Quantcast
The THR Walker Club - Page 61 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Blackpowder Shooting

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old May 6, 2009, 10:14 PM   #1501
Ginormous

Quote:
Why not carefully trim the Buffalo Bullets down in size with a razor knife?
And hope that they don't need paper patching to stay put in the chamber under recoil.
These Buffalo bullets are a tapered design. The bottom land measures .450", while the second measures .454" and the third measures .457". After I miked them is when I had the brilliant (or not so brilliant) idea to load and shoot them in my Walker as steel target clangers with attitude.

I could probably shorten them a bit on my 1/2" drill press by grinding the base against coarse sandpaper to get the weight down to 250 grains or so. Another method might be to "excavate" the hollow base further to the same end. Either way, I don't think I'll have to paper patch them to keep them tight.

Is the 250 gr. REAL bullet from Lee a viable heavy projectile for the Walker?

Last edited by Ginormous; May 6, 2009 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Corrected "all your bases are belong to us" grammar :)
Old May 6, 2009, 11:27 PM   #1502
TMC4232

Dear Lord...Reserve Met........and it's a COPY !!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=128240370

"It's a dry heat" - Are you kidding? It's like living on the surface of the sun!!!
Old May 7, 2009, 12:33 AM   #1503
scrat

oh wow
Old May 7, 2009, 12:37 AM   #1504
scrat

Ginormous that hollow base worries me. also they seem a bit to big. like others mentioned the twist rate these long bullets wre made for may not be that great. they r truely nice. i would put them to good use.
Old May 7, 2009, 12:40 AM   #1505
Ginormous

Scrat, what about a hollow base bullet in the Walker worries you?
Old May 7, 2009, 01:38 AM   #1506
Oyeboten

Or...what would the Heaviest weight Hollow Base or other Bullet be, for a Walker, or, a Dragoon, to feel happy with?

Saw an old Lyman "445" Mould for making Hollow Base, 155 grn, 44 Cal Bullets, awhile back...it's gnawing on me that I did not get it.

Is 155grn an alrighty weight for a Walker or Dragoon?

Phil
l v
Old May 7, 2009, 09:12 AM   #1507
scrat

The air gap between the powder and the bullet.
Old May 7, 2009, 09:15 AM   #1508
Ginormous

There is no air gap on a compressed load when the bullet is seated properly. The black powder is forced into the hollow base, leaving no voids at all.
Old May 7, 2009, 09:43 AM   #1509
TMC4232

With the modern steels that Uberti uses for their revolvers, including the black powder ones, we would assume that the Uberti Walker and Colt's Walker (Uberti) could handle the increased pressure of such a heavy weight bullet. Then again, we don't know for a fact what the true metal content is or what heat treating / hardening proceedures were used on the different makes of modern BP revolvers. I would try using leighter weight solid based bullets first, cleaning the barrel after each shot, and then work my way up. The recoil on the big brut that you want to use should be noticeable.

"It's a dry heat" - Are you kidding? It's like living on the surface of the sun!!!
Old May 7, 2009, 10:07 AM   #1510
Ginormous

Good plan TMC4232. I've got plenty of 200 and 220 gr conicals I have been shooting in my '58's, and Dragoon. Really wish I had a flat based 250 gr to fill the gap between those and the 285 gr behemoth.

First order of business is to do some volumetric measurements of the Walker cylinder and the 285 gr HBHP. That would give me a good idea of the volume remaining in the cylinder for a BP charge. Ask articap states, if I end with 25-30 gr of BP volume available, the project may be self defeating. Although even a 285 grain slug at 650 fps or so would be interesting to shoot.

The Walker Casull, yeah that's the concept!
Old May 7, 2009, 01:11 PM   #1511
arcticap

At least one person has successfully fired lightweight .45 acp bullets in their 1860.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showpost....2&postcount=26

And these swagged .45LC 250 grain SWC's basically have a .453 diameter (.452 -.454), a slightly beveled base and measure .70 inches long.

Maybe harder lead bullets like these would work if loaded with a press?

The outfit below also offers a variety of sized BP bullets including this one weighing 250 grains in sizes .452 and .454:

http://www.whyteleatherworks.com/Accessory%20page.htm

http://www.whyteleatherworks.com/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1050697a50%.JPG (60.8 KB, 220 views)

Last edited by arcticap; May 7, 2009 at 06:56 PM.
Old May 7, 2009, 02:13 PM   #1512
Ginormous

Can't locate my debit card fast enough! Thank you Articap!!
Old May 8, 2009, 10:33 AM   #1513
scrat

Holly smoke that is some good info Articap. for sure where is my DEBIT CARD
Old May 8, 2009, 06:10 PM   #1514
bigbadgun

You know as long as I have been a member of this here walker club I have NEVER seen grown men get so excited over a piece of lead before. My god you people act as if you never seen a boolit before. Um whats that website again. LOL im sorry I was smelling bp fumes today. And still aint shot my ss remmy yet.
"When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns".
Old May 8, 2009, 06:29 PM   #1515
A. Walker

Remember that the Walkers were originally designed to take a 218 grain conical. I'd say start from there. Seems like 250 grains wouldn't be a problem.
Old May 8, 2009, 06:33 PM   #1516
Ginormous

It's all about projectile envy!

When the Walker and Dragoon bark, the range listens - now they can envy my CLANG on the steel targets.

It's a "mine is bigger than yours" kind of thing. Steel targets are serious business. . . seriously.
Old May 8, 2009, 06:36 PM   #1517
NobleSniper

Projectile envy...................how lude
Old May 8, 2009, 06:38 PM   #1518
Ginormous

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Projectile envy? Where do I get this stuff?

<<<< 300+ posts.
Old May 8, 2009, 06:40 PM   #1519
mykeal

I don't understand something. Why won't a round ball ring a reactionary target?
Old May 8, 2009, 06:41 PM   #1520
NobleSniper

I don't know where you gt it but thats the best chuckle I have had all day
Old May 8, 2009, 06:52 PM   #1521
Ginormous

Quote:
I don't understand something. Why won't a round ball ring a reactionary target?
It's a guy thing.
Old May 8, 2009, 06:53 PM   #1522
bigbadgun

Mine is bigger than yours. Hmmmm
I was at the range once a while back and I got set next to a guy with a 500. every body was ou ahh ing around him. So I figured I would let him have his moment in the sun. and started out with my .44 '58 remmie.
And after about an hour I figured his time was up. So here comes Mr. Walker. Loaded up 50 grains and .454 balls and boom boom boom. suddenley I have the entire range behind me. When I was done I got bombarded with what the hell is that thing. So I spent the next hour or so letting a bunch of people shoot Mr. Walker including the range Master. While Mr. 500 packed up and went home. LOL Im sorry I thought I would share that.
"When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns".
Old May 8, 2009, 07:00 PM   #1523
Ginormous

Seriously now Mykeal, who wouldn't want the spinner to go around more times than anyone else at the the range?

.375 80 gr. RB - clink
.457 144 gr. RB - clang
.451 200 gr. conical - Clang
.456 220 gr. conical - CLANG
.456 285 gr. HBHP - Somebody mind going over the berm and bringing back the spinner?

Something about Newton's Third Law and stuff.

Last edited by Ginormous; May 8, 2009 at 07:18 PM.
Old May 8, 2009, 11:34 PM   #1524
mykeal

Quote:
.375 80 gr. RB - clink
.457 144 gr. RB - clang
.451 200 gr. conical - Clang
.456 220 gr. conical - CLANG
.456 285 gr. HBHP - Somebody mind going over the berm and bringing back the spinner?

Something about Newton's Third Law and stuff.
I have no doubt the heavier projectiles would impact the target with more energy than the lighter ones...IF...

...they were fired with increasingly larger amounts of powder so as to leave the muzzle with more energy...but...

...the volume of the chambers is limited so that when you load larger projectiles the amount of powder you can load is less, thus the muzzle energy of the larger projectiles is correspondingly less...thus...

... the energy that the larger rounds will have at the target will be LESS, not more...AND...

...I seriously doubt that you could actually hear the difference...you might think you can, because you are expecting the larger round to ring louder, but acoustically the difference is so small as to be undetectable by a human ear, especially at the distance involved.

I'd place a significant wager (an ice cold long neck, for instance) that if I fired the rounds randomly you would not be able to identify which ones were which.

But that's just my opinion. Could be wrong, I suppose...
Old May 8, 2009, 11:43 PM   #1525
Ginormous

To be perfectly honest, it's all about watching the spinner go round and round.
I cannot hear the clank over the boom of the pistol discharge at the range the targets are located (<25 yards).