Quantcast
The THR Walker Club - Page 84 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Blackpowder Shooting

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old August 23, 2009, 12:45 PM   #2076
CAMPBELL49T

Oboy she said I could get one new Walker. She said I'm getting old and will need one soon to walk,
Old August 23, 2009, 12:47 PM   #2077
Das Jaeger

Well then

congratulations !

I think i would probably keep her then

Jaeger
Old August 23, 2009, 12:49 PM   #2078
CAMPBELL49T

Sex is the number between 5 and 7....... At least that what she told me. She sitting right here watching me. She left I'll get one. She don't know it but I have order one from the locale BP dealer.
Old August 23, 2009, 12:51 PM   #2079
Ratdog68

Hmmmm... ask for permission, or forgiveness....

Old Chinese saying go... she who push man out to doghouse... soon find him in cathouse.
Old August 23, 2009, 12:53 PM   #2080
CAMPBELL49T

Hey Das, You missed the point. she was talking about a four legged walker so I
can get around. I can still hang a couple of Walkers on it.
Old August 23, 2009, 12:53 PM   #2081
Das Jaeger

Yeh dammit

with two Walkers and roll of cat toilet paper .

Jaeger
Old August 23, 2009, 12:55 PM   #2082
Das Jaeger

Campell

hell , I miss most everything , I aint too bright , but at least your gettina new gun, oh happy days !

Jaeger

Walker= real men crutches , you need two
Old August 23, 2009, 12:56 PM   #2083
CAMPBELL49T

Ratdog, I like that Chinese saying. Can I take my 2nd model dragoon and shoot up the place?
Old August 23, 2009, 01:08 PM   #2084
Ratdog68

That's easy... get the Walker and MAKE a friggin' walker from 2x2 chunks.
Old August 23, 2009, 02:10 PM   #2085
Ratdog68

Seein' it's such a nice day out... and I busted butt doin' stuffs 'round the house all day yesterday... me thinks I'll toddle out to the range and pop the cherry on my Walker. And, since it's BOTH "blue" and "gray" it's well balanced as is.
Old August 23, 2009, 02:39 PM   #2086
Das Jaeger

That sounds good

Thankee
Take your Hoppti withya too .
Raise the dead with some lead

Jaeger
Old August 23, 2009, 05:15 PM   #2087
CAMPBELL49T

You guys have to much fun. I'm hopping i can join you one day. I love shooting BP better then my modern guns. Just like the rest on this forum. The thing is there is to much out there.........and I want them all!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old August 23, 2009, 06:25 PM   #2088
Ratdog68

Otay... time to get out the blue tape and the mini-files. I put two cylinders worth through her and needed to pull the cylinder off, brush it and schmooie some bore butter on things to keep it runnin' smooth. Half way through the third cylinder's worth... no workie. Hmmm... now, I double checked that the wedge was seated, but, it managed to work its way loose. End result... the frame's spindle has a burr on it and won't allow the barrel assembly to slide off the spindle so that I can pull the cylinder. Put it all back together and finished that cylinder's charge, put one more through and decided to pack it up and come home to work on fixin' it.

So... time to tape off the barrel assembly so I don't damage the finish as I give the burr a couple of light licks and see if it frees up. I'm beginning to wonder if the need to chamfer all the edges a tad is in order. Oh well... gotta get it apart so it can get a good cleaning.

With 40grs. of 777 fffg, a fiber wad between powder/ball... it was surprisingly "light" in the recoil department... really light. Aiming at the "6" ring at the 6:00 position netted a grouping at the 2:00 area between the "2" and "6" ring area for the last dozen rounds... nine of them were in the black between the 12:00 and 4:00 (in the 7-9 rings)... and three fliers (one in the black). All 24 rounds on the paper for the first time this gun is shot... confirmed the Walker's tendancy to kick the loading lever loose on a rather frequent basis... and, it draws a bit of a crowd too.

The downside to the crowd is... when the barrel assembly wouldn't come off the frame spindle... some clown decided to look over my shoulder and to repeatedly insist that I pull the hammer back to half-cock to allow the cylinder to spin. As if THAT will fix the burr on the spindle. Makes ya wanna slap some folks when they assume they know what your problem is and wanna give ya all this wonderful/free advice. Geez... then he wanted to assure me he'd worked on 'em for a living at one time.

Otay... time to get after it and make the problem go away so I can clean this puppy up.
Old August 23, 2009, 06:41 PM   #2089
Das Jaeger

Glad ya got out

anyways .

Deburr , of course they need some of that once in awhile , no biggy . Heck Ratdoggy , your not shooting this gun for Mason anyways , of course its not going to be perfect right out of the box like all guns should be in the Universe and have to be . Maybe that was Mason standing over your shoulder Sounds like him . Did he have a Silver Spoon in his mouth ?

Cool man cool . Update us when you get her runnin and de-Masoned

Jeager , mmmm , Walkers , serious fun huh !
Old August 23, 2009, 06:56 PM   #2090
Ratdog68

Got the burr free'd up enough to get the barrel assembly off... time to start cleaning... then I'll give a closer eyeball once things are clean.

LOL I'll bet it was our buddy cluckin' over my shoulder. At least one feller there (a fellow BP shooter) offered up a free picking inside with a TINY screwdriver to see if the burr was easily removed. Of course... had to suggest that if I was going to have ONE BP revolver... I needed a Rogers and Spencer. Yeah... thank you very much... plan to have one of them too at some point... for now, I'm playin' with what I chose to get first.

Someone saw that I was there shooting BP and laid out a DP .36 (with single trigger) in the box, complete with VHS, unopened manual. This thing was gorgeous and looked unfired. Had a sign on it that it was new for $1,350 and was for sale for $650. A couple of others (father/son) came and oogled the Walker... they had 1858 Remmies at home, but were shooting modern.
Old August 23, 2009, 07:03 PM   #2091
Das Jaeger

Opinions

everyone has one , unfortuntely most come from mouthy A-Holes like me , hee hee hee . Although mines always right , unlike others .
Scrap the wads , loose grease over my balls keeps my guns runnin , try it you'll like it. It's way messy too
Did ya pick up some Ballistrol to clean that puppy yet ?
Albeit the Rogers is nice and all , but tellin someone that don't ask what they ought to get is BS .

Cheers Bro , now getta scrubbin .

Jaeger
Old August 23, 2009, 07:21 PM   #2092
Ratdog68

Yeah... I coulda done without the editorial remarks on brand favorites.

I'll give the other a try, but I wanted to see how the wads work... heck... got a bag of 1,000 of 'em for about $5 last fall.

No Ballistol yet, gonna have to clean this one the old fashioned way today.

Yup... time to get to scrubbin'.
Old August 23, 2009, 08:30 PM   #2093
Das Jaeger

Ballistrol is the old

fashion way , been around nearly as long as the guns BTW

Hey , gonna post some pics later of the new display case , and a gun did in the Grey from Uberti too so you don't feel so bad ( stupid ) .......

Cheerios my friend . Jaeger
Old August 23, 2009, 11:16 PM   #2094
Ratdog68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das Jaeger View Post
fashion way , been around nearly as long as the guns BTW

Hey , gonna post some pics later of the new display case , and a gun did in the Grey from Uberti too so you don't feel so bad ( stupid ) .......

Cheerios my friend . Jaeger
I'll have to give the Ballistol an eyeball and see what it's all about.

Saw the case and the 1851... both lookin' sharp.

Glad I did a complete strip down and cleaning on the Walker... found a shard of cap down inside the works. It's not in there now ! Never had one apart, didn't know that main spring was set up like that. LOL Took a couple of tries to figure it out, but I got it back together just fine and I KNOW it's nice and clean in there. You'd think they'd include the "how to tear it down" destructions for a gun. It's kinda nice to have your brain wired towards things mechanical in nature I guess.
Old August 23, 2009, 11:22 PM   #2095
Das Jaeger

V-Springs

can be a bit tricky till you done um once , hee hee hee . Especaily without the proper vise which you don't have .
Now do you see how hard it is to fit a two piece grip screw between that Spring on a Walker and actualy have the grips work , good lord
I am glad to see your just diving into these guns, its realy a good way to learn them , hands on .

What , No pictures ! ?

Thanks, Jaeger
Old August 23, 2009, 11:50 PM   #2096
Ratdog68

They make a vice to install 'em with ?!?!?! Sheesh !! NOW ya tells me !! Oh well... I found that setting the spring to the grip frame... then starting the two "rear" trigger guard screws and then compressing the V-spring by hand onto the hammer and then carefully winding the trigger guard screws in enough to get the front one started... and making sure it all stays lined up before seating.... it worked just fine.

No pix of the tear down adventure... and too dark now to get pix... but, I kept the target so I can do up a pic with the gun. The first cylinder load was pretty irratic on the paper... but the subsequent three loads seemed to settle in to a grouping. I need to get my glasses Rx updated and inquire about some Rx shooting glasses. The sights were a blurr... but, considering WHAT these sights consist of... I was pleased with how well it put 'em on the paper on it's maiden voyage to the range.

I'd forgotten to clean the gun oil before heading out... a friend of mine wanted to borrow a few hunting knives to use in a leather class (building sheaths with inlays), so I was a little rushed to get out the door. Glad I'd brought along the bore butter and cleaning stuff when it started to gum up. Next time I'll do a little better in that department... got lots of synthetic grease with moly for the spindle. I think I want to shoot 'em in a lot more before puting that on the internals though.
Old August 24, 2009, 12:00 AM   #2097
Das Jaeger

Good choice on the Moly

and not hitting the parts with it till you shoot the parts in and they get some wear , or you pollish the piss out of the steel first , then moly .

Not suprised your first shots were everywhere , nobody I know shoots a Walker without apprehension the first time , till the next cylinder full . Even with 50 or 60 grains , it aint that bad . Its heavy man , it is very nice kicking actaully .
With a Horse under you and a 60 grain charge on the battel field they were darn welcoming the weight I am sure .

Did ya remember to shoot six caps before loading that Hog Leg to get rid of that oil
Always bring your nipple wrench to the range, always .

Jaeger
Old August 24, 2009, 12:15 AM   #2098
Ratdog68

I'm pretty well used to shooting the Super Black Hawk with rather heavy loads... so I wasn't too concerned with the recoil of the Walker lighting off. Especially after the first round going off and I was thinking to myself... is THAT ALL ?!?! I figured 40gr of 777 fffg would have a little more punch to it than that !! LOL Pretty mellow shooting gun for such a beast. I liked it... and the remarks from nearby types... "Geez that thing belches a LOT of smoke !!"

Nope... just poured the powder to her and let 'er rip... and it did just fine (normally I do set off a load of caps only first). And... yep... had the nipple wrench with me, as well as my screwdrivers and mallet, and cleaning kit.
Old August 24, 2009, 12:40 AM   #2099
Das Jaeger

Ha ha ha

yes , it is pretty tame mostly Ratdog68 , the 1860's and the Remington 58's packed with 777 do a good number for recoil compaird to the Walker .
There isa nice Mod to teh lever catch springy thing on the Walker you should try if you want to eliminate that dropping .
There is a very detailed explanation on CASS Forum about it , go check it out sometime .

Jaeger
Old August 24, 2009, 01:25 AM   #2100
Ratdog68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das Jaeger View Post
yes , it is pretty tame mostly Ratdog68 , the 1860's and the Remington 58's packed with 777 do a good number for recoil compaird to the Walker .
There isa nice Mod to teh lever catch springy thing on the Walker you should try if you want to eliminate that dropping .
There is a very detailed explanation on CASS Forum about it , go check it out sometime .

Jaeger
Lookin' forward to gettin' the 1858 out there for some plinkin' time... they're just such a joy to have in hand.

I dunno if the loading lever falling is something that bothers me. It's kinda part of shootin' a Walker I guess. Once I get this thing (and me) dialed in... it's gonna be a ton of fun to play with.