009, 03:03 PM   #1490
brotherlloyd

http://store.bluebookinc.com/Info/PD...Proofmarks.pdf

this was an old post from mykeal back in 06 in another forum thanks
found out my Uberti Walker is a 1983
Old May 6, 2009, 08:00 PM   #1491
arcticap

Quote:
What is the chance I can safely fire these bargain bin bruisers from my Uberti Walker? And what charge of BP would be appropriate?

Looking to make an impression on the steel gongs at my next outing.
It's not as much of being a question of whether one can, it's more about whether one should & whether it's advisable.
The reproduction Picket type bullet only weighs 170 grains (Post #14 has velocity data):

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthrea...=picket+bullet

On the other hand, that Buffalo Bullet is a deer hunting bullet that's more intended for shooting out of .45 rifles along with a fairly heavy powder charge.
There's wear and tear on the gun to consider, and also the distance that these heavy bullets will be able to travel with the available room left for the powder load.

Last edited by arcticap; May 6, 2009 at 08:25 PM.
Old May 6, 2009, 08:07 PM   #1492
pwillie

Gentleman: "bama? or Wyoming? Which is your home?
Old May 6, 2009, 08:29 PM   #1493
Member.

PWillie, borned and raised on squirrel dumplings and pinto beans and cornbread in the hills of North Alabama. My relations are still scattered all across that part of the country. I call Wyoming home now. I like it up there. I'll be going back in several weeks from now....
Old May 6, 2009, 09:19 PM   #1494
Ginormous

Quote:
There's wear and tear on the gun to consider, and also the distance that these heavy bullets will be able to travel with the available room left for the powder load.
Very true articap. Great information in that link, thank you.

Just a rough guess, but I imagine I'd have hard time getting 30 or 35 gr behind that big honking chunk of lead. Additionally, I am impressed by the energy figures mec posts for the Walker with practical loads and bullet weights. A 285 grain projectile is a bit out of line for the Walker. Darn.
Old May 6, 2009, 09:27 PM   #1495
AdmiralB

Buffalo made Ball-ets for revolvers, too - they were smaller. Buffalo folded up a couple years back, though some shops still have old stock.
Old May 6, 2009, 09:35 PM   #1496
Ginormous

Quote:
. . . though some shops still have old stock . . .
Old is right, I found these in the bargain bin during my wanderings to local gun shops. The price on the sticker is from several years ago, and these were half of that as I recall. The lube on the bullets had dried up and turned to powder. The Styrofoam container is quite nice though. Holds the bullets nice and snug, and can be repurposed for any number of things. Wish I had more of them.
Old May 6, 2009, 09:35 PM   #1497
Smokin_Gun

Howdy there Gentleman of the Charcoal...say hi to Bami from me, and you have a great time...
SASS# 19634, FROCS #24, Admin BPR http://voy.com/60048/ ,
Admin SG's Old Coots Den&Privy http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php
Old May 6, 2009, 09:39 PM   #1498
Member.

Smoking gun, thank you sir and I mean it to....
Old May 6, 2009, 09:53 PM   #1499
arcticap

Why not carefully trim the Buffalo Bullets down in size with a razor knife or such? They don't all need to be cut perfectly and exactly the same. I'd just hope that they don't need paper patching to stay put in the chamber under recoil.

http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/cata.../blackpow.html
Old May 6, 2009, 09:53 PM   #1500
brotherlloyd

Smoking Gun,
Mojave Desert-huh, was there in mid 70's learning desert survival and playing war games with the devils brigade 1/504 Airborne Inf. The 5th S.F. told us from the jungle to the desert, middle east is next stop. Now look at me from machine guns to Walkers.