Quantcast
The THR Walker Club - Page 85 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Blackpowder Shooting

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old August 24, 2009, 10:12 AM   #2101
Ratdog68

Yup... a feller like that is getting harder and harder to find nowadays. A feller could probably glean a LOT of technique that would simply roll off his bench... let alone the lessons he'd be willin' to share.

Yesterday's "helper" was friendly enough... so, I can't fault him in his attitude... just didn't have a clue as to what the problem was, nor how to be helpful. The funny part is... the one who DID attempt to offer up some useful help was givin' him an edjumication on what the problem was (later). A few minutes later... he couldn't help but to come over and decide to offer me some amended "how to" advice on fixin' it. I almost patted him on his head... but, I behaved myself. Overall, the gang there have been pleasant.

Sometime later works good for me... I'm in the "wrap it up" phase of a job... I've got the painters in, when they're done we'll be bringing the electricians back in to trim out, the plumbers to trim out and I'll have 2200 sq ft of bamboo flooring to put in... and 1100 sq ft. of some other floating floor product. This thing's been the remodel from hell. It should've been pushed in the hole and redone from the ground up. Instead, we picked it up off the ground and did a new foundation, put it back down and then gutted it to the studs and found framing nightmares everywhere.... as well as a 3-story/900 sq ft addition... and all new roof trusses... and, and, and... it's turnin' out pretty nice, but, it's been a LONG three years comin'.
Old August 24, 2009, 10:19 AM   #2102
Das Jaeger

Sounds like

its been a good job for ya , except for the obvious headaches of a remodel . Hmmm , we may be clones , not related at all , just clones . Me being the prettier looking clone of course Yup , Carpenters life , I should have been a Librarian !
Sounds good on the Range thing , the later the better for me too this Fall . Shouldn't be a problem fittin in a weekend sometime though , for sure , will be a grand time . I have real Chef experience, we'll go grab us some Elk Rib Eyes from my Butcher and do her up good and right ! Do you have an insignificant Other ? Your more than wlecome to bring them too .

Alrighty then, off to work soon , meetings , paperwok , PC , busy day . I hope to find the time to take the Walkers out and give um the Grey , have decided to go ahead and pretty um up .

Cheerios , Jaeger

Last edited by Das Jaeger; August 24, 2009 at 10:41 AM.
Old August 25, 2009, 04:35 AM   #2103
zoned10x

Ratdog68 said:
> Yesterday's "helper" was friendly enough... so, I can't
> fault him in his attitude... just didn't have a clue....

Yesterday's "helper" has owned a lot of blackpowder guns over the years and knows a bit more than you think. We had the burred shaft figured out, it's happened before when someone has been a bit too aggressive seating the wedge. Without knowing your experience level, the concern was to prevent you from blowing off your fingers and screwing up an otherwise good day. We don't do gunsmith work on the line, there is too much liability, and your gun is your responsibility. All of the comments were valid, as you will see with more time in grade.

The pistol for sale is the Pedersoli "Mang in Graz" http://tinyurl.com/lxf2bz . I've got arthritis in my spine and cannot hold heavy BP handguns anymore.

We're out at Kenmore every Sunday and happy to help BP shooters. The club also offers classes on blackpowder shooting.
Old August 25, 2009, 08:20 AM   #2104
Ginormous

Quote:
Yesterday's "helper" has owned a lot of blackpowder guns over the years and knows a bit more than you think.
Small world, huh?
Old August 25, 2009, 09:19 AM   #2105
Das Jaeger

Me thinks

"Yesterdays Helper" thinks he knows more than he does , me thinks is what it is instead . Sounds to me like Junior ( Ratdoggy68 ) had it figured out already without you fine teachers . ..........Just sayin
Well since the Mang weighs only a light 2.5 pounds , I am guessin even an 1851 would be out of the question as sometin to shoot too since it weighs 2.9 pounds ? Not certain but I am thinking the only thing left to shoot would be a pocket pistol ? Or the Saloon or Zimmer , there pretty light .
I have seen very few people with natural mechanical ability or figure-out-ability like Ratboys got , he's a darn bit smarter than your givin the man credit for .
Just because someone ownes a Mang , don't mean sqwuat . So what , you owne a Mang , doesn't mean nothin as far as being able to work on one , or a Walker . Over beating the wedge wasn't the issue ever anyway with Ratboys gun , he's been schooled for months on that prior to ever getting into Colts .
It would take a massive amount of pounding for that to happen anyways , like what is going on with Clemberts fine replica . Just sayin

Jaeger
Old August 25, 2009, 12:14 PM   #2106
Ratdog68

zoned10x

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoned10x View Post
Ratdog68 said:
> Yesterday's "helper" was friendly enough... so, I can't
> fault him in his attitude... just didn't have a clue....

Yesterday's "helper" has owned a lot of blackpowder guns over the years and knows a bit more than you think. We had the burred shaft figured out, it's happened before when someone has been a bit too aggressive seating the wedge. Without knowing your experience level, the concern was to prevent you from blowing off your fingers and screwing up an otherwise good day. We don't do gunsmith work on the line, there is too much liability, and your gun is your responsibility. All of the comments were valid, as you will see with more time in grade.

The pistol for sale is the Pedersoli "Mang in Graz" http://tinyurl.com/lxf2bz . I've got arthritis in my spine and cannot hold heavy BP handguns anymore.

We're out at Kenmore every Sunday and happy to help BP shooters. The club also offers classes on blackpowder shooting.
First off... if you're "Chris", my "helper" comment does not apply to you. The "helper" I spoke of did not have the courtesy to ask me:

What is the problem?
Have you secured the gun? (3 charged chambers, caps removed)
Has the problem been identified?
May I help?

The "helper" I spoke of came and looked over my shoulder and started in with "pull the hammer to half-cock and free up the cylinder so it can spin". When I assured him that wasn't part of the problem and that I had a burr keeping the barrel assembly from being removed... all I heard in reply was continued coaching to "pull the hammer to half-cock and free up the cylinder so it can spin". After the third time of hearing it... I wasted the time needed to do as he asked... to satisify him. Hounding me to do something that is completely unrelated to the problem at hand when I'm already trying to do a quick fix to free up the line... well... that caused me to form the opinion that said "helper" didn't have a clue.

As I stated in my post... the problem was NOT caused by driving the wedge in too tight. Being the gun was having its first rounds put through it... I was shaking the gun out. The wedge didn't want to seat/free up with finger tip pressure only... so, I brought my plastic faced mallet along to tap it in, and to tap it out as I pushed on the release clip. The CAUSE of the problem was that the wedge had come loose while halfway through the second cylinder load. Yes, I had double checked it, and have an understanding of the need for the wedge to be seated when the little lip pops up and catches on the face of the barrel assembly framework. Well... it managed to come loose and the wedge pulled back just enough to allow the barrel assembly to smack the wedge against the spindle and cause the burr.

Chris, on the other hand, was quite helpful. He actually allowed me to advise what the actual problem was... offered up some help, even told me that he too was a black powder owner/shooter... and, brought over a Q-tip and swabbed inside to confirm the location of the burr, and was kind enough to bring over a smaller screwdriver than what I had with me to see if the burr could be popped loose with its tip (yes, the wrong tool for the job... and I appreciated the gesture to help in that regard... GOOD gunsmithing screwdrivers are not "cheap". I'm aware of that, because I had my Brownell kit along with me... to the tune of $100 for the set). We were in agreement that the next step was to tape off the surrounding area and to get in there with a jeweler's file to free up the burr. I was very thankful for his help, and especially his courtesy extended by actually pausing to listen to me to see if I had a clue.

Confirming exactly what was going on... I was content to continue shooting the gun (keeping an eye on the wedge) and put another cylinder and a half through it (trouble free). Because I DID make the mistake of forgetting to clean the petroleum based gun oil from the gun before taking it out (which I've already owned up to)... it was gumming up and was going to need additional cleaning before being ready to operate smoothly... I cut my day short and came home to address the burr and get after cleaning it.

After the identification of the problem was confirmed and the initial attempt to clear it with Chris' help and his tiny screwdriver... I was aware of some conversation going on between Chris and "helper". I gathered from what I was hearing that "helper" was learning from Chris what the problem was and what needed to be done to correct the problem. "Helper" then came over and offered up to me how to wind the spindle (for the cylinder) off the frame to remove the cylinder from the back side. Again... thank you for the input... but it still has NOTHING to do with the problem at hand. Getting the barrel frame assembly off the spindle's nose was the problem at hand. "Helper's" input still didn't contribute to the problem at hand.

Granted, I'm at the range with a brand new revolver, the first one of this type I've owned. I'm getting to know my new gun. As such, I was taking my time to double check myself as I went along. I wasn't in a hurry (except when I was trying to clear the gun for the cease fire on the line... people were waiting on me... I was quite aware of that).

As for safety... by habit, I was keeping the flask of powder stowed atop my range box (on the ground, below the shooting bench), as were the caps... only bringing them up to use/load the cylinder. I was loading the cylinder over a scrap of paper so the few grains which spilled could be captured and funneled back into the flask (no loose powder left on the bench). I was also using fiber wads between the powder/ball to protect from chain fires. I was also well aware of the fact that I had three loaded chambers in the cylinder when the problem arose. I had also pulled/secured the live caps from the cylinder when I'd become aware there was a problem. Those caps were not put back on until after the wedge was seated in place and I'd decided to resume shooting this new gun. I was pausing between shots to take a look at the gun to see whether things were changing... I missed the wedge working loose (I'm human). If preventing me "from blowing my fingers off and ruining an otherwise good day" was "helper's" agenda... why wasn't the first question: "is the gun secure? Hi, my name is.... I'm familiar with these (and have used them), can I help? What seems to be the problem?" "Helper" and I don't know each other from Adam... I fully understand that "helper" has no idea that I have a fair idea of firearm usage, or that I've had dual certifications as a firearms safety instructor, was the department's designated firearms training officer when I was a cop. All he knows is that some strange face shows up and doesn't appear capable of taking the barrel off his black powder revolver. On the flip side... some strange face is nagging over my shoulder to half-cock the hammer to free up the ability of the cylinder to spin (when the problem at hand has NOTHING to do with that end of the gun).

And... BTW... the DP that was displayed for sale is a gorgeous piece indeed. It's a shame to have to part with... I've had at least three compression fractures to my back and understand the whole back pain issue... my sympathies on that.

Suggestion... for future reference... please consider introducing yourself and offering up some qualifying information to assure the person you've approached that you might have some useful help to offer and be willing to listen (excellent opportunity to qualify the person's understanding of the situation). Had that been done, I may've ended up with a differing opinion of "helper". I introduced myself to Chris, and asked him for his name since he was at least willing to listen to what I was trying to work through.

Liability... I'm not completely ignorant of that being an issue when guns are involved... part of why I was striving to remove the barrel/cylinder from the frame during the cease fire (even though I'd already pulled the caps) is that three cylinders were charged with powder/ball. When it became enough of an issue (time delay) for the range master to come over... he ok'd the gun to remain "as is" during the cease fire. That's all I needed to cease my efforts (temporarily). The hammer was on an empty chamber and caps were removed from the live ones. I did my best to clear the weapon as best I could and ceased my efforts when the range master was satisified the gun was secured to his liking.

As for the classes... I'm quite teachable and just may "bite" on the classes offered, am even considering joining (I'm already an NRA lifer).
Old August 26, 2009, 02:38 PM   #2107
Two Gun Pete

Hey I want to Join Up! I got's me a Walker in the mail yesterday and I needs to be around others that has The Big Iron, pops caps and belches smoke. I'm Two Gun Pete from The West Of Colorado. I've have been known to throw enough lead out that somethin will run into it.
Old August 26, 2009, 02:48 PM   #2108
Two Gun Pete

Talking Uberti Walker 1990

Heres a pic of the Walker I picked up for $220.00 US

Pete
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 014.JPG (886.8 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg 013.JPG (866.8 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 011.JPG (654.1 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by Two Gun Pete; August 26, 2009 at 03:19 PM. Reason: add pic
Old August 26, 2009, 03:36 PM   #2109
theotherwaldo

Nice! A lot like mine, but in the older style with the skinny loading lever. Less likely to drop with the heavier loads, I figger.
Old August 26, 2009, 09:36 PM   #2110
Das Jaeger

Welcome Two Gun Pete

Your in the right place , welcome !

Jeager
Old August 26, 2009, 10:46 PM   #2111
Ratdog68

Welcome Two Gun Pete !! The CCH on the left side of your Walker almost looks like "flames" Congrats !!
Old August 27, 2009, 02:26 AM   #2112
Smokin_Gun

Congrads on the Uberti Walker at a great price...
SASS# 19634, FROCS #24, Admin BPR http://voy.com/60048/ ,
Admin SG's Old Coots Den&Privy http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php
Old August 27, 2009, 05:40 AM   #2113
messerist

There wasn't a posse after you when you "stole" that Walker was there? Just kidding. Great buy and welcome to the Regiment of the Dammed!
Old August 27, 2009, 06:42 AM   #2114
Two Gun Pete

Now hold on Wish Bone, He didnt say the beans was bad, Just a little dark and chewy thats all.
Ya the posse is looking for sure. Its still got factory oil on the arbor and I cant tell if there has ever been any powder in the cylinders. I think she a Virgian OH BOY!... I would stay and gab but The work bell is ringin and I got to run.

Pete...
Old August 27, 2009, 09:18 AM   #2115
madcratebuilder

Damn nice Uberti you stole two gun. Welcome to the club.
A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to “The United States of America” for an amount of “up to and including my life.”
Old August 27, 2009, 11:13 PM   #2116
Two Gun Pete

I am torn between Popping Her First Cap, Or Just Holden and Rubbin and Lovin Her Up. Shes 19 years old and never been Stuffed with Powder Or Ball. Just a purdy thang, I just sit and look and sigh and say I caint belive shes mine. I know im not alone on this issue. I know I need to clean up the old oil thats on it and get it ready for the first time around. Ya'll got some first time tricks I might use to make it slick and smooth? I had a 1860 Army a long time ago that was a Navy Arms piece. It stretched the arbor before I had 50 rounds through it and I wasnt packing it hot. I dont want that to happen to the Walker. Is the metal better now then the ones from Navy Arms made in the early 80's. Feed me some info on Breaking in the Walker so it will last a long time.
Old August 27, 2009, 11:23 PM   #2117
Das Jaeger

Don't worry

about it being her first time , because it aint , it got proofed in Italy , its been fired .
Don't pound 60 grains in her constantly and should last nearly forever .
Treat her as good as you love her , that's all she asks of you .

Jaeger
Old August 27, 2009, 11:41 PM   #2118
Ratdog68

LOL Just remember to clean all the petroleum based oil and lubing with veggie based stuff before going to the range. I got rushed last weekend and neglected to do that. It started gummin' up pretty quickly. Even when I scrubbed it down with a brush and swabbed it with bore butter between loads. C'est la vie.

I loaded mine with 40 gr of 777 fffg per chamber and it was just as smooth as can be and very mild in the recoil dept. I'm with you... I think my Walker's a keeper.
Old August 28, 2009, 10:09 AM   #2119
madcratebuilder

Uberti makes a pretty solid revolver, you should not have an arbor problem. Colt specification is 35 to 40grs with 37 recommended of FFFg. That Uberti should take #11 caps and .457 rb.
If your going to shot a sub powder I would start at 30grs and work up. Keep in mind that triple 7 is 15% hotter than BP.

Hodgdon's disclaimer.

"Triple Seven is a high energy product designed to provide the muzzleloading hunter with higher velocities when used in the same VOLUME as blackpowder. To duplicate a blackpowder load velocity using Triple Seven, you must decrease the powder charge by 15%."
A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to “The United States of America” for an amount of “up to and including my life.”
Old August 28, 2009, 10:16 PM   #2120
Two Gun Pete

Arrow Casting Balls

I thank you all for your enthusiasm on the Walker. It is suprising to me to find one that hasnt been touched in nearly 20 years. I spent sometime today casting 454 size balls. I picked up an old Ideal mould on Cheaper Than Dirt Last week and put it to use today. Worked great I cant hardly wait to get to the range and see what the Big Iron will do. I still have to degrease it and rub some bore butter on the parts but that is not work thats just a rub down that feels good. Im looking for a holster for it now and finding some nice rigs here and there. I found this site ya'll might like to visit. Does some fine leather work, he's a Veteran and a Saddle Maker and hes friendly to talk to. http://rockingksaddlery.com/links.htm
I hope to get out this weekend and touch off some powder but I work both days, but I do get off early in the afternoons so maybe I'll have some good things to share before the end of the weekend.
Old August 29, 2009, 07:28 AM   #2121
bigbadgun

I got off work early yesterday so the wifey and I ran down to the range. I finally talked her into popping off a few in my old Walker. Keep in mind my wife is 5 feet even and weighs about as much as the Walker. So I loaded it up like I always do 50 grains of pyrodex p topped off with a wad and .454 ball and handed it to her. She had this stupid grin on her face that was worth a million bucks. She in short time emptied the Walker turned around and said I want to do it again. Might need to get her started with her own collection.
"When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns".
Old August 29, 2009, 07:40 AM   #2122
madcratebuilder

Quote:
I thank you all for your enthusiasm on the Walker.
I don't know why I thought you bought a Dragoon, a mind is a terrible thing to waste. Different load data.
35 to 55 grs with 50gr recommended for the Colt Walker, same ball and caps, 457 and11's.

Quote:
She in short time emptied the Walker turned around and said I want to do it again. Might need to get her started with her own collection.
Watch out Bob, she may claim that 1860!
Old August 29, 2009, 07:48 AM   #2123
bigbadgun

Madcrate ifn she does thar is gonna be a showdown at noon back behind the corral.
lol
"When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns".
Old August 29, 2009, 07:55 AM   #2124
Old Fuff

You folks need a rule prohibiting the carry of two Walker revolvers at the same time. What if a member was doing this and fell off the bridge while crossing a river...?
Old August 29, 2009, 08:08 AM   #2125
messerist

We would hafta drag that dang river to get those two Walkers back!!