Quantcast
The THR Walker Club - Page 9 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Blackpowder Shooting

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old March 1, 2008, 07:45 PM   #201
GENTLEMAN OF THE CHARCOAL
Member.

////

Last edited by GENTLEMAN OF THE CHARCOAL; March 4, 2008 at 04:18 PM.
Old March 1, 2008, 08:30 PM   #202
JCT

It was a fun project. Uberti does well, but they still need some polishing and internal deburring. Those screws are too soft, it seem like I can't take a gun apart or put it back together without marring up at least one screw! I'll have to order spares I guess.
I did notice one thing today that I thought was interesting, Brownells Oxphoblue enhances the case colors. It fills in those areas of plain grey metal and it seems to richen up the colors a little bit. Nice little trick to know anyway.
Old March 1, 2008, 08:57 PM   #203
JCT

This is related to Walker's anyway: I just picked up a used Walker Flask with no instruction. I basically have it figured out, but I'm not impressed with the spout system. Do you guys use it, or replace it with a more typical spring spout? I like how this one holds 7 extra balls, but I think I'll be changing the spout, it doesn't seem reliable or consistent.
Old March 1, 2008, 09:09 PM   #204
Member.

////

Last edited by GENTLEMAN OF THE CHARCOAL; March 4, 2008 at 04:17 PM.
Old March 1, 2008, 09:30 PM   #205
Member.

////

Last edited by GENTLEMAN OF THE CHARCOAL; March 4, 2008 at 04:19 PM.
Old March 1, 2008, 09:37 PM   #206
scrat

Wow JCT that looks fantastic. Ok im posting up some pics of my WALKER as well as my DE BLUED 1851. I just finished.

Old March 1, 2008, 10:19 PM   #207
Member.

////

Last edited by GENTLEMAN OF THE CHARCOAL; March 2, 2008 at 07:34 AM.
Old March 1, 2008, 10:25 PM   #208
JCT

Nice flasks! I'll give the Walker flask a try tomorrow, I do have some spouts around here somewhere, I use 40 grains for the Dragoon, so that'd even be ok on the Walker.
Old March 1, 2008, 10:29 PM   #209
scrat

Jct once you try 50 grains you will be loving life. The most i have been able to put was 55 grains. I have no idea how you can get 60 grains of black in a WALKER then seat a bullet. it just doesnt work with mine.
Old March 1, 2008, 10:46 PM   #210
JCT

60 grains of my homemade powder scares me. I'm starting at 40 tomorrow. 40 of mine equals roughly 50 of GOEX, but 40 of mine takes up more space too since it's not as dense. So, 60 of mine, if it fits, will probably break nearby windows, or cause an avalanche with all this snow
Old March 1, 2008, 10:50 PM   #211
scrat

hahahahahahaha

id love to be there with you. Since yours is new of course you can have the first shots at the range. Just to let people know what your shooting. Then we would load them up together and fire them at the same time.

heheheheheh

boy that would be fun
Old March 1, 2008, 10:56 PM   #212
Member.

Jct, After You Shoot It Let Everybody On Here Know If The Lever Fell, And What The Powder Load Was When It Fell, And Maybe How Many Times You Shot It With That Particular Load Before The Lever Fell, If You Would Please....

Last edited by GENTLEMAN OF THE CHARCOAL; March 2, 2008 at 07:35 AM.
Old March 2, 2008, 01:42 PM   #213
JCT

Well, I loaded it up. Works out well with my powder, I can just fill the cylinder and compress a ball into it. That gives me exactly 50 grains weight, which is probably equal to a 60 grain charge of GOEX. I'm off to shoot it for awhile and try powder loads from 40 to 50.
Do you all use .457 balls? That's all I have right now and they work fine in the Dragoon and loaded fine in the Walker, but I'm due for a new mold this spring and I wonder if I should get .454 or .457. When I use anything but pure lead, these .457's are hard to load. With soft lead though, it's easy.
Old March 2, 2008, 02:18 PM   #214
Shawnee

Hi JCT...

We'll be looking for pics of the targets.

Old March 2, 2008, 02:30 PM   #215
mec

The chambers are 450-451 and .454 balls are ideal. 457s work fine and usually get a small velocity increase.
Old March 2, 2008, 02:31 PM   #216
Member.

////

Last edited by GENTLEMAN OF THE CHARCOAL; March 4, 2008 at 04:20 PM.
Old March 2, 2008, 02:55 PM   #217
JCT

I got about 3 cylinders in today, shooting 15 yards at clay pigeons in the snow here. Shoots higher than the Dragoon, but burying the front sight in the notch improved accuracy, I'll have to get more time in to get better with this one.
I'm going to have to change the nipples on this Walker. My #10 Rem caps fall right off of these! They fit fine on the Dragoon, I'm going to see if Dragoon nipples fit the Walker and I'll swap them out.
The loading lever drops slightly with a full load, but I'm sure as it keep doing that, it'll drop all the way until I can file the catch to help it stay up.
I may get a mold for .454 some of the balls in the last batch I made have some recycled buckshot ( lead/antimony ) and there very difficult to load. .454's probably work better in both my Walker and Dragoon.
Thanks for the help, when I can, I'll do some targets and see what I can do for groups with the Walker. I know it'll be accurate, a friend of mine has a Walker and is dead on with it, but it took him a few months of tweaking and practice to do it.
Old March 4, 2008, 08:51 PM   #218
scrat

good information let us know what happens with the nipple change for sure
Old March 6, 2008, 01:12 AM   #219
JCT

Here's yet another picture, Walker, 3rd model Dragoon and my new 1849 pocket .31 I just got today from track of the wolf. It was dirty and tarnished, but cleaned up like new! Charcoal blue with great case colors, stamped "BF" 1995.
I think the next one in the colt collection will have to be an 1860 Army.

Old March 6, 2008, 01:17 AM   #220
scrat

Jct those are very nice. Either that or you just really know how to take a picture. Either way you got me beat. Only way i could do better is to take my guns to photographer.
Old March 6, 2008, 01:29 AM   #221
JCT

Thanks, they are very nice, I love the grips on all these, I've lucked out with those. But the pics are nothing special, I just try to get the right lighting/angle and use the highest quality setting on the camera. Then I use "enhance" in my iPhoto program. It does all the work and really improves my otherwise average photos.
It's a whole challenge in itself to photograph guns, I'd like to get better at that actually, I think lighting is the key.
Old March 6, 2008, 01:43 AM   #222
Shawnee

Very nice photos - no matter how you arrived at them, JCT - and the guns are really great. Especially like that Dragoon !

Old March 6, 2008, 12:30 PM   #223
scrat

Good Morning WALKER members.
Old March 6, 2008, 02:16 PM   #224
scrat

Big Bad Gun Is The Man

BIG BAD GUN Just recieved my holster today. Very quick delivery by USPS. Fantastic work. Just Fantastic. The fit is perfect. What a great looking holster. Im just attaching the photo that you already posted until i can get some pics myself. Great work. Very Highly recomended. Anyone here looking to get a very good quality holster check out BBG. I had BBG put down USMR. For The United States Mounted Rifles. The engraved on my WALKER.

Old March 6, 2008, 02:48 PM   #225
bigbadgun

Thanks scrat again that holster is a bastardized 49er holster the belt loop is part of the back of the holster to hold the piece closer to the body. My design. Anytime you are ready for another let me know. I have a couple new designs that I have posted check out the Cabelas remmie thread.
"When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns".