Quantcast
The THR Walker Club - Page 81 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Blackpowder Shooting

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old August 14, 2009, 01:05 AM   #2001
DoubleDeuce 1

Regimental Insignia

SG, if that is the case, having our own regiment... maybe we need to devise a cool shoulder patch or something. Watch this end up on a gubbmint watch list...
Old August 14, 2009, 01:48 AM   #2002
higene

USMR

A well regulated militia being , BEING NECESSARY TO THE SECURITY OF A OF A FREE STATE, shall be scrutinized by hommie land security, maligned by the press and looked down upon by many.

Higene

Last edited by higene; August 14, 2009 at 02:25 AM.
Old August 14, 2009, 06:10 AM   #2003
messerist

As a member in good standing of the Walker Club I make a motion to change the name to the Walker Regiment!
Old August 14, 2009, 08:08 AM   #2004
Old Fuff

You Old West movie fans (and what Walker owner isn't?) who live in the Kansas City area might be interested to know that the NRA is putting on a display of famous guns that were use in some of the most classic movies. Among them is at least one of the Walker Colt's used by Clint Eastwood and also John Wayne.

Quote:
National Firearms Museum to Display Famous Guns at KC Waterfowl Classic

FAIRFAX, VIRGINIA - Jim Supica, Director of the NRA's National Firearms Museum, will display one of the Museum's most valuable collections at the Cabela's in Kansas City, Kansas, this weekend as part of the store's Waterfowl Classic.

The Museum's exhibit of famous firearms from Hollywood Westerns will be at the Kansas City Cabela's, 10300 Cabela Drive, on August 15 and 16. "This collection always draws a crowd, and we'll be on hand both Saturday and Sunday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.," Supica said.

Additionally, Supica will present "Tips for Gun Collectors & Researching Gun Values" at 3 p.m. both days.

Real guns from reel westerns in the display include:
• Winchester 1892 carbine used by John Wayne in Stagecoach;
• Winchester lever action used by Chuck Connors in The Rifleman television series, modified for quick firing each time the lever is closed;
• Walker revolvers used by Clint Eastwood in The Outlaw Josie Wales, and featured in True Grit with John Wayne;
• Flintlock rifle used by Charlton Heston in The Mountain Men;
• and the Sharps rifle used by Tom Selleck in Quincy Down Under.

For more information on the National Firearms Museum, visit the NFM web site at http://nra.nationalfirearms.museum.
Danielle Sturgis (703) 267-1595 or DSturgis@nrahq.org
Old August 14, 2009, 09:58 AM   #2005
Ratdog68

Quote:
Originally Posted by messerist View Post
As a member in good standing of the Walker Club I make a motion to change the name to the Walker Regiment!
As another member who hasn't been told he's NOT in good standing (yet) I second the motion !!
Old August 14, 2009, 10:23 AM   #2006
bigbadgun

Tells yall what ifn yall come up with an insignia and email the design to me Im sure we can come up wit sumfin.
"When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns".
Old August 14, 2009, 05:04 PM   #2007
Smokin_Gun

Quote:
SG, if that is the case, having our own regiment... maybe we need to devise a cool shoulder patch or something. Watch this end up on a gubbmint watch list...
Here's one suggestion for a Walker Regiment 1st Regimental Patch or Badge center pic...
SASS# 19634, FROCS #24, Admin BPR http://voy.com/60048/ ,
Admin SG's Old Coots Den&Privy http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php
Old August 14, 2009, 05:28 PM   #2008
husker

Thats going to be hard ta beat. ????? am i in or out? I really did send the check to JCT last night for the walker he had up for sale. IF im lion im dion.
Old August 14, 2009, 05:30 PM   #2009
husker

I cant wait to hold that big Bastard in my hands!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old August 14, 2009, 05:47 PM   #2010
NobleSniper

I remember saying that to myself............. I never get tired of my Walkers
Old August 14, 2009, 05:53 PM   #2011
bigbadgun

Badges we dont need no stinking badges

I like the idea of the skull but thats a bit much to put on a piece of leather for a shoulder patch.
Old August 14, 2009, 06:40 PM   #2012
Ratdog68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin_Gun View Post
Here's one suggestion for a Walker Regiment 1st Regimental Patch or Badge center pic...
I likes it !!!
Old August 14, 2009, 09:34 PM   #2013
DoubleDeuce 1

More whiskey! And fresh horses for my men!
Old August 14, 2009, 09:44 PM   #2014
messerist

What the patch needs is a pair of crossed Walkers below the skull!
Old August 14, 2009, 10:25 PM   #2015
bigbadgun

this patch is gonna be a back piece instead of a shoulder patch lol
Old August 14, 2009, 11:53 PM   #2016
husker

IT DOES= Some Hard IRON under the skull.
Old August 15, 2009, 01:34 PM   #2017
DoubleDeuce 1

This sort of reminds me of that old Marty Robbins song, "Big Iron". If you haven't heard it, it is definitely worth a listen. You can hear it on You Tube.
Old August 15, 2009, 03:03 PM   #2018
NobleSniper

Here you go BigBadGun.................. a little instrumental I like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkAMtXTEjco
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pantera--cowboys-from-hell.jpg (57.0 KB, 21 views)
Old August 15, 2009, 04:46 PM   #2019
madcratebuilder

Anyone looking for a low cost Walker?

http://www.voy.com/60048/64787.html
A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to “The United States of America” for an amount of “up to and including my life.”
Old August 16, 2009, 12:05 AM   #2020
higene

Walkin' the Dog

Took my walker to the range today. I am developing a love/hate relationship with this gun. I went with 40 gr Swiss fff and a .457 ball. the first cylinder was 8" high from POA and 8" wide. The second cylinder I used the same load with a 7 o'clock Kentucky windage hold. That netted 2 x rings and four out of the black.

For the next cylinder I went to 45 gr Swiss fff over powder wonder wad and a .457 ball. This cylinder put 4 shots in 1 1/4" and the last two side by side 4" lower (probably bad eyes). This got me pumped and I carefully assembled the last cylinder with the above load of 45 gr bp. With this load I re calibrated my KY windage and let fly. I got 4 in the black (5 1/2 ' 4 shot group, 2 10' and 2 8's, and 2 wild.

Of 24 shots all 24 stayed on a 2' X 2' target at 25 yards. Seven were in the black, 8 were in a 3 1/2" group 8 - 12 inches high from POA, and nine were in the white from border to border on a 2' target. All shots were slow and deliberate from a rest.

Two questions:

1. Can someone detail exact loading procedure and components of an accurate load that you use.

2. Has anyone ever slotted the barrel of a Walker for a drift adjustable front sight? (If you started long and filed down you could get elevation and it would be drift adjustable for windage).

Higene
Attached Images
File Type: jpg white Walker.JPG (177.6 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg Walker target 03.jpg (453.7 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by higene; August 16, 2009 at 12:23 AM. Reason: more better
Old August 16, 2009, 08:59 AM   #2021
Old Fuff

Quote:
2. Has anyone ever slotted the barrel of a Walker for a drift adjustable front sight? (If you started long and filed down you could get elevation and it would be drift adjustable for windage).

Not on a Walker, but several 1851 Navy Colt and Remington New Army replicas. I have observed where it was done on original Colts of all sizes, including several Dragoons. But not a Walker, because there aren't that many around.
Old August 16, 2009, 10:50 AM   #2022
madcratebuilder

Quote:
at 25 yards. Seven were in the black, 8 were in a 3 1/2" group 8 - 12 inches high from POA
That's looks about right. Your Walker has a 75 yard zero if it's like the originals.

If your serious about better target shooting here is a mod I have on a Dragoon. Sorry about the out of focus, batts died before I could try a second shot. The notch is cut in the original hammer location, .125 wide and .050 deep. The front sight is fabricated from brass and is .125 wide and .283 high. Started higher and was filed down. The original front was .150 tall. This gives a 25yd zero with a 40gr/rb load.

If your gun shoots left or right you can adjustment when making the cut in the hammer.

Another option is Kentucky windage.
A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to “The United States of America” for an amount of “up to and including my life.”
Old August 16, 2009, 11:47 AM   #2023
arcticap

Quote:
1. Can someone detail exact loading procedure and components of an accurate load that you use.
Lot of folks are using a .454 ball along with a wad.

1. http://www.thehighroad.org/showthrea...ad#post5489600

2. http://www.thehighroad.org/showthrea...ad#post4306375

3. http://www.thehighroad.org/showthrea...ad#post4241749

4. http://www.thehighroad.org/showthrea...ad#post4962413

5. http://www.thehighroad.org/showthrea...ad#post5100060

6. http://www.thehighroad.org/showthrea...ad#post4670197
Old August 16, 2009, 01:02 PM   #2024
higene

Loads

Thank you for posting that.
Old August 16, 2009, 04:24 PM   #2025
fedaircop

Hi all I haven't been around much lately and haven't been out to shoot my Walker for about six months. But I hope to be around more now. I do like the idea of a patch and would definately like to see the Walker as a prominent feature on the patch. bigbadgun probably is the resident expert on how much detail we can expect on a leather patch and I'd definately defer to him. (by the way he makes a really awesome holster)

higene - as I said I haven't fired my walker in about six months but I use 55 gr of fff and a 454 ball. My walker shoots dead on in windage and about six inches high at 25 yards and is extremely consistant you could drive nails with it. Mine is an Uberti and I do love to shoot it. I would use use 60 grs but can't squeeze it in with a lubed patch. I love the noise and smoke 55 grs of black powder produces.