Quantcast
The THR Walker Club - Page 64 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Blackpowder Shooting

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old May 15, 2009, 10:08 PM   #1576
sltm1

PURDY, PURDY, GUN !! You guys who can keep your guns in pristine condition truly amaze me, me, I'm a pig, I gotta shoot whatever I lay my hands on. My grandkids will have a great collection of slightly (some heavily), used guns when I'm gone, your's will have collectables. Don't think t's a matter of how much we love our grandkid's, but rather a matter of lust for the smell of smoke. I couldn't keep a 32' Chord just for sunny, Sunday drives either....like I said, I'm a pig!
Old May 15, 2009, 10:10 PM   #1577
NobleSniper

Thanks alot guys........ I have to admit though when I am dead and gone it will not be abused as I take meticulous care of my firearms but it will be well used. Some folks cringe at the thought of me shooting my(when I got it) new in the box Colt Peacemaker. I am not a collector, I am a shooter. I am just trying to figure out if I should remove the blue on that gold inlayed cylinder or not??? What do you guys think??
Old May 15, 2009, 10:13 PM   #1578
Ratdog68

LOL

"PURDY, PURDY, GUN !! You guys who can keep your guns in pristine condition truly amaze me, me, I'm a pig, I gotta shoot whatever I lay my hands on. My grandkids will have a great collection of slightly (some heavily), used guns when I'm gone, your's will have collectables. Don't think t's a matter of how much we love our grandkid's, but rather a matter of lust for the smell of smoke. I couldn't keep a 32' Chord just for sunny, Sunday drives either....like I said, I'm a pig!"

A man after my own heart !!
I don't have grandkids.
Let 'em earn their own heirlooms and decide whether they're just dust collectors !! If I've earned it... I deserve to KNOW how it performs and enjoy its use !!!!
Old May 15, 2009, 10:15 PM   #1579
NobleSniper

Heirlooms.......... I have a 22 rifle my grandfather bought abck when he was a young man. He hunted with it and plinked with it. My Dad learned to shoot with it abnd he used it as well. Eventually Grandpa gave it to him. ABout two months ago Dad gave it to me and I will use it and my children will shoot it. One day one of them will be the caretaker of it. You can use it and take care of it and it will last forever.......or close to it
Old May 15, 2009, 11:10 PM   #1580
sltm1

NS, I take almost obsessive care of my shooter's too, but shot, is shot and new is new....I like "new-shot"

Yo, Ratdog, with a name like that, I know we're kindred spirits!!
Old May 15, 2009, 11:45 PM   #1581
Ratdog68

Yeah... well...

I don't exactly "fit" into the likes of my surroundings too much. Metropolitan Seattle is a little "martian-like" to me. I'll bet you like a good dark beer? Skunk beer sucks !!
Old May 15, 2009, 11:49 PM   #1582
GENTLEMAN OF THE CHARCOAL
Member.

XXXX

Last edited by GENTLEMAN OF THE CHARCOAL; May 19, 2009 at 12:15 AM.
Old May 15, 2009, 11:51 PM   #1583
NobleSniper

Old May 16, 2009, 12:21 AM   #1584
Old Fuff

Quote:
Some folks cringe at the thought of me shooting my(when I got it) new in the box Colt Peacemaker.
But..but...but!!! If you had read the owner's manual it says, "DO NOT SHOOT THIS GUN!

That's straight from the Colt Company itself!!! How coulds you do such a thing??? This is outrageous!!! The Old Fuff is going to go throw a fit!!!!!!!!!

Old May 16, 2009, 12:25 AM   #1585
NobleSniper

THe dern thing shoots real good
Old May 16, 2009, 11:44 AM   #1586
Steven Youngblood

I would leave the bluing on the gun,
It looks remarkable.
But I would have to shoot it.
as for my kids and grand kids, None of them would know what to do with my guns. I have a son-n-law in saudi arabia, that would give his left --- for my collection.
He was an airborne ranger and joined the airforce, and serves as military police, he is a great kid, and a good father to my grandson. I may leave him a goodie or two.
Old May 16, 2009, 06:47 PM   #1587
AussieTH

Walker/Dragoon Long Range Express - Opinons Sought

Hi Sportsfans,

I am looking ahead a bit and seeking some personal opinions please about the Walker Long Range Express (LRE) project.

At present concentration is being applied to getting prototypes up and running for initial evaluation. There is intended to be two basic types – the Walker and the 3rd Model Dragoon. These will be built around current Uberti models (to ease spares supply) as well as deal with the large loads that will be wanted for using the weapons.

We have to start looking beyond this phase as although I do not have (personally) any intention of making this any form of ‘business’ doubtless other people are going to want them.

So the question at the moment that I am considering is the presentation of the gun. My inclination at the moment is to put the standard ‘blued’ Uberti cylinders back into the white. This matches the original Walkers although the Dragoons had blued cylinders.

Bearing in mind that these weapons never existed in the Old Days – what are your opinions – leave them blue or return them to the white? What would appeal to you most?

This detail has to be seen in overall project context – so this is what is being worked towards:

A basic Uberti Walker or 3rd model Dragoon. The latter can be obtained cut for shoulder stock and we will cut the Walkers ourselves.

Any production models will be limited edition only and all parts will have unique matching serial numbers.

Modified Uberti shoulder stocks will be produced to take the broader frames of the Walker and the Draggie.

Custom 18” barrels will be made for each out of the best quality steel we are able to obtain. These will be extended versions of the originals so the barrels will be interchangeable (you can return the gun to original size if you wish and then back again).

Thought is being applied to some tasteful engraving (but not too flashy) to set off the weapons.

Talks are underway with Big Bad Gun of these forums for custom carved leather slings that will be unique (and serial numbered) to each LRE.

The whole lot (and accessories) will be in a presentation case including the original and custom barrels.

So what are your opinions? All input is most welcome.

There is no point asking how much these things will cost as we just do not know yet and are in the process of finding out. They will not be cheap that is for sure because we are not after some kind of ‘trashy gimmick’ but a high quality product.

Aye

Tony
Old May 16, 2009, 07:49 PM   #1588
NobleSniper

Looking forward to hopefully getting one of these
Old May 16, 2009, 09:40 PM   #1589
poordevil

Hi Sportsfans,

I am looking ahead a bit and seeking some personal opinions please about the Walker Long Range Express (LRE) project.

At present concentration is being applied to getting prototypes up and running for initial evaluation. There is intended to be two basic types – the Walker and the 3rd Model Dragoon. These will be built around current Uberti models (to ease spares supply) as well as deal with the large loads that will be wanted for using the weapons.

We have to start looking beyond this phase as although I do not have (personally) any intention of making this any form of ‘business’ doubtless other people are going to want them.

So the question at the moment that I am considering is the presentation of the gun. My inclination at the moment is to put the standard ‘blued’ Uberti cylinders back into the white. This matches the original Walkers although the Dragoons had blued cylinders.

Bearing in mind that these weapons never existed in the Old Days – what are your opinions – leave them blue or return them to the white? What would appeal to you most?

This detail has to be seen in overall project context – so this is what is being worked towards:

A basic Uberti Walker or 3rd model Dragoon. The latter can be obtained cut for shoulder stock and we will cut the Walkers ourselves.

Any production models will be limited edition only and all parts will have unique matching serial numbers.

Modified Uberti shoulder stocks will be produced to take the broader frames of the Walker and the Draggie.

Custom 18” barrels will be made for each out of the best quality steel we are able to obtain. These will be extended versions of the originals so the barrels will be interchangeable (you can return the gun to original size if you wish and then back again).

Thought is being applied to some tasteful engraving (but not too flashy) to set off the weapons.

Talks are underway with Big Bad Gun of these forums for custom carved leather slings that will be unique (and serial numbered) to each LRE.

The whole lot (and accessories) will be in a presentation case including the original and custom barrels.

So what are your opinions? All input is most welcome.

There is no point asking how much these things will cost as we just do not know yet and are in the process of finding out. They will not be cheap that is for sure because we are not after some kind of ‘trashy gimmick’ but a high quality product.

Aye

Tony

Uh, do I understand this post correctly in that you are building Walkers and Dragoons from the ground up? Or are you talking about taking Uberti parts and building some kind of custom gun with those?

And are these guns intended to be superior in some way to the current Uberti offerings or even the 2nd and 3rd gen Colts?
Old May 16, 2009, 10:45 PM   #1590
NobleSniper

And just so a few folks don't shake their heads at me I was being sarcastic about removing the bluieng on my newest Walker. It will stay as is. Although I am gonna have to get another Walker to round things out....... and the blue will come off that cylinder. Is there any special way to take care of revolvers that have gold inlay other than the normal maintainence you do otherwise? Thanks
Old May 16, 2009, 10:46 PM   #1591
Pulp

Send all prototypes to me for testing and safe storage please.
It sounds intriguing, good luck to you.

World's Worst Cowboy Action Shooter
Graduate of Sawyer's School of Shooting
Old May 16, 2009, 10:59 PM   #1592
kiwiwalker

Hodgdon Triple 7 data

Hi all,

I am in the process of purchasing a Uberti Walker and I was planing to use triple 7 powder, any good starting loads or problems to look out for.

Can you add me to the club, thanks

Cheers from down under.

Last edited by kiwiwalker; May 16, 2009 at 11:39 PM.
Old May 16, 2009, 11:08 PM   #1593
bigbadgun

kiwi
If you are going to use T7 powder in your Walker remember this.
A standard load of black powder in a Walker is 50-60 grains. I personally use 50 grains by volume. So if you are going to use T7 reduce your load by 15%. And you should be fine.
"When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns".
Old May 16, 2009, 11:57 PM   #1594
AussieTH

Poor Devil,

1. We are starting off with fully factory built weapons such as anyone can buy - then breathing on them heavily.

2. I do not expect them to be particularly better than originals (other than metal strength) or later Gen Colts. But they should be a lot more accurate over a longer range.

3. Another area is that people buy the big colts and soon stop using them because of weight and size They were designed to be carried by a horse! Being able to turn them into a carbine will give people a lot more practical shooting use for their bucks.

T.
Old May 17, 2009, 12:54 AM   #1595
GENTLEMAN OF THE CHARCOAL
Member.

XXXX

Last edited by GENTLEMAN OF THE CHARCOAL; May 19, 2009 at 12:16 AM.
Old May 17, 2009, 01:47 AM   #1596
Oyeboten

For countering the weight of heavy Pistols, a dozen or so Helium Baloons, left over from any child's Birthday Party or Chucky-Cheeze Grand Opening...may be pressed into service.

The Baloons are gathered together on a few feet of light cord, and, a generous loop supports the barrel, nicely retaining the Loading Lever, and, allowing an unrestriced sight picture while aiming.

Serious cross-winds however, can contribute some regretable side drift tugs...
Old May 17, 2009, 10:48 AM   #1597
scrat

1 Scrat (Scott)
2 Gentleman of the Charcoal
3 Dixie Texian
4 Yankee John
5 Mykeal
6 Speckdds@bellsouth.net
7 Mukluk
8 BigBadGun
9 Mec
10Fineredmist
11HILDO
12Shanghai McCoy
13Tallship
14 A.WALKER
15 StrawHat
16 Mustanger1
17 Phantom Captain
18 Pulp
19 Snaggletooth
20 RugerBob
21 J.T.Gerrity
22 BDFT
23 Peter M Eick
24 JCT
25 Old Wornout Soldier
26 Brett Dixon
27. Razorback 1010
28. Rebel Dave
29. sundance44s
30. Oddman
31. Xterminator
32. TexasRifleman
33. Gopguy
34. Elbert P Suggins
35. Old Hunter
36. Blacksmoke
37. ApacheJack
38. K.A.T
39. Fedaircop
40. Hooey
41. .50cal
42. Afy
43. Shung
44. Kevc
45. PRM
46. Madcratebuilder
47. Clermont
48. Double Deuce 1
49. Iamsniper1
50. AdmiralB
51. icy
52. SMOKIN GUN
53. QUICKDRAW Mc.Graw
54. SE olka.shooter
55. Jack Steele
56. Steven Youngblood
57. The Wall
58. Shawn Grear
59. Messerist
60. AK 47Ghost
61. Molasses
62. TMC4232
63. .44 Walker
64 my123ju123
65 sltm1
66. SixShootinSam
67. NobleSniper
68 Gclefton
69. AZ_Rebel
70. dmjung
71. brotherlloyd
72. Walker944
73. Fingers McGee
74. Ginormous
75. Kiwiwalker
Old May 17, 2009, 12:19 PM   #1598
TMC4232

Noblesniper,

Very nice indeed! You have now given me a thought for my 2nd gen Colt Walker. One of my tenants at a shopping center we own is a custom jewelery maker from Russia (the guy is a spectacular old world craftsman) and I will ask him Monday what it would cost to do mine - and others for this forum if the price is right. The economy is a little slow to say the least and he may have some good prices.

I have already stripped the blue off of my Uberti cylinder which is the one I shoot and handle all of the time anyway, but the Colt is still new and unfired in the box and would rather see the gold on it. This should add value and uniqueness to my Colt.

I just purchased the following book which has some AWESOME DETAILED color photos of Colt's pistols as they were made, sold, and passed through families over the years, and those that were extensively engraved by Colt. The book also has beautiful photos of reproduction Colt's that have been engraved. Photos and the story of the original cased pair of Sam Walkers Colt Walker pistols, now in the Dr. Joseph A. Murphy Collection, are also displayed. This is a great book (310 color pages) for any Colt or Colt reproduction fan. I got my brand new copy at a second hand bookstore for $15.

"It's a dry heat" - Are you kidding? It's like living on the surface of the sun!!!
Old May 17, 2009, 12:56 PM   #1599
NobleSniper

Thanks for the compliment on my newest Walker. Its a looker for sure. Anxious to see its a shooter as well Am going to see if I can find a copy of that book. Looks like a good one.
Old May 17, 2009, 02:16 PM   #1600
mykeal

The Walker is not a barbeque gun.